• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Question Z Fold 3 battery life discussion

Search This thread

whatwhatster

Oct 1, 2013
I'm like you.. high Android system and kernel consumption. I can use firefox for 30+ minutes and never outrun Android system consumption. I've already factory reset like 3x times and set it up from scratch. There is something wrong here.

This was really abnormal in my case but all good again after the reset.....

ilordvader

Oct 27, 2007
Mumbai
Any of you guys put Apps to deep sleep ?

I put all these Apps to deep sleep, never use them

Any more I can Add or should remove from this list
Please suggest

Attachments

• IMG-20211003-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211003-WA0000.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 110

Tymi94

Jul 1, 2020
Hi there. I'm on my 9th day of using the phone and thatt's how the battery is now. Before I only got 3/4 hrs. Maybe it'll still get better. I was using mainly the bigger screen and moat of this was on 4g not WIFI

SmartSelect_20211016-090550_Device care.jpg

Reactions: Bababooy

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
Hi there. I'm on my 9th day of using the phone and thatt's how the battery is now. Before I only got 3/4 hrs. Maybe it'll still get better. I was using mainly the bigger screen and moat of this was on 4g not WIFI

View attachment 5434387
After my 3rd reset, this is what I get with about 90% inner screen use, full refresh rate, vivid screen and 5G, basically a non crippled device.

The main difference to my previous setup, where I was getting 3-4hrs SOT, are changes to location accuracy and 'Google Services', something I saw on a YouTube channel, but can't remember which right now.

To be honest I'm extremely chuffed, don't think I can get much better, about the same now as my eponymous Note 10+ 5G which is actually still a battery life beast.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211015-193624_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20211015-193624_Device care.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: Bababooy

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
After my 3rd reset, this is what I get with about 90% inner screen use, full refresh rate, vivid screen and 5G, basically a non crippled device.

The main difference to my previous setup, where I was getting 3-4hrs SOT, are changes to location accuracy and 'Google Services', something I saw on a YouTube channel, but can't remember which right now.

To be honest I'm extremely chuffed, don't think I can get much better, about the same now as my eponymous Note 10+ 5G which is actually still a battery life beast.
I learned a new word today. Thanks for that!

Zerobim08

Oct 19, 2021
My battery life is so so. Using mix of 4g and wifi with connected smartwatch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-084056_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-084056_Device care.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 72

chetly968

Jul 15, 2014
Paradise Valley
The biggest factor I've seen affecty batter life is changing the front screen to 60hz instead of 120hz. I use the front almost exclusively except when watching videos or editing documents. And for some reason it extends my battery life tremendously.

BigDoun2011

Apr 23, 2012
The biggest factor I've seen affecty batter life is changing the front screen to 60hz instead of 120hz. I use the front almost exclusively except when watching videos or editing documents. And for some reason it extends my battery life tremendously.
How can I set ONLY front screen to 60 Hz?

Wow I'm very impressed about your Battery life's. I only get about 3 hours with some optimization via Bixby routines e.g. Set tiktok to 60 Hz...

In the attachment you can se my battery life

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211020-213459_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20211020-213459_Device care.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 44
Oct 20, 2021
I haven't read this whole thread, just the first and last pages, but the battery life on my Z Fold 3 has been amazing since the first day. I use the inner screen all day long (I'm on it a LOT). I only use the front screen for quick things like telling the med apps I took my meds, setting my Apollo (Bluetooth anti-anxiety device) session at night/if I didn't already have the phone open, etc. I'm very pleased with this phone (except for the cell reception issue)!

Zerobim08

Oct 19, 2021
How can I set ONLY front screen to 60 Hz?

Wow I'm very impressed about your Battery life's. I only get about 3 hours with some optimization via Bixby routines e.g. Set tiktok to 60 Hz...

In the attachment you can se my battery life
Suggest you charge full and let it rundown without plugging in in between. Then you can see what kind of battery life you get.

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
Seems like battery life of my fold 3 is improving

I'm not sure as to the accuracy of this app, for instance, my 'real life' SOT is about 2hrs short of the estimate given by the app.

I think the reading in 'Battery Care' is more accurate.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211022-051842_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211022-051842_AccuBattery.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 48

pieces of cake

I think I've seen a few people ask this already, but you've not replied. How are you going about setting only the front/cover display to 60 Hz? Please and thanks.

Reactions: kxdaorbit

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I dont get more than 6hrs of SoT
    You're complaining about getting only 6 hours of SOT from the largest phone screen ever at 120Hz? And it fing folds too?

Some customers are difficult to please...
    Well they could have put two batteries given the extra space, plus they always said they made optimisations so we would like to actually notice them.

But i agree we are difficult :D
    There are 2 batteries. It's still pretty awesome what they've put in this bad boy, though. One side has 4 cameras, 3 mics and a screen, the other has a camera 3 speakers (very good ones too) a mic and 2 screens.

I honestly think that this is the best overall phone made, if you want the really big screen. I also think it'll be the best until the Fold 4.

But yeah, we're difficult. I too want more, but I'm ok to wait 😁
    While my Battery is fairly good (8-9h SOT) i couldnt care less in todays world tbh. I go to work? wireless charge while i dont use it. im at home? wireless charge. so i would never run out of battery anyway.
    After Nov update my avg battery life continues to increase. Now 9hrs SOT from 8.5hrs before

I'm running 2 N10+'s. So I can't predict exactly how that hardware or UI will respond on the Fold. Samsung tends to use similar power management though and have the same issues.
    The only reason I ended up with one running on Android 10 was its manufactured date, oops🤣
    However it was interesting to compare and use the 2 OS versions side by side with the same hardware and 3rd party app loads.

It could be that the Fold updates will bring fixes to bugs in Android 11. Samsung has heavily modified it as they did with Android 10.
    I probably roll the dice for those.

Jumping to 12 though may bring more bugs than fixes. More than once I've seen Samsung firmware and app updates break the phone or app completely over the years🤣
    So I tend to be very conservative especially if things are running well.
    It's always safer to let others be the lab rats...
    Bugs are inevitable in a major OS update

However my s21u is smooth as butter on android 12 and I can't find ANY bugs so far and I'm getting around 10hrs SOT on s21u from a full charge and all default settings / 120hz adaptive refresh etc

So I'm kind of crossing my fingers battery life on Fold3 improve with android 12 update
    This happens with every release of every new phone. It always takes a few days for it to settle as it's downloading apps, settings, updates, etc. It's WAY too early to compare battery life. Give it a week.
    please, for god sake how did you do it. just tell me already
    Lol... Just disable or uninstall all unused apps, turn off Google Discover & Samsung Free (the swipe right on homescreen thing), disable Google (the app, not account syncing) and Google Assistant, turn off Bluetooth/NFC/GPS until you need it, use a black theme, turn off unnecessary notifications, error reporting, and feedback, use static wallpaper, stop app auto updates and auto refresh (weather, stocks, etc), turn off always-on-screen.
    I don't do this, but for even more battery use 96hz or 60hz and turn off vivid screen mode.
    WhatsApp has been running for 25 mins and eaten ~30%? You have something deeper going on there it looks like.
    If you have no 5G signal, why disable it?
    So your phone isn't constantly searching for one.
    Give it time to take a calibration and you to stop using your device not in the muscle memory you and the phone will develop.
    Then they'll push a firmware upgrade that destroys all that hard work you and your new fold put in getting to know one another.