Z4 RK3368 Android LP5.1/MM6 Octa Core 64bit 2/16gb TV Box

Search This thread

dubedollars

May 25, 2014
A new ROM mod for Z4 devices by @coolio over on freaktab.com. This custom ROM mod is based on the UGOOS UT4 1.1.4 TV Box firmware & kernel 3.10.0 by yablrar. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player...c/636196-rom-z4-android-tv-mod-v1-0-ugoos-ut4. Looks pretty cool from the screen shots.
I tried looking at the screen shots and get an error. Im currently running z4_ugoos_mod_v1.5 and would love the android tv mm upgrade. The instructions were also screenshots I couldn't see. Did you happen to remember how to upgrade? I think I saw something about just flashing the system.img from the v1.14.

roland deschan

Aug 19, 2012
Use browser in desktop mode to see images properly. BTW instead of tinkering with the reset button, simply use an app to boot to recovery / bootloader.

Last edited:

miltblue

Dec 29, 2014
Raleigh, NC
I tried looking at the screen shots and get an error. Im currently running z4_ugoos_mod_v1.5 and would love the android tv mm upgrade. The instructions were also screenshots I couldn't see. Did you happen to remember how to upgrade? I think I saw something about just flashing the system.img from the v1.14.
I don't if you're browsing on your TV box or a computer, but my experience has been you have to sign in to see the screenshots on freaktab.com. But i do all my browsing and reading on my PC. There are lots of guides to using the Android tool and the RK batch tool, here on XDA and freaktab as well as elsewhere. Just Google either or both tools.

Last edited:

dubedollars

May 25, 2014
I don't if you're browsing on your TV box or a computer, but my experience has been you have to sign in to see the screenshots on freaktab.com. But i do all my browsing and reading on my PC. There are lots of guides to using the Android tool and the RK batch tool, here on XDA and freaktab as well as elsewhere. Just google either or both tools.

I figured it out. The ROM didn't work that great. Alot of things were buggy. Couldn't install apps after one with 13gb free of space. Tried sideloading, downloading, Dropbox, nothing worked. Dropbox in fact was the only app I was able to get installed. I just wanted a mibox option for the bedroom. I'd long replaced the z4. Wanted to see if I could breathe some life into it seeing as the mi box 3 us isn't rootable.

alz_uk

Oct 3, 2012

the new update seems rock solid awesome. but could do with more features such as gamepad setup like with ut4 firmware. hope shomari a.k.a surroundedbydrones looks into this for us. it would be awesome to play games on the tv 4k style with a usb dual shock controller.

p.s thanks for the update all is well. shomari you have outshone yourself here.

edit: further testing shows 4k now plays over network without any lag or video artifacts, in previous versions this wasent the case and had many bugs playing 4k video over the network. however some hevc x265 movies have green lines running down the screen flickering and pause and fast for/rewind buttons no longer work on the remote but it causes no problems as all video playback controls are still useable using the ir remote.

note: i am using rockhip kodi 16.1 and rockchip ftmc in conjuction with the latest shomari a.ka surroundedbydrones android 5.1.1 rom.

edit: antutu score of almost 43,000.

edit: further video testing results: 1080p 60fps works fluently in youtube app which is the max video settings the app will allow. however the only browser which allows 4k video playback in youtube is google chrome but there are video playback problems in chrome and looks like video codecs are not optimized so even 720p 60fps stops and stutters in chrome.

REQUEST TO DEVELOPER SHOMARI A.KA SURROUNDEDBYDRONES :

please optimize google chrome youtube video playback 4k 60fps etc

please add gampad config menu to rom from ut4 firmware

thats all for now if you can do these changes you will become a wizard in my eyes!

Last edited:
Reactions: roland deschan

holy_moly

Mar 14, 2009
short test update. V2 fatboy slim edition (lol) by coolio looks awsome. so much features and no issues found so far. ap2sd is 100% fixed. moved already several GB on gemes to it. wifi is also faster and more stable. I use 5ghz ac mode. with v1 it was mostly conneted at 144-216 mbit/s. now it is mostly at 433 mbit/s. oustanding. faster then my laptop. (lol) download via playstore and aptoide was also much faster. no isses with all the videos on my NAS (720p 1080p AC3,DD,DTS tested). 3d game speed looks like v1. so no fps enhancemdnts there. but still a good gaming performance. breackneck is soooo fast. BT looks also more stable. I use a ipega 9021 BT game controller. now no more connection drops on lager ranges 5-7m. I was able to play from the balcony. sweet. but my girl wasn't that excited. (lol)

so far this new coolio rom is the best I ever had on my z4.

//edit
btw the instructions pics to installed the rom are inside of the download. like it was already for v1 :D ;)

Last edited:

alz_uk

Oct 3, 2012
short test update. V2 fatboy slim edition (lol) by coolio looks awsome. so much features and no issues found so far. ap2sd is 100% fixed. moved already several GB on gemes to it. wifi is also faster and more stable. I use 5ghz ac mode. with v1 it was mostly conneted at 144-216 mbit/s. now it is mostly at 433 mbit/s. oustanding. faster then my laptop. (lol) download via playstore and aptoide was also much faster. no isses with all the videos on my NAS (720p 1080p AC3,DD,DTS tested). 3d game speed looks like v1. so no fps enhancemdnts there. but still a good gaming performance. breackneck is soooo fast. BT looks also more stable. I use a ipega 9021 BT game controller. now no more connection drops on lager ranges 5-7m. I was able to play from the balcony. sweet. but my girl wasn't that excited. (lol)

so far this new coolio rom is the best I ever had on my z4.

//edit
btw the instructions pics to installed the rom are inside of the download. like it was already for v1 :D ;)

i have just tried this coolio rom and although its stable i just dont understand why the android status bar has been disabled, without it you cant do nothing wether multi task or close frozen apps, for this reason its absolutely crap in my eyes. the only good thing about it is the gamepad settings.

im dissapointed, i installed kodi and because there isnt any status bar i couldnt close kodi and when i clicked kodi shutdown it just froze and that was it no way getting out. what a load of crap that is.

edit: whats supposed to be the big deal about android tv? whats its advantage? if any? lol

edit: antutu score is 10,000 POINTS LOWERS THAN SHOMARIS 5.1.1 ROM WHAT A JOKE! how do you expect this rom to be good?

edit: gamepad settings dont work properly, i remember someones rom where they had gamepad settings and my game pad worked out of the box in all games.

edit: box gets hot after playing 30 mins of 4k movie. box always stayed cold on shomaris rom.

Last edited:

holy_moly

Mar 14, 2009
i have just tried this coolio rom and although its stable i just dont understand why the android status bar has been disabled, without it you cant do nothing wether multi task or close frozen apps, for this reason its absolutely crap in my eyes. the only good thing about it is the gamepad settings.

im dissapointed, i installed kodi and because there isnt any status bar i couldnt close kodi and when i clicked kodi shutdown it just froze and that was it no way getting out. what a load of crap that is.

edit: whats supposed to be the big deal about android tv? whats its advantage? if any? lol

edit: antutu score is 10,000 POINTS LOWERS THAN SHOMARIS 5.1.1 ROM WHAT A JOKE! how do you expect this rom to be good?

edit: gamepad settings dont work properly, i remember someones rom where they had gamepad settings and my game pad worked out of the box in all games.

What the farmer does not know, he does not eat. (lol)

I like android tv since the first day I had it on my box.
And why did you install Kodi? its already pre installed. (lol)
The special Rockchip version by Ugoos we normaly have to install manually.
The only one that works whitout any glitches when using a Rockchip box.
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rk3688-devices-aa/kodi-for-rk3368

A taskbar on a tv with the remote control? Are you serious? Just press home and you are fine.
And android gaming is casual gaming. To play real games, i switch on my pc or ps4 pro.
Gaming is nice to have, but finally nothing I really need. Watching movies is the most important for me.
But I wish to have the better cpu performance without buying a new box. That's for sure.

My gamepad worked out of the box. On any android. So it looks like your gamepad is crap.
And you are not able to set it up on your own? Even if you got a pre installed tool to do so? That says a lot about you. (lol)

And why are your screaming when you talk about the pretty buggy, but also pretty fast Shamori rom?
Because of the taskbar it has, to handle all its bugs? (lol)

I still keep on dreaming of a rom like Coolios with the speed of Shamoris.

