• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

zenfone 2 vs oneplus one :D

zenfone 2 ( 2.3/ 4 gigs) vs one plus one

• zenfone 2 (2.3gghz/4 gigs)

Votes: 88 81.5%
  • oneplus one

Votes: 20 18.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

Neo_N5

Apr 30, 2014
Lyon
They're both as powerful but ZenFone 2 as ZenUI. And this make the difference for me.
However, if I had to judge the company, OnePlus will be far away ahead of Asus.
Because, let's face it, OnePlus has built an awesome phone wich is still a year later a flagship killer, whereas Asus, for the same price, build a phone that has the same specs and an Intel processor... They failed, and I don't think they will sell as many Zenfone 2 ZE551ML as Oneplus sold OnePlus One

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
They're both as powerful but ZenFone 2 as ZenUI. And this make the difference for me.
Because, let's face it, OnePlus has built an awesome phone wich is still a year later a flagship killer, whereas Asus, for the same price, build a phone that has the same specs and an Intel processor... They failed, and I don't think they will sell as many Zenfone 2 ZE551ML as Oneplus sold OnePlus One

Well asus is a trusted brand and oneplus is new

Asus has a good support here in india just like samsung...

Oneplus has the poorest service in india

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
well to each his own haha.. personally i prefer the intel chip for its better web performance.. not to mention the zf2 is cheaper than the OPO

the thing im missing here is the lack of CM and custom roms.. but hopefully its just a matter of time :)

Intel is good and fast and as relaible as qualcomm
The missing thing is core managent .. As all cores are always online .. .
And yess custom roms should not be much away. .

But the doubt arises when we look at the previous models like zf5 or zf6 which do not have a xda forum as well...

I hope there is developmnt ... Bcoz i cant live with zenui all the time :D ...

I lovee tweaking the romz :D

Reactions: Stephen 26

Neo_N5

Apr 30, 2014
Lyon
Intel is good and fast and as relaible as qualcomm
But the doubt arises when we look at the previous models like zf5 or zf6 which do not have a xda forum as well...
Intel is fine but has a x86 architecture which makes it harder to have custom ROMS. And ZF5 and 6 were not as powerful as the ZenFone 2

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Yes of course but first, I really love the Never Settle mind from OnePlus whereas Asus is just a company like others...

And then in France, ZenFone 2 was announced on March 31th, and it was immediately available for sale. However, shipments really started on April 20th and only in Silver and Red. Black and Gold ZF2 have been delayed.

So I bought on April 12th a black ZenFone 2 on the Asus eShop
1) It was written at this time "shipped before May 6th"
2) Asus Shop didn't give me any information. All I got was coming from French Asus CM on Twitter, and very often, his informations were wrong and incomplete
3) Finally, after more than 1 month waiting, on May 18th, they send me an email telling me that they were unable to send me the black ZE551ML and that they will give my money back. The solution they gave me was to buy a new one in Silver and they gave me an indemnification which was a View FlipCover Deluxe that I already have.
4)I asked them for an another indemnification and they told me Sorry not possible. But they could have known it because I ordred the cover at their store.
5) Finally, I ordered the new one on May 20th, on May 21st I received an email to tell me that the Black so the first one was shipped. So what do I do ? Should I cancel my order ? Then I will loose the poor indemnification...
6)For each email that I send them, it need 1-2 working days to get an answer, and their phone number is charged !

So, with all that stuff, I think that I can say that Asus and particularly their eShop is just incompetent, and I think that if I ordered a OnePlus One I would have already received it.

Moreover, my previous phone was a Nexus 5 and Google support was great.

aj7400

May 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Intel is fine but has a x86 architecture which makes it harder to have custom ROMS. And ZF5 and 6 were not as powerful as the ZenFone 2

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 AM ----------

Yes of course but first, I really love the Never Settle mind from OnePlus whereas Asus is just a company like others...

And then in France, ZenFone 2 was announced on March 31th, and it was immediately available for sale. However, shipments really started on April 20th and only in Silver and Red. Black and Gold ZF2 have been delayed.

So I bought on April 12th a black ZenFone 2 on the Asus eShop
1) It was written at this time "shipped before May 6th"
2) Asus Shop didn't give me any information. All I got was coming from French Asus CM on Twitter, and very often, his informations were wrong and incomplete
3) Finally, after more than 1 month waiting, on May 18th, they send me an email telling me that they were unable to send me the black ZE551ML and that they will give my money back. The solution they gave me was to buy a new one in Silver and they gave me an indemnification which was a View FlipCover Deluxe that I already have.
4)I asked them for an another indemnification and they told me Sorry not possible. But they could have known it because I ordred the cover at their store.
5) Finally, I ordered the new one on May 20th, on May 21st I received an email to tell me that the Black so the first one was shipped. So what do I do ? Should I cancel my order ? Then I will loose the poor indemnification...
6)For each email that I send them, it need 1-2 working days to get an answer, and their phone number is charged !

So, with all that stuff, I think that I can say that Asus and particularly their eShop is just incompetent, and I think that if I ordered a OnePlus One I would have already received it.

Moreover, my previous phone was a Nexus 5 and Google support was great.

Bro u dont know how bad the service of oneplus one is in india ...
A minor defect needs 3 months at service centre ...
And a broken screen costs more than 70% of amount of oneplus one ..

So i think going with asus is a better option for people in india :D

And soon i think devs will start developing roms for zf2 and it could do wonders ..

More over samsung in one of its tablets to be released in futured has used a high end. Intel chipset... :D

Neo_N5

Apr 30, 2014
Lyon
Bro u dont know how bad the service of oneplus one is in india ...
A minor defect needs 3 months at service centre ...
And a broken screen costs more than 70% of amount of oneplus one ..

So i think going with asus is a better option for people in india :D

And soon i think devs will start developing roms for zf2 and it could do wonders ..

More over samsung in one of its tablets to be released in futured has used a high end. Intel chipset... :D

Indeed I hope that we will receive developpers attention, maybe CM !!! :fingers-crossed:

AceHa92

Mar 9, 2012
Rouen
I would like to add that when the OPO was launched, it was nearly impossible to get one. Just few people managed to get invitations and buy one. And it makes only one month since we can buy it without an invitation.
The Zenfone 2 had some problems to be launched because of the big demand, but all people who pre-ordered it before 10 april (day of the official launch) received it one month after their order. But It was a way easier to get than the OPO.

Moreover i'd like to point out that according to rumors about the OnePlus 2, the Asus Zenfone 2 is quite the same product, because (again according to rumors) the OP2 is the same as the OPO except the processor.

In my opinion, the Zenfone 2 is a way better product than the OnePlus One.

Chinaphonearena

Dec 8, 2013

OnePlus was great with marketing and built a powerful phone, but that's it. It took forever for it to actually be available.

Zenfone 2 will smoke OnePlus One in sales. It won't even be close as Asus is available retail internationally and actually have the clout, presence nd wherewithal to supply the demand.

As to custom ROMs etc... These will come. Zenfone 2 is barely out the gate.

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011
OnePlus was great with marketing and built a powerful phone, but that's it. It took forever for it to actually be available.

Zenfone 2 will smoke OnePlus One in sales. It won't even be close as Asus is available retail internationally and actually have the clout, presence nd wherewithal to supply the demand.

As to custom ROMs etc... These will come. Zenfone 2 is barely out the gate.

ASUS announced at the 5/19 that sales were at 10MM. OPO sold about a million as of a few months ago.

I had touchscreen problem with OPO since the day I got the phone and their customer service is beyond horrible so IMO Zf2 is already miles ahead of OnePlus.

Harfainx

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 10, 2010
I've had both since before either launch... And I can say that honestly it's a matter of preference.

They both perform really well, and they're both great phones.

There's no way to say that one flat-out beats the other. Specs are great and all, but the user experience is different, but can be changed based on which ROM/launcher is used.

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011
I've had both since before either launch... And I can say that honestly it's a matter of preference.

There's no way to say that one flat-out beats the other. Specs are great and all, but the user experience is different, but can be changed based on which ROM/launcher is used.

As long as you get an OPO without lemon touchscreen, the experience is largely comparable.

Battery life and performance are extremely similar.

OPO Pros:
- capacitive keys light up
- better power button placement
- much better developer support
- better display
- louder speakers
- better brightness range

Zf2 pros:
- DSDA
- cheaper
- Quick charging
- Better accessories
- expandable storage
- extra gig of RAM
- better digitizer

The camera quality is a wash. They're quite similar and OPO technically has the better quality sensor but the overall camera software and experience is probably Zf2.

Performance and hardware... Again, largely a wash. The Zf2 technically has the slightly better and faster hardware and more RAM but in practice I imagine the greater ARM optimization due to familiarity levels things.

The quality of the display is better in the OPO and the brightness range is greater but the digitizer tech on that phone completely blows. Very outdated, one crack renders the whole panel useless.

The OPO dual speaker (but still mono) setup gets appreciably louder than Zf2 but since both speakers face the same direction, a holding hand can muffle the sound somewhat more easily than Zf2 back facing speaker.

The capacitive buttons on OPO light up, which is very useful. And the developer support is the best available on Android outside of Nexus devices.

I'm not sure why but the Zf2 is more comfortable to hold in hand than the OPO. I can easily use both one handed but for some reason the slightly shorter (yet slightly thicker and wider) Zf2 is more comfortable than OPO in hand.

OPO feels slightly more premium to me (faux aluminum band I s'pose). Both lack barometers and wireless charging. Zf2 charges a helluva lot faster.

In practice, I've found the Zf2 a better daily driver simply because it's more reliable from a hardware standpoint (I had so many problems with touch recognition on my OPO and typing was a pain) and its thermal performance is much, much, much better. OPO would heat up and throttle often. Zf2 performs in the summer temp and sun much better, throttling far less.

Unless the software experience of open device like OPO is must have, I would definitely recommend Zf2 over it ten times out of ten.

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
I have both devices.
Zenfone 2 is nice. Love the screen. 4GB of RAM is alright with me!
64GB of storage is plenty for my needs and the price is right at $299 USD.
So far as far as performance they both seem to be about neck and neck.
Camera in my humble "opinion" seems better on the Zenfone 2.
Custom ROMs/bleeding edge ROMs on the OPO is nice and seems to have a nice amount of development.
ZenUI is just OK to me. Google Now launcher went on my Zenfone 2 right away.
Either phone is a great deal for their respective prices.
Win + Win = Win
Customer service from OnePlus has proven a challenge in the past but seems to be getting better daily.
I really don't think either phone is any better than the other. It really is just a matter of taste. For $50 more for the OPO I wouldn't feel hurt spending that over the Zenfone 2 it is still a great phone and has been my daily driver since last July.
I'm still "test driving" the Zenfone 2 and I am impressed with it so far. Only trivial complaint I have is the Asus software/bloat included. It isn't offensive since the phone is easily rooted and Titanium Backup freezes stuff just fine!

Edit:
Don't believe the hype about 5.5" screen on a 5" frame.... This 5.5" phone is actually a little bit bigger than the OnePlus One although you wouldn't notice it unless holding them side by side

Last edited:

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
OnePlus One battery life totally wins hands down.. No matter what ROM I use, stock, custom etc. Battery life is fairly weak on the Zenfone 2 considering the size of the battery. Thank god for speedy charging

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

As long as you get an OPO without lemon touchscreen, the experience is largely comparable.

Battery life and performance are extremely similar.

OPO Pros:
    - capacitive keys light up
    - better power button placement
    - much better developer support
    - better display
    - louder speakers
    - better brightness range

Zf2 pros:
    - DSDA
    - cheaper
    - Quick charging
    - Better accessories
    - expandable storage
    - extra gig of RAM
    - better digitizer

The camera quality is a wash. They're quite similar and OPO technically has the better quality sensor but the overall camera software and experience is probably Zf2.

Performance and hardware... Again, largely a wash. The Zf2 technically has the slightly better and faster hardware and more RAM but in practice I imagine the greater ARM optimization due to familiarity levels things.

The quality of the display is better in the OPO and the brightness range is greater but the digitizer tech on that phone completely blows. Very outdated, one crack renders the whole panel useless.

The OPO dual speaker (but still mono) setup gets appreciably louder than Zf2 but since both speakers face the same direction, a holding hand can muffle the sound somewhat more easily than Zf2 back facing speaker.

The capacitive buttons on OPO light up, which is very useful. And the developer support is the best available on Android outside of Nexus devices.

I'm not sure why but the Zf2 is more comfortable to hold in hand than the OPO. I can easily use both one handed but for some reason the slightly shorter (yet slightly thicker and wider) Zf2 is more comfortable than OPO in hand.

OPO feels slightly more premium to me (faux aluminum band I s'pose). Both lack barometers and wireless charging. Zf2 charges a helluva lot faster.

In practice, I've found the Zf2 a better daily driver simply because it's more reliable from a hardware standpoint (I had so many problems with touch recognition on my OPO and typing was a pain) and its thermal performance is much, much, much better. OPO would heat up and throttle often. Zf2 performs in the summer temp and sun much better, throttling far less.

Unless the software experience of open device like OPO is must have, I would definitely recommend Zf2 over it ten times out of ten.
    I sold my OPO... Very happy with Zf2!
    well to each his own haha.. personally i prefer the intel chip for its better web performance.. not to mention the zf2 is cheaper than the OPO

the thing im missing here is the lack of CM and custom roms.. but hopefully its just a matter of time :)

OnePlus has the worst customer service department.