ZTE ZMAX PRO root?

Search This thread

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Ads are the only thing that really bother me on an unrooted phone. I'm using Adguard for now, it filters web traffic for free, or web plus app traffic if you pay a subscription fee. Not great but better than nothing. If anyone knows of anything that filters everything and is free, and works without root, I'd love to hear about it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

mac.os.x

Dec 30, 2013
Dayton
Ads are the only thing that really bother me on an unrooted phone. I'm using Adguard for now, it filters web traffic for free, or web plus app traffic if you pay a subscription fee. Not great but better than nothing. If anyone knows of anything that filters everything and is free, and works without root, I'd love to hear about it.

I'm bout to pay someone to root this thing. Honestly don't know what I was thinking buying a ZTE to begin with. Bought it for my women cause she shattered her Grand 3, but it works. 1479135885190.jpg

Sent from my DROID Turbo using XDA-Developers mobile app

Reactions: Bgddydck559

NeoZiggy

NetGuard here on XDA will block ads without root. It creates a VPN and filters traffic through. Do not get the one in the Market/Play Store since they do not allow ad blocking apps, you have to download it from their Github. It's what I use since my Boost LG Stylo can't be rooted due to locked bootloader. I'm considering this phone once we have root.

NetGuard: http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-netguard-root-firewall-t3233012. Click "ad blocking" in the OP for their Github site.

Reactions: baaluo and 5318008

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
NetGuard here on XDA will block ads without root. It creates a VPN and filters traffic through. Do not get the one in the Market/Play Store since they do not allow ad blocking apps, you have to download it from their Github. It's what I use since my Boost LG Stylo can't be rooted due to locked bootloader. I'm considering this phone once we have root.

NetGuard: http://xdaforums.com/android/apps-games/app-netguard-root-firewall-t3233012. Click "ad blocking" in the OP for their Github site.
Thanks, downloading it now. I'd moved from AdGuard to Block It but NetGuard looks even better.

Edit: Tried NetGuard, it does look better but you need to pay money to block ads, so I'm going back to Block It. It doesn't catch quite as many ads as AdGuard was filtering, but it's 100% free and should be good enough until we get root and AdAway.

Edit 2: I'm an idiot

Last edited:

NeoZiggy

Thanks, downloading it now. I'd moved from AdGuard to Block It but NetGuard looks even better.

Edit: Tried NetGuard, it does look better but you need to pay money to block ads, so I'm going back to Block It. It doesn't catch quite as many ads as AdGuard was filtering, but it's 100% free and should be good enough until we get root and AdAway.

Pay money? Maybe I have an old version because I never saw anything about that. You just have to download the Hosts file and set it to filter traffic.
It was free. Sorry, I didn't know it changed.

Reactions: 5318008

Aug 16, 2009
Portland, OR
Pay money? Maybe I have an old version because I never saw anything about that. You just have to download the Hosts file and set it to filter traffic.
It was free. Sorry, I didn't know it changed.

I misunderstood how it worked and hadn't read the documentation. I didn't realize I needed to download a block list. I thought it had ad blocking out of the box, and it kept giving me a message saying I needed to buy one of the pro options to block all further ads, but I think now that it was just talking about the ads inside NetGuard and not any other ads. I downloaded the default block file and everything seems to be working great. Thanks again for the tip. So far I'm ranking the non-root ad blockers I've tried as AdGuard < Block It < NetGuard.

Edit: Went back to Block It. Not as many options but NetGuard was letting in some popups in some apps that Block It blocks. Maybe I'll give NetGuard another try later using a custom block list.

Last edited:

NeoZiggy

I misunderstood how it worked and hadn't read the documentation. I didn't realize I needed to download a block list. I thought it had ad blocking out of the box, and it kept giving me a message saying I needed to buy one of the pro options to block all further ads, but I think now that it was just talking about the ads inside NetGuard and not any other ads. I downloaded the default block file and everything seems to be working great. Thanks again for the tip. So far I'm ranking the non-root ad blockers I've tried as AdGuard < Block It < NetGuard.

Edit: Went back to Block It. Not as many options but NetGuard was letting in some popups in some apps that Block It blocks. Maybe I'll give NetGuard another try later using a custom block list.

Lol, yeah. There are Pro some features that cost a bit (and we all should support devs). I believe you can choose your own blocklist URL, not sure. I don't play games but mostly browse, search, and read news. It could be possible that you need to clear your cache of games or on the device in general to remove ads that are saved on the device itself... but I've only had that issue when rooted and using the Hosts file.

If you use your phone as a hostspot it allows that to pass through the VPN.... I had trouble using Bluetooth tethering unless I selected "subnet routing" and "allow tethering" in the Network Options. Hope this helps!

I hope we get the bootloader unlocked and a working root!! I called Metro and they said it would only cost me $40 for the phone if I'm switching from Boost!

Last edited:

baaluo

Jun 3, 2009
thanks! I'll try this out now

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly
Lol, yeah. There are Pro some features that cost a bit (and we all should support devs). I believe you can choose your own blocklist URL, not sure. I don't play games but mostly browse, search, and read news. It could be possible that you need to clear your cache of games or on the device in general to remove ads that are saved on the device itself... but I've only had that issue when rooted and using the Hosts file.

If you use your phone as a hostspot it allows that to pass through the VPN.... I had trouble using Bluetooth tethering unless I selected "subnet routing" and "allow tethering" in the Network Options. Hope this helps!

I hope we get the bootloader unlocked and a working root!! I called Metro and they said it would only cost me $40 for the phone if I'm switching from Boost!

$40 for the phone when you port. $30 for one month of service. $10 or less to unlock.

dbpaddler

Oct 19, 2009
Philly

MetroPCS. Thought everyone knew about it. Go to any corporate store. Port over any non T-Mobile number for a $60 credit and walk out the door with the phone for $40 and one month of service at $30. Hop on ebay and look for MetroPCS app unlock and get it unlocked for under $10.

Now if I could only flash the T-Mobile firmware like I could with thr LG phones.

Reactions: nakamoniel

enesha

Sep 19, 2010
That option is on all phones in developer enabled menus. It does not do what you think it does. Tire's lots of people on her trying, everyone posting the same things (without a cursory search first) is very distracting. in other words, search before you ask

RaiderWill

Jul 11, 2011
NEW ROMULUS
You're Missing Something..

This page claims to have root using auto root.
http://kidapso.com/how-to-root-zte-zmax-pro/
I dont own a zte but probably will in a few days.
Can anyone test this?

This budget device is not getting rooted.. :cool:
ZTE has "Removed" bootloader access completely.
You can't even get access to try to unlock it.
And no one-click app does the job either..
Maybe Kingoroot later this year if they get enough request..

But are you still going to be interested in this device towards the end of 2017.. :cool:
Or even now when you can get the Moto G4 for just $80 more or the G4 play for only $40 more and they have the full support of the community with root, roms and kernels..

Reactions: Droid78

Top Liked Posts