ZTE U950 - Root, Recovery, ROM (& Google Play)

Search This thread

raoyasir

Jan 29, 2013
No Sim Card.| No service

:crying: Hello All,
I am having this issue for the last 3 days. I have formatted my phone. Done everything possible I know. But no luck. Sometime the sim is detected but after sometime the pop up appear saying restart fone with a SIM.
Note: SIM is working fine in other handset. So no problem with the SIM card.

linkinorton

Nov 13, 2011
:crying: Hello All,
I am having this issue for the last 3 days. I have formatted my phone. Done everything possible I know. But no luck. Sometime the sim is detected but after sometime the pop up appear saying restart fone with a SIM.
Note: SIM is working fine in other handset. So no problem with the SIM card.

This is a known defect of U950 mainboard, you'll need to go to ZTE service to replace the mainboard. My U950 had exactly the same problem and I went to ZTE service center to replace the mainboard for free since it's in warranty, I saw hundreds of people who had the same problem with their U950 in the service center.

raoyasir

Jan 29, 2013
Dont have ZTE service center

This is a known defect of U950 mainboard, you'll need to go to ZTE service to replace the mainboard. My U950 had exactly the same problem and I went to ZTE service center to replace the mainboard for free since it's in warranty, I saw hundreds of people who had the same problem with their U950 in the service center.

I dont have a service center in my country. I have bought this phone from China. Where are you located. Can you buy one board for me and I'll pay you.

linkinorton

Nov 13, 2011
I dont have a service center in my country. I have bought this phone from China. Where are you located. Can you buy one board for me and I'll pay you.

I'm in Shanghai...In your case, honestly I'm not sure if it's worth to pay for a new mainboard and international postage. The mainboard costs about $33 USD, plus international postage, around $40 - 50 USD depends where you are. So total cost would be around $73 - 83 USD, while a new U950 costs $68 USD nowadays.

zhoubangchang

Dec 16, 2013
TianJin
help!

First of all, thank you very much for your CM10.1!We have no rom higher than 4.0.4 before CM10.1.
Then,I want to your help ,we find somethingwrong with CM10.1.And we are not able to repair.I come from China,ues the CHINA MOBILE GSM/TD,but CM10.1 can not connect to the GPRS .
We Sincere hope you can help us! Thankyou very much!

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

First of all, thank you very much for your CM10.1!We have no rom higher than 4.0.4 before CM10.1.
Then,I want to your help ,we find somethingwrong with CM10.1.And we are not able to repair.I come from China,ues the CHINA MOBILE GSM/TD,but CM10.1 can not connect to the GPRS .
We Sincere hope you can help us! Thankyou very much!

I have try the methord that you have provided
(1) Revert to stock ROM (or any custom ROM where mobile data does work).
2) Download and open a file explorer like Root Explorer or ES Explorer.
3) Go to /system/etc
4) Copy "apns-conf.xml".
5) Go to /sdcard/
6) Paste "apns-conf.xml".
7) Flash ROM.
8) Download a file explorer and open it.
9) Copy "apns-conf.xml".
10) Go to /system/etc
11) Paste "apns-conf.xml" (overwriting the existing file).
12) Reboot the phone.
13) Mobile data should now work.[/HIDE])
But it no use ,The GPRS still do not work .
Waiting for your reply!

kerlsern

May 10, 2013

Send it back to the store. I bought mine from minideal. I sent it to them then they sent it to ZTE. I don't know where you live, but I paid $25 total for send-and-return. Well, If your phone doesn't have warranty, then you'll have to buy spare part. Back in the topic they said that the problem may be unsoldered diode, maybe if you find a technician to do the job.

rado_in

Dec 19, 2013
what about ZTE U819

Hi,

Can you tell me how to use Google Play on ZTE U819, please?

Also, I was wondering how I can modify original update.zip rom and sign it again with it's original key?

Thank you in advance!

skaskaskaska

Oct 18, 2013
I think phone not can use Flow of the Internet is Baseband The problem.Because Baseband is unknown:P:P:P:P

Unfortunately not! it's in the modem module files inside the kernel.

Guys i'm gonna have some time this coming week, i will try all my best with fixing the kernel even i dont use this phone anymore, also if someone is an expert dev please give a look at the boot.img!

newbie8

Dec 21, 2013
cannot download... no mirror found

Hi,

I have got this phone as a gift and now I want to set up the phone. First I want to root it but when I want to dowload the gentools as instructed on the OP I get an error that there is no mirror.

Can anyone pls help ? Thanks

mohsenblack

Nov 29, 2013
hi guys. my wifi is not working.on or off not working, dont find wifi networking.in wifi menu just cmcc and cmcc-edu are, help me how i can fix this problem?:confused:

Maseria

May 24, 2006
CM10/.1 - HeatSka Edition // Play store fix available?

Hi,

I like the above mentioned Rom, but some apps can't be installed out of the Google Play Store. I have installed GAPPS for 4.2.2 is there any fixed Play Store?

Thanks

Maseria

beegfoot

Jan 2, 2014
CM10.1 sound problems

Hi,
I am experiencing problems with sound - after I plug in the headphones some beeps can be heard. The beeps won't stop even if I unplug the headphones. The only solution is reboot.
I've seen someone complaining too about this problem, so I was wondering if there's any solution already, or at least some workaround until the real bugfix?

I really love this ROM, and I would definitely be sad to switch back to 4.0.4.
Thanks.

Maseria

May 24, 2006
CM10/.1 - HeatSka Edition // GPS issues

Hi,

I also found out, that GPS is not working stable and tried also GPS fix, but it is still not working.

Please help

Thanks

Maseria

lcq2425

Dec 8, 2013
Hi,
I am experiencing problems with sound - after I plug in the headphones some beeps can be heard. The beeps won't stop even if I unplug the headphones. The only solution is reboot.
I've seen someone complaining too about this problem, so I was wondering if there's any solution already, or at least some workaround until the real bugfix?

I really love this ROM, and I would definitely be sad to switch back to 4.0.4.
Thanks.

You can open the music player and turn on the music first before you plug in the headphones,then you won't hear the beep.:eek:

mgh412

Jan 10, 2014
helo

I installed meny differents applications on my phone and after reboot , my phone stop in boot screen . and when I press the volume down and power Button , my phone dose not inter in to recovery mood to installing the rom again . when I press the volume up and power button and connect the USB port , my computer know this as APX , now can I install a recovery or rom in this mood?

hasojee

Feb 3, 2014
Simcard issue in ZTEU950

SIM Card No Longer Works
INFO: There is a diode which provides voltage to the SIM card. Somehow it has become loose, which disallows current to the SIM. Thus, the baseband cannot recognize the SIM card any longer.

FIX: The easiest way to fix and check something is to "re-flow" the PCB (printed circuit board). The modem soldering must be re-flowed in order to reconnect the loose diode and re-allow voltage back to the SIM card.

HOW TO DO IT ???? PLZ HELP

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY NEGATIVE IMPACTS OR CONSEQUENCES ON YOUR PHONE IF YOU SO CHOOSE TO USE THIS GUIDE.

I own the ZTE U950 and had realized that there is very little information (in English) on how to do anything beyond stock for this incredible phone. After hours of research and translation I was able to figure out everything needed to get this phone to a "better" state. Since then I - and other XDA members - have been trying to keep the ZTE U950 alive...

ZTE U950 SPECS
    • NVIDIA TEGRA 3 (1.3MHz)
    • 1GB RAM
    • 4.3" Display (480x800)
    • 5MP Front Camera/0.3MP Back Camera
    • Android OS 4.0.4
    DRIVERS
    Here are the "Join Me" drivers so that your PC can recognize the ZTE U950.

KERNEL
    Stock - This is the stock kernel's source file.
    Custom - This is a custom kernel for stock ROMs that can be OC'd to 2.5GHz.

ROOT
    1) Make sure you have USB Debugging Mode and Unknown Sources checked in your phone Settings.
    2) Connect your phone to your PC.
    3) Download and open Genotools.
    4) The program will open, click the 4th tab (last tab on the right).
    5) Ensure that your phone is plugged into your PC.
    6) Click the 2nd ROOT button.
    7) A popup window will appear, press OK.
    8) Your phone will then have a popup window, click the "Restore My Data" option.
    9) The phone will restart several times, leave it for a few minutes.
    10) This is the odd part... The phone will likely not stop restarting, and when you try to click the unlock key for the screen, it will automatically restart. Disconnect the phone. It should continue to restart.
    11) Force the phone off.
    12) Restart the phone.
    13) If you have SuperUser, you are then rooted. If not, repeat these steps.

ROOT - NEW VERSION #1 (UNTESTED!):
    1) Download the file here.
    2) The instructions read verbatim are, "1 If your phone is not acquired before the ROOT privileges, we choose 1 root [next line] 2 after enter". Which I assume means click root, then enter...

ROOT - NEW VERSION #2 (UNTESTED!):
    1) Download the root kit here made for the ZTE U950 (it uses the Chinese recovery), and extract to your desktop.
    2) On your phone, go into Settings and enable USB Debugging under Developer options.
    3) Connect the phone to your PC (Windows OS should fail to recognize the device).
    4) Run either DrvInst_x64.exe or DrvInst_x86.exe. If you are unsure what you have, run both, the wrong one will fail with an error message.
    5) After installation, unplug and replug your phone.
    6) Go into Device Manager. You should be able to see a "ZTE TD Handset ADB Interface" under the "Android Phone" section. If you don't, reinstall the drivers again.
    7). To root, simply run the U950_Root.bat file, and follow the instructions.

RECOVERY (CWM/TWRP)
    1) Download the Chinese CWM or English TWRP recovery.img and place it into the root folder of your external SD card.
    2) Download a terminal emulator. (If you are unable to download one, use the APP TRICKS described near the bottom to install a terminal emulator onto your phone.)
    3) Open the terminal emulator.
    4) Type in "su" then hit the return button.
    5) Now type in the following:

dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS

(and press the return button)

6) There should be a few lines beginning with something like 14052 or 14272, if not, then the above input was not typed correctly. If so, the recovery should now be installed.

GET INTO RECOVERY
    1) Turn the phone off.
    2) Hold the Power button + Volume Down button. When the ZTE logo comes up, count two seconds and then let go of the buttons.
    3) The phone will enter into recovery. Use the Volume rockers for up and down and the power button to choose (if on CWM), or simply touch the buttons (if on TWRP).
    4) I will describe the standard processes here if using CWM - the menus are top-to-bottom on the phone, which are written left-to-right here:

The Main Menu:
    [*] Reboot system now
    [*] Select zip to flash/install
    [*] Wipe data
    [*] Wipe cache
    [*] Backup and restore
    [*] Flash memory/Format
    [*] Advanced setting
    [*] Turn off phone

The Zip Menu:
    [*] Install from zip
    [*] Install from internal

Wipe Date:
    [*] Confirm wipe data
    [*] Do not wipe data

Wipe Cache:
    [*] Confirm wipe cache
    [*] Do not wipe cache

Backup and Restore:
    [*] Backup
    [*] Restore

ROMS (ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE FLASHING ANY ROMS TO THIS PHONE!)

CM10/.1 - HeatSka Edition
    This should be listed under ROMS, but I felt that it needed its own section. Ska and I worked on this for quite some time getting all the kinks worked out. We did not create the original version of this unofficial Cyanogenmod port, but the original had many issues and was not maintained after its initial release. All the major problems have been worked out in our HeatSka edition.

The ROM was initially CM10 (4.1.2), but it has been mixed with files that list it as 4.2.2 (CM10.1) under the information section. In either case, it is Jelly Bean! Aside from the fixes we have implemented, there are also numerous tweaks and mods for UI speed, network speed, battery consumption, app installs, and much more. There is almost no theming, just enough to know that this is our enhanced (and better) variation.

The only known issue that may arise is CPU throttling. We have included an app called, "LGP880 Booster". This app will allow a CPU speed boost when turned on, with a temperature threshold to prevent overheating. If you wish to save battery, only enable this app when playing a game or using CPU-intensive apps.

DOWNLOAD: CM10.1/2 - HeatSka

FLASH A ROM
    1) Download a ROM.
    2) Place the ROM in the root of the phone's SD card.
    3) Enter into recovery.
    4) Wipe data.
    5) Wipe cache.
    NOTE: Wipe data and cache are the Factory Reset button in TWRP.
    6) Follow the menus to get to the ROM in the SD card.
    7) Click the power button to choose the ZIP if on CWM (or just push the designated button on TWRP).
    8) The ROM is being flashed.
    9) Follow the left arrow (the last selection) on the menus to get back to the main menu.
    10) Choose the first option on the main menu to reboot on CWM (or click Reboot followed by System in TWRP).

NOTE I: The ROM will probably be in Chinese. Find the Settings icon and click it. Go down to the Language & Input setting and click it (there is a capital "A" next to it). Click the top setting and choose the desired language.
    NOTE II: There may not be an English keyboard available, so download this 4.2 keyboard ZIP file and flash it in recovery.

INSTALL GOOGLE PLAY
    1) Download and install a file explorer like ES Explorer (free) or Root Explorer (paid). (If the phone is unable to download a file explorer, use the APP TRICKS described near the bottom to install one onto the phone.)
    2) Download and take the three files from the RAR file for Google Play and place them in a folder on the phone that can easily be reached with a file explorer.
    3) Open up a file explorer.
    4) Move the three files to the "/System/App" folder on the phone.
    5) Give the three files each the same permissions (Read for all three groups, and Write for User).
    6) Restart the phone and Google Play should now be installed.

Notes: a) There are cases where two Google Play store icons may appear. They should both work and not cause problems.
    b) If the store does not show, redo the process above.
    c) This trick does seem to work on other Android devices as I have successfully done this on a Galaxy Note N7000.

INSTALL FACTORY ROM
    1) Download a Factory ROM from above and place the "update.zip" file in the root of your external SD card.
    2) Go to Settings.
    3) Go down to About Phone and click that.
    4) Click on System Updates.
    5) Remove the check mark.
    6) Click OK.
    7) The phone should restore to whichever factory update file was used.

APN FIX (MOBILE DATA FIX)
    If your mobile data is not working then use this method to fix your APN:

1) Revert to stock ROM (or any custom ROM where mobile data does work).
    2) Download and open a file explorer like Root Explorer or ES Explorer.
    3) Go to /system/etc
    4) Copy "apns-conf.xml".
    5) Go to /sdcard/
    6) Paste "apns-conf.xml".
    7) Flash ROM.
    8) Download a file explorer and open it.
    9) Copy "apns-conf.xml".
    10) Go to /system/etc
    11) Paste "apns-conf.xml" (overwriting the existing file).
    12) Reboot the phone.
    13) Mobile data should now work.

GAME SUPPORT FOR ZTE U950 (WORKS ONLY FOR U950V1.0.0B02)
    Note: I have not tested this. Apparently the first firmware version of this phone is not recognized by Google Play for certain Tegra games. If this occurs, try the following method.

1) Make a backup of the System folder. (It is easier to make a Backup of the entire ROM in recovery...)
    2) Insert the build.prop file from this file.
    3) Clear the Data for Google Play store (Settings > Apps > Google Play > Clear Data).
    4) Reboot the phone.
    5) When opening Google Play it should make give their agreement again. If it doesn't, then Data has not been cleared.
    6) The rows modified in the build prop is as follows:

Desire ro.product.model = X
    HTC ro.product.brand =
    Desire ro.product.name = X
    Desire ro.product.device = X
    HTC ro.product.manufacturer =

AGAIN, I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS SO USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

APP SUPPORT FOR ZTE U950
    Note: Some apps will throw package errors after downloaded and then will not install. This method will help a lot of these errors from occurring. It doesn't work for all, but it will for some [tested with Dead Trigger 2].

1) Download this file.
    2) Use a file explorer like ES Explorer (free) or Root Explorer (paid) and put com.google.android.maps.xml in /system/etc/permissions
    3) Put com.google.android.maps.jar in /system/framework
    4) Reboot the phone and now apps should install without issue.

DEAD TRIGGER 1
    1) Enable graphics details to High in Setup/Others.
    2) Exit the game.
    3) Use a file explorer like ES Explorer (free) or Root Explorer (paid) and go to /data/data/com.madfingergames.deadtrigger/shared_prefs/
    4) Edit the com.madfingergames.deadtrigger.xml file.
    5) Change <int name=”UnityGraphicsQuality” value=”1″ /> to <int name=”UnityGraphicsQuality” value=”2″ />
    6) Change <int name=”OptionsGraphicDetail” value=”2″ /> to <int name=”OptionsGraphicDetail” value=”3″ />
    7) Save the com.madfingergames.deadtrigger.xml file.
    8) Remove all write permission on User, Group and Other for the com.madfingergames.deadtrigger.xml file.
    9) Delete the com.madfingergames.deadtrigger.xml.bak file.

Note: This technique works on any non-Tegra device.

APP TRICKS
    If apps cannot be downloaded normally (from Google Play), this guide will show an alternative method on how to install them:
    1) Download the necessary apk file online.
    2) Open the 4.2LatinIme.zip with 7zip or WinRAR and delete the keyboard APK (or keep it if not installed yet).
    3) While the ZIP is open go into "/Sytem/App" and place in it any APK you want installed.
    4) Boot into recovery.
    5) Flash the ZIP file.
    6) Reboot and the app(s) should be installed.

Note: I have noticed that certain apps do not flash properly so an alternative APK needs to be downloaded. However, once you have the right apps to install Google Play, you should be able to download any apps from the store.

HARDWARE FIXES BY SKA
    NOTE: Always work without the battery attached to the phone.

SIM Card No Longer Works
    INFO: There is a diode which provides voltage to the SIM card. Somehow it has become loose, which disallows current to the SIM. Thus, the baseband cannot recognize the SIM card any longer.

FIX: The easiest way to fix and check something is to "re-flow" the PCB (printed circuit board). The modem soldering must be re-flowed in order to reconnect the loose diode and re-allow voltage back to the SIM card.

Touchscreen Not Displaying
    1. Open up your phone. If you don't know how, then you won't be able to continue...
    2. There are three connectors on the left soc side. Check the upper connector near the audio jack and try to seat with a pair of tweezers very gently.
    3. There is a white line on every connector - apart from the battery connector - pull up straight. It must be exactly at the of the beginning of the brown clip when pulled downwards.
    MISC
    • I have successfully paired this phone with a PS3 controller using Sixaxis. This is not unique to my phone as I have verified that there is support within the Kernel for this.
    • It does seem that Wii controller support can be turned on according to the kernel...
    • There are no known custom kernels for this phone, however, the incomplete Cyanogenmod ROM available does seem to use its own kernel.
    • The phone is "stuck" on ICS 4.0.4 with almost every ROM. The incomplete Cyanogenmod ROM upgrades the OS to JB 4.1.2.
    • The phone is known to have heating issues on different (all?) firmware versions. While these do not seem to attribute to hardware failure, it is an annoyance.
    • Different firmware versions apparently produce varying levels of GPU performance: The best in GPU performance is U950V1.0.0B14, but this build may produce issues in some games. The worst in GPU performance is U950V1.0.0B18, but it is stable. The U950V1.0.0B22 is stable as well but has better GPU performance than B18. I have found no information on how well the first and last firmware versions perform in terms of GPU.
    • To disconnect the battery connector you need to place a spudger beneath and lift up. It is the same method used for the connectors of fans, temperature sensors, and the battery in a MacBook Pro 2006/7/8.
    I have never had the SIM card issue (fortunately), and wouldn't know how to communicate with ZTE.

If anyone can get the supposed CM10.1, we can see if we can fix it up and make it work. At least then we could get 4.1.2 on our phone... As far as I can tell though, there is no CM10.1 (a hoax).

There was a 4.2.2. I've downloaded it a long time ago, I might try to dig and find it! but never tried to flash, since this phone was new at the time, btw in a chinese post, someone was porting v985 firmware (which has JB) to u950 , the kernels were basically the same since both of them are tegra 3 devices (apart from the revision of the soc : v985 = 1.5ghz T30 ; u950 = 1,3ghz T30L ) , and it was partially working. Unfortunately am not a pro developer neither i know how to cook roms ...i will try soon, i hope. cheers
    Alright, I have posted a new thread if you would like to increase your Video/Audio/Image bitrates. I was able to increase quite a bit. The thread is in my signature and here.

I do see a lot of interest in the kernel, so I will give it a go here pretty soon. May take a while...

I am going to do one more thread for the U950 concerning battery optimizations, as that seems to be a big concern for people playing games and whatnot. The tips and ideas to optimize your battery that I will be listing can also be used for any phone, so may be worth your time.

As for the last post before mine, please take a look at the ideas I posted in the page before and try some of those. Worst case scenario, you may have bad hardware, but reading through these posts it seems miracles can happen.
    Finally CM10.1 4.2.2 :laugh:

Guys, well, sometimes it's just easier than you can think.This morning i've read some tutorials, and starting from the unfinished chinese cm10.1 i've fixed the problems that this rom had, by moving some files and making some modification in to, from the lastest ics. Basically some drivers and config files. Now everything is working, but there are still glitches and performance problems, other than that , the phone is very usable.
    I've sent some links to Heatshiver so also him can work on, my idea was to implement also Mipop (for fullscreen) and Emode.apk (powermanager). Now i will try to load via cwm, Gapps to see how they run, and nexus camera to test photosphere, with Focal it was quite good :)

Due to bad weather i have very slow internet so i can only upload a couple of photos

Cheers from italy
    thank you all of the links, it's very useful for us :good:
    but it's hard to understand (for me) these chinese forums, and the downloads are so difficult. The best roms are enough for me/for us, cause I don't want to register chinese forums, and I don't want to try lots of roms.
    So I would like to ask for you, give us the direct links to the very best roms (for example the MIUI rom). We can share it here, in this forum - (maybe) this is the most known site, I used it many times to root and change roms on lots of smartphones. I love this ZTE, but maybe it can be a bit better ;)
    Thank you!

sure.
    first.
    Nice english touchable recovery
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7sl19kkmepxfmip/recovery.img?v=0mcn
    miui 3.2.8
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hchvsp0b5m16x11/miui_u950_3.2.8_ysdfyc4zwg_4.0.zip.zip?v=0rc-
    miui 3.3.7(dunno if works good)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxuvkxlilnsvfqe/miui_u950_3.3.7_msdfyc4zwg_4.0.zip?v=0rc-
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone