[YUGA]Ubuntu Touch for Xperia Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

iKillCypher

Jul 28, 2012
Im actually taking a look at the radio too I think I may found the issue on what is causing it but I dont have time to debug it :D I will look at it after work sorry..

Reactions: petertc and liliha

bbeanss

May 9, 2011
Coventry
Hey krabappel2548/xZain69

My Xperia Z has just been collecting dust since I got my I9300 back from repairs (at long last!) so I'm more than willing to test any dangerous/alpha builds, I've got phone insurance and a real bad case of flashoholism so if you need me just drop me a PM!

edit:

I've just installed the latest update and all I can say is that it's pretty smooth! there are a few niggles/bugs though:

Settings:

I can't select the following in settings:
  • Wi-Fi
  • Flight Mode
  • Rotation Lock
  • Bluetooth
  • In Background settings I can't select the option to change any Backgrounds
  • In the Reset Phone section, once selecting a reset option, the option to confirm my choice is unresponsive
  • In the brightness settings, adjusting the brightness has little/no effect and the slider doesn't 'slide' very well

General bugs that I've found so far:

• When turning the screen off the backlight doesn't turn off for me, which is turning out to be a huge drain on the battery
  • When going into an app sometimes it only displays on half of the screen with a line down the middle of the screen, I know this is so you can switch between apps, but even when I don't have any other apps open it will do this and I can't figure out a way to get it to display on the whole screen (maybe just me?)
    [*]The camera app so far has opened every time for me (although very, very slowly) but it does sometimes have trouble focusing properly
  • Selecting any of the tracks in the music section of the home screen does nothing
  • I don't think the Internal or External SD Cards are being recognised, or it may again just be me not knowing how to navigate the phone properly
  • I can't find a way of importing the music I have on my External SD Card to the music player, it keeps asking me to import music, but there doesn't seem to be any option that I can see to do so
  • The notification LED isn't working at all

Update 13/09/13

• Device doesn't always boot up, it just gets stuck at the FreeXperia bootlogo 4/10 times that you try to boot the phone up
  • For me the camera rarely opens, it just displays a blank white screen, but when the camera app does load, itonly ever displays a blank grey screen (as shown in the demo video uploaded earlier) that I can interact with e.g. pressing an area of the screen will show the focusing circle
  • WiFi is incredibly unstable, 6-7 times out of ten when booting the phone up, I can't turn WiFi on, the option to turn WiFi on in the status bar disappears and at the moment I can't access WiFi options through the settings app (as stated above)
  • Every so often the phone freezes up and goes into a random reboot, I've noticed it happens a lot when I'm removing apps from the 'Recent Apps' section of the Home Screen

Will update as I find more!

Beans

Last edited:

mamenyaka

Jan 30, 2013
Did he use your source? If he did then he should give you some credits for it. I think it's a XDA rule regarding using other peoples work. I did see his comments on your thread but not sure if he actually used your source from github or built from the scratch.
Anyways I hope you two can work together on this project and give us users the ultimate Ubuntu Touch experience. Thanks for all your hard work

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

Both ports use my source as base!
I made the first port with xZain69, but I was well aware of his lack of developmental skills, so that's why the Xperia Z has got a new skilled dev working on Ubuntu Touch, so please be thankful for krabappel2548, he knows what he's doing!

rohit25

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi
Google Pixel 2 XL
Both ports use my source as base!
I made the first port with xZain69, but I was well aware of his lack of developmental skills, so that's why the Xperia Z has got a new skilled dev working on Ubuntu Touch, so please be thankful for krabappel2548, he knows what he's doing!

Now only waiting for the radio to work.... Thanks a ton mate

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

rohit25

Jun 12, 2012
Delhi
Google Pixel 2 XL
Hey krabappel2548/xZain69

My Xperia Z has just been collecting dust since I got my I9300 back from repairs (at long last!) so I'm more than willing to test any dangerous/alpha builds, I've got phone insurance and a real bad case of flashoholism so if you need me just drop me a PM!

edit:

I've just installed the latest update and all I can say is that it's pretty smooth! there are a few niggles/bugs though:

Settings:

I can't select the following in settings:
  • Wi-Fi
  • Flight Mode
  • Rotation Lock
  • Bluetooth
  • In Background settings I can't select the option to change any Backgrounds
  • In the Reset Phone section, once selecting a reset option, the option to confirm my choice is unresponsive
  • In the brightness settings, adjusting the brightness has little/no effect and the slider doesn't 'slide' very well

General bugs that I've found so far:

