• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

z1c plastic back replace with a glass one(with pic)(fix flash bleed)

Search This thread

ggmm206

Mar 23, 2011
first i get this phone i think is the same as the z1 that have a glass back on it.but after checking the back closely i realize that is made from plastic,and it actually feels a Little bit flimsy.so i decide to replace it with the glass one that came from the japan version of z1c that call the "SO-02F". it cost 45rmb(approximately 7.2$) on TAOBAO for the glass that came with the watertight tape and the original ASF.it take less than 5 min to replace with a pryer an a hair dryer. feel free to ask about the detail of this.
1.pic_hd.jpg

2.pic_hd.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

13B79100-510C-4D30-B36A-8197C126113E_1.jpg

update:it did fix the "flash bleed"problem. you can see the example below.
45f33284gw1ef9gncs14bj21kw0w0qg7.jpg

45f33284gw1ef9gpflgxjj21kw0w0am1.jpg

45f33284gw1ef9grrndqjj21kw0w0nja.jpg

Last edited:

militiaOfDeath

Dec 14, 2012
first i get this phone i think is the same as the z1 that have a glass back on it.but after checking the back closely i realize that is made from plastic,and it actually feels a Little bit flimsy.so i decide to replace it with the glass one that came from the japan version of z1c that call the "SO-02F". it cost 45rmb(approximately 7.2$) on TAOBAO for the glass that came with the watertight tape and the original ASF.it take less than 5 min to replace with a pryer an a hair dryer. feel free to ask about the detail of this.

Looks interesting. Could be an idea to provide a link to the glass back.

Last edited:
Reactions: jutphaas

rickywk

Feb 6, 2008
How to take out the original back plate?
Heat up by hair dryer and use some force to take it out?

I also a bit worrying the water resistant after changed

inkmars

Feb 7, 2014
Whistler
How to take out the original back plate?
Heat up by hair dryer and use some force to take it out?

I also a bit worrying the water resistant after changed

You use a heat gun or I guess a hair dryer works too, and you work your way around the back edges of the phone. then you detach the back part of the phone bit by bit with the same things you need to open an iPhone for example (guitar pick and such).
I'm also wondering if the phone is still as water resistant as originally advertised (I don't trust that adhesive band that you apply after...), not to mention the warranty of the handset after doing this.

But, other than that, it's a job well done.

paulkhim

May 1, 2011
taobao is cheap but most seller don't accept PAYPAL and can't ship international.

Found seller which can ship aboard but cost bit more.

witrigs

i just ordered one from the link you've shared, thanks. i might just bring it to a local mobile repair shop and let them put it on for me.
hopefully it will fix the flash bleed and would still be waterproof :fingers-crossed:

ggmm206

Mar 23, 2011
i just ordered one from the link you've shared, thanks. i might just bring it to a local mobile repair shop and let them put it on for me.
hopefully it will fix the flash bleed and would still be waterproof :fingers-crossed:

it actually really easy to change it yourself.it just hold by a ring of heavy-duty tape so just heat it a little bit and you can rip it off very easily.then just stick the new one on it and is done.

Reactions: paulkhim

ggmm206

Mar 23, 2011
You use a heat gun or I guess a hair dryer works too, and you work your way around the back edges of the phone. then you detach the back part of the phone bit by bit with the same things you need to open an iPhone for example (guitar pick and such).
I'm also wondering if the phone is still as water resistant as originally advertised (I don't trust that adhesive band that you apply after...), not to mention the warranty of the handset after doing this.

But, other than that, it's a job well done.

ok i have test it still watertight.but i'm not sure about the warranty.if you worry about that you need to ask the seller or the costumer service before you doing it. thx

Walter_White

May 15, 2013
Damn great news. Honestly I could not give a slight fsck over watertightness if I can get the much harder to scratch glass back. Ordering now, hope they don't run out soon...

D

dani_mola

@ggmm206 This is awesome, I was searching a lot regarding back plastic replacement of the international version with a tempered glass but was no luck.

The part you ordered is the black one and I'm thinking placing an order for this because I owns the white model and, for me, I think that the black front + white borders + black back will look soooo delicious :) just a question, the black replacement of tempered glass that you ordered is opaque or translucent??

ggmm206

Mar 23, 2011
@ggmm206 This is awesome, I was searching a lot regarding back plastic replacement of the international version with a tempered glass but was no luck.

The part you ordered is the black one and I'm thinking placing an order for this because I owns the white model and, for me, I think that the black front + white borders + black back will look soooo delicious :) just a question, the black replacement of tempered glass that you ordered is opaque or translucent??
i think it paint the color and the logo at the back of the glass

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    1.pic_hd.jpg

2.pic_hd.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

13B79100-510C-4D30-B36A-8197C126113E_1.jpg

update:it did fix the "flash bleed"problem. you can see the example below.
    45f33284gw1ef9gncs14bj21kw0w0qg7.jpg

45f33284gw1ef9gpflgxjj21kw0w0am1.jpg

45f33284gw1ef9grrndqjj21kw0w0nja.jpg
    taobao is cheap but most seller don't accept PAYPAL and can't ship international.

Found seller which can ship abroad but cost bit more.

witrigs
    Tested to put the phone with back replaced under water sink and everything went well!! As soon as i try it in a pool i report the result.

Inviato dal mio D5503 utilizzando Tapatalk
    Ok, so here it is, the "Black & White" or "Which Side is the Screen?" edition of the Z1c.

Easy replacement. Heated the backside with a hairdryer about 1 min and then started prying the cover off. Once it was off, I cleaned the frame with ink cartridge cleaning solution and then replaced with the black glass cover. The original adhesive came off with the cover and the new was preinstalled to the new cover that I ordered from witrigs.com. Here's a couple pics. And confirmed...no more flash bleed.

20140425_161418.jpg

20140425_161359.jpg
    Heres a few pics of mine if that helps - i tested it and its fully waterproof. (replacement cover comes from wiggles like everyone else)

1. Heat up around all borders (its where the glue is), hairdrier is fine, 2-3min
    2. insert guitar pick or screw driver or whatever you want in top insert and gently lift, it should come off relatively easily
    3. ensure ZERO dust is inside the phone, thats important for waterproofing and the lens as well. ZERO DUST.
    4. remove plastic film from the replacement glass (lens and cover) for the inner side and IMMEDIATELY apply it (you don't want dust in there)
    5. remove outter plastic film from the glass now
    6. heatup all borders again for 2-3min
    7. IMMEDIATELY put phone on a safe surface (wood, a book, whatever that wont damage the screen) and press on all corners at the same time, hold pause 1min+
    8. let it cool a bit, done

After removing back

Both covers, glass one is on the right

Cover applied, plastic film still on

Cover applied/finished

And in case you're not convinced, a waterproofing test: