• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Your next phone after the 6p?

Search This thread

Dconn1975

Nov 23, 2016
Birmingham
Although my Nexus 6p is brand new I'm still getting the iPhone 10 or X. I used to be exclusively apple up until about a year and half ago. Actually this is my second time owning the 6p and I love it. I think I'm safe for now on the battery issue since my 6p is new but being an apple guy by heart I want the X iPhone pretty badly. So if all goes according to plan I'll end up getting the iPhone X as my next device. If that falls through then I'll go back with the trusty honor 8. I used that device for a long time and loved it. Loved EMUI so I would not mind owning another. My other choice would be a one plus model. Maybe the 3t.

crixley

May 25, 2012
I got my first iPhone one week ago the iPhone 8 plus, the reason I bought it is to enjoy both Android and iOS without settling with just one. In a short answer Android all the way, I thought iOS will be smoother than Android but unless the apps are open beforehand on ios they simply lag like Android even worse, and don't get me started with the bits of visual hiccups when opening certain settings pages or system overall. I would say the things I love about the 8plus is the camera, the speakers they are really loud with a good bass and the battery is definitely good. In terms of software features I really got bored with the device after one day use.

Now if you are someone who can't afford to get two devices, I would say don't buy an Apple device go for the Pixel 2 XL or any Android device you like it's much worth it. I was waiting for Pixel 2 XL but since I own a 6p I said what's the point of owning two Android devices and what would I do with my 6p since its second hand value is depressing I would rather keep it than sell it plus it's good for another year until the Pixel 2 XL price goes down then I would salvage every penny from selling the 6p and get it.

Wow my 7 Plus was the fastest phone I've ever owned. I got bored of the os and the phone was much too large but never did I encounter lag

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
ASUS ROG Phone II
Wow my 7 Plus was the fastest phone I've ever owned. I got bored of the os and the phone was much too large but never did I encounter lag
The beauty of Android is you can customize anything on it,on my 6p I can speed up the animation or simply disable it so that my experience is enhanced to my specifications. But on iOS you are simply stuck with what is allowed for you to alter. Using Android default settings surely isn't as fast as I have described but after some customization my setup really flies.
By way this isn't a rant more like stating self experience findings.

crixley

May 25, 2012
The beauty of Android is you can customize anything on it,on my 6p I can speed up the animation or simply disable it so that my experience is enhanced to my specifications. But on iOS you are simply stuck with what is allowed for you to alter. Using Android default settings surely isn't as fast as I have described but after some customization my setup really flies.
By way this isn't a rant more like stating self experience findings.

I find the 6p pretty laggy. My s7 edge is very smooth though. I think it's due to the sd810 honestly.

CoNsPiRiSiZe

Jul 14, 2010
Roseville
While I enjoy many aspects of Android to be frank I am tired of having such customization. I know that sounds funny. I am certain it will take time to adjust to the idea that if I don't like a certain aspect of how things are set in iOS that I cannot change it.

The very idea that picking my iPhone out of the box it will work. iPhones work. That's the bottom line, everything packed into them is going to work for you. I don't have to tinker with 5 different settings in 3 tabs to get something to change in the way I want. iOS has come a long way in multitasking abilities. Android and iOS both experience draw time issues but realistically both platforms will forever run into these issues.

I want a phone that will work, be reliable, and I won't have to fidget with. I am done fidgeting... I want easy mode, that's iOS. iPhone 8 is running iOS11 out of the box, correct? Like any initial OS release from Apple (and Google) there are improvements that need to be made. There are glitches and issues with iOS 11 and those will be ironed out much sooner than glitches would be fixed if your carrier branded/skinned fix is sent out for your Android.

Out of the box, it works. That's what I want at the end of the day. I want a nice camera, iPhone always has a better picture regardless of the hardware. iPhone won't overheat on you so bad you could cook your dinner on it like my LG V10 or Nexus 6P. The battery has longevity. My 6P doesn't use the last 14% anymore. Android has always given me inconsistent battery life even day to day on the same ROM/kernel or even stock.

I think I have gotten my point across, I'm over Android. That's a hard thing for me to say but hey, it's happened.

I appreciate those trying to give me pros for Android but I know it all. Been here for years. All good. iOS and I will be getting acquainted here in the first week of November.

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
ASUS ROG Phone II
While I enjoy many aspects of Android to be frank I am tired of having such customization. I know that sounds funny. I am certain it will take time to adjust to the idea that if I don't like a certain aspect of how things are set in iOS that I cannot change it.

The very idea that picking my iPhone out of the box it will work. iPhones work. That's the bottom line, everything packed into them is going to work for you. I don't have to tinker with 5 different settings in 3 tabs to get something to change in the way I want. iOS has come a long way in multitasking abilities. Android and iOS both experience draw time issues but realistically both platforms will forever run into these issues.

I want a phone that will work, be reliable, and I won't have to fidget with. I am done fidgeting... I want easy mode, that's iOS. iPhone 8 is running iOS11 out of the box, correct? Like any initial OS release from Apple (and Google) there are improvements that need to be made. There are glitches and issues with iOS 11 and those will be ironed out much sooner than glitches would be fixed if your carrier branded/skinned fix is sent out for your Android.

Out of the box, it works. That's what I want at the end of the day. I want a nice camera, iPhone always has a better picture regardless of the hardware. iPhone won't overheat on you so bad you could cook your dinner on it like my LG V10 or Nexus 6P. The battery has longevity. My 6P doesn't use the last 14% anymore. Android has always given me inconsistent battery life even day to day on the same ROM/kernel or even stock.

I think I have gotten my point across, I'm over Android. That's a hard thing for me to say but hey, it's happened.

I appreciate those trying to give me pros for Android but I know it all. Been here for years. All good. iOS and I will be getting acquainted here in the first week of November.
Not trying to start an argument here, I know it's you personal experience and opinion. But the term "just works" it's hard for me to swallow, all of Android devices simply work fine without tinkering with any settings if you choose it to be. Simply open apps and get going with your business, if you want more options more optimizations then with Android you have the choice to do that which isn't the case for iOS. I got your point and it seems iOS is the right OS for you and nothing is wrong with that it's your preference but please stop repeating the line "it just works" because it really doesn't mean a thing at least to me.

crixley

May 25, 2012
Not trying to start an argument here, I know it's you personal experience and opinion. But the term "just works" it's hard for me to swallow, all of Android devices simply work fine without tinkering with any settings if you choose it to be. Simply open apps and get going with your business, if you want more options more optimizations then with Android you have the choice to do that which isn't the case for iOS. I got your point and it seems iOS is the right OS for you and nothing is wrong with that it's your preference but please stop repeating the line "it just works" because it really doesn't mean a thing at least to me.

"Rogue apps" and such still get annoying. iPhones are very consistent, which is why I switched, but very boring, hence why I switched back lol

Last edited:

Rashad83

May 13, 2011
ASUS ROG Phone II
After watching the Pixel 2 launch event and some reviews. I am not excited about any of the two variants they are both ugly. If I had to choose one I would go for the Pixel 2 instead of XL since it's cheaper by 200 USD and has the same specifications of the XL except screen and battery, saving 200 USD would be more worth it for buying accessories or future proofing knowing Google.

I think I will be using my 6p until the Pixel 2 goes down in price and the 6p stops receiving major updates.

I know it's heresy, but I bought myself an iPhone 8 Plus.
Why would a committed Android developer (You have no idea how long) jump ship to such a different device and ecosystem?
1. Regular updates.
These only come on two phones right now. Apple and Google phones. I am so disappointed in how Google treated me and the battery issues I was having with my 6P. They used every excuse in the book to refuse service to me. Bottom line- it was their name on the device. To me it didn't matter that I bought the phone from a third party. Google failed to stand behind it. That only left me with one other choice- Apple.
2. International capabilities.
I travel a lot for work. I'm typing this while in Japan. Next week I may be in Seattle, or San Jose. The following week I will be in Europe. No matter where I go, I need a phone that will work on a wide selection of local carriers. Again, that leaves me only two choices. Nexus/Google or Apple.

