FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

How to Recover Data from Boot Loop Defect Device (Tested it works!)

147 posts
Thanks Meter: 34

By celsius0010, Senior Member on 20th January 2016, 10:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Thank you to the members on here, reddit, and other Android sites for the helpful insight. I did tons of research because I could just not stomach losing everything on my phone. I'm actually glad this happened because I will never be this careless again. I've been coming on this site to mod my phones since the PPC-6700 and have never heard of this issue. But SD cards fail and drops happen so that's no excuse.

I was able to get my defective phone to boot by freezing it for about 15 minutes in large freezer, and letting it run inside the freezer. I have heard of people being able to recover data by freezing the batteries and one person suggested to run your phone in the freezer. I tried it and it worked.

Before I tried the freezer method I was only able to get to the Android is Upgrading screen maybe 10 times out of over 100 boot loops. The farthest I ever got on that screen was 8 out of 101 apps. With the freezer method it fully booted on the first try.

First I froze the battery alone for maybe 20 minutes. Then I placed the battery in the phone and tried booting into recovery. It didn't work. So I removed the battery, put it back in and and let both of them sit together for about 15 minutes in the freezer. Then I returned and the phone fully booted on the first try. I tried booting into recovery from Nandroid Manager but that just reset the phone. Since it seemed stable and I wanted to keep the phone as cold as possible I just used My Backup Pro and Titanium Backup to back everything up.

I honestly gave up and I am sending my phone to LG today, so this was literally my last resort. Hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20160120_14_23_15_Pro.jpg
Views:	13678
Size:	254.6 KB
ID:	3616883  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to celsius0010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift celsius0010 Ad-Free

23rd January 2016, 04:46 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Confirmed, sort of. After about 15mins my phone booted up, but froze again and restarted. Hoping with a few more minutes of freezing it stays put so i can transfer my TB to my SD card (I though it was already there :\)
The Following User Says Thank You to hollywood084 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hollywood084 Ad-Free
23rd January 2016, 05:42 PM |#3  
Flag TN
Thanks Meter: 129

More
Thank for useful information. It's happened to my phone too keep rebooting itself then after 100 reboot I got the home screen and use cable to copy all my stuff in laptop . I'm sending mine to tmo store

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Naaser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Naaser Ad-Free
23rd January 2016, 09:17 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 34

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood084

Confirmed, sort of. After about 15mins my phone booted up, but froze again and restarted. Hoping with a few more minutes of freezing it stays put so i can transfer my TB to my SD card (I though it was already there :\)

I tried it again to get a nandroid backup and merely freezing the phone did not work. I had to let it run in the freezer, I got the best performance with the back off and the phone resting on a bag of frozen vegetables. The second time I had two reboots but that may be because I didn't get the phone quite as cold as the first time I did it.

Phone is sent off to tmobile and the replacement is working great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to celsius0010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift celsius0010 Ad-Free
26th January 2016, 10:05 AM |#5  
Flag Somewhere
Thanks Meter: 224

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the tip, it helps! Confirmed working, left my phone 20 minutes in the fridge => boot but freeze during LG animation (not cold enough)
left the device in the freezer for a moment => success boot, but freeze minutes later once it gets warmer

So... there is a problem with some hardware pieces..
The Following User Says Thank You to bel57 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bel57 Ad-Free
2nd February 2016, 02:25 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
It still took dozens of tries to get everything working over a couple of days but using this method I was able to backup all my data and even wipe the phone! Just keep trying and keep it cold in the freezer. Also, charge your battery to 100% constantly rebooting drained the battery quickly. The CPU gets hot even when it looks like its running fine, keep it in the freezer while it does its commands.
The Following User Says Thank You to revo420 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift revo420 Ad-Free
7th February 2016, 02:23 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
I got the dreaded bootloop back in Dec. Tried the freezer method a few times to recover data, but I still get the bootloop. I got to the T-Mobile screen once, but every other try I got stuck at the LG logo.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app
7th February 2016, 02:40 PM |#8  
Flag Somewhere

Donate to Me
More
For how long did you put your phone in the freezer?
7th February 2016, 05:20 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 76

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bel57

For how long did you put your phone in the freezer?

First few times like 15 to 20 mins. Then a little bit longer on the next few attempts. I thought it might work if the phone was a little colder, but still no luck.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app
7th February 2016, 06:16 PM |#10  
Flag Somewhere

Donate to Me
More
It's not *a little*. First time it succesfully booted once put 30-45 mins in freezer, but not enough, since it started freezing after a few minutes of use.

I managed to retrieve my data after leaving it for at least 1-2 hours in freezer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bel57 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bel57 Ad-Free
12th February 2016, 07:13 AM |#11  
Flag Ostrava
Thanks Meter: 63

More
Going to shop to get back my device and try it..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
bootloop, brick, hard, lg g4, loop

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)