• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Zune Artist Background Image - Solution

Search This thread

Stairmand

Feb 22, 2007
I've had this problem since release day. I'm in the UK and have a HD7 from O2 unlocked running on Vodafone.

All my music is tagged perfectly using MP3 Tag (i'm a bit OCD about this as I have a Home server and 3 HTPC's that use the same library) all have Artist, Album Artist, Track, Album and Album cover image tagged.

On all the music transfered to my HD7 Kasabian, Ian Brown, Foo fighters all have background images working fine.

However, If I play any other artist I have no background images, even very popular ones. So I tried your guide, If I play a track and select the Marketplace icon it just says "Loading..." and doesnt work.

However after LOTS of messing about, I found that it works if you hard reset, dont play any music tracks! just select the Artist and then select Marketplace. Marketplace then loads and background images come up OK.

Funney enough searching for the Artists ibn Marketplace works any time. So I think that this is obviously a problem with WP7 and not region or Zune pass related.

brummiesteven

Aug 29, 2008
Birmingham
I've had this problem since release day. I'm in the UK and have a HD7 from O2 unlocked running on Vodafone.

All my music is tagged perfectly using MP3 Tag (i'm a bit OCD about this as I have a Home server and 3 HTPC's that use the same library) all have Artist, Album Artist, Track, Album and Album cover image tagged.

On all the music transfered to my HD7 Kasabian, Ian Brown, Foo fighters all have background images working fine.

However, If I play any other artist I have no background images, even very popular ones. So I tried your guide, If I play a track and select the Marketplace icon it just says "Loading..." and doesnt work.

However after LOTS of messing about, I found that it works if you hard reset, dont play any music tracks! just select the Artist and then select Marketplace. Marketplace then loads and background images come up OK.

Funney enough searching for the Artists ibn Marketplace works any time. So I think that this is obviously a problem with WP7 and not region or Zune pass related.

Weird that you had to reset but great that you've found a solution :)

Stairmand

Feb 22, 2007
Well easy come easy go, the tracks that I managed to get background images for no longer work but the ones that worked originaly still do.

I hope MS sort this in V1.1.

airelk

May 18, 2010
I'm from New Zealand, Just bought an HTC Trophy, quite impressed except for the lack of internal memory (8gb) and no expansion slot. But Yeah I was first trying to get the Zune tile to change to having artists on it rather than just the zune logo. And haven't fixed that and Now I'm trying to suss out my artists images as background images on my trophy whilst in the zune application.

So far after resarching for a few hours, It only works in the US. Obviously me being in New Zealand gives a lack of support, but we're used to the lack of support in probably everything, as technology in New Zealand is probably about the same as the US was in 500BC.
But I've changed my Pc region settings to the US, and now I can access the Zune market place on my pc, and on my zune I changed the location settings and such to the US, but that didn't do much. I also made a new hotmail account for my zune and set it all to settings in the states. I downloaded the zune social tagger, but that couldn't connect, even with popular artists. However on my Zune software on my PC it connects to the artist bio and marketplace and such, but once synced to my phone, nothing changes.

No luck so far.

Krissrock

Nov 12, 2010
it's not as simple as the OP states. it will work IF you have all the correct tags. You're best bet is to use the Zune Social tagger...it's very good BUT also does not work 100%.

in the ZST, there can multiple albums identical albumbs listed for the same artist, some will show the correct image, and some will not.

There's seems to be 3 different pieces of meta data that is used for the artwork.
Album artist - pic u may see when u click on the album
song artist - pic u may see when u play the song
Artist - pic u may see when u click on the artist's name

If u haven't experienced this yet, you can different images for these attributes, for the same song depending on where you're looking in your phone. For Example.

I had the song Umbrella by rihanna ft Jay-Z. At one point, when i would click on the artist name, I would get her background pic...I could click on the market place and get more of her songs...BUT when i clicked on the song itself, I would get Jay-z's background pic and bio!
So, I found a entry in the ZST that would give me her pic for the artist, and her pic for the song. and I was just going to edit the song information since I was going to use the wrong album.
So i tagged the umbrella song with an incorrect song from another album of her's that correctly had the images tagged. THEN when i would manuall edit the album title, the pic would go BACK to the incorrect background pic for the song!

So long story short, there's a lot of incorrectly tagged info on the market place and in ZST. There's also artist that don't have a background picture at all. If they have a bio though, it's correctly tagged.

So what i've found is using the ZST and trying multiple albums till i find one that is correctly tagged/linked.

The op's suggest will work for some, but u gotta have it correctly tagged in the first place.