But I don't like bugs at all, even not the fast ones. (lol)

alz_uk

Oct 3, 2012
What the farmer does not know, he does not eat. (lol)

I like android tv since the first day I had it on my box.
And why did you install Kodi? its already pre installed. (lol)
The special Rockchip version by Ugoos we normaly have to install manually.
The only one that works whitout any glitches when using a Rockchip box.
http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/rk3688-devices-aa/kodi-for-rk3368

A taskbar on a tv with the remote control? Are you serious? Just press home and you are fine.
And android gaming is casual gaming. To play real games, i switch on my pc or ps4 pro.
Gaming is nice to have, but finally nothing I really need. Watching movies is the most important for me.
But I wish to have the better cpu performance without buying a new box. That's for sure.

My gamepad worked out of the box. On any android. So it looks like your gamepad is crap.
And you are not able to set it up on your own? Even if you got a pre installed tool to do so? That says a lot about you. (lol)

And why are your screaming when you talk about the pretty buggy, but also pretty fast Shamori rom?
Because of the taskbar it has, to handle all its bugs? (lol)

I still keep on dreaming of a rom like Coolios with the speed of Shamoris.

But I don't like bugs at all, even not the fast ones. (lol)

first of all regarding coolios rom the big advatage was being able to supposedly configure gamepad BUT NO IT DOSENT WORK ONLY HALF OF THE BUTTONS ARE RECOGNIZED! it dosent say much about me but it does about the developer!

whats wrong with having the status bar there for multi tasking or switching apps or even force closing them? thats a much better approach the new way to go forward is multi tasking and more control.

soo compared to shomaris rom this rom is worse off 10,000 antutu scores worser. whats the use having so so TV style android where you cant install apps from playstore (not the usual ones your only allowed tv style apps) lol this is a big joke. the only other way is to sideload them why bring problems when they werent there before?

soo back to shomaris true octo core rom for me until something better comes along.

EDIT: WARNING TO ALL AFTER FLASHING AND USING COOLIOS SLIMBOY ROM I AM NO LONGER ABLE TO USE THE LATEST SHOMARI ROM, IT JUST WONT BOOT ANYMORE. SO BEWARE!!!

EDIT: if you are no longer able to flash shomaris latest rom after flashing coolios rom the solution is to flash a working previous version of shomaris rom e.g version 1.5 then flash system.img from the latest version rom.

Last edited:

miltblue

Dec 29, 2014
Raleigh, NC
first of all regarding coolios rom the big advatage was being able to supposedly configure gamepad BUT NO IT DOSENT WORK ONLY HALF OF THE BUTTONS ARE RECOGNIZED! it dosent say much about me but it does about the developer!

whats wrong with having the status bar there for multi tasking or switching apps or even force closing them? thats a much better approach the new way to go forward is multi tasking and more control.

soo compared to shomaris rom this rom is worse off 10,000 antutu scores worser. whats the use having so so TV style android where you cant install apps from playstore (not the usual ones your only allowed tv style apps) lol this is a big joke. the only other way is to sideload them why bring problems when they werent there before?

soo back to shomaris true octo core rom for me until something better comes along.

EDIT: WARNING TO ALL AFTER FLASHING AND USING COOLIOS SLIMBOY ROM I AM NO LONGER ABLE TO USE THE LATEST SHOMARI ROM, IT JUST WONT BOOT ANYMORE. SO BEWARE!!!

EDIT: if you are no longer able to flash shomaris latest rom after flashing coolios rom the solution is to flash a working previous version of shomaris rom e.g version 1.5 then flash system.img from the latest version rom.
Using the the Android Tool, one can do an erase rom to clear all remnants of the prior image, putting the the device in maskrom mode and then flash the new image. I suppose it can be done with the batch tool also, all though I haven't tried it.

Last edited:

holy_moly

Mar 14, 2009

Hey Brother Grimm. Your are still screaming like a child. Because of what? Inexperience? (lol)
So the half of your buttons are not regonized. That's hard.
And the fault of the developer of your gamepad. Nobody else.

Did you ever heard about lmgtfy?
A perfect service for such nice community members like me. (lol)

I had test Shomaris rom on my own.
So lets start counting to compare with any other Z4 rom.

this is your big argument +10k in antutu

-2000 < because it has no sound in antutu
-1500 < because it has no standby, shutdown or restart
-5000 < because it has no ethernet
-7000 < because you can't use your infrared remote anymore
-100000000 > because of the heat (even in idle it ****ing hot), black screens, crashes and forced restarts .....

