General Zenfone 9 experience so far

Search This thread

Nexr0n

Aug 19, 2022
Asus Zenfone 9
Had the Zenfone 9 for a little while and thought I'd share some thoughts. Been using the device for as my main machine for basic work (email, document writing, ssh/remote management, video calling) and personal applications (social media, reading, watching videos, not gaming). Here's been my experience.

Size/Screen
despite people focusing on how compact the phone is it doesn't feel that small in a good way (especially compared to the iPhone mini). Screen size does not interfere with any applications I've used the phone for, even reading which I had some worries about before purchase. The biggest downside of the compact size I ran into was the typing experience, but that becomes much better with a keyboard that has good gesture support and some aggressive autocorrect. Overall it feels great in the hand as someone with large hands.
Visually the screen is sharp, has great viewing angles, and the brightness is good even for outdoor use in direct sunlight. I can't say much for the refresh rate since I keep it on 60 but I will say the DC dimming works a charm even if it's only available on 60 Hz mode. Touch is responsive and i haven't experienced any touch jitters, but the palm rejection is bad enough that I'd call the phone unusable without a case if you tend to hold the phone like I do.

Gesture Controll
As a long-time Oneplus user I do miss the 3 way switch for the ringer, but have found a compromise using the press and hold on the power button as a toggle between modes which has been working well for me. The other smart key functionality of swiping on the power button I've turned off as it's way too easy to accidentally activate when held in the right hand.
The screen off gestures for media control which I enjoyed on Oneplus are here in the Asus but are currently broken, the "ll" pause gesture instead reading out the time and not pausing the video for some reason, when that's fixed at least they are all very responsive.
The back double tap gesture is very inconsistent, I keep it on for the flashlight and haven't had any issues with false activations, but it often takes a few tries to activate.

Battery/Charging
Battery life has been good, getting through a day of heavy use without a problem on 60Hz mode. Charging is fast but does heat up the phone, I've kept mine on ultra steady charge mode which slows down charging to dispel heat and battery longevity issues (around 10W, normal steady charge is around 13W). The charger that came with the device is a C to C charger with a cable that works for data and power.

Performance
I'm not a mobile gamer so I've yet to push the processor in any meaningful way, badly optimized apps that I have had issues with in the past all work smoothly. Video playback/acceleration have been smooth as well as processing large file transfers. Boot up and restart times are very snappy.

Networking/Connectivity
No issues with my Canadian SIM, dual sim works fine. WiFi hasn't had problems with my WiFi 5 and 6 Routers even in dual channel mode which works seamlessly on dual channel networks connecting in both bands. 5G isn't widespread in my area so i haven't had a chance to test it, but 4G+ works as expected. On the physical ports side I have only been able to get USB 2 speeds out of the USB C port for file transfers which isn't really an issue for my use and the headphone jack packs a punch running my DT-770 80 ohms without a problem.

Cameras
They're definitely cameras, I'm not really a camera guy so I wouldn't know what to look for. I haven't had any noticable issues, photos do take a bit longer than my previous phones from pressing the button to the photo being taken but I assume that's because there's a lot more photo processing going on with newer phones. The back lenses do need to be wiped off most of the time since at least for me my fingers tend to naturally rest on them. Front camera also hasn't given me any issues but I'm not a huge fan of the metal ring inside which makes the hole punch more noticeable.

ZenUI
Played around with the launcher a bit before switching off of it, seems like a good relatively stock Android experience with some quality of life improvements. Hasn't given me a reason to switch away from Niagra launcher though (which works great on this device). The pull down menu looks good but could use a bit more in the way of customizability, notifications are a bit intrusive on the smaller screen but the smaller notifications option fixes that pretty well in exchange for needing to pull down the notification shade for quick access. Some other small gripes are that the bar underneath the keyboard is unable to be turned off is quite large relative to the screen height and in the activities view the app icons are above the apps which makes things like locking apps a bit difficult one handed.

Overall
This phone is definitely a purchase I don't regret, all the issues I've had thus far are definitely fixable through updates. I haven't had any of the hardware issues I've heard others mention like rattly volume buttons. Hopefully it does well enough for Asus to consider giving it longer support and the attention it needs to get its minor current issues fixed, or at least well enough to get decent support for third party roms. The price even importing the device from HK to Canada is very competitive for what you get. If there as any benchmarks people want me to run or questions they have about the device I'll keep an eye on the responses. Also if anyone has fixes for the issues mentioned I'm all ears (palm rejection, media control, etc...)

Last edited:

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
Thank you for the nice review.
I'm still waiting for my piece.

I want to ask you, since you are using 3rd launcher, I wonder if you are using gestures or navigation bar?

Reactions: Nexr0n

Nexr0n

Aug 19, 2022
Asus Zenfone 9
Purchased from mi4canada, came quick via DHL from HK and at a good price by Canadian import standards. It's unclear when the device will officially make its way to Canada, the zenfone 8 took a long while.

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021
I'm using gestures, they work well with 3rt party launchers. Can't get rid of the bean at the bottom but it's easy to ignore.
So my hope for Nova Launcher lives on! There was a glitch on all new mobile phones since A11. It only worked like a miracle on a couple of phones. I'm glad that Zenfone is one of them. Another reason for even greater joy.

Reactions: Nexr0n

danielbr14

Apr 26, 2013
no glitch when using "home gesture" ?
Just wanted to add from my experience. I've been using nova launcher prime since I got the phone (over a week ago). And I have noticed that rarley but sometimes when you press the home button or unlock the screen you will get a blank screen showing only the wallpaper and only after you press the home button for a second time will the home screen actually load.
FYI I am using the navigation bar (buttons) and not the gesture one (I just hate the incompatibility with a lot of swipe supported apps e.g. Gmail, Solid Explorer etc ) so take it with a grain of salt if you use gesture you might not encounter this problem.

I have also encountered some other minor bugs but overall I am very pleased with the phone coming from my Galaxy S10.

Nexr0n

Aug 19, 2022
Asus Zenfone 9
Like on other phones when using third-party launchers there is definitely a slight delay (a second or so) when using the home gesture until the launcher becomes responsive and starts accepting input.
Haven't experienced this issue with Niagra after over a week of use now (or on previous phones I've put it on), may be an issue with your launcher. A second delay would be very noticable.

Plasmac

Aug 20, 2022
Cheers for the review - very helpful as am considering getting one.

Looking around at the benchmarks from different reviews, the scores vary quite a bit. It looks like it depends on which performance mode it's in - high performance mode vs dynamic mode, and according to Anandtech the Zenfone 8's performance would also change depending on which refresh rate you had it in. But many reviewers haven't said what mode or refresh rate they've been using.

Could you perhaps run the Jetstream 2.0 benchmark (opens and runs in the website) and/or PCMark Work 3.0 (play store) in dynamic performance mode? In 120hz would be fantastic or in 60hz would still be good either.

It's a bit of pain and would take your time so perfectly understandable if you don't want to, so would like to say thanks for the review anyway!

Nexr0n

Aug 19, 2022
Asus Zenfone 9
@Plasmac
All of these on 120Hz, no performance modes enabled (manually disabled for pcmark which triggered an automatic one)
Jetstream 2: 128.004
Pcmark work 3.0: 16371
Geekbench 5: 1294/4075

Reactions: Plasmac

Plasmac

Aug 20, 2022
@Plasmac
All of these on 120Hz, no performance modes enabled (manually disabled for pcmark which triggered an automatic one)
Jetstream 2: 128.004
Pcmark work 3.0: 16371
Geekbench 5: 1294/4075
Thank you very much for doing all those. It's really appreciated.
The non-performance mode isn't reducing the performance by much at all. That settles it for me then, the Anandtech review of the 8 put me off, but it seems tsmc 4nm has allowed good performance and decent battery life, so the 9 it is.

efkosk

Nov 21, 2021

sunshine sah

Aug 22, 2022
There’s a lot to like about the way the Zenfone 9 looks. The obvious starting place is the size – thanks to using a small 5.9in display this is a small phone by modern standards, and at 169g it’s also impressively lightweight.

At 9.1mm thick it’s not the thinnest phone around, but you’d certainly not call it chunky, and that very slight extra thickness feels irrelevant once you factor in how compact the phone is overall.

https://krnl.run
https://krnl.run

Last edited:
Reactions: tochmi

RestlessScreams

Oct 17, 2012

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Had the Zenfone 9 for a little while and thought I'd share some thoughts. Been using the device for as my main machine for basic work (email, document writing, ssh/remote management, video calling) and personal applications (social media, reading, watching videos, not gaming). Here's been my experience.

Size/Screen
    despite people focusing on how compact the phone is it doesn't feel that small in a good way (especially compared to the iPhone mini). Screen size does not interfere with any applications I've used the phone for, even reading which I had some worries about before purchase. The biggest downside of the compact size I ran into was the typing experience, but that becomes much better with a keyboard that has good gesture support and some aggressive autocorrect. Overall it feels great in the hand as someone with large hands.
    Visually the screen is sharp, has great viewing angles, and the brightness is good even for outdoor use in direct sunlight. I can't say much for the refresh rate since I keep it on 60 but I will say the DC dimming works a charm even if it's only available on 60 Hz mode. Touch is responsive and i haven't experienced any touch jitters, but the palm rejection is bad enough that I'd call the phone unusable without a case if you tend to hold the phone like I do.

Gesture Controll
    As a long-time Oneplus user I do miss the 3 way switch for the ringer, but have found a compromise using the press and hold on the power button as a toggle between modes which has been working well for me. The other smart key functionality of swiping on the power button I've turned off as it's way too easy to accidentally activate when held in the right hand.
    The screen off gestures for media control which I enjoyed on Oneplus are here in the Asus but are currently broken, the "ll" pause gesture instead reading out the time and not pausing the video for some reason, when that's fixed at least they are all very responsive.
    The back double tap gesture is very inconsistent, I keep it on for the flashlight and haven't had any issues with false activations, but it often takes a few tries to activate.

Battery/Charging
    Battery life has been good, getting through a day of heavy use without a problem on 60Hz mode. Charging is fast but does heat up the phone, I've kept mine on ultra steady charge mode which slows down charging to dispel heat and battery longevity issues (around 10W, normal steady charge is around 13W). The charger that came with the device is a C to C charger with a cable that works for data and power.

Performance
    I'm not a mobile gamer so I've yet to push the processor in any meaningful way, badly optimized apps that I have had issues with in the past all work smoothly. Video playback/acceleration have been smooth as well as processing large file transfers. Boot up and restart times are very snappy.

Networking/Connectivity
    No issues with my Canadian SIM, dual sim works fine. WiFi hasn't had problems with my WiFi 5 and 6 Routers even in dual channel mode which works seamlessly on dual channel networks connecting in both bands. 5G isn't widespread in my area so i haven't had a chance to test it, but 4G+ works as expected. On the physical ports side I have only been able to get USB 2 speeds out of the USB C port for file transfers which isn't really an issue for my use and the headphone jack packs a punch running my DT-770 80 ohms without a problem.

Cameras
    They're definitely cameras, I'm not really a camera guy so I wouldn't know what to look for. I haven't had any noticable issues, photos do take a bit longer than my previous phones from pressing the button to the photo being taken but I assume that's because there's a lot more photo processing going on with newer phones. The back lenses do need to be wiped off most of the time since at least for me my fingers tend to naturally rest on them. Front camera also hasn't given me any issues but I'm not a huge fan of the metal ring inside which makes the hole punch more noticeable.

ZenUI
    Played around with the launcher a bit before switching off of it, seems like a good relatively stock Android experience with some quality of life improvements. Hasn't given me a reason to switch away from Niagra launcher though (which works great on this device). The pull down menu looks good but could use a bit more in the way of customizability, notifications are a bit intrusive on the smaller screen but the smaller notifications option fixes that pretty well in exchange for needing to pull down the notification shade for quick access. Some other small gripes are that the bar underneath the keyboard is unable to be turned off is quite large relative to the screen height and in the activities view the app icons are above the apps which makes things like locking apps a bit difficult one handed.

Overall
    This phone is definitely a purchase I don't regret, all the issues I've had thus far are definitely fixable through updates. I haven't had any of the hardware issues I've heard others mention like rattly volume buttons. Hopefully it does well enough for Asus to consider giving it longer support and the attention it needs to get its minor current issues fixed, or at least well enough to get decent support for third party roms. The price even importing the device from HK to Canada is very competitive for what you get. If there as any benchmarks people want me to run or questions they have about the device I'll keep an eye on the responses. Also if anyone has fixes for the issues mentioned I'm all ears (palm rejection, media control, etc...)
    I didnt realized any difference to A12. But im not a power user. Im using tools like cpu manager for step down the cpu, naptime in agressive mode for lots of deep sleep, tasker for deaktivating bluetooth and wlan if not used and screen is of. I have also only these few programs allowed to run in background. My screen time is maybe 3 hours with surfing, email, whatsapp, gaming and instagram. Im using 40-60 percent battery in 24 hours, discharging over night is also the same as on A12. AkkuBattery says a combined consumption of 1,6%/h (screen on 7,7, of 0,8%/h).
    So for me there is no issue.
    Have a nice christmas time!
    oh could you provide any link to A13? Is there any info how to flash it on Asus?

As described in a few other threads, download and put in Home dir. Then reboot.
    This phone is great if you want to listen to a lossless streaming service for two main reasons… it supports up to 24-bit/192KHz from the 3.5mm headphone jack and it has aptX Lossless capability which you can access with NuraTrue Pro earbuds now and soon with Bose QuietComfort Earbuds II (after a firmware update due Spring 2023).

I have the NuraTrue Pro earbuds now and it sounds perfect listening to 16-bit/44.1khz lossless files on Apple Music.

I note however that the DIRAC sound tuning is on permanently just now and ASUS needs to add an off switch. I find that Cinema mode and not Music mode actually sounds the most accurate. Dynamic and Music modes are increasing the bass. That might be to your taste but I want to hear as close to what the artist intended as possible.

The phone also has the hardware to support 6GHz Wi-Fi but support for this does not appear to be present in the system. I’m hoping they fix that soon.
    no glitch when using "home gesture" ?
    The old known bug is sadly also present on this phone using gesture navigation.
    Sadly the standard launcher is no substitute for Nova, so pick the lesser evil