Question Zenfone 8 suddenly died - no sign of life - Asus EU support not covering because of an unlocked bootloader

Search This thread

Coco83

Sep 25, 2021
Welcome to the club… Unfortunately no other known way than to send it to Asus for repair, and hopefully they will fix it for free unless they can find a way to deny you of your customer rights..
I bought the phone brand new which was already un-lock as I use two sims, one personal and one for business. Today this afternoon the screen turn black and never turn on. luckily I have the old Huawei P30 and swap the sims. but I'm gutted as I have lots of things in my ZF8

raimis78

Sep 3, 2010
Funny enough, in more than 20 years of using computers and other tech, I had only one hard drive and two GPUs that died, both GPUs were Asus. Granted this was in 2010-2012, but still.

brainwash123

Jun 27, 2012
So update: After a bit of back and forth emailing, I finally got an answer: « Im really sorry but our answer will not change. By using the unlock tool you have agreed that the warranty will be dropped, no matter what problem you are experiencing and regardless of how the problem arose. »

So basically they openly agree that they are scamming me of 500€ after selling me a faulty device, but thanks to an abusive clause, they think they can do it.

Great customer service, always a pleasure to give business to such a great company as Asus… I’ll get my lawyer involved now, anyone who has advices on the legal process in the EU is very welcome.

Well, in EU it's illegal to deny warranty claims due to customer changes that had nothing to do with the actual damage. I would just try to get a different person from Asus, it would seem pretty stupid that none of them are aware of this law.

flolaff

Dec 21, 2010
Well, in EU it's illegal to deny warranty claims due to customer changes that had nothing to do with the actual damage. I would just try to get a different person from Asus, it would seem pretty stupid that none of them are aware of this law.
Well, actually I opened a case at the European Commission’s « Online Dispute Resolution » against Asus Europe, and didn’t get an answer, but 3 days later I got an email from UPS saying that they had shipped my repaired phone back.

Still trying to get any apology/explanation from Asus but I guess they finally accepted haha, good news for me anyways.

MasterWoju

Mar 21, 2017
well it just happened to me also, luckily i didnt unlocked bootloader. lol after a moment it just worked again. I thought its dead due to mass reports of this issue. strange. it just stopped working for a moment, after 5minutes of holding power button and sound off together. it just restarted, ramdump screen didnt appear

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: blackhawk

Undead_Son

Feb 24, 2014
Kaunas
ASUS ZenFone 8
Speaking of the battery and usb, it happens each time the phone is charging.

Also wanted to ask those who can reboot their phones, are they still working? I'm a bit worried mine won't reboot anymore one day...

Mar 15, 2016
Same here, phone was charging, suddenly turned off. Since then no sight of life, no led, Display won't turn on, nothing.
Asked Asus for refund, no chance because I bought my phone from China HongKong not EU. Asus can't even offer fee-based repair because then "don't have the spareparts".
Now I'm disgussing with my seller for refund....

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Same here, phone was charging, suddenly turned off. Since then no sight of life, no led, Display won't turn on, nothing.
Asked Asus for refund, no chance because I bought my phone from China HongKong not EU. Asus can't even offer fee-based repair because then "don't have the spareparts".
Now I'm disgussing with my seller for refund....
If bought it with a MC or Visa contact the bank about doing a charge back. You will need to return the phone to the vendor before that will take.
Meh, I don't goof around with stuff like this and go for the throat if the manufacturer or vendor gives me a hard way to go...

sakun-ice

Nov 10, 2012
I am not a user of this phone but I have visited this forum because it attracts my attention and I could buy this or the zenfone 9 in the future. But reading this has surprised me. It is a very serious problem and Asus should solve it immediately.

Moncicci

Apr 15, 2012
Well, actually I opened a case at the European Commission’s « Online Dispute Resolution » against Asus Europe, and didn’t get an answer, but 3 days later I got an email from UPS saying that they had shipped my repaired phone back.

Still trying to get any apology/explanation from Asus but I guess they finally accepted haha, good news for me anyways.
interesting, can you explain the procedure? Maybe someone can do the same
Are there any costs to open this dispute?
Thanks

flolaff

Dec 21, 2010
interesting, can you explain the procedure? Maybe someone can do the same
Are there any costs to open this dispute?
Thanks
The procedure is free and can be introduced here, it's really easy! https://ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr/

I'm really not sure that it is what resolved my case though, I think it was solved a few days earlier (but I didn't know as they didn't tell me).

Reactions: Scalpos

tafarelli

May 21, 2012
Mine also died.
First, camera couldn't focus on distance. Than, few days later, phone just died. No overheating, nothing... just stopped working. unbelievable. it had few months

Reactions: blackhawk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I have now my second ZF8, because i like it a lot. The first died suddenly in the first 6 months or so, luckely i got refund from the seller after a long email discussion. My secod Zenfone is still working. Its rooted like the first one.
    Today the phone of my girlfriend died, seams like "sudden death" too. She bought it used so no chance of refund, but despite so little chances of help I will try to somehow get in touch with Asus for an explanation and a solution.
    edit:

Good News!!
    Short version: after one month emailing back and foth and arguing with Asus:
    I got refund a free new/repaired ZF8 in exchange to my defect and BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED phone.

long version:
    first of all: I bought the phone for my GF. It was used with a unlocked bootloader and rooted, but younger than 2 years, so theoretical in warranty.
    First I fullfilled RMA formular and send device to Asus.
    In the beginning they declined the phone because "the device is not covered by warranty, because the given issue is a softwareproblem and thus not covered by warranty.
    Then the send my a cost estimate over 528,48€ for repair. Thats hillarious, almost the price of a new phone.
    I send an email and explained the issue while claiming it's a hardware issue. In this email I linked these forums:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/pshs89 https://www.reddit.com/r/zenfone8/comments/pd2ga2
    and told them to read carefully.
    Answer: No warranty, because of unlocked bootloader.
    Me: Unlocked bootloader has nothing to do with hardware issues. Have you read in forums?
    (Meanwhile ignoring emails refering to processing fees and the cost estimate.)
    Asus: Unlocked bootloader, means no warranty. Try to contact your seller and ask him for refund.
    Me: First I don't know how the reseller could help, becaus it's Asus fault. Second I don't care about warranty, fact: the device was faulty immediately after it left the production. I payed for the device, so Asus has to deliver. Maybe you didn't get the issue correctly so please explain it to me:
    Why has my phone died?
    Asus: We will check your issue and we get in touch again.
    Asus: Dear customer, we will offer you a free repair.

Now the repaired or maybe new phone is on the way to me.

Guys stay strong!! Take the time, It's worth it!!

Greetings
    Hi,

A week ago I was using my < 4 months old Zenfone 8 while traveling in Germany, and at 19% battery the screen turned black. I went back home, tried charging it for as long as possible, it was staying cold and never showed any sign of life.

So I opened a RMA on Asus Belgium website (as I am from Belgium), and shipped the phone to their repair center.
    Today, I got an email from them, saying that the warranty wasn't covering the damage, and that I had to pay 500,28€ for a replacement of the motherboard.

When going into their OOW website, I saw this table :
    Warranty start:2021-05-16Warranty end:2023-05-15
    Issue date:2021-09-13Receive date:2021-09-15
    Charge reason:OOWCustomer agree to quotation:
    Charge reason:OOW - Out of warranty ASUS Product Unlock Flag-oow scratched

It seems to me that the "unlock flag" is their bootloader unlock tool, that I had indeed used to root the phone before, and wanted to try a few custom ROM - which I actually never did since there were none at the time. Of course, this is completely unrelated to the issue, as it is not even rooted anymore and I basically did nothing with it.

As I am from the EU, I saw that there are laws that protect consumers from these types of abusive behaviors from companies, as explained here https://piana.eu/root/

I am therefore
    1) looking for people who had this problem with their Zenfone 8 (what is it actually? never seen a brand new phone die like this)
    2) looking for people who had their warranty denied for an unlocked bootloader in the EU, and what is possible to do

Thank you very much for your attention and for your help
    22 dead zf8 so far in the asus forum thread. #asusZF8DeadGate
    Stop supporting companies like ASUS, I stopped purchasing their products from motherboards to routers due to lack of customer support.