• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Z1 Compact Resource Thread -|-Rooting-BL Unlocking-Firmware & More...

Search This thread

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
UPDATE: 03/10/15
2r78uoj.png

Most of the "how to" stuff in this thread is still relevant which is why I'll leave it in for reference, but to update and root (with UL BL) the latest version simply...

1. Download and install the latest Flashtool
  2. Run XperiFirm (comes pre-bundled with the Flashtool) to download the latest FW.
  3. Download [UB ONLY] [kernel] Root, init.d support, Recovery & Busybox for 14.6.A.0.368

For a locked bootloader you'll need to read a thread like [D5503][Stock][PRF+FTF][Lollipop]14.6.A.0.368_CustomizedIN_Pre-Rooted with recovery

I'll be moving to the Z5 Compact in the coming weeks so this will be one of the last posts I make here in this section.

66xncx.jpg
2wf6c0n.png

NOTE:
  • WAIT for the Flashtool to prompt you when to enter flashmode otherwise your Phone will simply reboot.
newest Sony devices have three boot modes... these bootmodes can be reached when device is powered off...

• Normal - just press power button and device starts booting
  • Flashmode - this mode is used to flash stock OFFICIAL firmware using flashtool, denoted by GREEN LED (this is similar to DOWNLOAD/ODIN mode of the Samsung devices)
  • Fastboot mode - this is a special mode, denoted by BLUE LED, used when we want to flash custom kernel, custom system images, for that we need to unlock bootloader, i will tell more details about this later...

[ various key combinations ]

this is most important part...

known key combinations so far:

while device is power OFF

Volume Up + USB cable connected to PC -> FASTBOOT MODE (BLUE LED will light up)

Volume Down + USB cable connected to PC -> FLASHMODE (GREEN LED will light up)

while device is power ON

Volume Up + POWER (for 10 seconds) -> resets the battery, its like removing the battery and putting it back in [device will vibrate once]

Volume Up + POWER (for additional 5 seconds, total 15 seconds) -> will power off hard, device will power down [device will vibrate thrice]
66xncx.jpg
wjxx7d.png

As for developer options, go to Settings => 'About phone' and press 7 times on 'Android Build'. This will unlock the Developer options in Settings.

NOTE:
  • If you have UNLOCKED your bootloader then trying to update OTA will fail and you will need to use the Flashtool to update.
  • To De-brand your Phone you need to flash a Stock/UnBranded/Generic .ftf.
  • The ONLY way to Sim Unlock your Phone is by PAYING for an Unlock Code from your Carrier/Network Provider or a Third Party source, flashing Firmware will not change that. O2 however does UNLOCK for FREE if you're a Pay Monthly customer.
  • Service Menu - *#*#7378423#*#*
  • To Update with Root check the Root Section below.
66xncx.jpg
2s7ujom.png

If you need an older firmware then a search of the forum or Google will help with that.

66xncx.jpg
5cexqp.png

NOTE:
  • If you got your Phone from a carrier then the chances are you wont be able to unlock your bootloader and at the time of writing this there is no easy work around. So if you plan on using custom ROMS like CM then you need to get a SIM Free/Un Branded Phone. In the UK it's reported that the Carphone Warehouse provides all their Phones SIM Free even if you get a contract but you would have to check yourself.
  • You can check your Phones unlock status in the Service Menu - #*#7378423#*#/Service Info/Configuration
66xncx.jpg
zx8sqs.png

NOTE:
  • Rooting is much easier if you have an Unlocked Bootloader because then it's as simple as flashing a Pre-Rooted ROM, or the latest .ftf with a Kernel with CWM (above) and the latest SU.zip (below).
Timeline of the video:
  • 00:10 What does rooting mean?
  • 00:39 Will rooting void my warranty?
  • 01:07 Can I flash custom ROMs after rooting?
  • 01:46 How to unlock the bootloader? (http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/)
  • 02:22 In configuration my phone says: bootloader unlock allowed: NO is there a way around?
  • 02:47 Will you loose warranty by unlocking the bootloader?
  • 02:54 Will I loose X-Reality engine and is there a possibility to bootloader lock my device? (TA partition backup: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292598 ) video
  • 03:24 SIMLOCK after rooting
  • 03:45 FTF file format what is it?
  • 04:04 What is flashtool? (http://www.flashtool.net/download.html)
  • 04:26 How to connect device in flashmode?
  • 04:37 How to connect device in fastboot mode?
  • 04:46 Do I need to be rooted to use flashtool?
  • 05:12 My device is not recognized in Flashtool?
Latest Method:
66xncx.jpg
2mn0kuu.png

66xncx.jpg
20jk1s7.png

Set up Remote Shares
It's fairly simple:
(steps in windows are for win vista or newer, but on XP and older it should be similar)
  1. On your Windows PC, rightclick on any folder you want to share > "properies" > "sharing" tab > "sharing" button > click on "share" button
  2. Your phone must be connected to the same network as your PC
  3. Add new windows share on your phone:
    • into "Host" field type in the name of your compurer (it can be found if you rightclick on "This Computer" > properties > (specify system settings) > "Computer name" tab > Entire computer name)
    • into "Share" field type in the name of shared folder on your PC
    • into "username" field type in your username on the PC with shared folder
    • into "password" field type in your password on the PC with shared folder
  4. Tap on "save" and switch the switch next to the new created entry to "ON" position

(NOTE: some names of things in windows can be little bit different as I do not use windows in english language)

Last edited:

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
Anyone rooted yet?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

stevo_125

Mar 12, 2009
Mine should be here soon and that's the first thing I'll be doing. :) There is a picture showing it's been done if you follow the link.

Back it up first?

Need root to perform the TA backup. Chicken-egg problem

Preferred solution for many will be Root via exploit - backup TA - unlock bootloader - CWM/TWRP etc

[email protected]

Nov 29, 2010
Bavaria
Last edited:
Reactions: SXUsr

Option58

Recognized Developer
Oct 27, 2011
Serbia
Whay is TA partition?

Sent from my MI 2S using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Partition where some keys are stored. If you unlock bootloader you lose those keys and they are used for some Sony services like Bravia Engine and TrackID...

That's why you want to backup your TA before unlocking. So you can restore it later when you reflash stock rom :)

Reactions: haukew

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
Partition where some keys are stored. If you unlock bootloader you lose those keys and they are used for some Sony services like Bravia Engine and TrackID...

What exactly do you lose of the bravia engine is off?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thebratts

Oct 29, 2010
FYI I rooted with the currently known cwm based solution and.

Track I'd still works... Used it without issues today..
However. No audio effects work like the equalizer and the different sound effects.. The settings are still there and you can make changes but no effect on sound. The same happened to another user using the same root process ...
So it seems unlocking the bootloader of this phone has some new side effects.....

So. HEADS UP TO YOU ALL...

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: stenbergs

GR36

Apr 1, 2011
People keep saying you lose the bravia engine. What effect would this have?

Sent from my D5503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
You guys have just bought the and rooting now means destroying the phone and its its best output.Do you guys know that customs rom are full of bugs and after rooting phone face a lot of problem????I do not understand people do that ****.
That is thee most ridiculous post I have ever read here on XDA Developers.

krutoistudent

Jan 14, 2012
You guys have just bought the and rooting now means destroying the phone and its its best output.Do you guys know that customs rom are full of bugs and after rooting phone face a lot of problem????I do not understand people do that ****.

custom roms is the reason why i still use my sgs that makes 3 years and 7 months !
i had such a big interest in the xperia z1c but more and more i lose the interest ... android without root ist not better then IOS

twilliams08

Dec 31, 2010
custom roms is the reason why i still use my sgs that makes 3 years and 7 months !
i had such a big interest in the xperia z1c but more and more i lose the interest ... android without root ist not better then IOS

Refer to post #1 of this thread - there are currently 2 methods of rooting the Z1C depending upon whether or not you wish to unlock your bootloader.

Top Liked Posts