FORUMS

SOLVED! S9 Messages app after Oreo update - getting duplicate texts

3,137 posts
Thanks Meter: 648

By dharvey4651, Retired Senior Moderator on 2nd April 2018, 06:24 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ok so I have a weird problem to report. After installing the latest Oreo update over-the-air from T-Mobile last night, I installed the Galaxy S9 messages app from apkmirror.com.

The messages that functions normally like you would expect it to but any time I get a text message from my wife who has a Galaxy S9, I get the text message twice. This issue can only be reproduced by receiving a text message from My Wife and nobody else.

I have been searching for a solution to this problem and I have already wiped the apps data and cache multiple times but nothing has fixed the problem.

Has anybody who has installed the S9 messages app from apkmirror.com run into the same problem and if so, how have you fixed it?

Update! I have officially figured out what is causing the duplicate text messages after updating to the latest messages app.

In the newest releases, like the ones that came on the S9 and S9+, samsung integrated the message service app into the messages app. This, for some, is causing duplicate text messages when receiving messages from people who are on the same service provider who's devices also have advanced messaging with chat features.

To fix the problem of duplicate texts, you will need to purchase and install package disabler pro ($2.50 - don't be cheap...) from the play store and disable message service app and reboot.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pdp.singleplay

That's all there is to it enjoy no longer getting duplicate text messages just as I am.

Happy Tuesday!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dharvey4651 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dharvey4651 Ad-Free
2nd April 2018, 07:01 PM |#2  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Olathe, Kansas

Donate to Me
More
I have uninstalled the updated version of messages for now until I can figure out what's going on... the duplicate messages were starting to give me a headache...
2nd April 2018, 10:18 PM |#3  
Flag Riverdale, Ga
Thanks Meter: 478

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharvey4651

I have uninstalled the updated version of messages for now until I can figure out what's going on... the duplicate messages were starting to give me a headache...

It was random when I got the duplicate messages but I uninstalled it because you can't schedule messages in the new messaging app either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
3rd April 2018, 12:09 AM |#4  
OP Retired Senior Moderator
Flag Olathe, Kansas

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerz

It was random when I got the duplicate messages but I uninstalled it because you can't schedule messages in the new messaging app either.

I've always had random duplicate messages ever since I had my galaxy s7. But they were just that, random.

What I was experiencing with this messages app was anything but random. It was constant with any of my T-Mobile using friends and family.

What made it irritating was that my wife texts me pretty much constantly all day and every message she sent would get delivered twice.
3rd April 2018, 05:20 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 2,383

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerz

Actually you can.....press the plus symbol on left and navigate to correct screen..
Click image for larger version

Name:	1522729210453.jpg
Views:	1418
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	4465185

Sent from my God Mode 8
The Following User Says Thank You to louforgiveno For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift louforgiveno Ad-Free
3rd April 2018, 10:38 AM |#6  
Flag Riverdale, Ga
Thanks Meter: 478

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by louforgiveno

Actually you can.....press the plus symbol on left and navigate to correct screen..
Attachment 4465185

Sent from my God Mode 8

Ah ok thanks

4th April 2018, 05:20 PM |#7  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 189

More
What are the advantages of having the s9 message app over the note 8 messaging app? Cause I see a lot of people installing the s9 message app on their note 8.

Sent from my [device_name] using XDA-Developers Legacy app
4th April 2018, 06:36 PM |#8  
Flag west new york
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildoggs

What are the advantages of having the s9 message app over the note 8 messaging app? Cause I see a lot of people installing the s9 message app on their note 8.

Nothing major just I can schedule a text and send a location within the app to where I am. Say i am somewhere and i want send the location to a friend it's easy and no need to open maps. Again nothing major. Also u can do gif search within the input unlike the key board that Samsung forgot to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to fearbasel04 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift fearbasel04 Ad-Free
4th April 2018, 06:53 PM |#9  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 189

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearbasel04

Nothing major just I can schedule a text and send a location within the app to where I am. Say i am somewhere and i want send the location to a friend it's easy and no need to open maps. Again nothing major. Also u can do gif search within the input unlike the key board that Samsung forgot to do.

Hey thanks for the reply. I was thinking about installing it but it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I'll stick to the proprietary note 8 app. Thanks again man.

The Following User Says Thank You to lildoggs For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift lildoggs Ad-Free
4th April 2018, 07:07 PM |#10  
Flag west new york
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildoggs

Hey thanks for the reply. I was thinking about installing it but it doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble. I'll stick to the proprietary note 8 app. Thanks again man.

Honestly your better off getting a different keyboard off play store. Gboard is good if not better. I know there are alot of keyboards that can do much more.
4th April 2018, 11:38 PM |#11  
Flag Phoenix Arizona
Thanks Meter: 49

More
try going to settings/apps/show system apps/message service clear data and clear cache.... we need updated message service apk, the last update was in Feb 2018
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)