FORUMS

exFAT and NTFS drivers for Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 - a solution!

259 posts
Thanks Meter: 47

By Lurker0, Senior Member on 3rd June 2015, 05:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I own Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 830L, firmware "upgraded" to 830LC, rooted. I've tested the provided solution only on it, though it should work on other models, and maybe even on other devices.

I've built exFAT and ntfs-3g drivers from the most resent sources, and made a shell script, to auto-mount a microSD at the system start. Root and SuperSU are required. Currently, the installation is manual. The project is here:

https://github.com/Lurker00/Android-fs/releases

Please read the description I've written, at least "How to mount?" section, and, of course, the disclaimer.

Edit: Now it has a CWM/TWRP installation zip for easy use!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lurker0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lurker0 Ad-Free
5th June 2015, 08:51 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 256

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker0

I own Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 830L, firmware "upgraded" to 830LC, rooted. I've tested the provided solution only on it, though it should work on other models, and maybe even on other devices.

I've built exFAT and ntfs-3g drivers from the most resent sources, and made a shell script, to auto-mount a microSD at the system start. Root and SuperSU are required. Currently, the installation is manual. The project is here:

Please read the description I've written, at least "How to mount?" section, and, of course, the disclaimer.

Thanks a lot for putting effort into this! I haven't tried it yet, but I'd suggest to create an app/APK which installs the files necessary and which features some buttons for mounting and unmounting. A CWM package is not such a good idea due to the fact that we have only temporary CWM and hence installing would still be a bit painful. This app could be something like a Yoga tablet 2 toolkit, which could maybe even include my sharpness fix
9th June 2015, 11:47 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
I've created CWM/TWRP installation zip with exFAT and NTFS drivers, and mounting script. It can be downloaded from here:

Now, if you have rooted your Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 (any screen size), and have SuperSU installed, just download UPDATE-android-fs-1.0.1-install.zip, install the same way, and start using exFAT (strongly recommended!) or NTFS (not recommended!) microSD.

To safely unmount for hot unplug, use Android settings. For mount after hot plug, better to reboot your tablet.

Note: the microSD file system is checked before mounting, and, if errors are found, it is mounted as read-only. So, if you find out that you can't write to the microSD, safely remove it and check (allowing to fix errors) it under Windows. It is strongly recommended to check and fix under Windows, because both exFAT and NTFS are produced by Microsoft, and no open source software is able to correct the file system errors correctly!

I have Yoga Tablet 2 8''. But the installation zip contains binary files for a number of platforms, and may work on other Lenovo Android devices. Being manually installed, the drivers are confirmed to work on:

Lenovo Vibe Z2 Pro
Lenovo Vibe Z2
Lenovo S90

so I see no a reason why they will not work being installed via recovery console.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lurker0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lurker0 Ad-Free
9th June 2015, 04:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 70

More
Thumbs up
I almost thought my Yoga 2-850F is broken as it was impossible to mount or format any micro SD card. Even when I tried formatting the card with my android phone using various file systems (i.e. exfat, ext4 etc.), I would always get an error. Finally, just flashing the zip did the trick. Thanks for the script!
10th June 2015, 12:58 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
I've updated the drivers to version 1.0.2:
1. One more supolicy rule added to the mounting script. Without it, unmount from Android Settings didn't work.

I didn't put per-platform binaries this time, because the recovery zip contains them all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lurker0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lurker0 Ad-Free
12th June 2015, 01:59 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
I'm sorry for so frequent updates, but
exFAT/NTFS fuse drivers binaries for Android v1.0.3

The problem is that the original exFAT driver was designed to update the file system only at unmount events, but the current Android never unmounts microSD mounted not by Android's vold process Meaning, file system corruption may happen on a reboot or power off.

Version 1.0.2 partially addresses that issue, and is stable enough. Only freshly created directories can be damaged by a reboot, and only if there were no any file operations after that, i.e. a rare case. Version 1.0.3 ensures that the file system is kept consistent almost always. It can be damaged only by removing microSD card during write operation.

Nevertheless, I plan to make at least one more release, to keep microSD clean, when there are no pending writes. Also, I'd try to improve the write performance compared to 1.0.3, without a penalty of the file system consistency.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lurker0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lurker0 Ad-Free
22nd June 2015, 08:47 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
I just have released
exFAT/NTFS fuse drivers binaries for Android v1.0.4
and I can say I'm quite satisfied with both performance and robustness of the resulting exFAT driver (no changes were made to ntfs-3g). So, I believe, it is the final build for a while.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lurker0 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lurker0 Ad-Free
11th July 2015, 06:47 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Worked perfect.

Tested and working perfect:

Tablet: Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro Android 4.4
Micro SD: Lexar 128GB (633x) Formatted to exFAT

I flashed it via temp recovery and did a reboot from recovery. Then shut down the tablet and put the exFAT card in. Booted up and not so much as a whisper. The system recognised and mounted the card without any problems.

Thanks again for your hard work.

Now to find a custom ROM. I think I've got more chance of finding rocking horse s**t than a ROM for my tablet though
13th October 2015, 06:57 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello,
Thanks fort the work.
I have got a lenovo yoga tab 2 1050F updated tout lollipop and rooted.
Can you tell US if it is works with both KitKat ans lollipop?
Can you détail the installing methode?
Thanks in advance.
13th October 2015, 07:54 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag Moscow

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalachnikos

Hello,
Thanks fort the work.
I have got a lenovo yoga tab 2 1050F updated tout lollipop and rooted.
Can you tell US if it is works with both KitKat ans lollipop?
Can you détail the installing methode?
Thanks in advance.

I didn't upgrade to Lollipop myself, and I don't want to.

The driver and the mounting script are reported to work under Lollipop, but, for auto-mount on boot, they rely on /system/etc/install-recovery.sh script modified by SuperSU to launch with required privileges on system boot, which is not the case for Lollipop. It works flawlessly under Kitkat though.

You can find the detailed instructions at the github place from the link above. It's as easy as to root.
2nd November 2015, 03:09 PM |#11  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hi,

Should this work on the Tab 2 A10-70, which has ARMv8 (Cortex-A53, MT8165 chipset)?

Looking for a sustainable solution to get exFAT working on that Lenovo device, it's a real let down it doesn't by default...

Many thanks !
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
android, exfat, lenovo, ntfs, yoga

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)