• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Z Fold 3 battery life discussion

Search This thread
I'm testing battery savings with digital wellbeing permissions revoked, and then with it fully disabled to see how much it can help. Almost 4 hours SOT at half battery with 90% inner screen use. Yesterday was the first day and it honestly seemed to make a noticeable difference, but since it was only the first day, there could be other variables. Time will tell

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210918-165055_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210918-165055_Device care.jpg
    517.5 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Reactions: nswenson

whatwhatster

Oct 1, 2013
Wow don't know why but last charged my phone and unplugged it around 22.00 at 100%.

Phones gets in flight mode at 01.00 and at 06.30 it was like 83%.

And the juice kept moving down over the day and constant high temp above 30 degrees.
I was home with 13% left.

Don't know what happened suddenly without changing anything, I am two day user until today but this is not cool....

Screenshot_20210921-184117_GSam Battery Monitor Pro.jpg

Metalshadowx2

Oct 31, 2010
Scarborough
I'm treating this phone as with great power comes great responsibility.. but this battery is really bad. It doesn't make it all the way to the end of day. I got a battery that stays with me and I'm always near a plug. I just gotta make sure I charge it often because I do love the two screens and I got it for a cheap price. I will endure until then.

ycats

Feb 27, 2007
Nolensville, Tennessee
Mine has been decent after some adjustments...........60hz refresh rate, turn off nearby device scanning, turn off wifi when not in use, Screen mode to Natural, screen timeout to 1 minute, in Developer Options - change animation scale, transition scale, duration scale to .5x.

Reactions: alxlwson

whatwhatster

Oct 1, 2013
Wow don't know why but last charged my phone and unplugged it around 22.00 at 100%.

And the juice kept moving down over the day and constant high temp above 30 degrees.

Don't know what happened suddenly without changing anything, I am two day user until today but this is not cool....

View attachment 5415413

Don't know what my issue suddenly was for the strange battery behavior of Android system and Android kernel.

Was pushed for hard resetting and right now it's normal again.
Never experienced this kind of drain since I think S6 Edge and hope it was a one time thing.

I tried everything, clearing cache, multiple reboots, phone for xx minutes and go on.

ycats

Feb 27, 2007
Nolensville, Tennessee
About the end of my first week of having the device, something was draining my battery..........went from 90% down to 60% really fast.................I rebooted it and placed on the charger, then started adjusting the settings and seems to be fine ever since.

Reactions: Bababooy

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
Am I wrong for being ok with this. 5g turned off. 96hz both screens mostly inner screen used. No battery saving
Very similar to my battery stats, though I do have 5G on, 120hz, tend to use inner screen mostly (sorry, but can't help myself) no power saving, vivid display.

Additionally, I'm using Nova launcher, only charge to 85% via battery saver, and I'm definitely not a happy chappy.

Am I being churlish, I don't think so, comments welcome.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210923-052104_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210923-052104_Device care.jpg
    600.3 KB · Views: 106
Not sure how I feel about this. Phone drain during calls seems really high. All of the calls were over wifi calling with either speaker or Bluetooth View attachment 5417565
Using the speaker is a big battery drainer, and phone calls are right up there with it.
Also I'd put YouTube to sleep so it isn't in the background for 13 hours 👀.

atvxda

Apr 3, 2008
Boston
I'm finally getting SOT on my Fold3 comparable to my old Fold2. After going through this forum, seeing what works for some, etc, I've been able to make a few adjustments to finally get it right. The screen shot is my best yet. I'm averaging 22 to 28 hours off of the charger with anywhere between 4.5 to 6.5h of SOT. Inner and outer display set to adaptive. Brightness on auto, 80% on wifi. Folded open 75% of the time. I typically charge from 15 to 100%. I use to charge from 20 to 100%, however I'm not keeping my phones beyond a year and so I really don't stress over battery degradation.

Initially, I was getting 3.5 to 4h of SOT. It was such a drag too, was concerned I had to be conservative with my device. Same thing happened with my N20U. In both cases, I used smart switch to go from my Note 10 Plus to N20U and Fold2 to Fold3, was wondering if I should have done a clean install instead... Anyhow, very pleased.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210925-150042_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20210925-150042_Device care.jpg
    451.8 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

eswar539

Dec 8, 2012
Dont know what happened. My sot improved on its own lol
At 120hz 100% inner screen all radios on. Junk apps obviously disabled. Watch connected always with all the tracking apps on. Getting almost 7hrs sot. Dammm now fully satisfied with device

Note :
Screenshot_20210929-170522_Device care.jpg
previous sot was around max 5hrs

ShaKki

Jul 26, 2011
Frankfurt
I mean if you have one App active only the SOT will always be higher.

You can get 11-12h SOT if you leave YT on all day.

What drains battery are opening multipel apps, switching apps continously and properly multitasking.

hence the SOT will always vary.

On work busy days where i need to switch foten inbetween apps - sometimes i get 3,5h SOT max.

Other days i have nearly 9h..

I mean if you have one App active only the SOT will always be higher.

You can get 11-12h SOT if you leave YT on all day.

What drains battery are opening multipel apps, switching apps continously and properly multitasking.

hence the SOT will always vary.

On work busy days where i need to switch foten inbetween apps - sometimes i get 3,5h SOT max.

Other days i have nearly 9h..
Disagree. I'm always in between apps. Some apps just take more system resources. Switching apps that are cached into ram doesn't take much battery at all because they are already loaded.
And Of course apps that are dark mode take far less power than ones that aren't.

But I'd be up to see screenshots of your SOT for comparison purposes to maybe see why this happens for you
Screenshot_20210927-143556_Device care.jpg

david129

Jul 19, 2012
Out of the box I put all my imported apps to deep sleep and not to access any resources unless I open the app. The most important apps I keep on the battery.

I use 3cx which is a voice over IP application using my phone as a desk phone while in the office and outside of the office.

I easily get a whole work day of battery. Same as my note 9 I upgraded from so I'm content.

Today I used it a little bit more lightly but usually I get 12 hours easily

Screenshot_20210930-234319_Device care.jpg

Jerky_san

Mar 30, 2011

View attachment 5415413
I'm like you.. high Android system and kernel consumption. I can use firefox for 30+ minutes and never outrun Android system consumption. I've already factory reset like 3x times and set it up from scratch. There is something wrong here.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine has been decent after some adjustments...........60hz refresh rate, turn off nearby device scanning, turn off wifi when not in use, Screen mode to Natural, screen timeout to 1 minute, in Developer Options - change animation scale, transition scale, duration scale to .5x.
    About the end of my first week of having the device, something was draining my battery..........went from 90% down to 60% really fast.................I rebooted it and placed on the charger, then started adjusting the settings and seems to be fine ever since.
    Am I wrong for being ok with this. 5g turned off. 96hz both screens mostly inner screen used. No battery saving
    Not sure how I feel about this. Phone drain during calls seems really high. All of the calls were over wifi calling with either speaker or Bluetooth View attachment 5417565
    Using the speaker is a big battery drainer, and phone calls are right up there with it.
    Also I'd put YouTube to sleep so it isn't in the background for 13 hours 👀.
    This happens with every release of every new phone. It always takes a few days for it to settle as it's downloading apps, settings, updates, etc. It's WAY too early to compare battery life. Give it a week.
    please, for god sake how did you do it. just tell me already
    Lol... Just disable or uninstall all unused apps, turn off Google Discover & Samsung Free (the swipe right on homescreen thing), disable Google (the app, not account syncing) and Google Assistant, turn off Bluetooth/NFC/GPS until you need it, use a black theme, turn off unnecessary notifications, error reporting, and feedback, use static wallpaper, stop app auto updates and auto refresh (weather, stocks, etc), turn off always-on-screen.
    I don't do this, but for even more battery use 96hz or 60hz and turn off vivid screen mode.
    WhatsApp has been running for 25 mins and eaten ~30%? You have something deeper going on there it looks like.
    If you have no 5G signal, why disable it?
    So your phone isn't constantly searching for one.
    Give it time to take a calibration and you to stop using your device not in the muscle memory you and the phone will develop.
    Then they'll push a firmware upgrade that destroys all that hard work you and your new fold put in getting to know one another.