How to Recover Data from Boot Loop Defect Device (Tested it works!)

Search This thread

celsius0010

Jan 1, 2008
Thank you to the members on here, reddit, and other Android sites for the helpful insight. I did tons of research because I could just not stomach losing everything on my phone. I'm actually glad this happened because I will never be this careless again. I've been coming on this site to mod my phones since the PPC-6700 and have never heard of this issue. But SD cards fail and drops happen so that's no excuse.

I was able to get my defective phone to boot by freezing it for about 15 minutes in large freezer, and letting it run inside the freezer. I have heard of people being able to recover data by freezing the batteries and one person suggested to run your phone in the freezer. I tried it and it worked.

Before I tried the freezer method I was only able to get to the Android is Upgrading screen maybe 10 times out of over 100 boot loops. The farthest I ever got on that screen was 8 out of 101 apps. With the freezer method it fully booted on the first try.

First I froze the battery alone for maybe 20 minutes. Then I placed the battery in the phone and tried booting into recovery. It didn't work. So I removed the battery, put it back in and and let both of them sit together for about 15 minutes in the freezer. Then I returned and the phone fully booted on the first try. I tried booting into recovery from Nandroid Manager but that just reset the phone. Since it seemed stable and I wanted to keep the phone as cold as possible I just used My Backup Pro and Titanium Backup to back everything up.

I honestly gave up and I am sending my phone to LG today, so this was literally my last resort. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

• WIN_20160120_14_23_15_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20160120_14_23_15_Pro.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 14,022

hollywood084

Mar 21, 2009
Confirmed, sort of. After about 15mins my phone booted up, but froze again and restarted. Hoping with a few more minutes of freezing it stays put so i can transfer my TB to my SD card (I though it was already there :\)

Last edited:
Reactions: SuhasTheBest

Naaser

May 18, 2012
Motorola Moto G100 / Edge S
Thank for useful information. It's happened to my phone too keep rebooting itself then after 100 reboot I got the home screen and use cable to copy all my stuff in laptop . I'm sending mine to tmo store

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: SuhasTheBest

celsius0010

Jan 1, 2008
Confirmed, sort of. After about 15mins my phone booted up, but froze again and restarted. Hoping with a few more minutes of freezing it stays put so i can transfer my TB to my SD card (I though it was already there :\)

I tried it again to get a nandroid backup and merely freezing the phone did not work. I had to let it run in the freezer, I got the best performance with the back off and the phone resting on a bag of frozen vegetables. The second time I had two reboots but that may be because I didn't get the phone quite as cold as the first time I did it.

Phone is sent off to tmobile and the replacement is working great.

bel57

Dec 26, 2009
???
www.gamergen.com
Thanks for the tip, it helps! Confirmed working, left my phone 20 minutes in the fridge => boot but freeze during LG animation (not cold enough)
left the device in the freezer for a moment => success boot, but freeze minutes later once it gets warmer

So... there is a problem with some hardware pieces..

Reactions: lm.1

revo420

Nov 26, 2008
It still took dozens of tries to get everything working over a couple of days but using this method I was able to backup all my data and even wipe the phone! Just keep trying and keep it cold in the freezer. Also, charge your battery to 100% constantly rebooting drained the battery quickly. The CPU gets hot even when it looks like its running fine, keep it in the freezer while it does its commands.

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
I got the dreaded bootloop back in Dec. Tried the freezer method a few times to recover data, but I still get the bootloop. I got to the T-Mobile screen once, but every other try I got stuck at the LG logo.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
For how long did you put your phone in the freezer?

First few times like 15 to 20 mins. Then a little bit longer on the next few attempts. I thought it might work if the phone was a little colder, but still no luck.

Sent from my LG-E980 using XDA Free mobile app

bel57

Dec 26, 2009
???
www.gamergen.com
It's not *a little*. First time it succesfully booted once put 30-45 mins in freezer, but not enough, since it started freezing after a few minutes of use.

I managed to retrieve my data after leaving it for at least 1-2 hours in freezer.

LoyPerera

Jun 25, 2016
Thanks for posting - this method works! It took me a few tries to get it right - put the phone, no cover, in a ziploc, with battery inserted for over an hour in the freezer. Take it out of the bag, and let it boot inside the freezer (door closed), with back/battery resting on icepack or frozen bag of veggies. Once booted, connected the USB to laptop (with freezer door still closed as much as possible), and transferred all data! It seemed pretty stable and fast by that point. Upon taking it out, it went into bootloop again. No moisture damage.

kimonaskos

Jun 29, 2016
I too tried this method, but no luck..
Tried letting the phone in the freezer for 10-20 minutes, no change
Let the phone in the freezer 40 minutes, nothing at all
Let it for 1 hours, same again
Let it for 2 hours and nothing seems to happen. It keeps bootlooping.
Maybe i'll try one last time putting both the phone AND the battery for maybe 4 hours, then power it on, see what happens...

celsius0010

Jan 1, 2008
And my replacement phone broke again.. The freezer method worked again. But the replacement (my 2nd boot looping phone) usually won't even Boot Loop. When I plug it into a charger nothing happens. Insert a full battery and try to turn it on, nothing happens. I had to press on the back really hard to get any power to the phone. Then I was able to use the freezer method for a few days, my replacement has came and I cant get it to work again. I just wanted to double check that everything was backed up, I may be out of luck...

r3dd09

Dec 31, 2011
NVM, just realized this is the G4 forum, not the v10. Best of luck with bootloop issues.

Last edited:

lm.1

Jul 24, 2016
Thank you to the members on here, reddit, and other Android sites for the helpful insight. I did tons of research because I could just not stomach losing everything on my phone. I'm actually glad this happened because I will never be this careless again. I've been coming on this site to mod my phones since the PPC-6700 and have never heard of this issue. But SD cards fail and drops happen so that's no excuse.

I was able to get my defective phone to boot by freezing it for about 15 minutes in large freezer, and letting it run inside the freezer. I have heard of people being able to recover data by freezing the batteries and one person suggested to run your phone in the freezer. I tried it and it worked.

Before I tried the freezer method I was only able to get to the Android is Upgrading screen maybe 10 times out of over 100 boot loops. The farthest I ever got on that screen was 8 out of 101 apps. With the freezer method it fully booted on the first try.

First I froze the battery alone for maybe 20 minutes. Then I placed the battery in the phone and tried booting into recovery. It didn't work. So I removed the battery, put it back in and and let both of them sit together for about 15 minutes in the freezer. Then I returned and the phone fully booted on the first try. I tried booting into recovery from Nandroid Manager but that just reset the phone. Since it seemed stable and I wanted to keep the phone as cold as possible I just used My Backup Pro and Titanium Backup to back everything up.

I honestly gave up and I am sending my phone to LG today, so this was literally my last resort. Hope this helps someone.

And my replacement phone broke again.. The freezer method worked again. But the replacement (my 2nd boot looping phone) usually won't even Boot Loop. When I plug it into a charger nothing happens. Insert a full battery and try to turn it on, nothing happens. I had to press on the back really hard to get any power to the phone. Then I was able to use the freezer method for a few days, my replacement has came and I cant get it to work again. I just wanted to double check that everything was backed up, I may be out of luck...

Thanks for the tip, it helps! Confirmed working, left my phone 20 minutes in the fridge => boot but freeze during LG animation (not cold enough)
left the device in the freezer for a moment => success boot, but freeze minutes later once it gets warmer

So... there is a problem with some hardware pieces..

It still took dozens of tries to get everything working over a couple of days but using this method I was able to backup all my data and even wipe the phone! Just keep trying and keep it cold in the freezer. Also, charge your battery to 100% constantly rebooting drained the battery quickly. The CPU gets hot even when it looks like its running fine, keep it in the freezer while it does its commands.

It's not *a little*. First time it succesfully booted once put 30-45 mins in freezer, but not enough, since it started freezing after a few minutes of use.

I managed to retrieve my data after leaving it for at least 1-2 hours in freezer.

HELLO.
THANK YOU EVERYBODY FOR YOUR INPUT.

I am getting a replacement in 3 days but I still want to get all of my data. It's great that it worked for all of you.

Though, I have not tried it because I'm afraid that it will trigger the LDI (Liquid Damage Indicator, apparently there is a white paper indicator that turns pink/red when in contact with water or moisture. It can be located either above the SIM/SD card slot (circle-shaped), near the battery contact (square-shaped) and/or on the battery itself (circle-shaped) - near the contact, also).

Did your device got wet or moist after you did this method? Any of your indicators turned pink or red?
Is there an extra precautious way to NOT get it moist or wet?

A reply is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thank you in advance,
Liv

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I tried it again to get a nandroid backup and merely freezing the phone did not work. I had to let it run in the freezer, I got the best performance with the back off and the phone resting on a bag of frozen vegetables. The second time I had two reboots but that may be because I didn't get the phone quite as cold as the first time I did it.

Phone is sent off to tmobile and the replacement is working great.

Challenge accepted! I'm putting mine in the freezer now. Then the plan is to boot it up, and if successfully booted, I'm gonna leave it in the freezer and sit in front of the freezer with my laptop and connect a USB to the phone (which will still be inside the freezer) :)
    All of this while in the office... LOL people are going to wonder...
    I'll let you know...

EDIT: Ok, so after 20min I tried booting it.. It actually booted up to the PIN-code screen and died. So I left it for about an hour... Same old problem, just reaches the LG logo and either shuts down or bootloops.

EDIT: Freezer doesn't work for me. At best I got to the PIN-code screen and then it died again. Tried the freezer up to 3hours with no luck. Thing is, the phone won't even enter bootloop anymore unless deepfrozen LMAO. Need to contact a Cryo-lab, get this thing sunk in liquid hydrogen :D

EDIT: Ok so, chanaged tactics. Hair-dryer got me past PIN-code screen. Opened gPhotos, started sync, then died.

EDIT: Tried hairdryer again and it booted... but I kept pumping it with heat in intervals so finally the overheating protection kicked in and prompted me that the phone is turning off. I'll go and argue with my carrier at their shop in the coming days...
    If you want a good laugh, take a look at the comments to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmE26S-9NrQ

EDIT: Actually I'm gonna try the video in the weekend since LG support told me that a repair will erase internal memory.
    To quote...
    LG Support: Unfortunately the internal memory won't be save during service. The only way to retrieve your data is to regularily back it up. E.g. through your google account.
    Me: ...or you don't manufacturer phones where thousands get a bootloop problem.
    ...then some kinder words about the fast support..then..
    LG: I'm sorry, this was not planned.
    LMAO!! Really? It wasn't

FINAL EDIT: OH MAN. My pictures are saved!!! followed the video I linked to earlier above (with the hilarious comments) but in another video a guy was saying that it probably wasn't enough using the hairdryer once. So I tried THREE times with the hairdryer... 6-7 min each time or until the overheat protection of the hairdryer kicked in. Even after that, it's not an exact science (LOL) it bootlooped once or twice but then... moment of magic. Phone stayed alive long for me to copy over all my pictures and other data.

PEACE OUT