So how has it been in my first two weeks?
1. I have already received two updates. (11.01 and 11.02) Both installed and rebooted with no issues.
2. I detest the keyboard options. WTF- can't anyone give me a damn keyboard with a number row on the top?
3. iTunes- a complete cluster fork. I had 2 hours to copy some of my music on to this new phone before heading back to the airport. There is no way to directly copy to the NAND in this phone. It has to go through iTunes. iTunes does not understand ape files (235+ CDs in my collection have been ripped to this) I really am getting pissed at this crappy "walled garden". I am smarter than my phone, yet it does not treat me this way.
4. The shell. A mild PITA that isn't any worse than anything I had on Android. Although I do miss my big clock widget that always told me the time at home as well as where I am now.
5, Apps. Hey- these are pretty cool. I'm still trying to deal with a lack of a back arrow function, but these apps are far more consistent in their UI design. Also, the extra work developers are putting in to little stuff like animations is very nice.

So all in all, it's mixed. I am committed for another 11 months or so, but after that I may have to consider Android again. I hope they have fixed their attitude about customer support by then. And it would be even nicer if the return to the 3.5mm plug. Or maybe LG will offer regular updates for the V30.

Im dying to see a 6p vs pixel xl 2 speaker battle!

Wish they had offered a 256gb version because i love the rest of the device but i don't think 128 will be enough.

sent from my Note FE

Xl2 with accidental care warranty is around 1600 cad . My 6p with 128gb and accidental care was only 900 something.. Wow.... If they planned a 256gb it will be close to 2000 :eek:

Reactions: crixley

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
Xl2 with accidental care warranty is around 1600 cad . My 6p with 128gb and accidental care was only 900 something.. Wow.... If they planned a 256gb it will be close to 2000 :eek:

Yeah i still think they overprice too much, the XL2 is nice but in comparison to say a note 8 it does still lack some features and shouldnt be as expensive.

If it didn't have those front firing speakers i wouldnt even consider it.

sent from my Note FE

Reactions: crixley
Im dying to see a 6p vs pixel xl 2 speaker battle!

Wish they had offered a 256gb version because i love the rest of the device but i dont think 128 will be enough.

sent from my Note FE

Yeah i still think they overprice too much, the XL2 is nice but in comparison to say a note 8 it does still lack some features and shouldnt be as expensive.

If it didn't have those front firing speakers i wouldnt even consider it.

sent from my Note FE
I was waiting for pixel but very much disappointed with what Google has done.. They are trying to transform to apple with excessive pricing for the subpar product, making fun of 3.5mm jack and pulling the plug on that and so on. They are not even including a free adaptor ( even apple and moto gives away a free adaptor).... so much to say:(

I have decided to go with note 8. Now need to find the proper Exynos that can be rooted. With the OEM unlock fiasco, I have to check what version I have to purchase. Pdaplaza.ca seems to have the best price now. I am not sure if they are selling the rootable Exynos.
Any ideas on their reliability of this site?

force70

Jan 27, 2012
toronto
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
I was waiting for pixel but very much disappointed with what Google has done.. They are trying to transform to apple with excessive pricing for the subpar product, making fun of 3.5mm jack and pulling the plug on that and so on. They are not even including a free adaptor ( even apple and moto gives away a free adaptor).... so much to say:(

I have decided to go with note 8. Now need to find the proper Exynos that can be rooted. With the OEM unlock fiasco, I have to check what version I have to purchase. Pdaplaza.ca seems to have the best price now. I am not sure if they are selling the rootable Exynos.

For the note 8 100% with out OEM issue you need eirher a korean N version or order the F version from clove UK.

Other than those 2 your rolling the dice

sent from my Note FE

Reactions: Techvir

jt3

Aug 13, 2007
I was a bit sad to see that the new pixels don't have wireless charging, but I've been having serious battery issues with my 6P, so I was torn between buying a P2XL, or using my Fi insurance, and probably getting a Pixel XL (for the $99 deductible). Ultimately, between the camera (OIS+EIS? Yeah, baby!), the IP67 rating, and the squeezable frame (I use Google Assistant constantly -- many times per day), I decided there was enough value for me to go ahead and go for the P2XL. I ordered the 128GB Just Black. Estimated delivery on 10/25.

NepoRood

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 26, 2016
Bugtussle

Good things are coming for the Note 8, wait before you buy ;)

These phone manufacturers will charge whatever they like, as long as we continue to pay. I remember when I thought $400 was outrageous for a phone...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the nexus 6p has taught me how greatly important it is for phones to have a removable battery. I not will pay another $550+ for a smartphone, only to barely get 2 hours of SOT after a year of using it. I really hate planned obsolescence. I am trying to find a high end phone with removable battery other than LG ( bootloop ). But I think it's hard to find one in 2017 and later.
    I just bought an s7 edge and am keeping my 6p as well, but I'll be honest, the edge performs a million times better, has better battery life and a much nicer screen. The one thing making me keep the 6p is stock Android. Otherwise the build quality is absolute crap.

I had to reply to this because this is wrong in every possible way. Both phones have similar specs and you're talking about the 6P just like it was a 2009 mid-range smartphone.

the edge performs a million times better
    Why didn't you go with "billion" or even "trillion" times instead? I bought my 6P on 2016/01/01 and it still runs very smoothly and fast. I'm sure many 6P users are in the same situation. You wouldn't notice any major difference with your S7 Edge as far as performance goes, trust me.

has better battery life
    Battery life mostly depends on your usage and environment (signal, ROM and kernel, installed apps, Bluetooth, tethering, Wi-Fi or data, brightness and so on). Some people can achieve 6 hours SoT with their 6P, as far as I'm concerned I'm easily getting between 24 and 36 hours of standby time with moderate usage. You'll find 6P users getting bettery battery life than S7 Edge users and vice versa.

Both phones have similar battery capacity (3600 mAh for the S7 edge and 3450 mAh for the 6P) and I assume your 6P's battery is older than your S7 Edge's. Which makes the comparison quite biased in any case.

and a much nicer screen
    Yet another statement out of nowhere. Both phones have a Quad HD AMOLED display. Perhaps you say so because of the curved edge screen on the S7 Edge but I think that "much nicer" isn't really appropriate here.

Otherwise the build quality is absolute crap.
    "Absolute crap" build quality? really dude? I'm not even arguing on that one. Anyone with common sense will agree with me: your choice of words is nothing but irrelevant.
    I'm not getting rid of my 6p until i have to. Best phone I've ever had. The only reason people have bad battery life is because your battery is getting old, deal with it, replace it and your good to go again. Just like ANY OTHER sealed phone eventually. Anyone who complains about the processor being outdated as well just wants to justify getting a new phone for no reason IMHO. I haven't found anything yet that will tax my processor enough to have to get something new. Even if my 6p gives up the ghost for good, I'll probably buy another used one to replace it rather than spending insane amounts of money on something new and "improved"

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Yea tell me about it ! Battery life is horrible , buddy of mine at work has a S7 edge that gets double the battery life as my phone

Give it time, his battery will give out one day to. EVERYTHING has a life span.
    Snap! 6P is really good other than the battery issues. I recently replaced my battery so have a new lease of life on it, will keep it til it dies.

There's just nothing that has the wow factor on the market for me at the moment. Most things just look okay-ish, not worth upgrading for

The 6P has become unusable for me as a daily at this point. I just joined project fi and plan on using the 6P as a second phone just for fun. I never had the battery shut down issue but the 810 is crap. It lags, overheats, drains the battery and can do all those things at once at the most inopportune time. The thing that really broke the camel's back was my experience with Nougat and the DJI Go 4 app. The two just doesn't get along, crashes, freezes, etc. I can't have it constantly crashing on me when I'm flying my Mavic Pro. So at first, the 7+ was going to share duties as my daily with the 6P. But after a month, the 6P is just sitting in the drawer. Android is fun sometimes but at this point, I think I enjoy more having a phone that is fast and reliable. So I got an Apple Watch series 2 to replace the Moto 360 Sport as well. I'll still play with the 6P as my second phone but after the 6P takes its last breath, I'm probably done with Android because there are no fixes to the fragmentation issues. The sad part is, the 6P is a Google product and runs pure Android, yet they still couldn't make it a reliable product, proof to me that Android is flawed. I no longer like being an involuntary alpha/beta tester for Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The true limit of human retina resolution is about 20/8 or 20/6.

I have had a few patients resolve letters to this level after we corrected the higher order aberrations. After 30+ years in practice, I can attest to the fact that 20/10 vision is achieved by a very small minority.

Dr. G.
    Laserfitlens_dot_com