FORUMS

Still on 7.1 samfail wanting to update to oreo or pie?

294 posts
Thanks Meter: 48

By thunderblaster88, Senior Member on 25th August 2019, 09:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm not sure where to post this but I'm still on samfail 7.1 rooted. Question is can I update to oreo or pie and gain root? I seen something about V5 and V6 bootloader can be rooted but not sure if that was for our snapdragon version and if I can just do maybe an update through odin? I'm missing xposed ugh...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
16th November 2019, 02:52 AM |#2  
Flag Miami
Thanks Meter: 240

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderblaster88

I'm not sure where to post this but I'm still on samfail 7.1 rooted. Question is can I update to oreo or pie and gain root? I seen something about V5 and V6 bootloader can be rooted but not sure if that was for our snapdragon version and if I can just do maybe an update through odin? I'm missing xposed ugh...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It is my understanding that you can root the v5 and v6 booatloaders. However, the process of rooting is limited to Android 7.1. So, in essence of your wanted root and you were in v5 or v6 you would have to install Android 7.1 through the pseudo TWRP available to those of us on the Snapdragon version and not really gain anything new. There is no root for Android 8/9 at this time. Because we cannot unlock the bootloader, we are limited to root on Android 7.1 at this time regardless of your bootloader.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL
30th January 2020, 03:35 PM |#3  
Flag Tampa, FL
Thanks Meter: 24

Donate to Me
More
I wouldnt fret too much, as PIE is pretty good, after much thinking about what apps really require root on a daily basis the upgrade was worth it as i get better battery life and not need any processor/kernel mods.

stability is awesome no more daily crashes

PIE theme / launcher is pretty nice, and you can always mod the launcher out or just install a different one and mod that one as if it were rooted.

just a thought if you were panicking like i was about leaving root for stock life, its not as bad as it seems on PIE i still have the feeling im going to need root but havnt had the need for it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)