• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

zenfone 2 vs oneplus one :D

zenfone 2 ( 2.3/ 4 gigs) vs one plus one

• zenfone 2 (2.3gghz/4 gigs)

Votes: 88 81.5%
  • oneplus one

Votes: 20 18.5%

• Total voters
Search This thread

arrosen

Apr 19, 2011
Still Deciding

My OPO is the best phone I have ever had, except for the digitizer. Whenever mine gets hot, it dies. No touches are recognized. I loaded a ROM that fixes it, but it kills the battery life, and today, when I left my phone in the sun, it was rendered totally useless again. I just ordered the ZF2, and I hope I made the right decision.

cas8180

Apr 1, 2007
Las Vegas
I currently own the opo and ordered the idol 3 hoping for some hardware upgrades other than the processor. However I have been following the zenfone 2 for some time now. I have to admit I am quite drawn to it and definitely thinking about grabbing the 199 model just to play with it. In all the video reviews I have seen people stated that the performance difference between the 4gb and 2gb model for the most part weren't even noticeable even when doing heavy multi tasking. So it might be worth it for me just to get the cheaper model and throw an SD card in it. I wish the camera didn't have such bipolar reviews I was hoping for an upgrade from the OPO.

Sent from my XT1031 using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

I came from OnePlus... and I don't regret my decision...

What's your take on the camera comparison? Also the front cam's?

aatjitra

Mar 8, 2007
Sembawang, Singapore
---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

well... Camera in CM is disappointing for me... but other people may have different opinion...

ZF2 with the latest firmware (2.17) can produce a pretty good results.. huge improvement from previous version (2.15)... but unfortunately this new firmware has another annoying bug... Asus has confirmed this bug and they have escalated to the department in charge... hopefully they will fix it in the new release...

For front camera, I didn't really notice it as I very seldom taking picture with front camera...

Reactions: Aceofzeroz

squall2099

Apr 28, 2011
Totally true. Touch screen issues with opo. Horrible customer service. Can't use it outside in the sun, starts having touch screen issues within minutes. I crack my screen, a very small crack the whole screen is useless now. My biggest problems are there customer service team and the touch screen issues.

Reactions: Aceofzeroz

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
As long as you get an OPO without lemon touchscreen, the experience is largely comparable.

Battery life and performance are extremely similar.

OPO Pros:
- capacitive keys light up
- better power button placement
- much better developer support
- better display
- louder speakers
- better brightness range

Zf2 pros:
- DSDA
- cheaper
- Quick charging
- Better accessories
- expandable storage
- extra gig of RAM
- better digitizer

The camera quality is a wash. They're quite similar and OPO technically has the better quality sensor but the overall camera software and experience is probably Zf2.

Performance and hardware... Again, largely a wash. The Zf2 technically has the slightly better and faster hardware and more RAM but in practice I imagine the greater ARM optimization due to familiarity levels things.

The quality of the display is better in the OPO and the brightness range is greater but the digitizer tech on that phone completely blows. Very outdated, one crack renders the whole panel useless.

The OPO dual speaker (but still mono) setup gets appreciably louder than Zf2 but since both speakers face the same direction, a holding hand can muffle the sound somewhat more easily than Zf2 back facing speaker.

The capacitive buttons on OPO light up, which is very useful. And the developer support is the best available on Android outside of Nexus devices.

I'm not sure why but the Zf2 is more comfortable to hold in hand than the OPO. I can easily use both one handed but for some reason the slightly shorter (yet slightly thicker and wider) Zf2 is more comfortable than OPO in hand.

OPO feels slightly more premium to me (faux aluminum band I s'pose). Both lack barometers and wireless charging. Zf2 charges a helluva lot faster.

In practice, I've found the Zf2 a better daily driver simply because it's more reliable from a hardware standpoint (I had so many problems with touch recognition on my OPO and typing was a pain) and its thermal performance is much, much, much better. OPO would heat up and throttle often. Zf2 performs in the summer temp and sun much better, throttling far less.

Unless the software experience of open device like OPO is must have, I would definitely recommend Zf2 over it ten times out of ten.

Nice job! Having own (ed) both I agree with your observations.

Sent from my ZenFone 2!

MrKoji

Apr 26, 2015
Asus has advantage on their after sales service not just with OP but against other companies as well. They are one of the leading companies that wont leave you alone after buying a product.

ansebovi

I currently own the opo and ordered the idol 3 hoping for some hardware upgrades other than the processor. However I have been following the zenfone 2 for some time now. I have to admit I am quite drawn to it and definitely thinking about grabbing the 199 model just to play with it. In all the video reviews I have seen people stated that the performance difference between the 4gb and 2gb model for the most part weren't even noticeable even when doing heavy multi tasking. So it might be worth it for me just to get the cheaper model and throw an SD card in it. I wish the camera didn't have such bipolar reviews I was hoping for an upgrade from the OPO.

I am using ZE551ML 2gb version, seriously multitasking is so hard after a day or two.. . Ram management combined with lollipop memory leak.. Leave users to have only around 300 to 500mb.. With that you can't do multitasking ... If you want to enjoy multitasking then zf2 4gb is the only one you can look into,, but in my zf2 2gb, I never seen lag.. It really do wonders in high graphics game, almost same performance of zf2 4gb but only if you compare foreground app,..

Feb 1, 2015
Loving the 4g ram ZE551ML
pqUiPVw.jpg

Edit: this is with bloat removed

Last edited:

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
After a week with the ZF2 I am back on my OnePlus One.
I tried to like the ZF2
These are the things that made me dislike it
Asus bloat apps and services. Holy crap thats a lot
Poor battery life
Crappy design choice to not have the capacitive buttons backlit.
The size of the phone especially with a case is too big
Zenui experience overall isn't bad but the added bloat apps and services was really a big disappointment. I know I can root and freeze apps etc
My OPO is just better for me. My preference.

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
The ZF2 is too big but the Oneplus isn't? Aside from the ZF being a little thicker the two phones are essentially the same size.

Its huge with the case. It is a little wider and thicker without the case as well. And in the hand it is considerably thicker. I didn't read the initial size specs but their false claim of a 5.5" screen in 5" sized phone is complete BS.

rlaw

Jul 13, 2011
Its huge with the case. It is a little wider and thicker without the case as well. And in the hand it is considerably thicker. I didn't read the initial size specs but their false claim of a 5.5" screen in 5" sized phone is complete BS.

OnePlus made the same claim when first teasing the OPO and the dimensions are almost the exact same. Zf2 is slightly shorter, slightly thicker and slightly wider.

I actually find the Zf2 more comfortable in hand for whatever reason.

And for what it's worth, OPO/Zf2 are close in dimensions to 5" G2 while packing a bigger display. They're noticeable taller by about 2 centimeters but very similar otherwise.

Last edited:

goolac

Jan 2, 2011
Coming from a Galaxy S5 (At&t) with a custom ROM, I wanted something newer. For me it was a dead heat between the OPO and the ZF2.
I saw the red variant 2.3/4/64 on newegg with a free powerpack, and I pulled the trigger. I have had the ZF2 for nearly 2 weeks now. I have to admit. I really love it.
The battery life is nearly identical to my S5. The ZenUI is actually very well done. The bloatware by ASUS is expected and does not get in the way.
The build quality is nearly identical to my S5. BUT the performance is off the chain! I have been very happy with it. OnePlus has announced the Two and it is expected to be released later this year. THAT will be the phone to compare the ZF2 to.
Who knows? The OP2 my be that much better and at that time I may switch but for now the ZF2 has been a solid phone for $300.

flappjaxxx

Apr 8, 2009
Somewhere, FL
The few negative things I listed still don't make me feel bad about my purchase of the ZF2. The ZF2 is an awesome deal for the money. An unlocked phone with dual sims, nice specs and small price tag is a no brainer. I prefer a more closer to Google experience just didn't want the 6" Nexus. There are some things I don't care for on the OPO. The camera is crap, fortunately I'm not snapping off pics and selfies left and right. I found the ZF2 camera a little less noisy but still not great but better.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

Now that the OnePlus One is on sale, is the Zenfone 2 still the better value?

For me no. For someone with an older phone ready to upgrade, it's a helluva deal. That OPO price drop should generate some sales :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had both since before either launch... And I can say that honestly it's a matter of preference.

They both perform really well, and they're both great phones.

There's no way to say that one flat-out beats the other. Specs are great and all, but the user experience is different, but can be changed based on which ROM/launcher is used.

As long as you get an OPO without lemon touchscreen, the experience is largely comparable.

Battery life and performance are extremely similar.

OPO Pros:
    - capacitive keys light up
    - better power button placement
    - much better developer support
    - better display
    - louder speakers
    - better brightness range

Zf2 pros:
    - DSDA
    - cheaper
    - Quick charging
    - Better accessories
    - expandable storage
    - extra gig of RAM
    - better digitizer

The camera quality is a wash. They're quite similar and OPO technically has the better quality sensor but the overall camera software and experience is probably Zf2.

Performance and hardware... Again, largely a wash. The Zf2 technically has the slightly better and faster hardware and more RAM but in practice I imagine the greater ARM optimization due to familiarity levels things.

The quality of the display is better in the OPO and the brightness range is greater but the digitizer tech on that phone completely blows. Very outdated, one crack renders the whole panel useless.

The OPO dual speaker (but still mono) setup gets appreciably louder than Zf2 but since both speakers face the same direction, a holding hand can muffle the sound somewhat more easily than Zf2 back facing speaker.

The capacitive buttons on OPO light up, which is very useful. And the developer support is the best available on Android outside of Nexus devices.

I'm not sure why but the Zf2 is more comfortable to hold in hand than the OPO. I can easily use both one handed but for some reason the slightly shorter (yet slightly thicker and wider) Zf2 is more comfortable than OPO in hand.

OPO feels slightly more premium to me (faux aluminum band I s'pose). Both lack barometers and wireless charging. Zf2 charges a helluva lot faster.

In practice, I've found the Zf2 a better daily driver simply because it's more reliable from a hardware standpoint (I had so many problems with touch recognition on my OPO and typing was a pain) and its thermal performance is much, much, much better. OPO would heat up and throttle often. Zf2 performs in the summer temp and sun much better, throttling far less.

Unless the software experience of open device like OPO is must have, I would definitely recommend Zf2 over it ten times out of ten.
    I sold my OPO... Very happy with Zf2!
    well to each his own haha.. personally i prefer the intel chip for its better web performance.. not to mention the zf2 is cheaper than the OPO

the thing im missing here is the lack of CM and custom roms.. but hopefully its just a matter of time :)
    They're both as powerful but ZenFone 2 as ZenUI. And this make the difference for me.
    However, if I had to judge the company, OnePlus will be far away ahead of Asus.
    Because, let's face it, OnePlus has built an awesome phone wich is still a year later a flagship killer, whereas Asus, for the same price, build a phone that has the same specs and an Intel processor... They failed, and I don't think they will sell as many Zenfone 2 ZE551ML as Oneplus sold OnePlus One

Well asus is a trusted brand and oneplus is new

Asus has a good support here in india just like samsung...

Oneplus has the poorest service in india
    OnePlus has the worst customer service department.