FORUMS

SM-T235 / SM-T235Y Tab 4 7" - ROOTED - TWRP Recovery 2.8.7 for SM-T235/235Y (LTE)

98 posts
Thanks Meter: 97

By TopTongueBarry, Member on 10th February 2015, 01:10 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
UPDATED 7/30/2015 with OFFICIAL TWRP 2.8.7 for Galaxy Tab 4.7.0 SM-T235(Y) DEVICES

As with other TWRP's for newer Samsung devices, you need to uncheck auto-reboot and F.Reset time in Odin so you can manually shut down the device and boot into recovery the first time after flashing the custom recovery. If you don't boot into the custom recovery immediately after flashing it to the device, then the OS will overwrite it with the factory recovery and you'll need to start over.

DISCLAIMER :
While we all love to flash new things, You and You alone can choose or choose not to flash this custom recovery.
I am not liable for any of the following : Bricks, Soft Bricks, Meltdowns, loss of data, or damage to your device.

DISCLAIMER #2:
THIS RECOVERY WILL TRIP YOUR KNOX COUNTER - YOUR WARRANTY WILL BE VOID.
THIS RECOVERY IS ONLY FOR SM-T235 and SM-T235Y Tab 4 7" LTE Devices

INSTRUCTIONS
1). Download Odin3v1.85.zip, recovery.tar.md5.zip, and UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip - all attached

2). Unzip Odin3v1.85.zip placing the extracted folder somewhere on your PC you can find and execute Odin3 from later.

3). Store UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip somewhere on your SM-T235's external SD storage where you can find it from TWRP later.

4). Unzip recovery.tar.md5.zip placing the extracted file recovery.tar.md5 somewhere on your PC you can find it from Odin3 later.

5). Put SM-T235 tablet in Download Mode (Power Button+Volume Down+Home Button)

6). Flash recovery.tar.md5 using Odin3 v1.85 - use PDA/AP button in Odin - UNCHECK Auto-Reboot and F.Reset Time

7). When flashing is completed you will see RESET displayed in Odin3.

8). Unplug your SM-T235/SM-T235Y from the PC and press (Power Button+Volume Down+Home Button) to initiate a restart/reboot - Don't release your fingers from the buttons.

9). IMPORTANT: AS SOON AS THE DEVICE POWERS DOWN (screen goes blank) MOVE YOUR FINGER FROM THE VOLUME DOWN BUTTON TO THE VOLUME UP BUTTON WHILE STILL PRESSING THE POWER BUTTON+HOME BUTTON.

10). IMPORTANT: AS SOON AS THE SAMSUNG SM-T235 LOGO APPEARS (White Letters) RELEASE YOUR FINGER FROM THE POWER BUTTON WHILE CONTINUING TO PRESS VOLUME UP+HOME BUTTON (If the animated Samsung Logo appears, then you missed Recovery mode and will need to start the entire process over from the beginning.

11). IMPORTANT: If you timed your finger pressing and releasing properly, you should now SEE the blue TEAMWIN splash screen which means you are entering TWRP recovery.

12). Once in TWRP Recovery, you will see a button that says Install. Tap on it.

13). Find UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip where you previously stored it on your external SD card and install/flash it to your SM-T235/235Y using TWRP.

14). Once installation of UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip is completed, you can proceed to reboot your SM-T235/T235Y from the TWRP main menu.

15). After the device finishes booting up, your Galaxy Tab 4 7.0" SM-T235/T235Y will be rooted.

16.) Download and run RootChecker to verify root.

CREDITS:
hennymcc - [T235][ROM][5.1.1][LMY48G] CyanogenMod 12.1 for T235(Y) [Alpha 12/07/2015]
RVR - TWRP 2.8.1 for the Galaxy S5 Mini (G800F)
Chainfire - UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46
A.S._id - Odin3 ROM Editor
A.S._Dev - android_img_repack_tools
Attached Files
File Type: zip odin3v1.85.zip - [Click for QR Code] (194.1 KB, 23860 views)
File Type: zip UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip - [Click for QR Code] (3.83 MB, 33010 views)
File Type: zip recovery.tar.md5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (8.61 MB, 35536 views)
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to TopTongueBarry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TopTongueBarry Ad-Free
10th February 2015, 07:58 PM |#2  
OP Member

More
My friends,
I still could use some radio help. ...
TTB

SM-T235 Tab 4 7" LTE ROOTED - TWRP 2.8.1 for the SM-T235/T235Y Tab 4 7" LTE

TWRP 2.8.1 installed on SM-T235

Rooted SM-T235 (LTE)

TWRP Splash screen on SM-T235 (LTE)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TopTongueBarry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TopTongueBarry Ad-Free
10th February 2015, 08:02 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Reserved
10th February 2015, 11:34 PM |#4  
Flag Chicopee
Thanks Meter: 1,956

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry

Also reserved

IT IS SO NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE TO WORK ON ANY THREAD OR POSTING ON THIS SITE. I LOST EVERYTHING I I WAS TRYINGTO UPDATE THIS THREAD WITH D/L LINKS, BUT THE VIDEO ADVERTISEMENTS JUST KILL IE. REPEATEDLY. WHY SO MANY VIDEO ADS, IMPOSSIBLE TO ENJOY AN XDA EXPERIENCE BECAUSE THE HUGE VIDEO ADS JUST CRAWL MY SYSTEM.

THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN A T235 RECOVERY ROOT HERE TODAY BUT THE ADS KILLED MY SESSIONS. I WROTE INSTRUCTIONS AND HAD EVERYTHING READY. THE LONGER IT TAKES TO POST A TOPIC AND INSTRUCTIONS THE MORE BEFUDDLED UP IE GETS UNTIL IT CRASHES.
OH WELL I CANNOT SPEND ANY MORE TIME TODAY HERE. HAVE TO GET BACK TO WORK. SO MUCH FOR GIVING YOU THE D/L's DURING LUNCH BREAK, BUT MAYBE TONIGHT, MAYBE NOT. IM TOO FRUSTRATED AND UPSET THAT I LOST ALL THAT WRITING AND WORK HERE TODAY. WE'LL SEE HOW QUICKLY I GET OVER IT , THEN YOU'LL GET YOUR RECOVERY ROOT.

That really blows, I feel your pain. I use chrome on my desktop with the adblock extension (I think it's even available for IE now) and I find the -- XDA 2013 theme for the website is much more aesthetically appealing and easier to navigate
The Following User Says Thank You to thisisapoorusernamechoice For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thisisapoorusernamechoice Ad-Free
11th February 2015, 03:10 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thumbs up
It works! Changing of buttons is kinda tricky though, but its all good.. Thanks alot!
11th February 2015, 11:18 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisapoorusernamechoice

That really blows, I feel your pain. I use chrome on my desktop with the adblock extension (I think it's even available for IE now) and I find the -- XDA 2013 theme for the website is much more aesthetically appealing and easier to navigate

Thanks for the tip. I added the adblock plug in. My XDA experience is much improved. Thanks!

TTB
The Following User Says Thank You to TopTongueBarry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TopTongueBarry Ad-Free
11th February 2015, 11:50 AM |#7  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay018

It works! Changing of buttons is kinda tricky though, but its all good.. Thanks alot!

Confirming what you posted in the old thread, that your device is a SM-T235Y ?
Glad it works.
The T235Y has different factory ROMS on sammobile than the T235. Differences include CSC groupings, and configured radio bands, but the kernel and the partitions are the same as the T235. I suspect that's why this recovery works for the T235Y too.

- Speaking of which, can anybody point me in the direction of a way to get past the hurdles Samsung has added to block the ability to reconfigure LTE radio bands
- If we need to change the CSC's or CSC group to be able to enable LTE Bands 4 and 17, well, Sammy's making that tough to do too.
- Wondering if I can flash the modem firmware from the S5 Mini on the Tab 4 7" LTE using TWRP?
- Then wondering if bands 4 and 17 would be available after flashing since the CSC's play such a role in which radio band's get configured on each device.
Any help with the radio would be greatly appreciated.

TTB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TopTongueBarry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TopTongueBarry Ad-Free
11th February 2015, 12:38 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry

Confirming what you posted in the old thread, that your device is a SM-T235Y ?
Glad it works.
The T235Y has different factory ROMS on sammobile than the T235. Differences include CSC groupings, and configured radio bands, but the kernel and the partitions are the same as the T235. I suspect that's why this recovery works for the T235Y too.

Yes it's T235Y.. You can add T235Y in your title so other users will know.. Yes it has different ROM so I hesitated at first. Just need a couple of beer to do it, lol. Thanks a lot for this recovery.
11th February 2015, 06:00 PM |#9  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 29

More
My friend....Congratulations...I have tried any method known to Google to root this tablet. Yours was the only one that worked. I have been waiting for this moment from November so thank you for making my day.
12th February 2015, 12:38 PM |#10  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 68

More
Success!!

I played fingers just like over my guitar fingerboard, haha! Then, suddenly, I was in face of TWRP face!

First of all: install SD fix!

Infinity thanks to TopTongueBarry and his brilliant idea!
12th February 2015, 07:44 PM |#11  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftnoon2

Success!!

I played fingers just like over my guitar fingerboard, haha! Then, suddenly, I was in face of TWRP face!

First of all: install SD fix!

Infinity thanks to TopTongueBarry and his brilliant idea!

SD gets fixed if you flash a newer factory ROM than the 5/22 NE8 version. You will need to reinstall TWRP and re root.

TWRP installation and root tested and found to be working no matter which ROM you are running, including the latest version, NJ3

TTB

P.S. After rooting, KNOX can be disabled using ES Task Manager and it doesn't respawn, remains disabled. I'm toying with this in an attempt to get service mode changes to the available LTE bands to stick.

P.S.S ... I'll be releasing either ALPHA 2 or BETA 1 with the Slide to install SuperSU fixed and the missing advanced menu items added later this week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TopTongueBarry For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TopTongueBarry Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
sm-t235 root, twrp 2.8.1

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)