Magnetic charging/data cable

Search This thread

lu99ke

Aug 20, 2014
Newcastle
Does it transfer data as well? Or only charge? And I assume that it charges at same speed as the normal cable? ( I know it says it does on the ad but wondering if real world experience is the same as their claim )

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app

thoots

Oct 14, 2014
How often have you tried to put the plug in upside-down in the dark? Apple's any-way-up approach is so good, but politics and infighting has worked against us, the consumers.

Actually, USB Type C is an either-way-up connector, and it is "here now." I'm actually quite disappointed that the S2 tablets don't have it -- I presume it was "by choice" from Samsung, as I sure expect it was available when they were designing the things.

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
This magnetic cable is a anyway up solution, and if anyone is asking, anyway way up micro USB are available on the market.

skift

Dec 1, 2014
I was going to try the one you linked in the OP but it said it only ships to europe. Are there any reliable places to get it in the US? Or on amazon?

skift

Dec 1, 2014
I ordered mine off amazon the other day from the same company. It doesnt charge very fast. When connected to my mabbook pro with both data enabled and disabled, the highest charge rate I could get was 160mAh. When connected to a usb hub that was powered, I managed to get up to 200mAh. And when connected to a wall outlet, it maxed out at 450 but averaged about 350-400mAh.

On the same connections, with a known good cable im easily able to get 500mAh, 700mAh, and 1200mAh respectively.

So despite the build quality, in that I was actually fairly surprised that it was pretty good, I can't say I will buy another one. As cool as it is, I have too many other cables that charge much better.

lu99ke

Aug 20, 2014
Newcastle
I ordered mine off amazon the other day from the same company. It doesnt charge very fast. When connected to my mabbook pro with both data enabled and disabled, the highest charge rate I could get was 160mAh. When connected to a usb hub that was powered, I managed to get up to 200mAh. And when connected to a wall outlet, it maxed out at 450 but averaged about 350-400mAh.

On the same connections, with a known good cable im easily able to get 500mAh, 700mAh, and 1200mAh respectively.

So despite the build quality, in that I was actually fairly surprised that it was pretty good, I can't say I will buy another one. As cool as it is, I have too many other cables that charge much better.

Tha ks for the detailed update.!!

Sent from my D6653 using XDA Free mobile app

kms108

Sep 16, 2007

I haven't tried charging through a PC, although I know it will be slower, but using a good adapter you will get a good charging speed.

If I'm correct charging the S2 through a mac, you should get a X on the battery indicator, which means it's not compatible, that's why it's slow, it's not the cables problem.
The S2 is very picky on it's power source, try the supplied power adapter, I'm sure you will get full speed just like I have.

Reactions: toenail_flicker

wirelesskebab

Mar 2, 2016
hey, does anyone know of a magnetic adapter that will work with preexisting micro usb cables for the s2? I already bought a fairly expensive premium cord before reading this topic. I tried looking at ebay and amazon but it isn't clear if they're for a specific type of phone or not. thanks!

Shofar1

Aug 13, 2010
A thought

If you use OTG to either put in video or something else then I would think that the magnetic will be a minus not a plus.

The fact that it saves wear and tear on the USB port becomes a minus if you have to take the adapter out to use OTG or a memory stick.

What sayest thou?

Shofar1

gmaugham

Mar 31, 2006
If you use OTG to either put in video or something else then I would think that the magnetic will be a minus not a plus.

The fact that it saves wear and tear on the USB port becomes a minus if you have to take the adapter out to use OTG or a memory stick.

What sayest thou?

Shofar1
I ended up removing the adapter because I needed to start using an OTG drive and the adapter specifically says it is not designed to be regularly inserted and removed, not that I would want to do that.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Themetnut

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
These have been release slightly under 2 weeks ago, and works pretty good with normal USB cable, not those reversible micro USB.

bgxugi.jpg

2el5eyw.jpg

easyguyevo

Jan 28, 2021
I got my magnetic data cable from nu wave. It fast charges as well as transfers data no reversing needed lol. They use a 7 pin connect for high speed data transfer. Also I should add these are high quality magnetic charging cables as well been using mine for quite a while no issues

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just purchased 2 set of these newly released magnet cable, they have them on kickstarter stating they design these, and still on for backing, whiles they are already out on the market sold by a few brands, I only got the cable one's, but they are available as a adapter to connect to your existing supplied cable, they have them for micro USB, type C 3.1 and lightning.

Two plug comes in one package with the cable version, not sure about the adapter one's, but I will also get one or two to try out, the adapter version is from another company and it's a different shape, so they are not compatible with each other.

Update: The connection is reversible for charging, for data transfer, the light must face up position.

2ldivzc.jpg

10db478.jpg

qyvn13.jpg
    EDIT: Never mind, My S1 microusb port is angled not flat like on the S2.

I would not mind getting one of these, can you get them from ebay? got a link.

thanks

John.

Even if it is slightly angled, it will still work, I have it on my nokia (flat) and S4 mini (slightly curved) and works very well, charging and data works well.

jthspace has posted a link and I think there are a few selling them on Ebay, you have to choose the first generation or second generation.

first generation normal USB end plastic/magnet end metal, just white light power indicator.

second generation normal USB metal/magnetic end metal, white light power indicator/red fast charge/green slow charge.

I have the first generation which is enough for me.

I will soon buy the adapter only with microUSB and USB type C.
    Mine arrived today. Fitting the USB piece - it pushes in and then you have to give it a firm shove and it clicks into place almost flush with the bottom of the Tab. There is a special tool to remove the fitting if you need to in the future. The magnet is very similar to the way the Macbook charger fits, you can feel the magnet pulling together then it gives a quiet audible click as it mates. It hold well, I was using the tab whilst it was charging and when I gave a firm tug, the lead broke away as it should. This will definitely take some of the wear and tear away from the socket. How often have you tried to put the plug in upside-down in the dark? Apple's any-way-up approach is so good, but politics and infighting has worked against us, the consumers. I have Apple kit as well.

The cable seems to be good quality and is supple, not like some of the cheaper cables that kink and knot all on their own (infested with a curse from the cable gremlin, maybe?). This one uncurles and is straight and flexible - nice. People say the LED is too bright, I have not seen it at night yet, but my kit charges in a different room than I sleep in, so it wont worry me.

The Xcable came with one cable and two USB adapters but the Tab is the only kit I have with the micro USB charge socket (other than a pair of Blueio ear buds but the plug is almost a third of the size of the headphone control box so would look out of place). It would be good to be able to buy spare cables, without the adapters, but I haven't found a source.

Overall, a very worthwhile and useful accessory - one that should be on everyones's list of add-ons, in my opinion.

Jeff

What sayest thou?

Shofar1
    I ended up removing the adapter because I needed to start using an OTG drive and the adapter specifically says it is not designed to be regularly inserted and removed, not that I would want to do that.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk