General Rooting Questions

Search This thread

jckelsall

Jan 22, 2014
I have the LTE version of the tablet (SM-T725 running android 10 (fully up to date), UK). The device is (so far) unmodified. It was bought through Vodafone, but has never had a network lock.

To give a general overview of my experience, I have rooted the majority of my android devices in the past, but this is my first Samsung device for a several years.

I have a few questions, I hope someone can answer them.

1 - Will unlocking the bootloader and installing this kernel(https://xdaforums.com/tab-s5e/development/kernel-luiskernel-gts4lvwifi-gts4lvlte-t3977343), twrp, and magisk, result in any features being lost? (Dex, HDMI, USB OTG storage, HD netflix, anything relating to knox, good lock, etc.)

1A - If any features will be lost, is it possible to restore them through, for example, a magisk module, and if so, which ones?

2 - Are there any apps I should expect to stop working completely?

3 - Is it possible to backup the tablet's data prior to unlocking the bootloader in a way that allows it all to be restored after installing the kernel/twrp/magisk?

4 - Is there anything else I should know before unlocking the bootloader and installing the kernel/twrp/magisk?

5 - How will future system updates work? Obviously OTA is out of the question, but what other methods are available, and are there any downsides?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help in answering these questions.