General YouTube Vanced Being Pulled

Search This thread

stalls

Jan 20, 2011
Iowa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Seems like vanced manager doesn't work anymore.
Unfortunately, I've updated the version of my phone and now I don't have youtube vanced.
I was able to download apk bundle from apkmirror, but I don't know how to install it as a root app, because I don't want to use microG seems like it's draining the battery sometimes.
I have a rooted phone.
I used adb to uninstall the youtube system app.

adb shell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.youtube

I then used a backup file on ti backup to restore. Or u could use adb to install. Then use vanced to reinstall.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013

adb shell

I then used a backup file on ti backup to restore. Or u could use adb to install. Then use vanced to reinstall.
I think he is referring to the aspect of no longer being able to install the apps from the original vanced manager.

You can still install Vanced Manager, however, you can no longer download the YT Vanced and YTM Vanced apps via Vanced Manager. There are, however, alternative options that are indeed working on A13.

CitizenStile

Jul 10, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I would recommend looking into ReVanced, specifically ReVanced Builder. When I started having issues getting Vanced manager to download the packages, I came across RV Builder and was able to follow its simple GUI to create and install ReVanced. It is not distributed in the same way as Vanced and from my understanding it should be less likely to get a cease and decist from google. It simply patches the existing google apk's

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
Seems like vanced manager doesn't work anymore.
Unfortunately, I've updated the version of my phone and now I don't have youtube vanced.
I was able to download apk bundle from apkmirror, but I don't know how to install it as a root app, because I don't want to use microG seems like it's draining the battery sometimes.
I have a rooted phone.
Vanced Official (direct install - doesn't need Vanced Manager). Be aware though, it comes with A LOT of built-in trackers - 55 to be exact. 😡

Since you are rooted I recommend installing App Manager from F-Droid. It does a very good job at stopping those pesky trackers and it's one of those "gems in the dirt" FOSS apps no one knows about.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivanzipfer

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Vanced Official (direct install - doesn't need Vanced Manager). Be aware though, it comes with A LOT of built-in trackers - 55 to be exact. 😡

Since you are rooted I recommend installing App Manager from F-Droid. It does a very good job at stopping those pesky trackers and it's one of those "gems in the dirt" FOSS apps no one knows about.
F-droid is similar to social media by blocking people for ideological motives. I will most likely install directly from their source. Thanks for the app recommendation.

EDIT: This is an excellent app. Thanks for the help!

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I would recommend looking into ReVanced, specifically ReVanced Builder. When I started having issues getting Vanced manager to download the packages, I came across RV Builder and was able to follow its simple GUI to create and install ReVanced. It is not distributed in the same way as Vanced and from my understanding it should be less likely to get a cease and decist from google. It simply patches the existing google apk's
I was able to do this with windows/ADB/JDK17 but not with termux in android itself. Thanks for this tool link!

Reactions: pierro78

rester555

Oct 27, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I compiled on windows 11 and when the app installs using the windows 11 method of injection, the app keeps force closing. Did it do this for you?

EDIT: I am attempting through Termux on android device.

EDIT2: It works using android build! It's better than using vanced manager. More control over which version of youtube you want to use.

Last edited:

stalls

Jan 20, 2011
Iowa
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I think he is referring to the aspect of no longer being able to install the apps from the original vanced manager.

You can still install Vanced Manager, however, you can no longer download the YT Vanced and YTM Vanced apps via Vanced Manager. There are, however, alternative options that are indeed working on A13.

adb shell

That above is the exact method I used and I downloaded and installed through vanced manager just fine.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
That above is the exact method I used and I downloaded and installed through vanced manager just fine.
That's odd as the download links utilized within vanced manager aren't live any longer. You may have gotten it installed a day or two before the links were killed. Or perhaps you changed to a custom URL from within the vanced manager's settings?

lottarake

Dec 14, 2010
Manchester
Google Pixel 6 Pro
That's odd as the download links utilized within vanced manager aren't live any longer. You may have gotten it installed a day or two before the links were killed. Or perhaps you changed to a custom URL from within the vanced manager's settings?
Once you restore the app, Vanced Manager will show the downloads as available for reinstallation. I've done this as well to reinstall for the amoled variant.

cd993

May 8, 2009
London
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

With all the trackers now disabled for this Vanced version using App Manage, do you feel this is safe to log into? Or perhaps the newer Revanced is the safer option?

EDIT/UPDATE - just used the Revanced magisk module which is super simple & safe feeling. Just flash in Magisk and it patches stock YouTube app with all vanced features. Plus using Mindetach to hide it from Play Store updates, all working nicely!

Last edited:

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
With all the trackers now disabled for this Vanced version using App Manage, do you feel this is safe to log into? Or perhaps the newer Revanced is the safer option?

EDIT/UPDATE - just used the Revanced magisk module which is super simple & safe feeling. Just flash in Magisk and it patches stock YouTube app with all vanced features. Plus using Mindetach to hide it from Play Store updates, all working nicely!
I know nothing about Revanced but I'll definitely give it a try.

As for logging in to YouTube, I believe the greatest danger lies in voluntarily creating traceble breadcrumbs for Google to keep building data on you, much more than exposing yourself to pesky ads from an obscure developer. For that reason, personally, I would never login to the YouTube app, instead I use a dedicated (key word = dedicated) browser where I'm logged in to my Google account for YouTube comments, account management, etc.

While I do realize the inconveniences of this approach, I strongly believe it's the only way to efficiently safeguarding against greedy corporations - just stop playing their dirty games.

P.S. I use New Pipe for bookmarking and otherwise organizing YouTube videos. You like a video, you can simply share it from YouTube, open it in New Pipe and then organize it the same way you would do in YouTube. The fundamental differences:
1. NO ACCOUNT NECESSARY!!! AND
2. New Pipe is a known, private FOSS app.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lughnasadh

Lughnasadh

Mar 23, 2015
Google Nexus 5
Huawei Nexus 6P
P.S. I use New Pipe for bookmarking and otherwise organizing YouTube videos. You like a video, you can simply share it from YouTube, open it in New Pipe and then organize it the same way you would do in YouTube. The fundamental difference, NO ACCOUNT NECESSARY!!!
That's what I do to. Copy the links of my playlists from YouTube and bookmark them in NewPipe. Also import my subscriptions via Takeout. Works out pretty well.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
Once you restore the app, Vanced Manager will show the downloads as available for reinstallation. I've done this as well to reinstall for the amoled variant.
Gotcha. So you mustn't have done a full wipe during the phone update as the download links are no longer present. The option to reinstall, however, still shows up if the local apk files are still in storage.

I went through this process yesterday and the links were no longer present after a full device wipe during my upgrade to the stable build of A13. Those download links, when fetched, were definitely killed as they no longer work on a normal desktop web browser. But regardless, it isn't too big a deal considering there are plenty of Magisk modules out there now for ReVanced =)

Last edited:

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
That's what I do to. Copy the links of my playlists from YouTube and bookmark them in NewPipe. Also import my subscriptions via Takeout. Works out pretty well.
I've never used Takeout but I will definitely give it a try - thanks for sharing! 👍

The whole point of this exercise though, is getting rid of all Google traces - which means a deGoogled phone:
- No Google account on the phone,
- No Google Play Services,
- No Google Play Store
- Alternative YouTube apps (obviously without logging in).
- I still use Maps strictly for navigation (no searches) but without logging in. An excellent FOSS Maps substitute, for searches and directions only (no navigation) is GMaps WV from F-Droid - which is in fact a Google Maps WebView Wrapper.

That's it for Google! 😁

Lastly, AdGuard perfectly complements my anonymity efforts.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My 8 year old daughter has had vanced on her tablet for years. Whenever she says to friends about a video she watched she doesn't say "I saw that on YouTube", she says "I saw that on YouTube vanced" 🤣🤣
    Awful news.

Vanced apparently got a cease & desist and will be pulling all links in a few days. Current Vanced should still work until the api is updated. Possibly up to two years but Google could update it anytime. Really awful news since there is currently no good alternatives on Android other than Adguard (which thankfully I have). With Adguard, you can play a video and then click share and select Adguard and it will play the video and free in the Adguard app but no background play and no sponsorskip.

We can only hope that somehow an alternative is released before the api is updated.
    There is an amazing alternative: NewPipe

• Search videos
    • No Login Required
    • Display general info about videos
    • Watch YouTube videos
    • Listen to YouTube videos
    • Popup mode (floating player)
    • Select streaming player to watch video with
    • Download videos
    • Download audio only
    • Open a video in Kodi
    • Show next/related videos
    • Search YouTube in a specific language
    • Watch/Block age restricted material
    • Display general info about channels
    • Search channels
    • Watch videos from a channel
    • Orbot/Tor support (not yet directly)
    • 1080p/2K/4K support
    • View history
    • Subscribe to channels
    • Search history
    • Search/watch playlists
    • Watch as enqueued playlists
    • Enqueue videos
    • Local playlists
    • Subtitles
    • Livestream support
    • Show comments
    Awful news.

Vanced apparently got a cease & desist and will be pulling all links in a few days. Current Vanced should still work until the api is updated. Possibly up to two years but Google could update it anytime. Really awful news since there is currently no good alternatives on Android other than Adguard (which thankfully I have). With Adguard, you can play a video and then click share and select Adguard and it will play the video ad free in the Adguard app but no background play and no sponsorskip.

We can only hope that somehow an alternative is released before the api is updated.
    Sad news, seems all apk links have already been removed from their site already? (Can't download anything from api.vanced).

With their code being available on GitHub & old devs/mods already distributing their own builds earlier in the year, I don't doubt that this will be back in some shape or form (probably by an anonymous dev) when an update is actually needed. I can't really understand Google's decision to take this action though; no one I know personally who owns a Android device knows what Vanced is when I mention it (even the techy people) & whenever a company goes on the warpath in a attempt to destroy something, multiple clones always pop up (sometimes even becoming bigger than the original because of news stories, etc).
    Personally Vanced caused more trouble for me (multiple casting device copies, etc.) than it was worth. How to get around it? Sub to YT. 😁 Just sayin'...