YouTube with no background play

Search This thread

tdoughone

Dec 20, 2010
Stock YouTube app is updated and does not work with background play. The option doesn't show in settings either. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know a fix? Very frustrating.

GregNexus

Jan 25, 2015
Bielefeld
Stock YouTube app is updated and does not work with background play. The option doesn't show in settings either. Has anyone had this problem and does anyone know a fix? Very frustrating.

Same problem, but i found a workaround:D

choose a video and press play
when the video is playing, quickly double tap the powerbutton (so the display will be turned off and directly turned on and you'll be on the lockscreen, but the video keeps playing in the background:) nice for hearing music

tdoughone

Dec 20, 2010
Sorry, I have the play music subscription and it works for me. My friend has the phone with no play nusic subscription and he is the one with the problem. We figured that was the problem but asked in here just to be sure. Thanks for all of the help. It should just be available to everyone lol

v2.2v

Jun 10, 2010

OMG finally i found a thread with my issue lol I have been searching on my phone with no luck...it wasn't until I tried searching on my computer and filtered the results to "this week" did i find this thread....anywaaaaay lol I have the same issue, incredibly frustrating. I pay for Google Music All Access (which of course comes with Music Key as you said) and yet I don't have "background/offline" functionality anymore either.

I do not have the Nexus 6. I have the Galaxy S6. But I don't really see how that is relevant. I just wanted to mention just in case

Last edited:

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
OMG finally i found a thread with my issue lol I have been searching on my phone with no luck...it wasn't until I tried searching on my computer and filtered the results to "this week" did i find this thread....anywaaaaay lol I have the same issue, incredibly frustrating. I pay for Google Music All Access (which of course comes with Music Key as you said) and yet I don't have "background/offline" functionality anymore either.

I do not have the Nexus 6. I have the Galaxy S6. But I don't really see how that is relevant. I just wanted to mention just in case

dont have the functionality any more.. did you ever have it on the sgs6?

tdoughone

Dec 20, 2010
My friend that has it on the nexus 6 also has the subscription. I said he didn't be we just confirmed he has the 6 month free subscription for purchasing the nexus 6 and no YouTube background option. He is also subscribed to the YouTube key.

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
He just unlocked and rooted. Had the problem before that. Now that the phone was wiped it still had no background play

still odd. i did nothing to tirn it on or enable it. it jist started up when i signed up for google play music services. it actually surprised me, as i didnt know that it was included, at first. he did open google play music, and sign into his account? if not, it wont work.

tdoughone

Dec 20, 2010
still odd. i did nothing to tirn it on or enable it. it jist started up when i signed up for google play music services. it actually surprised me, as i didnt know that it was included, at first. he did open google play music, and sign into his account? if not, it wont work.

Yup, he did and his subscription renewal date is 5/22/15.

v2.2v

Jun 10, 2010
My friend that has it on the nexus 6 also has the subscription. I said he didn't be we just confirmed he has the 6 month free subscription for purchasing the nexus 6 and no YouTube background option. He is also subscribed to the YouTube key.

have him uninstall youtube, reboot, then reinstall it. it should work right away.

He just unlocked and rooted. Had the problem before that. Now that the phone was wiped it still had no background play

Yup, he did and his subscription renewal date is 5/22/15.

@tdoughone In order to use background play you need to have a YouTube Music Key Subscription. If you have that already it should work fine for you but I suspect that is your issue.
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6060868?hl=en

i have a google play music subscription, which includes the youtube music key, and background playing works as it should.

Sorry, I have the play music subscription and it works for me. My friend has the phone with no play nusic subscription and he is the one with the problem. We figured that was the problem but asked in here just to be sure. Thanks for all of the help. It should just be available to everyone lol

dont have the functionality any more.. did you ever have it on the sgs6?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...sic-key-and-google-has-no-idea-how-to-fix-it/

Looks like it is a known issue...thankfully. Guess we will see how long it takes to fix...considering we pay for it!

EDIT:
lol are you kidding me...just opened youtube app and saw the "offline" option in the slide out menu from the left...checked settings...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-17-10-45-06.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-17-10-45-06.png
    92.2 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

kolyan

Jan 8, 2008
My buddy with N6 claiming he has YouTube background playback (no actual settings in app) without any Music Key or any other Google services. He always thought its N6 feature because his N7 doesn't have it. He is on ATT.

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone