FORUMS

Note 8 Symetry Otter Box

125 posts
Thanks Meter: 48

By mrcartagena2000, Senior Member on 1st October 2017, 09:19 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been a fan of otterbox cases for a long time, and used them exclusively until this case. The construction is generally what you would expect from Otterbox, but there are two issues with the case:

1) The case itself is very recessed from the edge of the phone. The phone itself sticks up above the case by a couple of millimeters, and the fit is not very snug/secure. This also means that the edges of the phone are very exposed, and I could see a side drop off of a desk or table as potentially disastrous.

2) This is my biggest complaint and a clear lack of QA. The cutout for the S-Pen covers the pen itself. Because of this, it is a chore to remove the pen from the case. The edges of the cutout are very high and not tapered at all, which means you can't just idly reach for the pen and let the case guide you in. This coupled with the fact that the case covers the port on the pen means that you have to put in some effort to even get the pen out of the case. To be clear, the pen will still come out, but you have to pull it past/around the soft rubber of the case. I confirmed this was a design issue by testing 3 other symmetry cases, all of which had the same flaw.

At least the case works with wireless chargers and Samsung pay, so that is a bonus. Will I use Otterbox products in the future? potentially, but not this one.

[URLhttp://www.otterbox.com/en-us/galaxy-note8/symmetry-series-case/sam28-galaxy-note8.htmlURL]

Sent from my SM-N950U using XDA-Developers Legacy app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrcartagena2000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrcartagena2000 Ad-Free
6th October 2017, 03:06 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Just got one from Wal-Mart and order 2 other cases on eBay. The otter box feels cheap
7th October 2017, 11:00 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag PNW
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Yeah I finally got rid of mine I found it quite disappointing

Sent from my SM-N950U using XDA-Developers Legacy app
26th October 2017, 11:00 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
I'd be pissed about a $50 case that seems to work as well as my $4 case (discounted from $15)
4th November 2017, 07:46 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 152

More
how responsive are the buttons? I had this case for my s7 edge and they required some force to get feedback. they weren't tactile at all
11th December 2017, 06:07 AM |#6  
Flag Greater Seattle Area
Thanks Meter: 161

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcartagena2000

I have been a fan of otterbox cases for a long time, and used them exclusively until this case. The construction is generally what you would expect from Otterbox, but there are two issues with the case:

1) The case itself is very recessed from the edge of the phone. The phone itself sticks up above the case by a couple of millimeters, and the fit is not very snug/secure. This also means that the edges of the phone are very exposed, and I could see a side drop off of a desk or table as potentially disastrous.....

I can confirm 100% that this is an issue, 3 days after I got my Note 8, which due to tmo sending early, was 5 days before official launch, My note 8 suffered catastrophic damage WITH this case on.

I put the case on it at the store, before it even left the table.
I have not needed a screen protector or ever needed to utilize my handset insurance as long as I've owned cell phones(nearly 15 years).

Moved into a new place with stone counters just a week before.... fumble phone, instead of letting it fall to the ground and hit the area rug, which would probably have done no damage at all. I tried to catch the phone and instead bopped it, it rolled over face down and slide across the edge of the stone counter across the exposed portion of the screen...

It took me a week and a half of fighting with insurance company to cover it because as far as they were concerned i was lying about the phone i owned because it hadn't been officially launched yet.......
7th May 2018, 07:26 PM |#7  
Flag Allentown
Thanks Meter: 14

Donate to Me
More
I have this case as well... it's causing my screen protector to lift up, so far on #3. It's protected my phone several times from falls although. The buttons seem to stick on occasion as well. Also, the rubber after pulling it on & off several times is becoming loose. Overall shitty case
7th June 2018, 07:14 AM |#8  
Flag Hell
Thanks Meter: 81

Donate to Me
More
I have used Otterbox cases for years. Until meow, my only beef is the built-in screen protectors. It appears that the newer models have omitted, because of their lack of effort/curved screens.
The OB Defender looks decent, but lacks screen protector and still has a holster, which I need/want.
However this is the first time in years that I have gone with something different.
I am using the Supcase Unicorn Beetle case. IMO< just as good, if not better. The stock screen protector fits nice and seems to be made of decent material. Does not have the annoying gap/super plastic feel like the OB has.
It also costs half as much.
The Following User Says Thank You to papabear For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift papabear Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)