• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

ZTE N817 - Cannot root ?

Search This thread

hightech316

Jan 27, 2011
github.com
Just received a ZTE N817 ( ZTE Quest ) running KitKat 4.4.4 . I have tried most rooting methods, with no success.

Framaroot, Kingroot, iroot, 360 root, root genius and a few others, with no luck :rolleyes: I've rooted dozens of phones with little to no problems...But this one is being tricky.

Has anyone successfully rooted their ZTE Quest ( ZTE N817 ) running 4.4.4

Reactions: highhacker

CrazzyGamma

Mar 30, 2017
ZTE N817 Rooting

Just received a ZTE N817 ( ZTE Quest ) running KitKat 4.4.4 . I have tried most rooting methods, with no success.

Framaroot, Kingroot, iroot, 360 root, root genius and a few others, with no luck :rolleyes: I've rooted dozens of phones with little to no problems...But this one is being tricky.

Has anyone successfully rooted their ZTE Quest ( ZTE N817 ) running 4.4.4[/QUOTE
yes i tried all the suggestions and finely got it with KINGOROOT for PC. it too twice the first time it failed the second it rooted. i used windows 7

see i rooted my zte n817 using just kingoroot and when i rebooted the phone the root was gone but when using the bat file i found online running beside kingoroot and i was able to fully root it and when i rebooted the phone the root was still there even when i factory reset the phone the root was still there

and the firmware i am on is kitkat 4.4.4

Last edited:

morpheous1777

May 7, 2017
Warrenton
worked for me also, but i messed it up afterwards, lol, ran just fine or over a month, does anyone have a stock backup or rooted back up i can use? all i got right now is stock recovery, phone just boot loops back into recovery. i can get to download mode and phone is recognized as QHSUSB_BULK (basically bricked !!) or ZTE WCDMA MSM. so ii got a few things im gonna try to restore it.

elk1007

Apr 19, 2013
worked for me also, but i messed it up afterwards, lol, ran just fine or over a month, does anyone have a stock backup or rooted back up i can use? all i got right now is stock recovery, phone just boot loops back into recovery. i can get to download mode and phone is recognized as QHSUSB_BULK (basically bricked !!) or ZTE WCDMA MSM. so ii got a few things im gonna try to restore it.

I'm in the same boat.

I rooted the phone, but after it pushed an updated (Google Security Patch), the phone will only bootloop into the stock recovery.

With no available ZTE stock rom or ZTE firmware tool, I'm not sure what to do.

equitube

Feb 27, 2014
OnaHill
OK

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

I'm in the same boat.

I rooted the phone, but after it pushed an updated (Google Security Patch), the phone will only bootloop into the stock recovery.

With no available ZTE stock rom or ZTE firmware tool, I'm not sure what to do.

Never install those security updates if you want to do anything with root. Did you do an online nandroid backup?

Last edited:

equitube

Feb 27, 2014
OnaHill
I didn't.

I think the only fix is a full stock firmware flasher.

Well I did it. I managed to unbrick the ZTE. the phone finally stayed up long enough that I was able to go into the app menu and disable the king user app. I then deleted it with 3C Toolbox. Then I was able to update the binary on the SuperSU app and it works fine now.

Yet another reason never to use the kingroot app for anything by them. It's all just malware.

whodisname

Feb 14, 2012
destrehan
I used this method to boot.
Then used kingoroot to root.
Profit
*I accidentally deleted a root file I shouldn't have and bricked it. No firmware available nor recovories.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using XDA-Developers Legacy app

---------- Post added at 07:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Originally Posted by fcknstar

this boots the phone into a weakened state
and then you can root it! I'm so excited!!!
I meant this one ;)

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 PM ----------

Dammmitt, post #9.

RebelLion_

Nov 1, 2017
Moto E4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
1. run kingoroot ( pc )

2. start the root process

3. as soon as it finishes rooting run the bat file located in [ SubHumans [ SU ] and BusyBox Pusher ] folder

4. it will reboot then restart your phone

5. your phone should now be fully rooted

the zip file [ KingoRoot + Bat File + Read Me Included in Zip ]

private message me to get the download link knowing i cant post outside links knowing i'm a new user

DL link please? Having trouble with this little bastard

Reactions: cwayne985

WowTheDog

Jun 29, 2015
Duluth, MN
fb.com
Still can't root,, tried it all...

Its funny, because I actually USED to have root access with my N817 for many months, until I don't know what inspired me to factory reset it.... I clearly recall using KingRoot v.5.2.0 or about to root it, and I think I remember having to use ADB to reboot it into a more permissive mode, with that adb reboot disemmcwp command... but i'm not really certain anymore, because NOW, I haven't been able to get root all day, using every method posted on this board. I'm a little upset right now, I'ts realy frustrating, but I'm alright. Just when I heard about TWRP for the ZTE Quest, I was totally enthralled, I had to get it.... But I'm really wondering what the **** i need to do to get ****ing ROOT at this point, cause nothing ****in works.

any ideas would be most helpful

deafasheck

Oct 16, 2014
Its funny, because I actually USED to have root access with my N817 for many months, until I don't know what inspired me to factory reset it.... I clearly recall using KingRoot v.5.2.0 or about to root it, and I think I remember having to use ADB to reboot it into a more permissive mode, with that adb reboot disemmcwp command... but i'm not really certain anymore, because NOW, I haven't been able to get root all day, using every method posted on this board. I'm a little upset right now, I'ts realy frustrating, but I'm alright. Just when I heard about TWRP for the ZTE Quest, I was totally enthralled, I had to get it.... But I'm really wondering what the **** i need to do to get ****ing ROOT at this point, cause nothing ****in works.

any ideas would be most helpful

I've not been able to get root in either process or command, I didn't keep error codes, I just gave up, then I seen your post, glad I did.. with my luck I'd screwed up....
dont know why the App or the PC methods wont work though? it gets 90-93% then zip....

RebelLion_

Nov 1, 2017
Moto E4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
I found this from another thread if anyone is still having trouble. Haven't tried it yet but nothing will work with my n817 in any mode so I will give this is a shot later on tonight. Thx to tonsdog

"If anyone is having trouble rooting I used the dirtycow method. Nothing else worked. If you google it the zip package is exploit_adb the password should be nox
You push the files to data local tmp then run the exploit.sh and it'll give root access. From there you can dd the recovery"

https://forum.xda-developers.com/an...-quest-n817-locked-bootloader-t3587174/page10

Last edited:

EqUalIzEr42

Mar 26, 2016
Thank you fcknstar

Thanks for that info, I was able to root but, now I tried to flash all kinds of TWRP to recovery, so I am unsure of what exists in recovery now. I am totally screwed now, I decided to Reset to Factory and when it rebooted it was soft-bricked. I am now stuck in a recovery that is a blank white screen, or I can get it to FTM mode. Now I need somebodies stock firmware so I can use QFIL to flash it in Download mode or whichever mode I may need to be in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this works!!! - weird mode you reboot into and it's weak

This is not mine,I just searched found,and try a LOT of things. But this is the onlything that worked....

Thanks fcknstar!:good:

Step 1: DOWNLOAD

ADB Drivers - http://adbdriver.com/

ADB Shell (guide and download) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48915118

kingo root - https://www.kingoapp.com/android-root/download.htm

Step 2: Command Prompt with ADB

run the CMD with admistrator privileges and use the following commands -

adb devices

[hit enter]

adb reboot disemmcwp

[Your device will now reboot with some extra write permissions]

install and run KINGO ROOT! (Yes, it's kingO root, not King) on your pc.

SHAABAAMMMM!!!!

Now we need a custom recovery for it!

PS: o/! Dont try link2sd , because it #$&*#&(*@^*$ your apks, and you can't find it in the 2nd partition.

Holy crap, that worked!!

Thank you, @fcknstar!
    You are welcome guys!

Hu3hueBR ?

I was able to finally root my ZTE Quest N817 with Kingo Root. I wouldn't root from the normal booted Homescreen.

I F'ed with a few different ways and Modes. Normal boot - FTM mode and Bootloader mode

But I member it finally rooting successfully, I ended up being in FTM mode. When I rebooted the phone. Kingo Roots Superuser popped up and asked me if I wanted to allow permission.