Question Z Fold 3 battery life discussion

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Plot twist : it does not.

I do have to charge it twice a day. I never understood how do the users do to have 2 days of battery or 8h+ of SOT with actually using it with a few apps and just not leaving idling in an black screen with every sensors off and apps uninstalled.
Global power management never worked right.
Turn off all that junk, deal with battery hogs on a case by case basis. Individual app power management in settings does not invoke global power management.

-All- Samsung's need to be hand optimized for best battery life. On this device it seems to be critical. Use manual brightness control and avoid using is direct sunlight! Limits that to seconds not minutes. Temporarily disabling Google play Services will improve battery life; Gmail, Playstore, Google backup and Playstore are dependencies. All suck battery. No SD card slot makes you more depended on cloud, not good for battery life.
As for Android 12, avoid it... it's a mess.

In the last 2 years Samsung has been dropping the ball constantly... and continues to do so.
Last superb flagship release was the N10+ in my opinion and it still exceeds the newest releases in a number of mission critical ways including reliability, battery life, display color rendering index, form factor and expandable storage.
2 years, 3 generations and Samsung is still goofing up on its flagships... poor leadership.

Plot twist : it does not.

I do have to charge it twice a day. I never understood how do the users do to have 2 days of battery or 8h+ of SOT with actually using it with a few apps and just not leaving idling in an black screen with every sensors off and apps uninstalled.
I've had my Z Fold 3 for around 2 weeks now and I can get through a whole day with a single charge. I use my Z Fold 3 in tab and phone mode. I am quite a power user and use it mostly for gaming, media consumption and web browsing. I also use it for responding to emails and sign documents.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I've had my Z Fold 3 for around 2 weeks now and I can get through a whole day with a single charge. I use my Z Fold 3 in tab and phone mode. I am quite a power user and use it mostly for gaming, media consumption and web browsing. I also use it for responding to emails and sign documents.
Yeah but that will change as the battery degrades. At least it's only one battery to replace on this model.

My N10+'s 4300mAh battery's average usable lifespan is about 14 months... it's heavily used.
So you'll likely make 1 year, but 2 will be hard if heavily used especially in high ambient temperatures. Always replace Li's when they reach 80% of their original capacity to avoid a failure... which can damage the phone.

Yeah but that will change as the battery degrades. At least it's only one battery to replace on this model.

My N10+'s 4300mAh battery's average usable lifespan is about 14 months... it's heavily used.
So you'll likely make 1 year, but 2 will be hard if heavily used especially in high ambient temperatures. Always replace Li's when they reach 80% of their original capacity to avoid a failure... which can damage the phone.
That is the same with every electronic device.

Oct 20, 2021
I'm a heavy user and the phone battery lasts good enough for me. However, one of my apps lately they updated it and it is killing the battery for no reason, like it is in the background except for a few minutes a day, and using as much as 40% battery. I can't delete it because it is for a medical device I need all day, so they just need to fix the app fast (I've talked to them already, and the app also crashes often). So, if your battery is draining, check the battery section of the settings to find out which app it is.

Reactions: iceepyon

spart0n

I came to the fold3 from a pixel 6 pro which had a little bit bigger battery but after debloating to my specifics I get better battery life than the p6p had. Though content consumption on the big screen definitely eats through battery like crazy but is that totally expected? Yes it is

I recommend using this to debloat your fold3, https://adbappcontrol.com/en/ there's a forum thread for it because that's how I found it but I can't find that thread atm

Last edited:
Reactions: blackhawk

becosemsaida

Jul 29, 2008
Well i WAS (yes, WAS) about to buy this phone but you all scared me away from it........ I need a phone that lasts me through the day that may vary from 16H or more.. But let me give you my opinion on this thread, so in order to have a "flagship", top of the line, expensive phone i need to treat it as a Nokia 3310?? Right, i NEVER used anything that is compromising the full capacity of a phone. Using Note series from day 1 and now on Note20U and as a heavy user i will not starting compromising for a foldable one. I refuse to charge 2 or even 3 times a day, not possible. And charging several times small amounts will damage your battery if you do it a long time. I don't care for camaras but i need it to be productive, the larger screen would be a nice upgrade but to sacrifice not having a full day of usage is a big no no for me. Now i have to wait for the F4 to come out and see what Samsung did with that and maybe in a year or so i will consider a foldable.

Beco

hkr

Oct 31, 2008
You will be disappointed, don't expect F4 to be a battery wonder ... Foldables will always stay behind a phone with one screen.
Besides, if rumours might be right, F4 will be thinner than F3 therefore don't expect a big, bulky battery

Nastrahl

You will be disappointed, don't expect F4 to be a battery wonder ... Foldables will always stay behind a phone with one screen.
Besides, if rumours might be right, F4 will be thinner than F3 therefore don't expect a big, bulky battery

Indeed, but given the place taken by the SoC and a standard phone, they could have put two batteries instead of one to double the battery life.

Also, the image definition of less than a usual smartphone so it should actually take less battery.

jirka607

Aug 9, 2010
Alšovice
Xiaomi 11T Pro
I came to the fold3 from a pixel 6 pro which had a little bit bigger battery but after debloating to my specifics I get better battery life than the p6p had. Though content consumption on the big screen definitely eats through battery like crazy but is that totally expected? Yes it is

I recommend using this to debloat your fold3, https://adbappcontrol.com/en/ there's a forum thread for it because that's how I found it but I can't find that thread atm
Can you show what you debloated.
I will attach my list but I wonder if debloating can actually cause higher drain....so please let me know if I removed something I shouldn't have:

com.google.android.projection.gearhead
com.samsung.android.mapsagent
com.android.chrome
com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
com.samsung.android.rubin.app
com.android.bips
com.google.android.apps.tachyon
com.android.emergency
com.sec.android.emergencymode.service
com.facebook.system
com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.services
com.google.android.gm
com.google.android.feedback
com.google.android.apps.messaging
com.swiftkey.swiftkeyconfigurator
com.touchtype.swiftkey
com.microsoft.skydrive
com.google.android.printservice.recommendation
com.samsung.safetyinformation
com.samsung.android.scloud
com.samsung.android.app.spage
com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller
com.sec.spp.push
com.samsung.android.ipsgeofence
com.sec.android.app.safetyassurance
com.android.stk2
com.android.stk
com.android.traceur
de.axelspringer.yana.zeropage
com.sec.android.widgetapp.webmanual
com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
com.google.android.cellbroadcastreceiver

spart0n

Can you show what you debloated.
I will attach my list but I wonder if debloating can actually cause higher drain....so please let me know if I removed something I shouldn't have:

com.google.android.projection.gearhead
com.samsung.android.mapsagent
com.android.chrome
com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
com.samsung.android.rubin.app
com.android.bips
com.google.android.apps.tachyon
com.android.emergency
com.sec.android.emergencymode.service
com.facebook.system
com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.services
com.google.android.gm
com.google.android.feedback
com.google.android.apps.messaging
com.swiftkey.swiftkeyconfigurator
com.touchtype.swiftkey
com.microsoft.skydrive
com.google.android.printservice.recommendation
com.samsung.safetyinformation
com.samsung.android.scloud
com.samsung.android.app.spage
com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller
com.sec.spp.push
com.samsung.android.ipsgeofence
com.sec.android.app.safetyassurance
com.android.stk2
com.android.stk
com.android.traceur
de.axelspringer.yana.zeropage
com.sec.android.widgetapp.webmanual
com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
com.google.android.cellbroadcastreceiver
I'm not at my PC at the moment but I don't recognize package names lol I've been spoiled by adb app control. Anywho, all I did was select maximum debloat on the app and then didn't remove a few Google things that I actually use and then just let it remove everything else. And I'd offer to compare what I removed but I didn't keep a log or anything of what I uninstalled. Sorry bud.

RR-99

Nov 11, 2012
My Fold 3 is now running down much faster. It's now only just lasting the day, where it was lasting two days when new with just about the same set of apps.

I'm hoping that Sam will have good tradein deal for the Fold 4, don't fancy getting new batteries for the 3.

Reactions: spart0n

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
My Fold 3 is now running down much faster. It's now only just lasting the day, where it was lasting two days when new with just about the same set of apps.

I'm hoping that Sam will have good tradein deal for the Fold 4, don't fancy getting new batteries for the 3.
Replace batteries as needed to avoid a device damaging battery failure. Any swelling is a failure; do not charge in this state, replace asap💥
A Li has reached the end of its service life when it reaches 80% of its original capacity. It is considered degraded and should be replaced.
This is just routine maintenance, no big deal and important to do. Try to replace with a OEM battery and replace any factory seals that were breached with new ones.

Reactions: spart0n

RR-99

Nov 11, 2012
Well it's two batteries to be replaced, so I'm going to hold on for the Fold 4 release. If I can get a good tradein deal I'll take that, otherwise get the batteries replaced.

Interesting that Sam recommend limiting charge to 85% to prolong battery life. I haven't notice that with my Note phones.

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Well it's two batteries to be replaced, so I'm going to hold on for the Fold 4 release. If I can get a good tradein deal I'll take that, otherwise get the batteries replaced.

Interesting that Sam recommend limiting charge to 85% to prolong battery life. I haven't notice that with my Note phones.
Yeah two, ain't that swell?
Just keep an eye on it. If you see erratic fast charging happening that's a sign its failed.
This heavily used N10+ battery failed at about the 16 month mark. It took me a month to recognize that I had a battery failure in progress rather than a charging issue🤣 i was very lucky the swelling didn't damage the display. It's always cased so I didn't see the rear cover was bulging😖

I generally limit the charge on my N10+'s to 80-85% in part because after 80% and especially 90% fast charging ramps down a lot. Not much juice for the time. Li's prefer frequent midrange power cycling anyway so a charging limit at 85% is a good plan. My lower limit is 40%. Below 20% places higher stress on the battery because of increased temperature.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Replace batteries as needed to avoid a device damaging battery failure. Any swelling is a failure; do not charge in this state, replace asap💥
    A Li has reached the end of its service life when it reaches 80% of its original capacity. It is considered degraded and should be replaced.
    This is just routine maintenance, no big deal and important to do. Try to replace with a OEM battery and replace any factory seals that were breached with new ones.

Yes I have been monitoring apps and there's not one single app using a disproportionate amount of battery. It just runs down more quickly that it used to.
    This happens with every release of every new phone. It always takes a few days for it to settle as it's downloading apps, settings, updates, etc. It's WAY too early to compare battery life. Give it a week.
    WhatsApp has been running for 25 mins and eaten ~30%? You have something deeper going on there it looks like.
    please, for god sake how did you do it. just tell me already
    Lol... Just disable or uninstall all unused apps, turn off Google Discover & Samsung Free (the swipe right on homescreen thing), disable Google (the app, not account syncing) and Google Assistant, turn off Bluetooth/NFC/GPS until you need it, use a black theme, turn off unnecessary notifications, error reporting, and feedback, use static wallpaper, stop app auto updates and auto refresh (weather, stocks, etc), turn off always-on-screen.
    I don't do this, but for even more battery use 96hz or 60hz and turn off vivid screen mode.
    Digital wellbeing is a battery eating feature itself. Turn it off and you will get more battery time.
    LOL, What are people expecting??? We have a giant inner screen, AND an outside screen. Expecting ANYTHING close to your old normal phone is ridiculous.