Something interesting?

Search This thread

njking25

Jul 7, 2014
So after flashing the new lollipop update I found myself stuck in a bootloop unable to get into the android operating system at all. I used flashboot and the intel flash tool to try and restore to an older ROM. It forze at 91% with an "error:unable to mount /data" I then used the root tool to try and sideload and install the update.zip from adb shell. No luck. When I rebooted I got to a strange efi menu. Looked around, and it gives me the option to install with with windows?

Anyone have any ideas. I'm waiting for radio shack to open, its the only local place that sells USB otg cables locally.

Last edited:

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls

So after flashing the new lollipop update I found myself stuck in a bootloop unable to get into the android operating system at all. I used flashboot and the intel flash tool to try and restore to an older ROM. It forze at 91% with an "error:unable to mount /data" I then used the root tool to try and sideload and install the update.zip from adb shell. No luck. When I rebooted I got to a strange efi menu. Looked around, and it gives me the option to install with with windows?

Anyone have any ideas. I'm waiting for radio shack to open, its the only local place that sells USB otg cables locally.
That is something interesting. It is asking which os to boot to, not install.
I'd like to know how you got into the bios? I am looking for a way to install Linux....

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

zach181

Jun 4, 2007
I've tried a few ways to get into the BIOS shown... all failed.

Maybe the only way to trigger the BIOS to show is to fully wipe/format the internal storage so the BIOS can't pick up droidboot or anything else. Quite risky though if it isn't the way.

I'm in no way telling anyone to do this and I have not tried it myself. I'd be curious to hear from any advanced users if they have ever completely wiped the internal memory and what options would be available to restore if things did go wrong.

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls
I've tried a few ways to get into the BIOS shown... all failed.

Maybe the only way to trigger the BIOS to show is to fully wipe/format the internal storage so the BIOS can't pick up droidboot or anything else. Quite risky though if it isn't the way.

I'm in no way telling anyone to do this and I have not tried it myself. I'd be curious to hear from any advanced users if they have ever completely wiped the internal memory and what options would be available to restore if things did go wrong.
This guy seems to have stumbled on it also. I flashed the stock kk firmware and I am trying to do it but can't get Lollipop update to work. But it won't boot after it fails so I am reflashing KK again.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=60490907&postcount=578

Last edited:

zach181

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks for the link workdowg,

I'm still trying to work out how they did it. Could do with a step by step and whatever files needed uploaded and linked to. Also the bit about not using windows startup programs.

Reactions: workdowg

workdowg

Apr 17, 2011
Seneca Falls
Thanks for the link workdowg,

I'm still trying to work out how they did it. Could do with a step by step and whatever files needed uploaded and linked to. Also the bit about not using windows startup programs.
If you try it do let me know. I need to get into the bios to get started on a dual boot to Linux on this bad boy...

zach181

Jun 4, 2007
I will let you know.

I just asked for the OP to clarify a few things before I go ahead. I may try Linux first with Windows 8/10 being the final install.

dreamnewbie

Oct 30, 2009
Radom
dodomu.softether.net
So... conclusion. we have to damage firmware to boot efi... :)

If we could swap img file before upload to tab (during this 25 second wait) we could make windows installation possible. Am i right?

zach181

Jun 4, 2007
Thanks workdowg.

It seems it's not as clear cut as first thought. Mind you, I didn't expect it to be. I did try a HP keyboard with OTG in Android and that got picked up ok (No lights on keyboard)

I'm a bit in the same mind as Social-Design. I'd rather have a definite way to restore Android from a totally blank internal drive before I have a go. Just up to page 214 in the thread so it may be covered later.

Yosha1

Jul 23, 2015
UEFI soft brick?

Hi guys,

I accidentely tried to use the firmware on my 1050 as described in this thread. I can indeed load the UEFI BIOS with all its settings (even though most don't do anything). But unfortunately, I cannot load any OS. I always get the error "EFI Harddrive failed" - meaning it cannot boot fomr hardrive.

I have used an externally powered USB-HUB with mouse, keyboard and USB-Stick and connected to the 1050 via OTG-cable. If the stick is bootabnle with GPT x64 then it will boot from that stick. All 64bit windows versions that I tried failed to install with "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR". 32bit windows would not start, because the GPT is 32bit and the BIOS does not recognise it.

The best success I had so far was to copy a ISO from android-x86 on the usb stick. It will boot in live-mode from the USB. Not so suprisignly, mouse and keyboard are working, touch isn't. WiFI is working and the SD card is detected. I tried to install this version of android on the harddrive which works, but it installs the EFI GRUB bootloader which is not recognised by the BIOS.

I can also access the UEFI shell.

Unfortunately, I am running a bit out of ideas of what to do in order to get a normal system (or firmware) back. ADB-drivers obviously don't work (the Intel SoC driver is installed as well), so I cannot use the Phone Flash Tool.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited:

social-design-concepts

Aug 30, 2012
Cincinnati
Hi guys,

I accidentely tried to use the firmware on my 1050 as described in this thread. I can indeed load the UEFI BIOS with all its settings (even though most don't do anything). But unfortunately, I cannot load any OS. I always get the error "EFI Harddrive failed" - meaning it cannot boot fomr hardrive.

I have used an externally powered USB-HUB with mouse, keyboard and USB-Stick and connected to the 1050 via OTG-cable. If the stick is bootabnle with GPT x64 then it will boot from that stick. All 64bit windows versions that I tried failed to install with "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR". 32bit windows would not start, because the GPT is 32bit and the BIOS does not recognise it.

The best success I had so far was to copy a ISO from android-x86 on the usb stick. It will boot in live-mode from the USB. Not so suprisignly, mouse and keyboard are working, touch isn't. WiFI is working and the SD card is detected. I tried to install this version of android on the harddrive which works, but it installs the EFI GRUB bootloader which is not recognised by the BIOS.

Unfortunately, I am running a bit out of ideas of what to do in order to get a normal system (or firmware) back. ADB-drivers obviously don't work (the Intel SoC driver is installed as well), so I cannot use the Phone Flash Tool.

You can get it to boot from USB? Get someone with to use tethered twrp and get a backup of the esp and fastboot partitions.

I have 2 things you can try if the goal is getting back to booting stock Android.

Last edited:

dreamnewbie

Oct 30, 2009
Radom
dodomu.softether.net

Have You tried booting any x64 linux iso from flash drive?

Yosha1

Jul 23, 2015
Have You tried booting any x64 linux iso from flash drive?

Thank you for your fast reply.

I just tried that with an Ubuntu Desktop Distro. It boots up from teh USB drive, keyboard and mouse are present. Wifi, sound, touch don't work but I can see the internal Harddrive and the sdcard in the file exsplorer.

social-design-concepts

Aug 30, 2012
Cincinnati

I just tried that with an Ubuntu Desktop Distro. It boots up from teh USB drive, keyboard and mouse are present. Wifi, sound, touch don't work but I can see the internal Harddrive and the sdcard in the file exsplorer.

extract and dd this to a usb drive and see if it is able to boot it View attachment 3415895 if it successfully boots replace the fastboot.img thats on the thumbrive with one for your devices and see if it boots. if your fastboot.img is named droidboot.img rename it to fastboot.img.

If you can successfully get your devices droidboot/fastboot.img to load you can then disconnect the usb-otg cable and reconnect it to your PC and use the phone flash tools to restore your device completely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yosha1 and workdowg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok. Do you know how I would go about repartitioning and formatting in droidboot?

you are able to get into droidboot? past the fastboot starting screen?

Code:
    fastboot oem start_partitioning

fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl  partition.tbl 
    fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
    note : if you dot have the partition.tbl file most droidboot.img stash a copy under system/etc/ so you could do fastboot oem partition /system/etc/partition.tbl

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase config
    fastboot erase data

fastboot oem stop_partitioning

fastboot flash ESP esp.img
    fastboot flash fastboot droidboot
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img 
    note : recovery.img is optional if you don't have a copy this should be rebuilt by android on boot anyways
    fastboot flash system system.img

if you get errors post screen shots of droidboot
    Success!

Hi!

Had the same "nothing more than BIOS screen" problem. With the help form everyone here I successfully restored stock KK to my 830F.

What I did:
    Downloaded almost everthing that was linked in almost every forum :)
    extracted the firmware located here: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=638030&st=0#entry35498096
    boot into fastboot (when it says starting fastboot...)
    than
    fastboot flash osloader bootx64.efi
    fastboot boot droidboot.img
    next
    fastboot oem start_partitioning

fastboot oem partition /system/etc/partition.tbl

fastboot erase system
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase config
    fastboot erase data

fastboot oem stop_partitioning

fastboot flash ESP esp.img
    fastboot flash fastboot droidboot
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

fastboot flash system system.img
    at this point I got stuck with error

no problem, this is what I did:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=62060611&postcount=657
    and after successful flash, reboot and voila: working stock KK again!

So I must say a big thanks to everyone in the forum!

PS: I have all the downloaded files that I used, if anyone gets stuck PM and I will try to do my best to help, but I'm not responsible if someone bricks the device!

(sorry for my english)
    So I tried to flash the stock kitkat rom over lollipop. While flashing I received an error stating the flash has failed. Now when I boot the tablet the only thing that comes up is the bios screen. Holding down the volume + power buttons do not bring the tablet into fastboot or recovery. My pc does not even recognize that the tablet has been plugged in through usb.

Power off the tabket then power on holding , vol up + vol down + power

should get a black screen with fastboot starting

connect to pc and try fastboot boot lollipop-droidboot.img

extract and dd this to a usb drive and see if it is able to boot it View attachment 3415895 if it successfully boots replace the fastboot.img thats on the thumbrive with one for your devices and see if it boots. if your fastboot.img is named droidboot.img rename it to fastboot.img.

If you can successfully get your devices droidboot/fastboot.img to load you can then disconnect the usb-otg cable and reconnect it to your PC and use the phone flash tools to restore your device completely.
    I will let you know.

I just asked for the OP to clarify a few things before I go ahead. I may try Linux first with Windows 8/10 being the final install.