Yoga Tab 3 Starter Thread

Search This thread

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
Update-
Holding Vol up + Vol Down + Power when off and then releasing power when you see the Lenovo logo will bring up a diagnostic checklist where you can test the hardware functionality.
Holding Vol Down + Power when off and then releasing power when you see the Lenovo logo I think goes to the bootloader, like below, but nothing indicates that this is what is happening.
Holding Vol up + Power when off and then releasing power when you see the Lenovo logo will bring up recovery. Recovery has the following options-
*Reboot system now
*Apply update from ADB
*Wipe data/factory reset
*Wipe Cache partition
*Reboot to Bootloader
*Power down
*View Recovery Logs
*Apply update from sdcard

Rebooting to bootloader caused the Lenovo logo screen to stay on. I assume that either this screen allows fastboot or that the bootloader is locked or hidden in some way? The driver that's installed when you plug it in here is the Alcatel ADB Interface driver. However, "adb devices" does not list the YT. Using the "Apply update from ADB option in recovery allows for it to be seen on the computer, but in "sideload" mode. Not sure where to go from there.

Original post-
While there are several posts for the Yoga Tab 3 Pro version, there has been no mention of this one yet. I picked up this 8" version in Best Buy this week and have been very impressed by the build quality of such an inexpensive tablet.

While it does look and function very similarly to the pro version, these are two completely different machines spec-wise. The complete specs for the YT3 can be found on GSM Arena's page, but it has a Snapdragon 210 quad with a Adreno 304 graphics chip and 1gb of RAM. Haven't checked the battery life, but Lenovo claims close to 20 hours of use! We'll see about that...

The skinning of the YT3 is very minimal (they are using Tribuchet as the default launcher!) but the settings are tweaked a bit and fill two columns on the screen.

One of my main reasons for creating this thread is to see if any others have this tablet yet. The other is to start the process of rooting it. While I don't see this being actively developed for, it would be nice to have root for things like Titanium Backup and the ability to remove the bloatware on it.

When you plug it into the computer, there are two devices that pop up in Windows. One is the MTP storage like usual, but the other is a virtual CDROM drive with Lenovo Helper software, which includes drivers for the tab.

Last edited:

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
Kingroot doesn't work I've tried.
Anyways its a great tablet.
I replaced my Samsung note 10.1 2014 with lenovo yoga tab 3 8"
I know its not an upgrade but I feel that this tablet suits my need more
I basically use this for watching movies and playing casual games like clash of clans.
Speed is okay doesn't really lag unlike my note 10.1 2014
Anypen works but theres no palm rejection
I found one problem so far. Can't seem to replace the trebuchet launcher.
After you restart the tab it sets trebuchet as the default launcher

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
Anypen works but theres no palm rejection
I found one problem so far. Can't seem to replace the trebuchet launcher.
After you restart the tab it sets trebuchet as the default launcher

Huh, just noticed the launcher thing too. I thought it might because of system updates (mine has updated twice since I got it this week). Not cool. And since there is no root yet, you can't remove Trebuchet.
I figured there would be no palm rejection. That is a feature that they would tout loudly if it had it.

Are you able to get fastboot commands to give you anything besides errors?

redegan82

Feb 27, 2013
lenovo tab 3 pro

Hi Does anybody know when the lenovo tab 3 pro is getting released in the UK I just sold my iPad air 2 so can get it and cant bloody wait for itlol

Glen L

Sep 20, 2007
Huh, just noticed the launcher thing too. I thought it might because of system updates (mine has updated twice since I got it this week). Not cool. And since there is no root yet, you can't remove Trebuchet.
I figured there would be no palm rejection. That is a feature that they would tout loudly if it had it.

Are you able to get fastboot commands to give you anything besides errors?

I solved my launcher problem....
I read that you have to wipe cache and dalvik, but since we're not rooted. I did a reset factory.
That way it cleared everything and now I can change the launchers...

Palm rejection im hoping that there's a software for it... for note taking
I dont know how to do fastboot commands

Bluemgt06

Apr 16, 2012
Motorola Razr 5G
I have the Tab 3 10 inch version and I get days in battery life. I have not charged the tablet in over three days with moderate usage and I still have 51% battery and it estimates another 3 days of usage. I would like to see rooting and custom kernels eventually to solve some of the lag that the tablet does have. The memory management is a little over working, for example if I switch from Facebook to Skype it closes Facebook, I guess that's assuming that it does not have enough memory to keep it running in the background even though I open task manager and it's not using over half of its memory. I don't believe that this tablet will ever get palm rejection because the any pen feature that it has is just a souped-up digitizer that is more sensitive two inputs. There is no actual stylus detection on this as there is in the Samsung Galaxy Note series devices. It does not know the difference between your finger and using an ink pen or another stylus. My main complaint in which I will be exchanging the device for a new one is my hinge is loose on the camera side and wobbles.

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
I solved my launcher problem....
I read that you have to wipe cache and dalvik, but since we're not rooted. I did a reset factory.
That way it cleared everything and now I can change the launchers...
Cool! Great find, thanks for sharing. Of course I have everything set up now...

I have the Tab 3 10 inch version and I get days in battery life. I have not charged the tablet in over three days with moderate usage and I still have 51% battery and it estimates another 3 days of usage. I would like to see rooting and custom kernels eventually to solve some of the lag that the tablet does have.

I agree the battery life is insane. I have been reading comics on it for 4 hours of screen time and it still says I have a day and a half left at the current drain. Very happy to see that as this is replacing an ereader.

I noticed the aggressive task management too. It only has 1gb or RAM, but that shouldn't mean it clears out cache that quickly.

Rooting is priority one. I am not sure how to start that part, but drivers are first, and I don't think the ones that Lenovo includes with it allow for fastboot access.

Nov 17, 2015
Rooting is priority one. I am not sure how to start that part, but drivers are first, and I don't think the ones that Lenovo includes with it allow for fastboot access.

Hey there. I posted something in another Tab 3 thread, but I think it was more for the Tab 3 Pro. It's a bit confusing right now cause there seems to be a lot of different SKUs for the same product name. Mine is the Lenovo Tab 3 10 - model YT3-X50F.

Anyway, I was able to get it into fastboot without any issues using the Lenovo drivers. The system I am using is pretty clean, so I don't think it would have come from another package I've used in the past. I think the next step is to build a TWRP recovery for our tab.

Here's what I wrote in the other thread:

My experience has been a little different so far. Just picked up the tablet today.

I toggled Allow OEM unlock and enabled debugging in Developer Options. I installed the Lenovo Suite software (which was really just a driver pack) then ran adb reboot bootloader to reboot. It got me to a Lenovo splash.

fastboot oem unlock didn't work for me. It gave me an error message:

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
FAILED (remote: Need wipe userdata. Do 'fastboot oem unlock-go')
finished. total time: 0.005s

Running fastboot oem unlock-go worked immediately and the tablet rebooted to the typical Android factory wipe screen. Could be coincidental, but I got an OTA notice after I did the whole first-time Android setup. I denied the update, but copied down the update name: YT3-X50F_S000015_150917_ROW_TO_YT3-X50f_S000016_151002_ROW

Reactions: silentheero

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
I toggled Allow OEM unlock and enabled debugging in Developer Options.

Great job Mustard, I never thought they would put a toggle in the settings for it. No other device I have owned had that.

As for SKUs, I am not sure why they did that either. I think the 8" and 10" versions run on the same hardware, but the pro version uses something completely different. My model number is YT3-850F.

I

ionioni

Hey there. I posted something in another Tab 3 thread, but I think it was more for the Tab 3 Pro. It's a bit confusing right now cause there seems to be a lot of different SKUs for the same product name. Mine is the Lenovo Tab 3 10 - model YT3-X50F.

actually it's not that hard:
Yoga Tab 3 - 8" (YT3-850F) -> the cheap model of the 3 series, runs a Qualcomm cpu (ARM), pricetag 170$
Yoga Tab 3 - 10" (YT3-X50F) -> still on a budgetside, also with a Qualcomm cpu
Yoga Tab 3 Pro - 10" (YT3-X90F) -> the (more)expensive one, runs a Atom cpu (x86), pricetag 500$
F is the wifi only variant (L adds 4G but the price goes up too)

Nov 17, 2015
As for SKUs, I am not sure why they did that either. I think the 8" and 10" versions run on the same hardware, but the pro version uses something completely different. My model number is YT3-850F.

I would have thought they would remove the "Allow OEM unlocking" toggle. It was new with Lollipop - most devices I know don't make it that easy. :p

I found this link while trying to look up your model number. It suggests that we share the same radios (at least as far as Bluetooth SIG is concerned). And I could be wrong, but I think since the SoC has the radios built in, our boards would then be identical to develop on.

I can't post links yet, but Google "bluetooth sig D026975" and it'll pop right up.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

actually it's not that hard:
Yoga Tab 3 - 8" (YT3-850F) -> the cheap model of the 3 series, runs a Qualcomm cpu (ARM), pricetag 170$
Yoga Tab 3 - 10" (YT3-X50F) -> still on a budgetside, also with a Qualcomm cpu
Yoga Tab 3 Pro - 10" (YT3-X90F) -> the (more)expensive one, runs a Atom cpu (x86), pricetag 500$
F is the wifi only variant (L adds 4G but the price goes up too)

True, but any vendor round these parts (US) doesn't list it by the OEM model number - just the marketing monikers. I found out only AFTER buying mine - which made it a bit frustrating when looking up exact specs. For example, the Lenovo site doesn't note the F or L variants - they just talk about the Snapdragon 212 in generalities. But as I now know, the F variant doesn't have LTE - despite it sharing the same SoC as the L.

So at least on my SKU (YT3-X50F TAB 16GBL-US-BBY), it is disabled by Lenovo.

silentheero

Dec 8, 2010
I found this link while trying to look up your model number. It suggests that we share the same radios (at least as far as Bluetooth SIG is concerned). And I could be wrong, but I think since the SoC has the radios built in, our boards would then be identical to develop on.

True, but any vendor round these parts (US) doesn't list it by the OEM model number - just the marketing monikers. I found out only AFTER buying mine - which made it a bit frustrating when looking up exact specs. For example, the Lenovo site doesn't note the F or L variants - they just talk about the Snapdragon 212 in generalities. But as I now know, the F variant doesn't have LTE - despite it sharing the same SoC as the L.

The Official Bluetooth SIG Member Site- D026975 Yep. That's the one. And there is a slight bump in the processor for the 10" one- from 1.1GHz to 1.3GHz- but that is probably because they clocked the chip in the 10" higher.

According to that too there is a M variant (YT3-850M).

I

ionioni

For example, the Lenovo site doesn't note the F or L variants - they just talk about the Snapdragon 212 in generalities. But as I now know, the F variant doesn't have LTE - despite it sharing the same SoC as the L.

not disabled... missing
your model (WiFi only) has a different antenna (with a single lobe) and also your mainboard is missing the sim electronics (they have different part numbers for different variants F/L/M)
so it's not like you can send a command and enable LTE or call on a F tab (YT3-X50 hw manual)

Nov 17, 2015
not disabled... missing
your model (WiFi only) has a different antenna (with a single lobe) and also your mainboard is missing the sim electronics (they have different part numbers for different variants F/L/M)
so it's not like you can send a command and enable LTE or call on a F tab (YT3-X50 hw manual)

I've read that manual before and still reach the same conclusion. I'm not sure why you're arguing a point - not just once, but twice now. My opinion of the different SKUs and the "locking" of the SoC is not related to the task at hand. The focus should be on development.

They definitely do have a different antenna and the lack of a SIM tray can be problematic, but we both already knew that. What we don't know is how the components differ on the board-level. We do know there are different SKUs. Different board part numbers too. We do know that they share the same SoC, which is very helpful from a development standpoint... as well as confirming that there is an LTE radio on-chip. That's really all I said.

I

ionioni

I've read that manual before and still reach the same conclusion. I'm not sure why you're arguing a point - not just once, but twice now. My opinion of the different SKUs and the "locking" of the SoC is not related to the task at hand. The focus should be on development.

They definitely do have a different antenna and the lack of a SIM tray can be problematic, but we both already knew that. What we don't know is how the components differ on the board-level. We do know there are different SKUs. Different board part numbers too. We do know that they share the same SoC, which is very helpful from a development standpoint... as well as confirming that there is an LTE radio on-chip. That's really all I said.

disabled functionality is one thing, missing components required for a function is another. if you were to say: "at least on my SKU (YT3-X50F TAB 16GBL-US-BBY), i don't have all the required parts"
YT3 have three base models the two cheap ones and the pro one and they don't all share the same SoC (and the 10" pro is twice the price of the one you have)

fastboot enable LTE

it's not arguing, it's just asserting

nmonty

Oct 11, 2013
London
might be possible to cwm

ok i've just got this tablet today and am quite pleased with it. I'm currently looking at creating cwm for as I can't find a way of rooting it also but I think it can be rooted using the super su update zip file this might take a while due to work so theres no guarantee I can do it though. can but try

ElrosMinyatur

Jan 28, 2014
ok i've just got this tablet today and am quite pleased with it. I'm currently looking at creating cwm for as I can't find a way of rooting it also but I think it can be rooted using the super su update zip file this might take a while due to work so theres no guarantee I can do it though. can but try
Kingroot just worked for me and I now have root access. Yt3-850f is my model. I need a custom recovery so I can install xposed.

Nov 17, 2015
Kingroot just worked for me and I now have root access. Yt3-850f is my model. I need a custom recovery so I can install xposed.

Cool, that's good to know that Kingroot worked. I wouldn't use it personally due to some questionable security things, but since it works, that means there should be a way to gain root without the proprietary software.

A few days ago, I tried the recovery from the Tab 2 for kicks. It did not boot. I have been looking into guides on how to build TWRP from source, but I'm stuck for the time being.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can I flash using the sd card or I have to use my computer.
    I 've ever used custom rom on my old phone so I know flashing a custom rom from a zip file on sd card, but I have never used .img

Can you tell me more.

Thanks again.

How to unlock, nandroid and reflash Lenovo Yoga Tab 3. I tested it using my Tab 3 10 (X50F). It isn't guaranteed that it will work on other models, too. Do it at your own risk!

Files needed:
    Firmware package:
    https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24369303960683181 [Thanks to @ionioni, credits to Lenovo-forums.ru]
    TWRP.img: http://www106.zippyshare.com/v/81zlHQeG/file.html
    ADB-files: http://www106.zippyshare.com/v/guVfwUn9/file.html
    Tablet drives for windows: http://www106.zippyshare.com/v/ZKDhieSc/file.html

You are responsible for what you are doing!

Unlock:

On your Tab:
    a.Go to Settings -> About Phone/Tablet and tap on your model number until the developer settings are unlocked
    b.In developer settings switch “OEM unlock” on
    c.Also allow „USB Debugging“

On your PC:
    a.Download and install Lenovo USB driver
    b.Download and unzip the adb.zip
    c.With “USB debugging” enabled connect your Tab with your PC and let it install all drivers. You will be asked whether you want to allow adb access from this PC. Allow it and also check the "allow everytime" checkbox.
    d.Go to your unziped adb folder, Shift + right klick in it and open a terminal in that folder
    e.In terminal enter “adb start-server” and watch your Tab
    f.In terminal enter “adb reboot-bootloader“ and wait until your Tab shows a orange Lenovo message
    g.Check if your tab is in fastboot mode with typing “fastboot devices” in terminal
    h.If your Tab is regocginzed correctly type „fastboot oem unlock-go“

ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE WIPED

i.Let your Tab reboot
    j.You are unlocked now!

