FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Netflix HD on tab s2

52 posts
Thanks Meter: 21

By Rhala, Member on 19th December 2015, 10:27 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is anyone of you getting Netflix in HD in your tab s2? I installed the app and realised it only supports 480p streaming which is really poor on this screen... I know it has something to do with widevine drm certification, but I don't see why the tab s2 shouldn't when the note 4 with the exynos 5433 gets hd Netflix... The tab s definitely supports it, do you know if this will be upgraded later? Kind of a deal breaker for me because 480p videos are awful on 10 inch tablets .

Chenxiaolong has found a solution to it posting his instructions here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...5&postcount=12 feel free to hit the thanks button for letting us all know.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T810 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rhala Ad-Free

30th December 2015, 06:37 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
I also have Netflix on my S2 and it streams and shows beautifully in HD. Do you have HD enabled in your subscription? The standard subscription (in Germany) is not HD as far as I know. I have HD enabled with 2 simultaneous devices and it works beautifully.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fritzy62 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fritzy62 Ad-Free
31st December 2015, 04:21 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Aachen

More
Thanks for your reply! Yeah we even have the 4 devices plan because my while family uses Netflix. Are you on 5.0.2 or on 5.1.1? Did you confirm that it was really HD? You can See it by watching this Video: Check out "Example Short 23.976" on Netflix
www.netflix.com/title/70136810?source=android
Which bitrate and Resolution do you get?
1st January 2016, 01:39 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 186

More
USA, my plan is 2 screens + HD.
SM-T810 with 5.1.1
Bitrate: 1750 kbps
Resolution: 720 x 480

The Following User Says Thank You to danyvw For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift danyvw Ad-Free
1st January 2016, 01:55 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Aachen

More
Yeah that's what I thought. That's the standard resolution Netflix supports on every android device, while 1080p and 720p are the actual hd resolutions. I know it has something to do with Drm certification, which could be just a ROM thing or it could actually be something hardware specific.
The content providers which give Netflix the rights to stream their series want certain Drm technology like widevine, hdcp etc. to protect their content from piracy, which depends on the hardware to support decoding and encoding the content viewed but also on the libraries as I understand which are implemented in the ROM. So I thought ok, this is a new flagship tablet looking to contend with the ipad air 2, it should support HD streaming, but since I don't know much about the exynos 5433 and whether it is a ROM or software issue, I thought maybe they added support in 5.1.1, which doesn't seem to be the case

Gesendet von meinem SM-T810 mit Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Rhala For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rhala Ad-Free
1st January 2016, 05:15 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 186

More
Agree with you 100%

11th January 2016, 08:22 AM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Aachen

More
So after researching a little more, I realized even Google play movies doesn't show hd, although the drm info app shows the tab s2 supports widevine L1. It has to be the unlocked bootloader that keeps Netflix from certifying. Is there a way to make it seem like the bootloader is locked, or is it even possible to lock the bootloader on the tab s2?
18th January 2016, 07:35 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
HD works fine here. Watch loads of Netflix and Amazon prime. Both show in HD.

18th January 2016, 08:04 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Aachen

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzy62

HD works fine here. Watch loads of Netflix and Amazon prime. Both show in HD.

Did you check with the Video link above? What resolutions do you get? Is your tab S2 locked through a carrier?
25th January 2016, 10:14 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Aachen

More
searched a little on the internet and found this: http://mbox.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=403
someone with his rooted tab s2 mind adding this property to his build.prop, rebooting and checking if GPlay Movies or Netflix then goes HD?
26th January 2016, 08:29 PM |#11  
Flag Ooltewah
Thanks Meter: 2,443

Donate to Me
More
This device is more than able to run HD video on netflix and hulu. However I ran across an issue where I had to delete the following file for hulu to work at all. Worth a try for those of you who are rooted. Just make a backup first.

I deleted this file and hulu works.
/system/lib/liboemcrypt.so
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBot96 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BigBot96 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)