• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Zenfone 5Z stock Rom and thermal throttling charger - How can I change this behavior?

Search This thread

fastrespawn

Sep 19, 2021
I'm almost sure this is a kernel setting, but I decided to ask here first because I've already soft bricked my 5Z when trying to root it. It's merely got an unlocked bootloader with the most recent stock ROM now.

I use this phone as a backup processor (its snapdragon processor is 50% as good in processing as a Ryzen 3700u to my use, which is amazing considering it's a phone). As with every ARM, thermal throttling soon kicks in and the performance drops. I solved this partially by having two 120mm fans, one blowing in and another taking the air out of its case.

Depending on the ambient temp, it carries on processing with 5-6cores out of 8. It's impossible to use 7 or 8, because the phone automatically drops the current being drawn from charger - even though the battery itself isn't hot (with the cooling, it never gets above 37 ºC which is safe for a phone). So what happens is that the phone eventually dry the battery until it dies and turns it off.

How can I change this behavior? It seems that root wouldn't solve this, as far as I know root would only let me control cores and frequencies, but the kernel would still stop the charger in an attempt to cool off. I would like to keep the charger drawing as fast as it can (2.7mAH from my tests) and let the CPU/ARM self regulate its performance to deal with heat, and finalLy be able to use the 8 cores.

Is this possible with a custom kernel? Or is it some configuration buried deep in the usb port that cannot be changed?

fastrespawn

Sep 19, 2021
Follow up: the problem is not with the charger, or the port. 10 seconds after I stop the processing and the heat is dissipated, the phone goes back to charging at full speed.