Question ZF9 - I love it so far, but...

Search This thread

gnayug

Sep 19, 2012
Taipei
First time I got a phone right after launch. My OnePlus 3T, whom I still dearly love, has started to give up on crucial tasks so I had to look around for a new phone after 5+ years.
After pinning the OnePlus 10 Pro against the Pixel 6 Pro and spending way too much time debating whose weaknesses would be more tolerable, I discovered the Zenfone 9.

Been using it for a few days now and loving it so far. Cameras are Pixel-like (haven't tried any GCams yet, that should make them even better), battery life is amazing, software is clean (RIP OxygenOS), speakers are quite good, charging speed is decent enough. I thought I'd lost the three-finger snapshot and double power tap for opening apps, but both are present in this phone as well.

Only the double tap on the back to open an app is wildly inconsistent and frustrating to use. Is that just me?
Besides that, everything's looking swell so far. Excited to see what the community will come up with for this one, especially after two years when the software updates are supposed to stop coming.

Cheers!

First time I got a phone right after launch. My OnePlus 3T, whom I still dearly love, has started to give up on crucial tasks so I had to look around for a new phone after 5+ years.
After pinning the OnePlus 10 Pro against the Pixel 6 Pro and spending way too much time debating whose weaknesses would be more tolerable, I discovered the Zenfone 9.

Been using it for a few days now and loving it so far. Cameras are Pixel-like (haven't tried any GCams yet, that should make them even better), battery life is amazing, software is clean (RIP OxygenOS), speakers are quite good, charging speed is decent enough. I thought I'd lost the three-finger snapshot and double power tap for opening apps, but both are present in this phone as well.

Only the double tap on the back to open an app is wildly inconsistent and frustrating to use. Is that just me?
Besides that, everything's looking swell so far. Excited to see what the community will come up with for this one, especially after two years when the software updates are supposed to stop coming.

Cheers!
Confirm the inconsistent back double tap and also the good things. I Love the form factor (coming from an iPhone 13 mini).

Aqryllic

Jul 19, 2016

Cheers!
Yeah, I've also noticed the inconsistent back double-tap feature. It seems to register more often when the phone is unlocked, perhaps due to power-saving features. You could instead use the double-click on the power button to open the app you want it to.

Also, does anyone have a loose volume rocker? Mine rattles when shaking the phone around or when it vibrates on the table.

gnayug

Sep 19, 2012
Taipei
Yeah, I've also noticed the inconsistent back double-tap feature. It seems to register more often when the phone is unlocked, perhaps due to power-saving features. You could instead use the double-click on the power button to open the app you want it to.

Also, does anyone have a loose volume rocker? Mine rattles when shaking the phone around or when it vibrates on the table.
Oh damn. Didn't notice until you mentioned it. Hopefully it won't become an issue further down the line.

I think the double tap on the back is intentionally set to only register when the phone is unlocked. Otherwise there'd be too many accidental triggers.

Maxgrey

Aug 17, 2022
Thank you for that mate. Appreciated.
Did you guys get the global or UK edition? I'm in the UK and just ordered the 16/256 version in black. But people are selling the global edition which comes with various ram amounts in 8-12-16 which gives people the option. Is the global made elsewhere to the UK version, does anyone know?

mzsquared

Feb 22, 2018
CT

Cheers!

Have you noticed any overheating issues while charging, video recording etc...?
How is the Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 performance overall? Geekbench 5 score?
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Cheers!
    Battery life is very good, best i ever had in a smaller phone. Getting 10 hours screen on
    Did you try usb transfers?, is it usb 2 or 3 speed?
    It's unfortunately only USB 2.0 (just tested myself using a usb 3.1 cable).
    Battery life is insane on the Zenfone 9, getting 10+ h sot on wifi and 8-9 h on 4G (dual sim)
    How are the haptic feedbacks? Good quality? Sharp?
    I really like it. Not too harsh, not too sluggish. I normally turn it off, but this phone made me reconsider.