Create a nandroid backup of your tablet:

Before you start:

1. YOUR BOOTLOADER HAS TO BE UNLOCKED TO DO THIS!
    2. You have to download the linked TWRP. It’s for X50M but it will work on our X50F, too
    3. This method will not flash TWRP permanently, it will just boot the recovery without modifying anything

On your PC:
    a.Download and unzip the TWRP.zip
    b.Open up the folder and locate the “twrp.zip”
    c.Let it open and continue on your tablet

On your tablet:
    d.Re-enable developer settings and switch „USB debugging“ back on
    e.Wait for the ADB prompt on your Tab and allow your PC.

If it doesn’t show up, retype „adb devices“ in terminal OR reconnect your tab to your PC OR do both. Just try

f.On your PC type in your terminal (with adb server running): adb reboot-bootloader

Switch back to your PC:
    a.Check if your tablet is recognized correctly: fastboot devices
    b.Boot up the TWRP recovery by typing: fastboot boot [path to your twrp.img]

Tip: Begin with “fastboot boot “ and just drag and drop the “twrp.img” from the folder on your PC to the terminal window. The right path will be insert automatically. It should look like this:

ADB>fastboot boot C:\twrp.img

c.Hit enter and wait for the tablet to boot in recovery

Back on your tablet again:

d.You will be welcomed with a message from the creator, just hit the “read only” button
    e.Now you will see the “normal” TWRP main menu
    f.Go to settings FIRST and disable the screen lock as it will cause freezes!
    g.Go to “BACKUP” and choose your external memory (sd-card) as the backup location (I recommend this but it is not essential)
    h.To have a full backup, check all checkboxes. Caution: On the right side is a small scrollbar, scroll down to see all backup checkboxes
    i.Do a full backup and wait until it is finished
    j.Go back to the main menu and open up the “REBOOT” menu
    k.Do a normal reboot if you doesn’t want to re-enable OTA Updated,hit “Bootloader” if you want to continue to re-flash your system

Re-enable OTA Updates:

YOUR BOOTLOADER HAS TO BE UNLOCKED TO DO THIS!

a.Download the firmware and open the “SW” folder. You can ignore the other folders!
    b.Reboot your tablet into fastboot mode
    c.Check if your tablet is recognized by your PC by typing: fastboot devices
    d.Navigate to the “SW” folder and start to flash the following images via fastboot.

(There are multiple system.img with a number in it.
    ONLY USE THE BIGGEST FILE. IT IS NAMED “system.img”.
    It is the same for userdata.img!)

cache.img
    system.img
    userdata.img
    recovery.img

I’m sure that not all of them are nessacery to re-enable OTA updates but I flashed all of them to be safe

e. Flash the images by entering the following commands:
    (you can use drag and drop again to get the right path to the images):

fastboot flash cache cache.img
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

in the terminal on your pc. Don’t be scared if the system image takes long to flash. It is huge and will be send in multiple parts to your tablet. JUST WAIT!
    f.After you have flashed all of them enter: "fastboot reboot" and wait
    g.After your tablet is booted up, go through the start assistant until you are greeted with the home screen
    h.Go to settings and open “About tablet” and check for firmware updates. Wait. It will download available updates and flash them through recovery
    i.Done!

If you root your tablet you will be unable to to OTA updates again!

Keep OTA and root (some kind of)

a. After you set up your tablet and updated it to the latest firmware version, reboot in bootloader again before you root or modify your system!
    b. Open a terminal and enter: fastboot boot [recovery file], so you temporary boot the TWRP recovery
    c. Choose "read only" again and do a backup of your "system" partition only
    d. Keep the backup

If a new update arrives and you are rooted just boot up the twrp again. Now don't use it in "read only" to restore your untouched system twrp-backup. Download and apply the new firmware.

Go to fastboot again and backup the new system. YOU WILL HAVE TO DO THIS AFTER EVERY NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE BEFORE YOU ROOT!

I haven't tested this method, I read about it in some other forum about some other Lenovo tablet. If someone wants to try this, report back please :)

Picked up the Yoga Tab 3 8" last week. Loving the battery life and overall feed.

Kingroot v4.6.2 can successfully root this tablet. Verified with Root Validator from the play store.

Update: I have my Yoga Tab 3 with SuperSU installed.

Steps to accomplish:

1. Install Kingroot v4.6.2 - google for the latest link.
    2. Run Kingroot and follow the instructions to achieve root. This will install Kingroot and some other app called Purity (ram cleaner? something, it's extra stuff I didn't want). Verify that you have root access with Root Validator or your other favorite tool.
    3. Go to the following link and download the file Replace_Kingroot_With_SuperSU.zip from the link just below the video - make sure you get the updated version. - http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html
    4. Watch the following video and follow the instructions. The script will fail some steps - this is ok! - Youtube - How to replace Kinguser with SuperSU
    5. When you get to the point where SuperSU launches due to the script, it will ask to update the SU binary - Click Normal
    6. When SuperSU asks to remove the other user management app, Click Cancel
    7. When you click cancel, it should say that the binary was updated Successfully. Do not click Reboot!! Click Ok
    8. At this point, check again using Root Validator. It should show multiple Superuser apps and a single Superuser binary (SuperSU)
    9. Go back into SuperSU, and go to the options. Scroll down to the Cleanup section and select the option to remove the other user management app.
    10. Check again using Root Validator. You should have only SuperSU installed.
    11. Remove Purity using Titanium Backup or similar.

Now.... to get Xposed on here for Youtube Adaway...
    There's a new OTA update available. If you rooted your YogaTab 3 make sure to disable/freeze the system update app. I used SD Main to freeze the app. Otherwise you enter a nasty loop of downloading, restarting, failing the update, restarts, redownloading the update, restart, update fail, restart, download. etc.

In order to get the updateworking you have to reflash the untouched QPST File, let the update install and then you can unlock the bootloader again, run twrp and flash supersu again.

I will write a step by step guide later.

PS: the russian Lenovo Forum now has a rudimentary support for english language which makes it a lot easier. Here are Files needed

ROMS: http://lenovo-forums.ru/files/category/107-yoga-tablet-3-x50m/ The QPST File includes Drivers and the Flash Utility as well
    TWRP: http://lenovo-forums.ru/topic/14846...50lm-rasshirennoe-rekaveri-twrp-by-sevenmaxs/
    SuperSU https://xdaforums.com/apps/supersu/stable-2016-09-01supersu-v2-78-release-t3452703
    I appreciate the feedback. I've using it without root and I don't really like the fact that I'm missing out on all the root pluses. So I will try Magisk. I just have to now figure out a way to put twrp on my device so I can flash magisk. From what I read I have to first unlock the bootloader, download the twrp from the Russian website, and then flash it?

Can this all be done using Fastboot? Is that the best/easiest way to go about this? Also, I'm assuming this w erase everything but I'll still keep my android 6?

Thank you in advance.

hi and yes, adb and fastboot are your tools.
    assuming that you installed all necessary drivers and tools you start with
    using the developer options to prepare the unlock and activate usb debugging.

then check if all works with "adb devices" at your pc command prompt
    then: "adb reboot bootloader"
    check again with: "fastboot devices"
    and finally "fastboot oem unlock-go"

yes it will erase everything, including your internal storage.

now you can flash twrp with "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
    you can extract that .img from the sevenmaxs.zip attachement
    i know it says X50M but it also works for X50F.

then boot into recovery and flash the magisk-v12.0.zip for root.
    reboot and dont forget to install the magiskmanager

in case you also want to use xposed too, maybe for gravitybox, you can install xposed sdk23 by magiskmanager and install the installer from the attachement.

0. Enable developer settings
    1. Enable bootloader unlock option in Dev Settings
    2. Copy twrp.img from Russian Lenovo forum into ADB Folder on PC
    3. Copy supersu.zip to device
    4. Restart the device and press volume down to enter bootloader
    5. Unlock bootloader via ADB: fastboot oem unlock-go
    (Wipes the device!) Return to bootloader again after this is done.
    6. Run twrp.img via fastboot boot twrp.img
    7. Flash supersu, wipe cache/dalvik
    8. Reboot. Done