• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Z Fold 3 battery life discussion

Search This thread

freezingpoint

May 24, 2013
Melbourne
Do you also get faster charging towards the end? I am using a wireless charger

That happened to me as well when I first charged to 100%.
I was a bit anxious that the battery was defective but everything seemed normal with usage and succeeding charges to 90%.
I don't usually charge past 90% but it seems the 90-100 tops up fast. Maybe they're limiting the maximum charging?

I don't know if it was mentioned before but the way that helped lengthen my battery life was turning the Screen Mode from Vivid to Natural. Bringing the screen refresh rate down to 60hz was marginal compared to the Screen Mode.
Your Comment should really have more praise. This is actually a good idea. I set mine to natural from the get go because I also do photography and vivid blows out the blues in my photos heavily.

But yes, it takes more power to display the increased color space. Since Samsung for some reason doesn't use color management properly, it is always showing the larger color space even if something is tagged srgb

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010
Your Comment should really have more praise. This is actually a good idea. I set mine to natural from the get go because I also do photography and vivid blows out the blues in my photos heavily.

But yes, it takes more power to display the increased color space. Since Samsung for some reason doesn't use color management properly, it is always showing the larger color space even if something is tagged srgb
or set refresh rate to 90 and enjoy speed and baetter battery

eswar539

Dec 8, 2012
or set refresh rate to 90 and enjoy speed and baetter battery
How? The app in xda forum is crashing all the time.

Any other way to set refresh rate to 96hz

Battery life sucks 😢

Screenshot_20210914-125655_Device care.jpg

Last edited:

klemen241

Jul 20, 2010

Attachments

• galaxy_max_hz_v7.14.12-release(1).apk
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
  • galaxy_max_hz_v7.14.12-release(1).apk
    2.4 MB · Views: 9

atvxda

Apr 3, 2008
Boston
Ok, this is my last screenshot. 120hz, 95% large screen use, natural screen mode, wifi & cell on all day, other radios off.

View attachment 5409457
That is outstanding. Even better than my Fold2. My Fold seems inconsistent. I charged up yesterday afternoon and am at 26% currently and that is running for 18h off of the charger. However, yesterday I got 5h 50m of SOT.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210914-090312_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210914-090312_Device care.jpg
    472.7 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: bryanhayn
View attachment 5410119After disabling the location battery life doubled 😬 I will just switch on it when I need it
Your stats show you charged it from near empty, back to full, then ran it down to near empty again to hit 8.5 hrs screen time. That's only about 4-4.5 hour screen on time per charge. Not that impressive.

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
Your stats show you charged it from near empty, back to full, then ran it down to near empty again to hit 8.5 hrs screen time. That's only about 4-4.5 hour screen on time per charge. Not that impressive.
This is roughly the ballpark figure that I'm also seeing on forums, and what I'm getting too. Anything beyond this is usually only achievable by running it as a 'brick'.

Also, whilst here, is anyone experiencing problems with the S pen glitching? Sometimes when typing, I have to hit a key multiple times before it registers, but using a finger to input works.

• Sad
Reactions: eswar539

kill.i.an

May 22, 2012
I got my Fold3 early in the U.K. — been using it since August 25th. The only way I've been able to get decent battery life is by having Power Saving Mode on constantly. I switched from an iPhone 12 so was used to a phone that lasts all day. I just can't get that kind of usage from the Fold3 without Power Saving Mode.

I've been reading through this thread... I'm going to try the 90Hz display trick because I'd really like to take advantage of a faster refresh rate if I can, and I'm also going to switch to using the natural color mode instead of vivid, since some users have said that also helps. Does anyone have any other tips?

I have Bluetooth on constantly because I also have a Galaxy Watch4, but I have been keeping a keen eye on app usage and getting rid of anything that runs in the background for too long. I've stopped using so many apps just because they were sapping too much battery life. So I know it's not that; I check usage regularly and use the tool inside the battery "menu" to optimize usage several times a day.

I do use Digital Wellbeing, but only to schedule bedtime mode. Could that be having an impact? I read one comment that said it's a battery life hog, but would it really use that much just scheduling bedtime mode?

JayRolla

Mar 8, 2011
I got my Fold3 early in the U.K. — been using it since August 25th. The only way I've been able to get decent battery life is by having Power Saving Mode on constantly. I switched from an iPhone 12 so was used to a phone that lasts all day. I just can't get that kind of usage from the Fold3 without Power Saving Mode.

I've been reading through this thread... I'm going to try the 90Hz display trick because I'd really like to take advantage of a faster refresh rate if I can, and I'm also going to switch to using the natural color mode instead of vivid, since some users have said that also helps. Does anyone have any other tips?

