Zenwatch Wifi

Search This thread

rolo305

Jan 12, 2015
Athens,Ga
Does anyone know if we have wifi built in. I've heard people say all the Snapdragon 400 have it built in. I know some will not care about this because it may turn out to being a battery sucking update. But a may be a good update for others.

hecksagon

Dec 15, 2010
Freeport, IL
Does anyone know if we have wifi built in. I've heard people say all the Snapdragon 400 have it built in. I know some will not care about this because it may turn out to being a battery sucking update. But a may be a good update for others.

Wifi is not available on all Snapdragon 400 processors. I am sure they used one that does not have it for costs. Even if it was available the antennas wouldn't be there. Would be nice though.

Vykynn

Nov 20, 2014
Wifi

Great question! I've been trying to find an answer to it since the article ran on Google turning on wifi for android wear devices. Looking at Qualcomm's page on the ZenWatch, they "link" it to a picture of the Snapdragon 400 (bottom of the page) and say that Snapdragon 400 processors support 4G LTE, and when you look at the following picture of the chip at their page for the ZenWatch (I cannot post links yet), you see that the LTE and Wifi share the same space on the chip. However, depending on where you look you see that the Zenwatch is running either the 8026 or 8226, and the 8026 is said to not support wifi. Then, Techtimes says that the Zenwatch, Gear Live, and the Urbane all support Wifi..

The truly odd piece of it is that according to the article on The Verge- "Most Android Wear watches already have Wi-Fi built in, so a simple software update should activate the feature for them." (I cant post links yet). The only watch that I can see that actually supports it is the Sony 3. Most of the other watches seem to share the Qualcomm 400 chipset, but I doubt anybody will know which actually supports wifi until Google "turns" it on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Zenwatch will though!!

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
With this not having wifi (admittedly not an advertised feature), the poor looking ambient display, and being locked down completely, I am starting to get buyers remorse.

I disagree. Not to go off-topic, but I feel like I'm getting a decent amount of utility for the $200 I spent. The appearance is great (and I get lots of compliments on it) and the battery life is good enough. I'm not really sure the wifi feature is going to be that useful. Don't we all keep our phones in our pockets 24x7 anyway?

I am looking forward to being able to draw text message responses. It sounds dumb, but if you're in a loud place (and can't use the voice actions) being able to quickly draw an "okay" or "no" response is going to be great.

10amla

May 2, 2013
Glendale
I'm happy with the Zen watch; I only have found a few issues, one being the BT range is just a little too short. WiFi would have helped with that, but I'm still very happy with it.

ALpHaMoNk

Jul 20, 2012
Looks like there won´t be Wifi for us... :crying:

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/21/lg-g-watch-missing-wifi/

So you got the update already?
yes just checked the app on my phone and it said update so I did, turned on the wifi cloud sync and surely it didn't work.

With this not having wifi (admittedly not an advertised feature), the poor looking ambient display, and being locked down completely, I am starting to get buyers remorse.
I felt the same way, wifi wasn't advertise but neither was it few a other phones but was still activated when updated. I felt a bit inferior when it didn't work for me and saw that it works for just about every other watch. yes my phone is in my pocket most of the time but I work IT in a hospital and sometimes I forget my phone at my desk and on the charger and my watch is disconnected, I was looking forward to still having connection. :(

I did pick up this watch over all others due to the look mostly, it was the best looking watch hands down without looking too geeky.

wifi - atleast 24hr battery life without having to dumb it down, and edge to edge screen (not so much bezel) would have made the watch perfect for me. oh and heart rate sensor on the back and not the two finger on the edge bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: btonetbone

hecksagon

Dec 15, 2010
Freeport, IL
Personally I wish they would have just eliminated the heart rate feature. None of the heart rate monitors on the wear watches are that accurate, and the cost savings on this model in particular could have been used to implement a wifi antenna. Unfortunately everybody is on the wellness device hype train.

kellybrf

Nov 16, 2007
Correct, the watches need the firmware update which hasn't started yet. Given that its only one site reporting I think wed be best advised to see what happens when the update comes

Reactions: synapses

DisPear

Apr 28, 2015
There is an antenna!

Bluetooth and wifi can share the same antenna!!! Most smartphones and tablets do. Looked at the internals of the s3-s5 and some other devices and they seemingly share the same antenna. That's my understanding anyway. Because the wifi and bluetooth are on the same chip, something in the hardware allows the two to coexist on the same antenna. They operate in the same frequency range so I imagine it does some switching in the hardware.

If our watches don't get Wifi, I really don't believe it's a hardware limitation. I wish there was a tear down for the zenwatch, as I've seen it for every other watch. I'm not brave enough to take mine apart.

Someone fact check! Hope I'm not wrong :(

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

I've read that the urbane has an Snapdragon 8026 and mostly the same innards as the G Watch R. If its getting WiFi then surely other watches using the same processor will be supported.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wifi

Great question! I've been trying to find an answer to it since the article ran on Google turning on wifi for android wear devices. Looking at Qualcomm's page on the ZenWatch, they "link" it to a picture of the Snapdragon 400 (bottom of the page) and say that Snapdragon 400 processors support 4G LTE, and when you look at the following picture of the chip at their page for the ZenWatch (I cannot post links yet), you see that the LTE and Wifi share the same space on the chip. However, depending on where you look you see that the Zenwatch is running either the 8026 or 8226, and the 8026 is said to not support wifi. Then, Techtimes says that the Zenwatch, Gear Live, and the Urbane all support Wifi..

The truly odd piece of it is that according to the article on The Verge- "Most Android Wear watches already have Wi-Fi built in, so a simple software update should activate the feature for them." (I cant post links yet). The only watch that I can see that actually supports it is the Sony 3. Most of the other watches seem to share the Qualcomm 400 chipset, but I doubt anybody will know which actually supports wifi until Google "turns" it on. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the Zenwatch will though!!
    WiFi would be nice having around the house, no I do not carry my phone around the house. It stays on my desk.
    This may be of interest:
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/3...-gesture-control-and-wi-fi-support-report.htm

"Many smartwatches running on Android Wear, including the Samsung Gear Live, the Asus ZenWatch, and the LG Watch Urbane, are powered by a Snapdragon chip that has a built-in Wi-Fi module, so a simple firmware update should immediately activate Wi-Fi in these devices."
    Looks like there won´t be Wifi for us... :crying:

http://phandroid.com/2015/04/21/lg-g-watch-missing-wifi/

So you got the update already?
    yes just checked the app on my phone and it said update so I did, turned on the wifi cloud sync and surely it didn't work.

I felt the same way, wifi wasn't advertise but neither was it few a other phones but was still activated when updated. I felt a bit inferior when it didn't work for me and saw that it works for just about every other watch. yes my phone is in my pocket most of the time but I work IT in a hospital and sometimes I forget my phone at my desk and on the charger and my watch is disconnected, I was looking forward to still having connection. :(

I did pick up this watch over all others due to the look mostly, it was the best looking watch hands down without looking too geeky.

wifi - atleast 24hr battery life without having to dumb it down, and edge to edge screen (not so much bezel) would have made the watch perfect for me. oh and heart rate sensor on the back and not the two finger on the edge bit.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone