[T235][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for T235(Y) [Alpha 09/08/2015]

Search This thread

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
This is a CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM for the Exynos3470 based Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 LTE (T235/T235Y).

DO NOT USE IT FOR T230(NU)/T231 OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE
Although T235 and T230(NU)/T231 (T230:WiFi / T231:3G) share the "Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" name they are not related in terms of hardware due to the different SoCs used (Samsung Exynos3470 vs. Marvell PXA1088).
Hence please do not ask for support or ROMs for the T230(NU)/T231.

Working features
  • Receiving and making calls
  • Hardware sensors (Acceleration)
  • Audio
  • Bluetooth
  • Wifi
  • HW accelerated GUI
  • MTP storage
  • GPS
  • USB-OTG (Mass-Storage, Keyboard, Mouse working, USB-Audio untested)
  • Camera (pictures+video: Back+Front)

Non-working features:
  • SELinux

Known issues:

Disclaimer:
  • You flash this image at your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might be caused by flashing this image (bricked device, lost data, ...)
  • Flashing this kernel image will trigger the KNOX counter, so your warranty will be void.
  • Applications that use KNOX (e.g. "Private Mode") might not work anymore when returning to the stock ROM, as the device is regarded as compromised. Do not flash this ROM if you need those applications.
  • The image is only for Tab 4 7.0 SM-T235 and SM-T235Y (Exynos)
  • It might be instable, crash your device, drain your battery, or even might damage your smartphone
  • Backup your data before flashing and check if the original firmware is present (e.g. at SamMobile)
Before you start:
  • Backup your data, like call history, contacts, sms, WhatsApp messages, favourite app settings that are on internal and external sd (by using Titanium Backup or other apps available on PlayStore). At least all internal data will be lost in any case. If you have bad luck you might also loose data from your external sd card.

Download:

Install recovery:
  • Reboot your device into Odin mode: turn off your device, then press Volume-Down + Home + Power button at the same time and release them.
  • Confirm the following warning message with the Volume-Up button.
  • Connect your device to your PC via USB
  • Make sure the device driver's are installed on your PC
  • Start Odin
  • In Odin select PDA and select the recovery image (recovery.tar.md5)
  • Check that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" is set
  • Click on "Start": the kernel image should be flashed now and the device should reboot afterwards. By flashing the recovery, your warranty will be void.
  • After the recovery flashing process was successful, power of your device. If not restart into Download mode and flash again or flash the stock rom.

Before you flash:
  • You need the latest TWRP recovery (see links above). Otherwise TWRP might not be able to flash the ROM.
  • Wipe the device to avoid problems with remaining files from the old installation (see instructions below). This also applies if you already installed an older version of CM 12.1.

Flash CyanogenMod:
  • Reboot into recovery mode (Press Volume-Up + Home + Power button)
  • If you come from a stock ROM, this is your opportunity to make a Backup of your phone(Backup, then select Boot, System, Data, then swipe to backup). Note that the recovery might fail to restore the backup when you want to go back to the stock ROM (for me it got stuck after a restore during boot. But the backup was made with a different version of TWRP, so it might work in general) - simply do not expect too much of it at the moment.
  • If you haven't copied the installation files yet, you can now copy the GApps and CyanogenMod zip to your internal sd or external sd (be careful not to put the files into the data directory of the internal sd card as this will be deleted in the next step). Be sure that MTP is enabled (inside Mounts, click on Enable MTP), then, from your pc, copy the files. If MTP does not work from recovery, try it directly from Android or remove the external sd card from the phone and put it into your PC.
  • Wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Data (inside Wipe -> Advanced Wipe). Do not report problems if you did not wipe those partitions as the problems are most probably related to this!
  • Install the CM 12.1 ROM zip-package
  • Install the GApps zip-package
  • Reboot the system and enjoy a Lollipop

How to root:
No SuperSu is needed as CyanogenMod already comes with integrated root support. Root access is disabled by default.
You normally do not need root access. If you want to activate root access for apps, do the following:
  • Open the Settings menu, select "About Phone"
  • Tap on the "Build number" entry seven times. You should be notified, that the developer settings are now active.
  • Open the Settings menu, select "Developer options". Enable root access by selecting "Apps" in the "Root-Access" setting.

In case you want to go back to the stock ROM:
  • lf you do not have the latest stock ROM you can download it from SamMobile
  • Reboot your phone into Odin mode
  • Open Odin on your PC and connect your smartphone with your PC via USB
  • If you have a zip-file unzip it so that you have a .tar.md5 file
  • In Odin click on the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file. Then press "Start".
  • Normally the stock rom fails to boot as the data from CM12 is still on the data partition. So after flashing the stock rom, reboot into recovery mode (it looks a bit different now). First wipe the data partition, then wipe the cache.
  • Reboot

Changelog
Code:
09/08/2015:
*Update kernel to T235XXU1AOD1
*Synchronize with newest CM 12.1 sources (contains stagefright patches)
*Fixed black screen on minimal brightness
12/07/2015:
* Charging animation in standby-mode fixed
11/07/2015:
* Update to newest CyanogenMod sources (LMY48G)
* Left touchkey working now (configured as App-Switch button)
* Camera Preview working (saving a picture might still crash)
30/06/2015:
* Image sizes reduced to fix "unable to mount /system" problems
28/06/2015:
* Initial test-build

This section is for developers:
A README file with build instructions can be found here:
https://github.com/cm-3470/patcher_degaslte

Sources:
Code:
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_degaslte
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_vendor_samsung_degaslte
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_kernel_samsung_degaslte
https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_smdk3470-common

Developers welcome
  • Help from other developers is always welcome. See the bug/feature section and this thread to see what is missing. Just give some short info (here in this thread or PM) that you want to work on some issue or feature so that work can be synchronized. Maybe there are also other devs that want to work with you on the same issue.
  • Knowledge in how the kernel works and good programming skills in C, C++ and Java would be nice but not necessary for all problems. At least you should be able to build the ROM and test your changes yourself but you do not need experience in porting ROMs.

XDA:DevDB Information
[T235][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for T235(Y) [Alpha 09/08/2015], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Contributors
hennymcc
Source Code: https://github.com/cm-3470

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Recovery [version from 09/08/2015]
Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-06-29
Last Updated 2015-09-24

Last edited:

interstellar22

Feb 19, 2014
i wiped system and all partitions using your new twrp but when i install the zip file then /system becomes unmountable
/system is formated ext4
should i try to format it f2fs ?

Reactions: hennymcc

interstellar22

Feb 19, 2014
any marvell devices will not work with this or any other custom rom.

this is an exynos device not marvell

and now for some reason i cant restore the backup i made
i tryed restorng the backup with twrp 2.8.6.0 recovery from this thread and the 2.8.1.0 from the other.
one gives boot animation loop and the other is stuck at boot

Last edited:

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
@hennymcc

do you have included selinux_defconfig in your twrp kernel?
androidboot.selinux=disabled at twrps kernel cmd line should be removed

The default selinux setting is enforced. As the selinux configuration files are not complete, Android would not boot.
Setting androidboot.selinux=permissive might work, but when I tested this setting on my S5 mini, it was rather unstable for some reason.

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
http://www.mobosdata.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-4-7-0-lte-sm-t235y
According to this the SM-T235Y is based on Marvel cpu vs exynos on the sm-t235
Does anyone really know the differences ? On another page i read the sm-t235y has a snapdragon 400 ...
Hectic confusing samsung numbering + different devices with same model name .

any marvell devices will not work with this or any other custom rom.

this is an exynos device not marvell

T235 and T235Y definitely use Exynos 3470 SoCs. Here an extract from the T235Y default.prop:
Code:
ro.product.model=SM-T235Y
ro.product.name=degasltezt
ro.product.device=degaslte
ro.product.board=universal3470
ro.chipname=exynos3470

The default.prop file of the T235 is similar, only that the product name is degasltexx.

Marvell's PXA1088 SoC is used in the T230/NU which is the non-LTE (WiFi-only) variant of the Tab 4 7.0.

Marvell's PXA1088 and Samsung's Exynos3470 are totally different and have nothing in common (except an ARM core), the same applies to Qualcomm's Snapdragon. There are many websites that mention wrong SoC names as Samsung's naming scheme is rather confusing.
The same applies to the S5 Mini: G800F/M/Y -> Exynos3470, G800H -> Qualcomm Snapdragon.

Last edited:

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
i've tried to test the rom but i can't install so far... i've wiped all but it said it can't mount system again...

Code:
Info: format successful
I:mkfs.f2fs -t 1 /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 process ended with RC=0
Done.

Why was the system partition formatted with f2fs? The default file system is ext4.
The TWRP partition table is hardcoded to ext4 so that's probably the reason for these lines:
Code:
E:Unable to mount '/system'
I:Actual block device: '/dev/block/mmcblk0p18', current file system: 'ext4'

Could you reformat it with ext4?

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
i tryed once without wiping cache, but i had cache backed up also
then i tryed to do a factory reset
still stuck at bootlogo
and adb logcat and adb devices shows nothing

Did you flash the stock ROM with Odin?
And afterwards wipe the data partition and then the cache with the _stock_ recovery (as TWRP is not available after flashing the stock ROM)?

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
i wiped system and all partitions using your new twrp but when i install the zip file then /system becomes unmountable
/system is formated ext4
should i try to format it f2fs ?

Short summary:
interstellar22 and corneo tried it so far and both got the error message "/system unmountable"

Strange that corneo was able to generate an error log.
@corneo: did you create the log with adb?

At least according to corneo's log, it seams that after the F2FS format the partition is reformatted with EXT4 afterwards:
Code:
Formatting system using make_ext4fs function.

It also says:
Code:
  erasing 588800 blocks
    blkdiscard failed: Invalid argument
  writing 134395 blocks of new data
lseek64 failed: Invalid argument
I:Legacy property environment disabled.
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sd/cm-12.1-20150627-UNOFFICIAL-degaslte.zip'
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/cm-12.1-20150627-UNOFFICIAL-degaslte.zip'

Not that sure about what causes this error. Maybe the partition sizes have to be changed.

corneo

Short summary:
interstellar22 and corneo tried it so far and both got the error message "/system unmountable"

Strange that corneo was able to generate an error log.
@corneo: did you create the log with adb?

At least according to corneo's log, it seams that after the F2FS format the partition is reformatted with EXT4 afterwards:
Code:
Formatting system using make_ext4fs function.

It also says:
Code:
  erasing 588800 blocks
I:Legacy property environment disabled.
E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/external_sd/cm-12.1-20150627-UNOFFICIAL-degaslte.zip'
Error flashing zip '/external_sd/cm-12.1-20150627-UNOFFICIAL-degaslte.zip'

Not that sure about what causes this error. Maybe the partition sizes have to be changed.

i've created the log in recovery and copied it to sd.
now i flashed the tab again with odin and try it again. same issue...

Gesendet von meinem One M8

interstellar22

Feb 19, 2014
i managed to get the original firmware back with odin
could it be that the system.new.dat file is corrupted ?
i had formated system with ext4 then did the update and was still getting unable to mount /system afterwards
so most probably the system.new.dat file has some problems or i have no idea why i cant mount /system afterwards

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Maybe it is caused by wrong BOARD_...IMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE values in BoardConfig.mk.

Could you please post the contents of /proc/mounts and /proc/partitions:
Code:
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/partitions

The above should be performed from the stock ROM. The device must be rooted.

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
Hmm, the problem might be here:
Code:
Patching system image unconditionally...
blockimg version is 2
  erasing 588800 blocks

588800 * 4096 = 2411724800 bytes (2,2GB)
This is the value of the BoardConfig.mk taken from the S5 Mini (BOARD_SYSTEMIMAGE_PARTITION_SIZE := 2411724800).

But the system partition is only 2233466880 bytes:
Code:
/system | /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 | Size: 2096MB Used: 1828MB Free: 268MB Backup Size: 1828MB
Code:
I:wipe_path '/system'
Formatting System using make_ext4fs function.
Creating filesystem with parameters:
    Size: 2233466880

The system.img itself is only 500MB in size. So I guess reducing the image size should fix the problem.

hennymcc

Dec 7, 2014
An updated ROM is available. The image sizes have been reduced. I hope this fixes the problems with the system-partition.

Also use the new TWRP recovery as the partition sizes might be hardcoded in the old one.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM for the Exynos3470 based Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 LTE (T235/T235Y).

DO NOT USE IT FOR T230(NU)/T231 OR YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE
    Although T235 and T230(NU)/T231 (T230:WiFi / T231:3G) share the "Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" name they are not related in terms of hardware due to the different SoCs used (Samsung Exynos3470 vs. Marvell PXA1088).
    Hence please do not ask for support or ROMs for the T230(NU)/T231.

Working features
    • Receiving and making calls
    • Hardware sensors (Acceleration)
    • Audio
    • Bluetooth
    • Wifi
    • HW accelerated GUI
    • MTP storage
    • GPS
    • USB-OTG (Mass-Storage, Keyboard, Mouse working, USB-Audio untested)
    • Camera (pictures+video: Back+Front)

Non-working features:
    • SELinux

Known issues:

Disclaimer:
    • You flash this image at your own responsibility. I am not responsible for any damage that might be caused by flashing this image (bricked device, lost data, ...)
    • Flashing this kernel image will trigger the KNOX counter, so your warranty will be void.
    • Applications that use KNOX (e.g. "Private Mode") might not work anymore when returning to the stock ROM, as the device is regarded as compromised. Do not flash this ROM if you need those applications.
    • The image is only for Tab 4 7.0 SM-T235 and SM-T235Y (Exynos)
    • It might be instable, crash your device, drain your battery, or even might damage your smartphone
    • Backup your data before flashing and check if the original firmware is present (e.g. at SamMobile)
    Before you start:
    • Backup your data, like call history, contacts, sms, WhatsApp messages, favourite app settings that are on internal and external sd (by using Titanium Backup or other apps available on PlayStore). At least all internal data will be lost in any case. If you have bad luck you might also loose data from your external sd card.

Download:

Install recovery:
    • Reboot your device into Odin mode: turn off your device, then press Volume-Down + Home + Power button at the same time and release them.
    • Confirm the following warning message with the Volume-Up button.
    • Connect your device to your PC via USB
    • Make sure the device driver's are installed on your PC
    • Start Odin
    • In Odin select PDA and select the recovery image (recovery.tar.md5)
    • Check that only "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" is set
    • Click on "Start": the kernel image should be flashed now and the device should reboot afterwards. By flashing the recovery, your warranty will be void.
    • After the recovery flashing process was successful, power of your device. If not restart into Download mode and flash again or flash the stock rom.

Before you flash:
    • You need the latest TWRP recovery (see links above). Otherwise TWRP might not be able to flash the ROM.
    • Wipe the device to avoid problems with remaining files from the old installation (see instructions below). This also applies if you already installed an older version of CM 12.1.

Flash CyanogenMod:
    • Reboot into recovery mode (Press Volume-Up + Home + Power button)
    • If you come from a stock ROM, this is your opportunity to make a Backup of your phone(Backup, then select Boot, System, Data, then swipe to backup). Note that the recovery might fail to restore the backup when you want to go back to the stock ROM (for me it got stuck after a restore during boot. But the backup was made with a different version of TWRP, so it might work in general) - simply do not expect too much of it at the moment.
    • If you haven't copied the installation files yet, you can now copy the GApps and CyanogenMod zip to your internal sd or external sd (be careful not to put the files into the data directory of the internal sd card as this will be deleted in the next step). Be sure that MTP is enabled (inside Mounts, click on Enable MTP), then, from your pc, copy the files. If MTP does not work from recovery, try it directly from Android or remove the external sd card from the phone and put it into your PC.
    • Wipe Dalvik Cache, Cache, System and Data (inside Wipe -> Advanced Wipe). Do not report problems if you did not wipe those partitions as the problems are most probably related to this!
    • Install the CM 12.1 ROM zip-package
    • Install the GApps zip-package
    • Reboot the system and enjoy a Lollipop

How to root:
    No SuperSu is needed as CyanogenMod already comes with integrated root support. Root access is disabled by default.
    You normally do not need root access. If you want to activate root access for apps, do the following:
    • Open the Settings menu, select "About Phone"
    • Tap on the "Build number" entry seven times. You should be notified, that the developer settings are now active.
    • Open the Settings menu, select "Developer options". Enable root access by selecting "Apps" in the "Root-Access" setting.

