Micro SD flap text?

Dat rear camera:

Zee LED Flash:

Front camera:

Last edited:

ChiGGz

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Very cool images. Was interesting to see from the perspective that the phone is waterproof and what they did to the material/design to make it so.

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
That freaking gap between the glass and body...

I just sent mine back because of it, hoping it was a fault and that the replacement will be better.
That is actually the normal gap. The gaps are very small in reality and they are even on all sides of my phone, but look very large with the 200x magnification... :p
Some units do have an excessively large large gap either top or bottom, but that's not the case for mine.

withoutwings

Feb 12, 2010
Cambridge
That is actually the normal gap. The gaps are very small in reality and they are even on all sides of my phone, but look very large with the 200x magnification... :p
Some units do have an excessively large large gap either top or bottom, but that's not the case for mine.
Mine was worst around the corners, and one edge was worse than the other... so a bit uneven I guess. What annoyed me the most was the ease at which dust would settle in it.

Well, that gives me hope for at least some improvement!

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Mine was worst around the corners, and one edge was worse than the other... so a bit uneven I guess. What annoyed me the most was the ease at which dust would settle in it.

Well, that gives me hope for at least some improvement!
Mine has slightly larger gaps at some corners as well. I just have the impression that the outer parts on Sony's newer phones and tablets are fitted less tightly than their older devices. I do know they intentionally need to leave some gap, because removing the glass is the only way to get to the internals with these new unibody devices.

Iruwen

Dec 14, 2012
That may be a reason why the glass eventually breaks easier than on other devices though. Damage to the edges is very critical for hardened glass.

withoutwings

Feb 12, 2010
Cambridge
Mine has slightly larger gaps at some corners as well. I just have the impression that the outer parts on Sony's newer phones and tablets are fitted less tightly than their older devices. I do know they intentionally need to leave some gap, because removing the glass is the only way to get to the internals with these new unibody devices.
Couldn't they just prise the plastic corner edging off to get to it? On my Z1C there is almost no gap between the glass and that edging, so I find it hard to believe it's necessary now. No, it looks like loose manufacturing/quality controls to me, especially when the severity of it varies between devices...

degraaff

Jan 21, 2012
Couldn't they just prise the plastic corner edging off to get to it? On my Z1C there is almost no gap between the glass and that edging, so I find it hard to believe it's necessary now. No, it looks like loose manufacturing/quality controls to me, especially when the severity of it varies between devices...
It doesn't look like it's possible to remove the corners, you can't feel any separation between the corners and the sides, it's as if it's melted together or something.
By the way, the nylon corners don't sit directly against the glass, there is still the plastic rim front and back that goes all around the glass.

Last edited:

AKZam

Aug 1, 2011
Going back to the gaps, my top gap is annoying large is filling with sand and dust (pocket crud). Anyone have any pointers to removing this?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk