FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

NEW Samsung Tab S5e 10.5inch AMOLED with Android 9 Pie

251 posts
Thanks Meter: 44

By DaWeav, Senior Member on 15th February 2019, 02:12 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Finally, something to upgrade from my original Android 6 Tab S 10.5! I'm guessing this quick Tab S5e release so soon after the Tab S4 is probably because the Tab S4 hasn't been a big hit. I also believe the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor is definitely an upgrade from the Tab S4 anyway. I just don't see where they put the fingerprint sensor. Is it in the same place as the Tab S1 10.5, or is it in the place where the Tab S2 and Tab S3 have it. Anyway, I'm standing by for this one to be available.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-...ae00ef0a1c0e14

Update: Apparently the fingerprint sensor in in the side power button. Interesting...

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to DaWeav For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DaWeav Ad-Free
15th February 2019, 07:28 PM |#2  
Flag Barcelona
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWeav

Finally, something to upgrade from my original Android 6 Tab S 10.5! I'm guessing this quick Tab S5e release so soon after the Tab S4 is probably because the Tab S4 hasn't been a big hit. I also believe the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor is definitely an upgrade from the Tab S4 anyway. I just don't see where they put the fingerprint sensor. Is it in the same place as the Tab S1 10.5, or is it in the place where the Tab S2 and Tab S3 have it. Anyway, I'm standing by for this one to be available.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-...ae00ef0a1c0e14

Update: Apparently the fingerprint sensor in in the side power button. Interesting...

If it were not for the provision of cameras in vertical format it would be a good option.
15th February 2019, 09:45 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
This looks to be on my list. Have been looking at the S4 but at odds with the price. Fingers crossed it ticks all the boxes (camera position not an issue for me) and can get a keyboard for it and i will probably go for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to stigslim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stigslim Ad-Free
15th February 2019, 10:12 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
But it has no headphone jack. Blah. I'd rather wait and buy a used Tab S4 than reward Samsung bean counters for such stupid behavior.
15th February 2019, 11:53 PM |#5  
Flag Barcelona

More
I am happy with my tabs t800, the motherboard is starting to fail but for $ 40 on AliExpress I have a tablet for 4 more years 😂
16th February 2019, 12:37 AM |#6  

More
I have to admit, i have had my T800 since pretty much launch. Its been used daily and took everything i have thrown at it (and it still does). Makes me wonder if a brand new S4 would offer the same?. Its one of those products that never really gets matched, so a good replacement is probably pie in the sky. Nothing lasts forever.

GuestD0578
16th February 2019, 02:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Does the Tab S5e have UFS or eMMC storage?

I have the Tab S 8.4"; and I was looking for a larger device: Tab S4 is too expensive for 4G ram. I was wondering if I should wait for this to come out or get a refurbished Tab S 10.5 from Amazon.
16th February 2019, 03:23 AM |#8  
Flag Barcelona

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigslim

I have to admit, i have had my T800 since pretty much launch. Its been used daily and took everything i have thrown at it (and it still does). Makes me wonder if a brand new S4 would offer the same?. Its one of those products that never really gets matched, so a good replacement is probably pie in the sky. Nothing lasts forever.

In my case I do not plan to change it, if one day I die I change the motherboard .. it is easy to change and cheap ($ 40), also when the developers fix the camera failure lineageos we will have 15.1 and 16. I now have RRemix 7.1.2 and I'm perfect.

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhamkar

Does the Tab S5e have UFS or eMMC storage?

I have the Tab S 8.4"; and I was looking for a larger device: Tab S4 is too expensive for 4G ram. I was wondering if I should wait for this to come out or get a refurbished Tab S 10.5 from Amazon.

I should have UFS .. But I would not even think about it ... precisely the big problem with the tabs is the failure in the EMMC.
16th February 2019, 11:22 AM |#9  

More
The only real issue i have with my Tab S is performance. Still running everything as stock, would you recommend Rooting and a custom Rom?. stick to what i have if i can make it a bit sharper, just seems a bit tired.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lytoh

In my case I do not plan to change it, if one day I die I change the motherboard .. it is easy to change and cheap ($ 40), also when the developers fix the camera failure lineageos we will have 15.1 and 16. I now have RRemix 7.1.2 and I'm perfect.

---------- Post added at 03:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 AM ----------

I should have UFS .. But I would not even think about it ... precisely the big problem with the tabs is the failure in the EMMC.

Sorry for the repost, just curious as to what you think?

GuestD0578
16th February 2019, 11:27 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

The only real issue i have with my Tab S is performance. Still running everything as stock, would you recommend Rooting and a custom Rom?. stick to what i have if i can make it a bit sharper, just seems a bit tired.

My performance issues stemmed from Firefox. I replaced it with a Chromium-based browser - Brave Browser specifically - and I'm good with interactive-1.3GHz.

You can try rooting, uninstalling the bloat (Knox, Hancom, Kids Mode and some more), tweak your Low Memory Killer (the default LMK for Marshmallow keeps a significant ram unused). When you occasionally need high performance, you can change the cpu governer to performance, or userspace with 900Hz as low. Note that both of these will consume a ton of battery when the device is idle.

In my experience, I tried Nougat custom ROM, but still preferred the stability (Xodo in particular) and camera of the stock ROM, besides the fact that the stock rom rotates the screen in under 2 sec, while custom ROMs require about 3 sec for screen rotation.

I also discovered that if you have the exynos chipset with BIG.little, then the per-clock performance (and overall power consumption) of the BIG cores is about 50% more than the little cores. And I am currently happy with the little cores alone! It's also the case, that I keep the device plugged in like a laptop. So, the device isn't going to get out-dated any time in the next 2 years either, for the basic use cases of reading and browsing!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Ad-Free
16th February 2019, 03:03 PM |#11  
Flag Barcelona

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhamkar

My performance issues stemmed from Firefox. I replaced it with a Chromium-based browser - Brave Browser specifically - and I'm good with interactive-1.3GHz.

You can try rooting, uninstalling the bloat (Knox, Hancom, Kids Mode and some more), tweak your Low Memory Killer (the default LMK for Marshmallow keeps a significant ram unused). When you occasionally need high performance, you can change the cpu governer to performance, or userspace with 900Hz as low. Note that both of these will consume a ton of battery when the device is idle.

In my experience, I tried Nougat custom ROM, but still preferred the stability (Xodo in particular) and camera of the stock ROM, besides the fact that the stock rom rotates the screen in under 2 sec, while custom ROMs require about 3 sec for screen rotation.

I also discovered that if you have the exynos chipset with BIG.little, then the per-clock performance (and overall power consumption) of the BIG cores is about 50% more than the little cores. And I am currently happy with the little cores alone! It's also the case, that I keep the device plugged in like a laptop. So, the device isn't going to get out-dated any time in the next 2 years either, for the basic use cases of reading and browsing!

I do not have any problem with the rotation in nougat .. and I use the Gcam for the photos I do not return to the stock ROM to me it goes better to me nougat in every way .. battery, performance etc.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 AM ----------

Sorry for the repost, just curious as to what you think?

What do I think about lineage 15 and 16? has been said by the developers that are working on it (darkexistance)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy-tab-s5e

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)