Now it is time to stop counting, because we are already below 0

This Shomaris rom is a prof of concept. Pre pre alpha. Nice to test and see what might be possible if it is final.
So long not worth to use as your main rom.

And you are really using this as your main rom! Seriously?
Are you Shomari? (lol)

Last edited:

alz_uk

Oct 3, 2012
Hey Brother Grimm. Your are still screaming like a child. Because of what? Inexperience? (lol)
So the half of your buttons are not regonized. That's hard.
And the fault of the developer of your gamepad. Nobody else.

Did you ever heard about lmgtfy?
A perfect service for such nice community members like me. (lol)

I had test Shomaris rom on my own.
So lets start counting to compare with any other Z4 rom.

this is your big argument +10k in antutu

-2000 < because it has no sound in antutu
-1500 < because it has no standby, shutdown or restart
-5000 < because it has no ethernet
-7000 < because you can't use your infrared remote anymore
-100000000 > because of the heat (even in idle it ****ing hot), black screens, crashes and forced restarts .....

Now it is time to stop counting, because we are already below 0

This Shomaris rom is a prof of concept. Pre pre alpha. Nice to test and see what might be possible if it is final.
So long not worth to use as your main rom.

And you are really using this as your main rom! Seriously?
Are you Shomari? (lol)

brother, brother my dear brother....... LOL

you are soo funny. you think we users here at xda developers are stupid or something?

yes i use shomaris rom the final version as my main rom and i have NONE OF THE PROBLEMS YOU MENTION, HEAT? MY UNIT STAYS ****COLD**** EVEN WHEN IM STREAMING 4K MOVIES OVER MY NETWORK TO MY 4K TV.

EVERYTHING INCLUDING SHUTDOWN AND RESTART WORK AND THE REMOTE. SO WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I USE IT AS MY DAILY DRIVER !!!!

something seriously wrong with your unit or something.

Reactions: roland deschan

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hi! Try new firmware for android z4 6.0.1 https://yadi.sk/d/g8f6Y6EKsPUgA
    only for test
    Welcome,
    After months of searching and traying I finally found solution for DD and DTS in "Kodi" by HDMI Bitrate and DTS HD-Master and Dolby True HD in MXPlayer :):):)
    Solution:
    1. You have to install "Z4_UGOOS_MOD_V1.5" firmware made by @Yablar.
    2. Change in audio settings to HDMI Bitrate.
    3. Delete default Kodi version.
    4. Install "ugoos_kodi_20160620.apk" from ugoos oficial page.
    5. In ugoos kodi SYSTEM settings (expert) choose transfer to output device on (or something similar) and all settings DD,DTS... to on. Don't turn on DSP.
    6. In Video settings you have to turn off "Accelerate RKCodec" in "RKMC" tab because if is ON the video is not playing fluently.

Thats all. Have a nice day/night :)
    Ok so which is the latest Rom i would like to try the tru octa core rom as this does sound pretty good, but would like the updated version. Like i said, i have so many different versions downloaded to different devices and places, im a little lost tbh. And you mention using flash tool, is this the software with the big red button or the other software I used the other one with the colour pics, i edited the txt file for English language, so i could follow it.

go to freaktab forum and under rk3368 find the true octocore thread theres two go into the latest one at the top and theres full instructions and links for download.
    Nvidia Shield has had hardware problems, from tablet to TV version, besides being more than double the price. Also just quad-core. Dont know whether App storage space is large unified or not.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...pro-android-tv-units-for-hard-drive-failures/
    12/22 firmware. Unified 16gb App storage. More available with microsd card. Fully functional Kodi with channels, etc. 4k HEVC x265 movies. Youtube 1080p.

Easiest method to update rom is to put extracted update.img from zip file
    http://chinagadgetsreviews.blogspot.ro/2016/01/download-latest-android-lollipop-511.html?m=1
    on a sdcard / usb and boot. After about a minute into the Android desktop, system will ask for update prompt. Only applicable to system still with default recovery.

If you have some stability issues or with different recovery, you can backup your apps / data with Titanium etc. and then use above Factory tool restore new rom.

These roms usually come with their own recovery, but some modded ones with TWRP/full root, supersu and all. But you dont really need them.