• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Youtube 2K?

Search This thread

Shtihi

Dec 28, 2009
Haifa
Hello people :)
i noticed that the youtube app in the note 4 is limiting the video resolution to 720p insted of the 2k resolution that our note 4 is capable of..
do you have some idea on how we can watch youtube at 2k?

Albe95

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 21, 2013
Verona (Italy)
Hello people :)
i noticed that the youtube app in the note 4 is limiting the video resolution to 720p insted of the 2k resolution that our note 4 is capable of..
do you have some idea on how we can watch youtube at 2k?

Open the video with chrome and set desktop view. Then choose 1440P resolution and watch your video ;) of course only work if that videos have high resolution.

ShannonAUT

Oct 15, 2010
Open the video with chrome and set desktop view. Then choose 1440P resolution and watch your video ;) of course only work if that videos have high resolution.

You still can't even watch 1080p with the YouTube app?
That crap really annoyed me on my Nexus 7 (2013) where you could only watch 720p at most. :-/

JUSMEJOSE

Jul 29, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Use the previous update of YouTube and you will be able to watch 1440p just disable auto update from Google playstore ....

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Uninstall YouTube ... reboot and install the version that I uploaded .... and disable auto update from Google playstore .....

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b7098m98nlm49qb/youtube-5.10.1.5.apk

mrlove6

Use the previous update of YouTube and you will be able to watch 1440p just disable auto update from Google playstore ....

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

Uninstall YouTube ... reboot and install the version that I uploaded .... and disable auto update from Google playstore .....

hey bro, i uninstalled my current version i think was 5.13 or so, restart and install urs but its not the 5.10.1.5 i think u uploaded wrong version, after install i found it is 5.9.0.13 and also support only 720p :)

Edit: i did find the 5.10.1.5 on internet installed it and still only 720p :S

Last edited:

JUSMEJOSE

Jul 29, 2008
Anaheim, CA
hey bro, i uninstalled my current version i think was 5.13 or so, restart and install urs but its not the 5.10.1.5 i think u uploaded wrong version, after install i found it is 5.9.0.13 and also support only 720p :)

Edit: i did find the 5.10.1.5 on internet installed it and still only 720p :S

That's weird .... Because im using it right now ... and im able to watch 1440p videos .....

Reactions: levi_jm

JUSMEJOSE

Jul 29, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Working for me ... try it one more time ..... I know it works because people from the LG G3 thread said was working good ...

Attachments

• 1413565129699.jpg
    1413565129699.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 4,620

oursoul

Apr 11, 2010
Chippenham
gamersx.co.uk
I downloaded the YouTube apk from your mediafire link and it worked for me.

It should be noted that I had to remove YouTube twice using System app remover (ROOT) (pro), firstly I removed from User Apps but then when I rebooted YouTube was still present and started updating automatically. I then removed another YouTube that was present in the System Apps section and so it was removed completely.

Installed the above apk and now can enjoy 2K YouTube videos :good:

8zAkTUs.png

Last edited:

paulrgod

Sep 17, 2008
Sheffield
I downloaded the YouTube apk from your mediafire link and it worked for me.

It should be noted that I had to remove YouTube twice using System app remover (ROOT) (pro), firstly I removed from User Apps but then when I rebooted YouTube was still present and started updating automatically. I then removed another YouTube that was present in the System Apps section and so it was removed completely.

Installed the above apk and now can enjoy 2K YouTube videos :good:

Anyone able to help me identify what i'm doing wrong here as i cant seem to get it working :(

Here's what i've done :-

Disabled Auto Updates for the Youtube App in the marketplace
Uninstalled the youtube app using Titanium
Restarted the phone
Installed the linked version of Youtube

Open it and still 720p is the max resolution i can select on a video i know goes to 4k resolution

Any help?

Cheers guys :)

Last edited:

Slai

Jun 17, 2011
Sandnes
Im using 5.10.3.5 and I get 1080p on videos that support it. Havent tried higher, because... well... my current device (Note 3) has a 1080p screen (soon to be a Note 4). According to google play, thats the last and latest version here in Scandinavia.

JUSMEJOSE

Jul 29, 2008
Anaheim, CA
Anyone able to help me identify what i'm doing wrong here as i cant seem to get it working :(

Here's what i've done :-

Disabled Auto Updates for the Youtube App in the marketplace
Uninstalled the youtube app using Titanium
Restarted the phone
Installed the linked version of Youtube

Open it and still 720p is the max resolution i can select on a video i know goes to 4k resolution

Any help?

Cheers guys :)

Root your device .... delete youtube from your system "Root Explorer Pro" redoot device ... make sure youtube is not in your system device . And know install the version that I posted ... and know you should be able to see 1440p resolution .....

Also make sure auto update is disable from your playstore

paulrgod

Sep 17, 2008
Sheffield
Ok, after some fiddling around, clearing cache, wiping data, removing, reinstalling etc i can now get the 1440p option to show... However when i select anything from the resolution selector nothing seems to happen. I click the cog again and the resolution is the same as it was before ...

oursoul

Apr 11, 2010
Chippenham
gamersx.co.uk
Ok, after some fiddling around, clearing cache, wiping data, removing, reinstalling etc i can now get the 1440p option to show... However when i select anything from the resolution selector nothing seems to happen. I click the cog again and the resolution is the same as it was before ...

It's not perfect, which is why I imagine it was removed from later updates.

On mine I noticed it would autoselect a lower (720p) resolution when I was far from my router but nearer it would stay on 1440p, we have fibre optic broadband but the router is pretty crap so it makes sense to me.

paulrgod

Sep 17, 2008
Sheffield
It's not perfect, which is why I imagine it was removed from later updates.

On mine I noticed it would autoselect a lower (720p) resolution when I was far from my router but nearer it would stay on 1440p, we have fibre optic broadband but the router is pretty crap so it makes sense to me.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the reason - even if i select 480p it doesn't change anything...

I've gone back to the latest Youtube app at 720p for now - until Google get their **** sorted.

CJPRICO

May 12, 2011
Ok. I was able to see 1440p videos after this was done. And just today i cant no longer been trying to view a video in 1440p and now it only shows on 720p
I deleted the youtube app clean cache . Tempe files etc restarted phone and installed again and i dont know what happened i no longer can see the 1440p again

Any other version Of youtube available or other way

bubu23

Nov 25, 2006
eilat
did same as shown but the youtube you post is 13 version no 5 and its same 720p maximum why???

update:i now see the 1080p or 1440 but when i choose nothing happened when i check it back to 720p???

Last edited:

CJPRICO

May 12, 2011
Im just using Chrome now and seeing youtube there cause in desktop view of youtube you can see 1080p, 1440p, and even 4k. And its nice very nice in this screen.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Guide to get 1440p working (root needed):

1. Wipe YouTube app
    2. Uninstall YouTube app
    3. Open file explorer that has root permission (i.e. es file explorer)
    4. Navigate to /system/ (Make sure it's mounted as r/w)
    5. Open build.prop
    6. Change the line at ro.build.version.release=4.4.4 to ro.build.version.release=5.0 and save
    7. Reboot device
    8. Download and install this YouTube version https://www.dropbox.com/s/vm9ncnzyy7g94pf/com.google.android.youtube-5.10.1.5.apk?dl=0
    9. Go to the play store and disable automatic updating of the YouTube app
    10. Open YouTube app and select a video that supports 1440p
    11. Pause the video and change the quality to 1440p
    12. Close the video (just the video, not the app)
    13. Select the video again
    14. Enjoy

I've made this guide as thorough as possible. The last few steps are optional and not always necessary, occasionally the setting for 1440p doesn't like to stick. A quick way to check if it took is if the load bar resets, if it does you don't need to close the video and reopen it.
    @oursoul , @snowblind2142, @Narekrocks, @hewlett62

So, I poked around some more and it looks like youtube was checking our build version in several places (both locally and at their end, ->server-side) I hooked all the checks I could find and rebuilt the .apk
    This should work guys. I still have some problems with the signature, so you have to manually remove youtube from system/app and replace it with this one: Download Modded YouTube.apk
    I tested this multiple times on two different Note 4's, with success. Hopefully third time's the charm. I really hope this one works for you :)

Instructions for those reading this the first time:
    1. You Must be Rooted
    2. Disable YouTube auto-updates from play store
    3. Uninstall YouTube completely from your system
    4. Check to see that there is nothing left of the old installation, both in the system/app and system/priv-app folders.
    5. Push this Modded YouTube.apk to system/app
    6. Reboot and load up YouTube. You should now have the option to watch videos in 1440p

-Mike

I hated the fact that editing the build.prop broke S Note etc, so I patched the newest youtube 6.0.13 to send version 5.0 to the youtube server in order to enable 1440p without editing the build.prop
    You will still need to completely uninstall/remove YouTube from your device and replace the YouTube.apk in system/app tho(remember to set correct permissions, reboot and disable auto update from play store).

Link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82165744/YouTube.apk

-Mike
    Finally new youtube update 5.18.5 bring again 2k resolution to 2k devices.
    Note : For choosing different resolution to work,dont forget to wipe data youtube in setting/app after u instal new update.
    http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/youtube/youtube-5-18-5-apk/
    16df419a05829aa52507533ab5545536.jpg

7e9065a3b81ccaf99668cfdb504c15d7.jpg

Thanks to google and apkmirror.