FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

TWRP and ROOT for Tab 4 8/10 (Plus) (TB-8704X/F/V,TB-X704L/F, TB-8504X/F, TB-X304L/F)

217 posts
Thanks Meter: 242

By matshias, Senior Member on 29th August 2017, 03:47 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:

TWRP is an open source, community project. TWRP development is done by roughly 4 people at this point. We also have a large support community with many people who are willing to answer questions and help people with their devices either through our IRC channel or on forums like xda-developers.

Team Win was originally formed to work on porting WiMAX to CM7 for the HTC EVO 4G. After our work on the EVO 4G we wanted to work on a project that would work on more devices than just the EVO 4G and we settled on working on a recovery. Today TWRP is the leading custom recovery for Android phones.

A custom recovery is used for installing custom software on your device. This custom software can include smaller modifications like rooting your device or even replacing the firmware of the device with a completely custom "ROM" like OmniROM

WARNING!!! Be careful what you do here. One mistake and the device is soft-bricked. I take no responsibility for bricked devices, lost warranty or even OTAs not working!! Booting and/or flashing files from this post is on your own risk.

Requirements
  • Unlocked bootloader
  • Lenovo Tab 4 Plus with and without LTE and both 8 and 10 inch versions (TB-X704L/F, TB-8704X/F) are supported

Known Issues
  • WARNING! Our device uses dm-verity (verified boot). The system partition should remain read-only. Otherwise a bootloop will occur. You can flash SuperSU to resolve this but OTA's are no longer possible! You have to restore a factory image or clean system backup to receive OTAs

Download
Instructions
  1. Install fastboot and adb on your PC, e.g. from here
  2. Enable developer options and in there select to unlock your bootloader by enabling OEM unlock and enable USB debugging
  3. Connect your PC to your tablet and run
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    using adb on command line. The tablet will reboot into bootloader mode where you will only see the Lenovo logo. Now you use
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock-go
    to unlock. This will factory reset your device
  4. Setup the tablet again and reboot again to the bootloader
  5. Then run
    Code:
    fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-0-<your-filename>.img
    to temporarily boot into TWRP. You can also flash if you are sure
  6. Select to keep system read only when TWRP starts to avoid modification which will make OTAs impossible
  7. Backup at least system and boot partitions. Choose "System Image" for the system partition backup. Keep this backup for OTA updates.
  8. Optionally flash SuperSU or Magisk in TWRP which should install system less. Keep OEM unlock enabled if you flash or modify anything

Writable System Partition
Some mods and root apps require write access to the system partition. By default the system partition is read-only to prevent any modification. Please note that if your system partition is modified in any way it needs to be restored to its original state before a system update (OTA) can be applied.
  • @dywersant has created a Magisk module here to achieve write access
  • @KreAch3R has updated the Magisk module to the latest version here

System Updates (OTA)
In order to successfully apply Lenovo system updates after root you have to restore the original boot, recovery (if you flashed TWRP) and system partitions from your current installed version (e.g. S000037) for your variant of the tablet. This will NOT delete your apps and data but will unroot. Note that OTAs are block based and always check the contents of most of the partitions. This means that all of these partitions (except your data) have to be original and have to be on the exact same version (e.g. S000037) for the update to succeed.

Credits
@wonderfulme - for testing the 8" version
@Teddy01 - for testing the 10" version
@3m1k - for providing the 8" Verizon version
TeamWin

Source
TWRP Manifest: https://github.com/minimal-manifest-.../tree/twrp-7.1
Device Tree (TB-8704X): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_and...ee/android-7.1
Device Tree (TB-8704V): https://github.com/3m1k/twrp_android_device_tb_8704v
Device Tree (TB-X704L): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_and...ee/android-7.1
Device Tree (TB-8504X): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_and...ee/android-7.1
Device Tree (TB-X304L): https://github.com/Matshias/twrp_and...ee/android-7.1

Changelog
v3:
  • Update to TWRP 3.2.3-0
v2:
  • Update to TWRP 3.2.1-0
v1:
  • Initial Release
The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to matshias For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matshias Ad-Free

31st August 2017, 04:14 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
TWRP for Tab 4 8/10 without "Plus"

I built TWRP for both devices and need testers. Here are experimental versions:
Tab 4 8 (TB-8504X/F): twrp-3.1.1-0-tb_8504x_testing1.img
Tab 4 10 (TB-x304L/F): no longer needed. Final version in first post
The Following User Says Thank You to matshias For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matshias Ad-Free
31st August 2017, 08:01 PM |#3  
Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matshias

TWRP for Tab 4 8/10 without "Plus"

I built TWRP for both devices and need testers. Here are experimental versions:
Tab 4 8 (TB-8504X/F): twrp-3.1.1-0-tb_8504x_testing1.img
Tab 4 10 (TB-x304L/F): twrp-3.1.1-0-tb_x304l_testing1.img

I can test the 8 inch tomorrow. Thanks for building this btw.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Wait, these builds are for the Plus variants only? They will not work with ZA2B0009US, correct? :\
The Following User Says Thank You to w0rdie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift w0rdie Ad-Free
31st August 2017, 08:31 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by w0rdie

Wait, these builds are for the Plus variants only? They will not work with ZA2B0009US, correct? :\

ZA2B0009US = TB-8504F so you can take the build for Tab 4 8 (TB-8504X/F) and hopefully it will work out of the box.
31st August 2017, 08:55 PM |#5  
Austin, TX
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Quote:

ZA2B0009US = TB-8504F so you can take the build for Tab 4 8 (TB-8504X/F) and hopefully it will work out of the box.

Just landed there myself. I'll give it a go tomorrow morning and update this post.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to w0rdie For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift w0rdie Ad-Free
31st August 2017, 10:44 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have tested on X304L work perfectly.
Only one thing when i'm on power via usb TWRP still turning off screen in 2min and seems that all operations are put in wait state until screen turned on again.
The Following User Says Thank You to boza12 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift boza12 Ad-Free
1st September 2017, 11:56 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by boza12

I have tested on X304L work perfectly.
Only one thing when i'm on power via usb TWRP still turning off screen in 2min and seems that all operations are put in wait state until screen turned on again.

Thanks a lot for testing. I moved the TWRP to the first post.

In the TWRP settings you can switch off whether the screen goes off or not. Are you sure TWRP halts processing while the screen is off?
1st September 2017, 12:40 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Quote:

Thanks a lot for testing. I moved the TWRP to the first post.

In the TWRP settings you can switch off whether the screen goes off or not. Are you sure TWRP halts processing while the screen is off?

Yes It does - it happened to me last night also.
1st September 2017, 01:06 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggZenBeanz

Yes It does - it happened to me last night also.

Can you send me the logs (dmesg output and /tmp/recovery.log) after it happens?
1st September 2017, 06:53 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Yes sure.

Is anyone able to make available a system image. I deleted my original back up after the update then messed the root up. I now getting setup app crash and can't get passed setup
2nd September 2017, 06:59 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggZenBeanz

Yes sure.

Is anyone able to make available a system image. I deleted my original back up after the update then messed the root up. I now getting setup app crash and can't get passed setup

Download the factory image for your tablet from the Russian Lenovo forum (lenovo-forums.ru) . In there you will find a fragmented system image. You have to puzzle it together with a script according to XML file in the Image directory. If you wanna flash via fastboot you will have to convert it with img2simg to sparse format. You can also use dd command line TWRP with the raw image file. If you tell me your exact model number I can also upload what you need.
The Following User Says Thank You to matshias For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift matshias Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)