YT9216BJ (MT8227L) Head Unit Root Question

Search This thread

Reckerr

Feb 26, 2012
So I bought this head unit and i am looking to root it. I'm accustomed to XDA and rooting and I also found the russian forum that disscusses these head units but I'm lost. It seems mine is newer(?) or more up to date than im seeing. It says android 10.1(it seems to be really 9) and is API 27.

Things i see seem to be giving root for my device but downgrading it. Is there any assistance I can receive on this? Attached some screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-150626.png
    Screenshot_20201130-150626.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 295
  • Screenshot_20201130-150623.png
    Screenshot_20201130-150623.png
    44 KB · Views: 308
  • Screenshot_20201130-150554.png
    Screenshot_20201130-150554.png
    221 KB · Views: 314

ExtremeMOD

Aug 14, 2020
London
extrememod.co.uk
So I bought this head unit and i am looking to root it. I'm accustomed to XDA and rooting and I also found the russian forum that disscusses these head units but I'm lost. It seems mine is newer(?) or more up to date than im seeing. It says android 10.1(it seems to be really 9) and is API 27.

Things i see seem to be giving root for my device but downgrading it. Is there any assistance I can receive on this? Attached some screenshots.

Okay so having the newer Android shouldn't be a problem as your unit type and MCU are right for modding.

I've successfully modded a similar unit only a couple of weeks back. Backup your current ROM by exporting the full memory dump, just in case of brick.

You start with installing TWRP recovery. Normally only version 3.0.2 will work. If not, try newer then older versions. One of them will stick.
After TWRP it's an easy ride. Install SuperSU v2.79 and if it doesn't work, try newer then older versions.
Now you can install Viper4Android. I suggest you stick to version 2.5.0.

Now just configure everything you need.

Reactions: waverz

Reckerr

Feb 26, 2012
Ok thanks for the reply. I did some searching today on the forum after reading your post but all I see is flashing a whole new rom.

Is there a guide to just install TWRP to my current stock rom(I actually like it) and then the usual SuperSU to obtain root priveleges?

ExtremeMOD

Aug 14, 2020
London
extrememod.co.uk
Ok thanks for the reply. I did some searching today on the forum after reading your post but all I see is flashing a whole new rom.

Is there a guide to just install TWRP to my current stock rom(I actually like it) and then the usual SuperSU to obtain root priveleges?

I just posted this this guide that provides custom firmware and lots of improvements to YT9216BJ, that includes TWRP, SuperSU and much much more. You can of course stick with the stock firmware but there is an option of making your unit much more appealing :)

YT9216BJ 8227L car launcher.png

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Okay so having the newer Android shouldn't be a problem as your unit type and MCU are right for modding.

I've successfully modded a similar unit only a couple of weeks back. Backup your current ROM by exporting the full memory dump, just in case of brick.

You start with installing TWRP recovery. Normally only version 3.0.2 will work. If not, try newer then older versions. One of them will stick.
    After TWRP it's an easy ride. Install SuperSU v2.79 and if it doesn't work, try newer then older versions.
    Now you can install Viper4Android. I suggest you stick to version 2.5.0.

Now just configure everything you need.