Question Z Fold 3 battery life discussion

Search This thread

Xeon

Nov 15, 2004
Beirut
HTC Leo
Sony Xperia Z
I noticed that people who have the Samsung flip case including me should be experiencing more battery drain. When the cover of the case slides slightly to the left and doesn't become flushed with the display the screen turns on ( Process : CoverServiceManager )

It's hard to notice the display because the major part of the screen is still covered.

I've been working on tracking the reason behind my battery drain since 3 weeks because believe it or not the display is not the culprit.

I debloated my Fold 3 using adb and my SoT was still mediocre around 6hrs. Gsam Battery monitor was hinting to something different....

What I did in Gsam was killing all the processes running under Android system section not directly related to the OS and so far my Screen off drain in Accubattery went from 1.5%/h to 0.6%/h at night ~ 90% deep sleep...

SOT is now touching 7h 30mins. inner display @120hz, 5G off ( mails, whatsapp, Youtube Vacant, browsing, phone calls and other social media stuff) as I'm not into gaming.

I will dig deeper to find out which process was responsible for drain but it's gonna take some time....

Below is the current battery usage when the front screen is on and the device is idle

batteryusage.png

101 - 120 mA with brightness set to Auto ~ 65% vs 150 - 200 mA

1635063121703.png

I can tell you that those numbers are even better than what I was getting on my Note 10+ which had an amazing battery life so yeah the F3 is capable, it's a matter of time....

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
I noticed that people who have the Samsung flip case including me should be experiencing more battery drain. When the cover of the case slides slightly to the left and doesn't become flushed with the display the screen turns on ( Process : CoverServiceManager )

It's hard to notice the display because the major part of the screen is still covered.

I've been working on tracking the reason behind my battery drain since 3 weeks because believe it or not the display is not the culprit.

I debloated my Fold 3 using adb and my SoT was still mediocre around 6hrs. Gsam Battery monitor was hinting to something different....

What I did in Gsam was killing all the processes running under Android system section not directly related to the OS and so far my Screen off drain in Accubattery went from 1.5%/h to 0.6%/h at night ~ 90% deep sleep...

SOT is now touching 7h 30mins. inner display @120hz, 5G off ( mails, whatsapp, Youtube Vacant, browsing, phone calls and other social media stuff) as I'm not into gaming.

I will dig deeper to find out which process was responsible for drain but it's gonna take some time....

Below is the current battery usage when the front screen is on and the device is idle

View attachment 5440173

101 - 120 mA with brightness set to Auto ~ 65% vs 150 - 200 mA

View attachment 5440175

I can tell you that those numbers are even better than what I was getting on my Note 10+ which had an amazing battery life so yeah the F3 is capable, it's a matter of time....
Bit cheeky, so np if you won't, but, could you kindly share your ADB debloat script.

Also, I presume those are your 5G cellular speeds. Where are you located? those figures are mightily impressive.

Xeon

Nov 15, 2004
Beirut
HTC Leo
Sony Xperia Z
Bit cheeky, so np if you won't, but, could you kindly share your ADB debloat script.

Also, I presume those are your 5G cellular speeds. Where are you located? those figures are mightily impressive.

I don't have a specific script because it's a matter of taste some apps might be useful to you but not me. I'll send you a list of all installed packages from adb at night so you could compare and remove what you don't need but I'm avoiding any usb connection right now as I'm watching my SOT after the changes I did.

I also don't remember which packages I removed because it was from multiple sources and I did an extensive research to understand what each one does.

My speedtest results are almost 10 years old 😂 I was testing a fiber connection.

Cheers.

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
I don't have a specific script because it's a matter of taste some apps might be useful to you but not me. I'll send you a list of all installed packages from adb at night so you could compare and remove what you don't need but I'm avoiding any usb connection right now as I'm watching my SOT after the changes I did.

I also don't remember which packages I removed because it was from multiple sources and I did an extensive research to understand what each one does.

My speedtest results are almost 10 years old 😂 I was testing a fiber connection.

Cheers.
Didn't even notice the date on the test, I was so blinded by the headline figures.

Even more impressive given that where I am in the UK, my 1gig fibre connection only gets me about 800 down and 700ish up.

Xeon

Nov 15, 2004
Beirut
HTC Leo
Sony Xperia Z
Didn't even notice the date on the test, I was so blinded by the headline figures.

Even more impressive given that where I am in the UK, my 1gig fibre connection only gets me about 800 down and 700ish up.

I'm searching my PC history and here are some of the sources I used to debloat :

Also :

Code:
BLOAT
pm uninstall -k --user 0 flipboard.boxer.app

SAMSUNG VOICEMAIL
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.vvm.se

SAMSUNG TIPS
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.tips

SAMSUNG TTS ENGINE
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.SMT

SAMSUNG GLOBAL GOALS
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.sree

BIXBY
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.spage
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.routines
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.service
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.visionintelligence
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent.dummy
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixbyvision.framework
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.systemui.bixby2

FM/AM RADIO
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.dsi.ant.sample.acquirechannels
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.dsi.ant.service.socket
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.dsi.ant.server
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.dsi.ant.plugins.antplus

GENERAL
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.egg
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.dreams.phototable
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.easyonehand
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.widgetapp.samsungapps
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.launcher
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.mateagent
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.easyMover.Agent
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.dreams.basic
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.daemonapp
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.social
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.messaging
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.vvm

SECURE WI-FI
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.fast

SAMSUNG DEX
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.desktopmode.uiservice
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.desktopsystemui
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com..sec.android.app.desktoplauncher
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.desktopcommunity

MICROSOFT
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.microsoft.skydrive

GOOGLE:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.gm
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.videos
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.ar.core

VERIZON
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.vzw.apnlib

SAMSUNG PASS / PAY
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.samsungpassautofill
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.authfw
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.samsungpass
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.spay
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.spayfw

GIMMICKY APPS
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.wellbeing
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.da.daagent
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.service.livedrawing

SAMSUNG AR EMOJI
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.aremoji
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.mimage.avatarstickers
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.emojiupdater

SAMSUNG STICKER CENTER
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.stamp.preload
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.stickercenter
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facearframe.preload
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facearexpression.preload
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facear.preload

FACEBOOK
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.katana
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.system
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.appmanager
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.facebook.services

CAR MODE
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.drivelink.stub

PRINTING
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.bips
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.android.printservice.recommendation
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.android.printspooler

SAMSUNG EMAIL
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.email.provider
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.wsomacp

SAMSUNG GAME LAUNCHER
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.game.gamehome
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.enhance.gameservice
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.game.gametools
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.game.gos
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.gametuner.thin

SAMSUNG BROWSER
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.sbrowser
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.sbrowseredge

GEAR VR
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.hmt.vrsvc
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.vrsetupwizardstub
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.hmt.vrshell
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.google.vr.vrcore

SAMSUNG KIDS
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.kidsinstaller
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.camera.sticker.facearavatar.preload
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.kidshome

SAMSUNG LED COVER
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.app.ledbackcover
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.cover.ledcover

EDGE
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.samsung.android.service.peoplestripe

SAMSUNG DEX
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.dexonpc
pm uninstall -k --user 0 com.sec.android.app.desktoplauncher

Air command - com.samsung.android.service.aircommand
(Removes entry in settings. Allows button to be used as an eraser in drawing apps)
- com.samsung.android.aircommandmanager

AOD (Removes charging status from lock scree ) - com.samsung.android.app.aodservice

DeX on PC - com.sec.android.app.dexonpc

AR Doodle - com.samsung.android.ardrawing

Damn, seems like a factory reset is in order, or should I give it a few days to stabilise?

Got the fold 2 days ago. This usage was mostly on 4g with dual sim.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211024-205312_Device care.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-205312_Device care.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_20211024-205334_AccuBattery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211024-205334_AccuBattery.jpg
    397.5 KB · Views: 117

Xeon

Nov 15, 2004
Beirut
HTC Leo
Sony Xperia Z
Damn, seems like a factory reset is in order, or should I give it a few days to stabilise?