• When turning the screen off the backlight doesn't turn off for me, which is turning out to be a huge drain on the battery
  • When going into an app sometimes it only displays on half of the screen with a line down the middle of the screen, I know this is so you can switch between apps, but even when I don't have any other apps open it will do this and I can't figure out a way to get it to display on the whole screen (maybe just me?)
  • The camera app so far has opened every time for me (although very, very slowly) but it does sometimes have trouble focusing properly
  • Selecting any of the tracks in the music section of the home screen does nothing
  • I don't think the Internal or External SD Cards are being recognised, or it may again just be me not knowing how to navigate the phone properly
  • I can't find a way of importing the music I have on my External SD Card to the music player, it keeps asking me to import music, but there doesn't seem to be any option that I can see to do so
  • The notification LED isn't working at all

Will update as I find more!

Beans
hey Bean.... could you please upload a video of ubuntu touch running on xperia z..... i want to look on how it looks on xperia z....

THanks in ADvance MAte...

bbeanss

May 9, 2011
Coventry
Hey all, the video of the Xperia Z running Ubuntu Touch will be down for a while because I've un-linked my G+ account from YouTube (can't standing the whole f*cking idea of it) I'm now in the process of re uploading it and will more than likely upload a higher quality, more in depth run through tomorrow!

I've also updated the bugs list with everything else I've found so far, will keep searching!

edit:
New YouTube video up!

Beans

Last edited:

jpacho89

Nov 3, 2012
Bilbao
Don't ask for estimated time of arrival.
Developers allways do their best for our devices ;)
you can donate if you want to help them developing quicker, but anyway it will be ready as soon as they can!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    For Xperia Z only!

*** Disclamer
    This is an Ubuntu Touch port, [B]ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP[/B] of your files before you install something.
    [B][COLOR="Red"]I am not responsible if you brick your device[/COLOR][/B], but I will try to help you if things go wrong.

Introduction
    This is a port of the Ubuntu Touch firmware, this is based on Cyanogenmod, but is not suited for daily use!
    You can find more info on the official Ubuntu Touch page
    This device is added to the list on ubuntu Touch pages, you can find the info here

Images
    - For more images check the screenshots tab of this devdb project

h8kh.png

Installation instructions
    Warning! The recovery in the Ubuntu Touch device image doesn't recognise external sd (Micro SD)
    - Reboot into recovery
    - Wipe data/factory reset
    - Flash device image
    - Flash ubuntu image - saucy-preinstalled-touch-armhf.zip
    - Reboot back into recovery
    - Fire up an adb shell and place the 70-yuga.rules file with your adb files
    adb push 70-yuga.rules data/ubuntu/usr/lib/lxc-android-config/
    - Reboot into system and wait for like 5-10min for first boot to complete!! It will reboot 3 times!

Download

Changelog
    Working
    Code:
    - ADB
    - Display
    - Touchscreen
    - WiFi
    - Rotation
    - Video playback
    - Camera - most of the time the app won't launch it, you need to be lucky :p
    - Sound with headphones

Not woking
    Code:
    - Speaker Sound
    - Cellular Radio

Thanks to:
    Code:
    - Ubuntu for the porting guide
    - Mamenyaka for his help and guidance

XDA:DevDB Information
    [YUGA]Ubuntu Touch for Xperia Z, a ROM for the Sony Xperia Z

Contributors
    krabappel2548
    ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Beta Release Date: 2013-09-05

Created 2013-09-06
    Last Updated 2013-09-08
    Here we go guys, the video that's taken me 3hrs to upload, don't forget to watch in 1080p!

If you want me to make a video that goes into detail of the specifics of Ubuntu Touch, let me know and I'll put one up.

Beans
    Working on AOSP kitkat for Z1, but Ubuntu Touch is in my to do list

Sent from my C6903 using xda app-developers app
    Hello to all of you,

I have some very sad news especially for Xperia Z1 and ZU users..

But first I wanna give a lot of thanks to all of you for the great support and confidence in me throughout my development times here on XDA, I've met some wonderful people and learned a lot. I know people respect me and it's given me a great feeling of satisfaction.

I have some really difficult issues/situation to deal with in real life now, I can't keep running away from it. I'm sorry to announce to the entire community I'll stop development right now.

I don't know if and when I'll come back. I hope I can come back, but it all depends on my personal situation. Please don't sent me a lot of pm's about the issues. Thank you.

Regards to all of you,

Krabappel2548
    :D damn, very nice job!

only 3 bugs, very impressive :)

Weltk, there might be more small bugs :D it's still in early stages and it isn't fast :p but if someone wants a taste of Ubuntu Touch it's here as good possible now, I'll try to fix some more little things of possible