Last edited:

airelk

May 18, 2010
My entire library is properly tagged, has always been, every track has album art too. I tried zune social tagger, but like I mentioned, It just won't connect at all. Everytime, no results. Even typing in 'Eminem' or 'Fleedtwood Mac' for the sake of checking for the bigger artists; and still no results. I changed my PC region to the US, and my language to English (United States). And no results. However now my Zune software DOES connect to the marketplace (music and all), whereas originally it was just videos and apps. My zune software now works fine and when in 'now playing' mode it shows the graphic visualization of the artist (ie fleetwood mac has images of them and the stats of song plays etc, same with bee gees). So I know THEY ARE properly tagged, it's just my Phone that won't show the background images. My phone is set to US in it's regional settings.

So far my only conclusion is that I'd have to hard reset my phone, and when it asks for my live ID, put in my phony US windows live id and set it up as US phone.

But I'm sure there is another way, and someone has figured it out.

airelk

May 18, 2010
I also found this to be rather interesting:

"Hello,

Thank you for posting. As of today, Music purchase on Zune is not available in Canada. Have a great day and a Happy New Year. "

and to which the OP's reply was:

"Axel, are you aware of the fact that it really looks like you are mocking all of us? Meaning all of those who, like me, are forced to use Zune portal as the only way to get applications into my device and cannot do it just because I don't live in one of the selected few countries?

What does that say about MS policy towards the world?

I will not have neither a great day nor a great year because I bought a very exepnsive phone but can't use it properly just because I am portuguese...

And there are many, many others like me!

Thank you MS... thank you very much!"

I just don't get why Microsoft is so fussy about it's region settings on zune? If they want more money (which is what its about in the end), then just open your market to more regions, more people will be happy and will buy it.

Krissrock

Nov 12, 2010
My entire library is properly tagged, it's just my Phone that won't show the background images. .

sorry bro, if it's not right on your phone, it's not really right on your pc. The pc does a search and will find similarly, although incorrect informaion. If you have multiple albums by the same artist, you can notice when going into the mixed view, or get more information on this album...you will get different results.
Zune will search and return what it finds, correct or not...however, your phone will return nothing if its not properly tagged. If you hit the "marketplace" button, sometimes it does nothing at all...

You should going through the result, and connecting a song with each one of the various search results, and see what it does on your phone...you'll see different results and probably eventually get the right one

zune itself is the worst at tagging. You can search and connect an album, and still not be able to see mixed view. I pretty much couldn't for anyone till i started using the social tagger.

I think what really needs to be disclosed is how the marketplace gets its information...it almost seems like a wiki type of user managed database of a lot on incorrect ****.

hammered09

Jul 18, 2008
I've been looking at this today and I can safely say that Zune Social Tagger is... well, crap!
You have to have the details as is written in the Zune DB and I mean EXACTLY... If you have your files tagged with a lowercase letter in, rather than whats in ZST's DB, it won't pick it up. The actual tag maybe correct, it's just that it's not intelligent enough to realise that its the same bloody track!
Also, there is no-way of updating the actual DB. I have a couple of Kasabian albums which aren't getting picked up due to the albums being the original ones and ZST only has updated versions, ie re-released versions. I know what my album is, WTF do I have to have it tagged as MS want it to be tagged...
If they want this system to work, then they ought to allow us to be able to update the DB and let it grow, it would be correct as well, rather than the pissy, crappy way that it runs at the moment. :mad:

Alperen4

Jan 31, 2011
There is a tool called "ZuneConsole". I also have ZuneHD and with this program, we can manually change artist backgrounds, bio etc. There is not pictures for all the artist, for example in my archive, Tool, In Flames have a bunch of pictures but Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity have none. That tool is hooking Zune and provides to change or add what we want.
If anyone who knows programming or etc. can take a look and try to port or mod this tool for use. I can't post the web site of the project now because my posts are not adequate. But if you google, you can find easily.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I see a lot of topics asking how to get the Artist BG Image in the Zune Player. I always reply with this solution and then, once I've replied, the threads always seem to die. This I guess suggests that not only does the solution work for me, it works for everyone else too.

I decided to post the solution here in a separate thread, as I've seen a lot of topics on the subject both here and in the WP7 forum. Hopefully this will stop new topics being made (as it will come up in the "Similar threads we found).

Anyway here's the solution:

1) Transfer your music to your phone
    2) Play the music without the BG image
    3) Click on the Artist's name... This will take you to the summary of the artist
    4) All songs* of this artist should now be shown, below this you have a Marketplace heading with an Arrow, click this Arrow.
    5) All songs* in the marketplace should now be displayed.. IF the artist has a BG image it should load up now
    6) Press back to go back to now playing, the BG image should still be present and will be present now for all songs by that artist
    7) Repeat the process for each artist.

*It may be albums that come first, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Known Faults:

- Incorrect tagging
    For example, "Mr. Hudson" in the marketplace is "Mr Hudson" thus music tagged as "Mr. Hudson" wont display a BG Image. To identify this, nothing will load when you try and load Marketplace items for that artist. To fix, simply rename in Zune

- Certain Artists
    While this has worked for 99% of my collection, there are 1 or 2 artists who have BG images when in artist view but then this image just wont copy over to now playing. I have no idea why and have no Solution for this.