• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

ZMax Pro (Z981) Free TWRP & ROOT Method

Search This thread

joe zack

Dec 14, 2008
so what is the PURPOSE rooting ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i did already root z981 t-mobile ,
6.0.1 build number TMO_Z981V1.0.0B14
THERE IS NO WAY TO UNLOCK IT VIA ANY BOX?

netaylor

Oct 15, 2009
I got a bootloop after using this proces on z981 mpcs. Cant find stock rom or stock recovery, your help will bemucb appreciated

Za Doctor

Jun 5, 2014
Dale
Can someone give me a stock twrp backup of the metropcs please because i had to reset and i forgot about it also affecting the oem unlock gets switched off

netaylor

Oct 15, 2009
I got a bootloop after using this proces on z981 mpcs. Cant find stock rom or stock recovery, your help will bemucb appreciated
Finally I solved it. Thanks

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

Can someone give me a stock twrp backup of the metropcs please because i had to reset and i forgot about it also affecting the oem unlock gets switched off

Use mine, https://mega.nz/#!MSAGgSSA!Hn3EVlQbAiJiAdj73Tx7FfjIADnhoKyiFgt161UeD3w
password= opensourceKE

Reactions: kajex

jayram1408

Mar 25, 2012
Denver
Ok so I read what I thought was going to be guide on rooting the ZTE Z981. As I read thru this thread I see accusations of malware, several different conflicting answers if this even works. I see people wanting you to go to different websites. My question is this? Where were the moderators when all this was going on? This is a thread about rooting Z981, and it got way out of hand. It should have been stopped way before it got to 4 pages of stuff not related to actually rooting this phone but some personal problems between two members. So can a moderator post if this is a "good working root" and if the downloads are ok? Maybe start a new thread that is purley instructional for the root with the download as a single file and the instructions without all the fighting please? This is one of the more confusing threads on XDA.

Last edited:

jayram1408

Mar 25, 2012
Denver
{Mod edit: Quoted post removed}

Thanks for clearing that up. I reread thru it again and it is still the most confusing threads on XDA. I think you should poll if this is the case. LOL Thanks though for your hardwork and dedication even in the face of adversity.

Last edited by a moderator:

CGPearl4496

May 19, 2018
Maybe one day I will buy myself a second Zmax Pro then root it, get rid of the useless bloat including a "Updater" app and maybe start ROM development

Sent from my ZTE Zmax Pro using XDA Labs

Jul 13, 2019
Thanks for clearing that up. I reread thru it again and it is still the most confusing threads on XDA. I think you should poll if this is the case. LOL Thanks though for your hardwork and dedication even in the face of adversity.[/QUO:confused:TE]

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

Thanks for clearing that up. I reread thru it again and it is still the most confusing threads on XDA. I think you should poll if this is the case. LOL Thanks though for your hardwork and dedication even in the face of adversity.[/QUO:confused:TE]
SSH File

Jul 13, 2019

---------- Post added at 03:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 AM ----------

I got to call bull on your root method.it does not root.you don't give specific details. I code and program.and I can't seem to crack into the Linux enforced sure you can say all you want. I'm a developer and let me know how that works out.im busting on you because I don't like guys like you that think they know everything.and I keep it ?

Jul 13, 2019
I told you ..you would get malware. What kind of bull is that 6.o platform for some reason is a tuff nut selinux enforced was a security program that is installed under 5.o platform it hides in the same partition

PowerUser64

Jul 3, 2019
Is there any chance I can get the t-mobile ROM in the form of a zip or a TWRP backup for this device (Z981)? I need it really badly because I messed up my device.

user-747

Apr 27, 2014
{Mod edit: Quoted post removed}

I see there is a lot of discussion about rooting z981.

Is there a way to install TWRP on z981 to begin with? My zte would not go into the download mode, only FTM and some basic mode that does not support ABD..

how do you guys install TWRP without a bootloader unlocked?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

user-747

Apr 27, 2014
This guide (linked below) walks you through the whole process (including installing TWRP). There is no download mode, only a secret bootloader mode that can be used by a piece of software to flash the device. Hope this helps!
https://androidforums.com/threads/new-root-method-for-z981-zmax-pro.1284305/

Thanks for the link! I will give it a try this weekend and update on the progress.

What do you think is the best all-go-around ROM for ZTE Zmax Pro is?

======
update 2020-02-23
======
I followed the instructions and all worked like a charm.
Couple comments:
1) The Qualcomm drivers that were needed by the tool appear to have self installed out of ZTE drivers that installed from the phone by connecting it to the PC and choosing 'Install ZTE drivers'. Rebooted my pc after install.
2) TWRP miraculously got installed while in the EDL mode. (adb reboot edl). What is this EDL mode? Anyone knows? There was zero effort on my end to install TWRP ie all installed automatically.
3) I did not flash magisk or update any init.d files, since I am planning to flash a custom ROM.
So after all of this, I am having TWRP and MetroPCS Marshmallow 6.0.1. All seems to work.

My next step would be to install custom ROM for Z981

Thanks a million for help, @PowerUser64!!

Last edited:

PowerUser64

Jul 3, 2019
Lineage OS is what I would recommend. The only two issues I have found with it are that one, the screen timeout time seems to be unadjustable and locked at 10 seconds (might be specific to my device), and that the video mode in the camera does not work.

user-747

Apr 27, 2014
Lineage OS is what I would recommend. The only two issues I have found with it are that one, the screen timeout time seems to be unadjustable and locked at 10 seconds (might be specific to my device), and that the video mode in the camera does not work.

Thanks! I will try LineageOS. are you referring to LOS 14.1?

one more question...
... I actually already tried to install couple ROMS with mixed success.
I installed AOSPEx 9 by ArmanoPartida and and things were smooth except camera and flashlight did not work
Then I tried to restore back to my MetroPCS image via TWRP and it would get stuck at boot animation up until I gave up
Then I installed RR 7.1.2 and it would also get stuck at the boot animation, then I gave up as well
Then I installed AOSPEx 9 by ArmanoPartida and OS loaded, but again, no camera and no flashlight

Do you know by any chance how to get past this boot animation hangup? Given that not all hardware features are present in custom ROMs, I think I would like to revert back to stock MetroPCS rom or at least have the capability to do so.

UPDATE:
I am answering my own question as I found a great resource:
Check out this youtube video. the guy explains it all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwSjOvp74Dk&t=81s

Last edited:
Moderator Announcement:

I've cleaned the thread from links to discord or other phone related sites and other off-topic posts. This is not a development thread, and we only allow a developer to post a link to social media in the OP of his development thread. Do not attempt to drag members to social media!

XDA Forum Rules (excerpt):
5. Create a thread topic or post a message only once, this includes external links & streaming media.
As a large forum, we don't need unnecessary clutter. You're free to edit your message as you like, so if you do not receive an answer, revisit your message and see if you can describe your problem better. Not everyone is online at the same time so it might take a while before you receive an answer.

• You can bump your unanswered question once every 24 hours
  • Duplicate threads and posts will be removed
  • Always post in an existing thread if a topic already exists, before creating a new thread.
  • Use our search function to find the best forum for your device.
  • Links to an external source are only allowed if relevant to the topic in hand. A description must be included, no copy & pasting from the original source.
  • Self-promotion is forbidden, this includes blogs, social media and video channels etc. Random links will be removed.

(...)

11. Don’t post with the intention of selling something.

• Don’t use XDA to advertise your product or service. Proprietors of for-pay products or services, may use XDA to get feedback, provide beta access, or a free version of their product for XDA users and to offer support, but not to post with the intention of selling. This includes promoting sites similar / substantially similar to XDA-Developers.com.
  • Do not post press releases, announcements, links to trial software or commercial services, unless you’re posting an exclusive release for XDA-Developers.com.
  • Encouraging members to participate in forum activities on other phone related sites is prohibited.
  • Off-site downloads are permitted if the site is non-commercial and does not require registration.
  • Off-site downloads from sites requiring registration are NOT encouraged but may be permitted if both of the following conditions are met:
  • A) The site belongs to a member of XDA-Developers with at least 1500 posts and 2 years membership, who actively maintains an XDA-Developers support thread(s) / posts, related to the download.
  • B) The site is a relatively small, personal website without commercial advertising / links (i.e. not a competitor forum-based site with purposes and aims similar to those of XDA-Developers.com.)
Thanks very much for listening and your cooperation!
Stay safe and stay healthy!
Regards
Oswald Boelcke
Forum Moderator

cvmg333

Sep 20, 2016
Santa Ana
Hello everyone, i received this phone, a couple days ago, had been following the guide sugested at androidforum, a couple messages above, but every atempt ends with the same error: (sahara rx data 237 unable to read packet header), this situation has become a bit frustrating, have been investigating the error details all over the web, with no success at all, phone is recognized in adb devices at console in windows, adb reboot edl works ok, and recognizable at that state, in QFIL.exe, as per the guide.
To me seems to be an error with the .bin programmer file, but everyone how follows the guide has been succesful at that step. Can someone help me with this, only interested in rooting the oem android. Thank you.

Update:
After all windows 10 was the culprit, i try the procedure in a win7 laptop and everything was as expected.
Now to root the phone.
Sin título2.jpg

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE (08/18/2018):

UNI no longer needed. The Z981 Firehose/Programmer has been retrieved & new instructions & files will be release soon. Come to Discord if u want to see how this sausage is being made. Everything is public. No one should pay for anything.

Join our discord {Mod edit} (Everybody is welcome).

We will need ROM/Kernel/Program makers. So please join Discord to help out. Nougat is also on its last bugs. And Oreo is booting. So there are a lot of great news for the Z981.

New thread will be started here on XDA with file links & instructions when ready.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

We have working TWRP and Root for the Zmax Pro. We are almost ready to let users beta test.

Join our discord {Mod edit} (Everybody is welcome).

If you would like to be a tester before full root is launched/achieved. Or you can just keep up on the progress that is being made.

Although the TWRP installation is done thru a paid app. We plan to share free access to this method of installation. And we advice that no one purchase said paid app for the purpose of rooting your Z981. But if you already own said app. Or purchase it in order to share with others. Please contact us for a safe method of sharing access for the purpose of TWRP installation & rooting Z981's.

We need advance knowledgeable folks to come help us in getting the firehose extracted from the paid app. And also to help us try to target the bootloader & to develop SafeStrap in the mean time. Come on over. We got our fingers in many pies.

All credit goes to Armando for his awesome TWRP & Messi for testing the UNI method of root thru the paid app. And for those that where/or will be willing to share access to the paid app for free.

08/18/18 - UNI no longer needed.
    04/28/18 - Updated Discord link.
    Ok so I read what I thought was going to be guide on rooting the ZTE Z981. As I read thru this thread I see accusations of malware, several different conflicting answers if this even works. I see people wanting you to go to different websites. My question is this? Where were the moderators when all this was going on? This is a thread about rooting Z981, and it got way out of hand. It should have been stopped way before it got to 4 pages of stuff not related to actually rooting this phone but some personal problems between two members. So can a moderator post if this is a "good working root" and if the downloads are ok? Maybe start a new thread that is purley instructional for the root with the download as a single file and the instructions without all the fighting please? This is one of the more confusing threads on XDA.
    Y314K's method root works
    It is not my root method. The method was first posted by Messi2050.

What is our method is the lend & walk-thru options that our Discord group provides. So folks don't have to spend a penny on root. Which we believe should always be free. And our release of updated/latest TWRP & a Debloated Discord v1.1 ROM (Based on MPCS B21) are something we are proud off.

And pretty soon, once some major bugs are worked out there should be Nougat flavors of Linage OS & Resurrection Remix & other Nougat ROMs available for the Z981. And eventually there should be Oreo ROMs too.
    Discord link is invalid. Also, what can I do to help? My Z981 currently sits on a shelf serving no purpose. Would love to regain life from it.
    Wow! Just when I had given up hope on seeing mine rooted!

I still use this phone as my primary. In fact, I have three of them. I'd be willing to help with testing and such, just let me know!

I even have one dedicated for my guinea pig phone, so it works out!