• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

ZTE N817 - Cannot root ?

Search This thread

hightech316

Jan 27, 2011
github.com
Just received a ZTE N817 ( ZTE Quest ) running KitKat 4.4.4 . I have tried most rooting methods, with no success.

Framaroot, Kingroot, iroot, 360 root, root genius and a few others, with no luck :rolleyes: I've rooted dozens of phones with little to no problems...But this one is being tricky.

Has anyone successfully rooted their ZTE Quest ( ZTE N817 ) running 4.4.4

Reactions: highhacker

tnomtlaw

Oct 26, 2013
Nvidia Shield TV & TV Pro (2019)
Thanks for that info, I was able to root but, now I tried to flash all kinds of TWRP to recovery, so I am unsure of what exists in recovery now. I am totally screwed now, I decided to Reset to Factory and when it rebooted it was soft-brickchildrened. I am now stuck in a recovery that is a blank white screen, or I can get it to FTM mode. Now I need somebodies stock firmware so I can use QFIL to flash it in Download mode or whichever mode I may need to be in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.?

I am in the exact same position.Is there any one who can help???

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

RebelLion_

Nov 1, 2017
Moto E4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Thanks for that info, I was able to root but, now I tried to flash all kinds of TWRP to recovery, so I am unsure of what exists in recovery now. I am totally screwed now, I decided to Reset to Factory and when it rebooted it was soft-brickchildrened. I am now stuck in a recovery that is a blank white screen, or I can get it to FTM mode. Now I need somebodies stock firmware so I can use QFIL to flash it in Download mode or whichever mode I may need to be in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.?

I am in the exact same position.Is there any one who can help???

How exactly did you get root? I tried the kingoroot with adb command and no success. I got my phone this year so it has the most recent security patches and firmware available for it I'm pretty sure

Sent from my ZTE N817 using XDA Labs

robbkm3rfrttttt

Dec 31, 2017
How are you? May I have the link to download please. Thanks.

1. run kingoroot ( pc )

2. start the root process

3. as soon as it finishes rooting run the bat file located in [ SubHumans [ SU ] and BusyBox Pusher ] folder

4. it will reboot then restart your phone

5. your phone should now be fully rooted

the zip file [ KingoRoot + Bat File + Read Me Included in Zip ]

private message me to get the download link knowing i cant post outside links knowing i'm a new user

Thanks. Happy new year.

robbkm3rfrttttt

Dec 31, 2017
Kingo Android Root Version: 1.4.9

How are you? I would like to know if you still have the version of kingroot. Thanks.

The wellington is a tough one.
I just got success again after 4 months.
originally I used iroot and achieved success. It lasted for about 30 min. until I accidentally deleted the rommastersu app. I didnt want it but didnt know I would loose root by deleting it.

This time I did the adb reboot disemmcwp then ran the OLDER VERSION OF KINGO ROOT. The newer versions didnt work for me.
The version I used wAS................. Kingo Android Root Version: 1.4.9 and only download from kingoapp.com the rest of the other places apps were loaded with add-on garabage that you cant opt out of.

RebelLion_

Nov 1, 2017
Moto E4
OnePlus Nord N10 5G
Go to Settings >> About phone, and check your SW Version. If it's N817V1.0.0B13 then you have the 2017-09-01 security patch and root is not possible for now.

If it's not B13, then any version of Kingo should work. It downloads its strategies from Root Genius cloud servers. You MUST do "adb reboot disemmcwp" first!

This is for those struggling with root. This is the case with my phone, however I am wondering if there is a possible downgrade to be able to root? Or this kernel might be too restrictive for that route. Just offering some more insight

Sent from my ZTE N817 using XDA Labs

hushster

Feb 19, 2018
If you please help I'll love you forever

Please help, I've tried all of the one click solutions and none of them worked... A few of them even included malware

I follow all these steps but then it tells me **failed to start daemon **

facerturbo

Apr 1, 2018
Roy
how

I was able to finally root my ZTE Quest N817 with Kingo Root. I wouldn't root from the normal booted Homescreen.

I F'ed with a few different ways and Modes. Normal boot - FTM mode and Bootloader mode

But I member it finally rooting successfully, I ended up being in FTM mode. When I rebooted the phone. Kingo Roots Superuser popped up and asked me if I wanted to allow permission.

How did you get it into bootloader mode???

facerturbo

Apr 1, 2018
Roy
The wellington is a tough one.
I just got success again after 4 months.
originally I used iroot and achieved success. It lasted for about 30 min. until I accidentally deleted the rommastersu app. I didnt want it but didnt know I would loose root by deleting it.

This time I did the adb reboot disemmcwp then ran the OLDER VERSION OF KINGO ROOT. The newer versions didnt work for me.
The version I used wAS................. Kingo Android Root Version: 1.4.9 and only download from kingoapp.com the rest of the other places apps were loaded with add-on garabage that you cant opt out of.

how to find the earlier versions (like the one you listed)????

---------- Post added at 02:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 AM ----------

link sent to you in private message

l link please???

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    this works!!! - weird mode you reboot into and it's weak

This is not mine,I just searched found,and try a LOT of things. But this is the onlything that worked....

Thanks fcknstar!:good:

Originally Posted by fcknstar

Step 1: DOWNLOAD

ADB Drivers - http://adbdriver.com/

ADB Shell (guide and download) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=48915118

kingo root - https://www.kingoapp.com/android-root/download.htm

Step 2: Command Prompt with ADB

run the CMD with admistrator privileges and use the following commands -

adb devices

[hit enter]

adb reboot disemmcwp

[Your device will now reboot with some extra write permissions]

install and run KINGO ROOT! (Yes, it's kingO root, not King) on your pc.

SHAABAAMMMM!!!!

Now we need a custom recovery for it!

PS: o/! Dont try link2sd , because it #$&*#&(*@^*$ your apks, and you can't find it in the 2nd partition.

this boots the phone into a weakened state
    and then you can root it! I'm so excited!!!
    Holy crap, that worked!!

Thank you, @fcknstar!
    You are welcome guys!

Hu3hueBR ?
    Just received a ZTE N817 ( ZTE Quest ) running KitKat 4.4.4 . I have tried most rooting methods, with no success.

Framaroot, Kingroot, iroot, 360 root, root genius and a few others, with no luck :rolleyes: I've rooted dozens of phones with little to no problems...But this one is being tricky.

I was able to finally root my ZTE Quest N817 with Kingo Root. I wouldn't root from the normal booted Homescreen.

I F'ed with a few different ways and Modes. Normal boot - FTM mode and Bootloader mode

But I member it finally rooting successfully, I ended up being in FTM mode. When I rebooted the phone. Kingo Roots Superuser popped up and asked me if I wanted to allow permission.