• Reboot your phone into Odin mode
    • Open Odin on your PC and connect your smartphone with your PC via USB
    • If you have a zip-file unzip it so that you have a .tar.md5 file
    • In Odin click on the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file. Then press "Start".
    • Normally the stock rom fails to boot as the data from CM12 is still on the data partition. So after flashing the stock rom, reboot into recovery mode (it looks a bit different now). First wipe the data partition, then wipe the cache.
    • Reboot

Changelog
    Code:
    09/08/2015:
    *Update kernel to T235XXU1AOD1
    *Synchronize with newest CM 12.1 sources (contains stagefright patches)
    *Fixed black screen on minimal brightness
    12/07/2015:
    * Charging animation in standby-mode fixed
    11/07/2015:
    * Update to newest CyanogenMod sources (LMY48G)
    * Left touchkey working now (configured as App-Switch button)
    * Camera Preview working (saving a picture might still crash)
    30/06/2015:
    * Image sizes reduced to fix "unable to mount /system" problems
    28/06/2015:
    * Initial test-build

This section is for developers:
    A README file with build instructions can be found here:
    https://github.com/cm-3470/patcher_degaslte

Sources:
    Code:
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_degaslte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_vendor_samsung_degaslte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_kernel_samsung_degaslte
    https://github.com/cm-3470/android_device_samsung_smdk3470-common

Developers welcome
    • Help from other developers is always welcome. See the bug/feature section and this thread to see what is missing. Just give some short info (here in this thread or PM) that you want to work on some issue or feature so that work can be synchronized. Maybe there are also other devs that want to work with you on the same issue.
    • Knowledge in how the kernel works and good programming skills in C, C++ and Java would be nice but not necessary for all problems. At least you should be able to build the ROM and test your changes yourself but you do not need experience in porting ROMs.

XDA:DevDB Information
    [T235][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for T235(Y) [Alpha 09/08/2015], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 4

Contributors
    hennymcc
    Source Code: https://github.com/cm-3470

ROM OS Version: 5.1.x Lollipop
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: TWRP Recovery [version from 09/08/2015]
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information

Created 2015-06-29
    Last Updated 2015-09-24
    A new (untested) build is available:
    CM 12.1 ROM: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347790522
    Recovery: https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24052804347790541

Changelog:
    • Update kernel to T235XXU1AOD1
    • Synchronize with newest CM 12.1 sources (contains stagefright patches)
    • Fixed black screen on minimal brightness

Same disclaimer as before:
    As this is untested, bricking your device is possible. It is also possible that the ROM does not boot at all.
    Report problems in this forum.

Stock Roms on Android File Host (quicker, free-er host site than Sammobile)
    @interstellar22 did you try wiping cache after you restored, before you booted?
    after a few days of testing, here are the results:

- Receiving and making calls (works)
    - Hardware sensors: Light (no), Orientation (yes), Compass (unknown), Proximity (no), Acceleration (unknown)
    - Audio (works)
    - Bluetooth (audio in HFP seems to be distorted with at least some headset devices): works with bt-speakers
    - Wifi (works)
    - USB-OTG: Keyboard (unknown), Mouse (unknown), USB-Audio (unknown), Mass-Storage (works)
    - Camera (no, also with other camera apps)
    - MTP storage (works)
    - GPS (works)
    - Hall sensor (there is no hall sensor i think)
    - SELinux (deactivated)
    - button for last apps not working

sub77
    tab 4 Gpio keys:

key 115 VOLUME_UP
    key 114 VOLUME_DOWN
    key 172 HOME
    key 116 POWER
    key 158 BACK
    key 254 APP_SWITCH
    good news! new recovery and system image works! very smooth so far, searching for bugs now. the only one i found are the extended settings option. it doesn't work but thats no problem for me. thank you very much!

Gesendet von meinem One M8