Got the fold 2 days ago. This usage was mostly on 4g with dual sim.

Had the same experience first few days. Turned out it was google photo, album and other apps harvesting pics as I had over 180k photos. Download Gsam battery monitor you should be able to tell what's behind that drain.

Reactions: MDSLHC27
Yeah so I rarely use the inside screen for anything so I meant I put the whole thing at 60hz.
You rarely use the MAIN display? Sounds like you chose the wrong device. While that's really none of my business, it's certainly doesn't make sense for you to be weighing in on a battery life discussion when you're not even using this device as it was intended. I'm sure I could get 7-10 days of use between charges if I was simply using it as a clock.

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
You rarely use the MAIN display? Sounds like you chose the wrong device. While that's really none of my business, it's certainly doesn't make sense for you to be weighing in on a battery life discussion when you're not even using this device as it was intended. I'm sure I could get 7-10 days of use between charges if I was simply using it as a clock.
😂🤔

Reactions: pieces of cake

ucugur

Mar 4, 2018
I love the Fold3 but I have to admit that it's not enough battery for such a powerhouse. I mean it has bigger screens than S21 Ultra and the same processor but smaller battery... It's just too weird, sometimes I don't understand what Samsung is trying to do. I can't go back to unfoldable phones anymore so that I'll wait for the Fold4 not the S22

Zerobim08

Oct 19, 2021
I love the Fold3 but I have to admit that it's not enough battery for such a powerhouse. I mean it has bigger screens than S21 Ultra and the same processor but smaller battery... It's just too weird, sometimes I don't understand what Samsung is trying to do. I can't go back to unfoldable phones anymore so that I'll wait for the Fold4 not the S22
Are you really not near power outlet all day long?
I charge twice a day (drain from 85% to 20% to prolong battery longevity 😀). But I use my phone a lot...coming to 11hrs SOT per day.

Reactions: pieces of cake

kxdaorbit

Oct 11, 2009
Peasants! I never charge my phone. When the battery dies, I just get a new phone.

No...I'm just near a charger all day in reality. But I do think my battery life has got better.
Sure, battery life has got better, but it was from such a low initial base that it hardly matters.

Personally, I think this is part of a Samsung strategy to recoup income lost from the lower pricing this year.

Make us all buy Samsung power packs, kerching all the way to higher profits. I'm surprised that apple haven't latched onto this yet.

Is it the case that most of us charge this phone once during the day? Versus the nightly full charging?
I honestly couldn't tell you. I'm a Sheriff's Deputy, so it sits in the wireless charger dock in my patrol car while at work. Then even on my days off, I have a wireless charging pad next to my bed, so if I'm not actively using it, I just lay it on the charger. None that has anything to do with this particular phone or its battery life. It's how I use every phone. I even have a charger and cradle on my motorcycle.

If I do plan to be away from a charger all day, and know I'll be using my phone heavily, I'll just throw my Note 20 Ultra in my pocket as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This happens with every release of every new phone. It always takes a few days for it to settle as it's downloading apps, settings, updates, etc. It's WAY too early to compare battery life. Give it a week.
    WhatsApp has been running for 25 mins and eaten ~30%? You have something deeper going on there it looks like.
    please, for god sake how did you do it. just tell me already
    Lol... Just disable or uninstall all unused apps, turn off Google Discover & Samsung Free (the swipe right on homescreen thing), disable Google (the app, not account syncing) and Google Assistant, turn off Bluetooth/NFC/GPS until you need it, use a black theme, turn off unnecessary notifications, error reporting, and feedback, use static wallpaper, stop app auto updates and auto refresh (weather, stocks, etc), turn off always-on-screen.
    I don't do this, but for even more battery use 96hz or 60hz and turn off vivid screen mode.
    Digital wellbeing is a battery eating feature itself. Turn it off and you will get more battery time.
    LOL, What are people expecting??? We have a giant inner screen, AND an outside screen. Expecting ANYTHING close to your old normal phone is ridiculous.