I have Bluetooth on constantly because I also have a Galaxy Watch4, but I have been keeping a keen eye on app usage and getting rid of anything that runs in the background for too long. I've stopped using so many apps just because they were sapping too much battery life. So I know it's not that; I check usage regularly and use the tool inside the battery "menu" to optimize usage several times a day.

I do use Digital Wellbeing, but only to schedule bedtime mode. Could that be having an impact? I read one comment that said it's a battery life hog, but would it really use that much just scheduling bedtime mode?
Disabling wifi and bluetooth scanning helped a lot for my phone. Also instead of running in battery save mode always I setup Bixby routines to turn on battery save only when closed and to turn off when opened. I use the front screen for most stuff other than media content so it helped me save a lot of battery.

kill.i.an

May 22, 2012
Disabling wifi and bluetooth scanning helped a lot for my phone. Also instead of running in battery save mode always I setup Bixby routines to turn on battery save only when closed and to turn off when opened. I use the front screen for most stuff other than media content so it helped me save a lot of battery
Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to find a setting for scanning in the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth menus.

The Bixby tip is great — I'll give that a try!

SquithyX

May 24, 2006
Bradford
So glad its not just me, I have upgraded from my now over 2 year old Fold 5G to the Fold3 and the Battery life is dismal to say the least! I can use my Fold 5G for a full day at work... only using the main screen, bluetooth music, Wireless Android Auto, multiple checking / playing with and all the other good stuff and still have at least 35% battery life when i get home 14hrs later. I have NEVER had the Fold 5G power off on me in the last 2 years, have had the Fold3 for a week and only managed to make it through a full working day once and then it was at 6% when i hot home, after driving in silence as i had turned off AA and limited my usage through the shift!

Will be trying the refresh rate, wellbeing and wifi / bluetooth fixes - non of which were needed on the Fold 5G

nswenson

Jan 9, 2008
Palo Alto, CA
Turning on Battery Saver mode with default settings, location precision off, and natural color profile makes the battery life acceptable for me. I also enabled battery protection (85% charge limit) and can get near 7 hours SOT. You basically pick up a little over 2 hours SOT with these settings. Regarding 85% charge limit, I think it’s a good idea as the batteries in this device will be very difficult to replace as compared to normal phones. Better to top off many times a day when possible then to run full battery cycles which will degrade battery significantly in 2 to 3 years. That last 15% to reach 100% is the most damaging for Lithium batteries.

ShaKki

Jul 26, 2011
Frankfurt
The first two days for me were pretty rough but i knew the battery will learn some stuff, many updates and playing arround.

Ytd i went to real life daily working routines and i'm pretty happy . Over 8h SOT

GPS on, NFC on, Wifi on, 5g on, no energy saving modes above 15%

SOT.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm testing battery savings with digital wellbeing permissions revoked, and then with it fully disabled to see how much it can help. Almost 4 hours SOT at half battery with 90% inner screen use. Yesterday was the first day and it honestly seemed to make a noticeable difference, but since it was only the first day, there could be other variables. Time will tell
    Mine has been decent after some adjustments...........60hz refresh rate, turn off nearby device scanning, turn off wifi when not in use, Screen mode to Natural, screen timeout to 1 minute, in Developer Options - change animation scale, transition scale, duration scale to .5x.
    About the end of my first week of having the device, something was draining my battery..........went from 90% down to 60% really fast.................I rebooted it and placed on the charger, then started adjusting the settings and seems to be fine ever since.
    Am I wrong for being ok with this. 5g turned off. 96hz both screens mostly inner screen used. No battery saving
    This happens with every release of every new phone. It always takes a few days for it to settle as it's downloading apps, settings, updates, etc. It's WAY too early to compare battery life. Give it a week.
    please, for god sake how did you do it. just tell me already
    Lol... Just disable or uninstall all unused apps, turn off Google Discover & Samsung Free (the swipe right on homescreen thing), disable Google (the app, not account syncing) and Google Assistant, turn off Bluetooth/NFC/GPS until you need it, use a black theme, turn off unnecessary notifications, error reporting, and feedback, use static wallpaper, stop app auto updates and auto refresh (weather, stocks, etc), turn off always-on-screen.
    I don't do this, but for even more battery use 96hz or 60hz and turn off vivid screen mode.
    WhatsApp has been running for 25 mins and eaten ~30%? You have something deeper going on there it looks like.
    If you have no 5G signal, why disable it?
    So your phone isn't constantly searching for one.
    Give it time to take a calibration and you to stop using your device not in the muscle memory you and the phone will develop.
    Then they'll push a firmware upgrade that destroys all that hard work you and your new fold put in getting to know one another.