FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Samsung Pay after Root

258 posts
Thanks Meter: 62
 
By Nihonno, Senior Member on 27th August 2015, 03:48 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello everyone,

I've been hopping around, trying to do some research on this but decided to make a post to confirm and also in hopes of informing others.

Is it true that once rooting the Note 5, we permanently lose Samsung Pay abilities due to tripping the KNOX meter?

Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nihonno For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Nihonno Ad-Free
 
 
27th August 2015, 04:33 AM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 79
 
More
Yes, the way Samsung designed Samsung pay is to make it as secure as possible, and unfortunately that includes blocking access on modded devices. Is there a way around this? I belive it would have to involve tricking Knox and I don't think it will be easy.

With that said, the galaxy s6 had a root that didn't trip knox. Even still, had to be extremely careful after that with flashing roms and such but it was b possible.

It's really the only thing that's going to make me think twice about rooting.

Sent from my SM-N920T using XDA Free mobile app
27th August 2015, 05:18 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 62
 
More
Indeed. I know there are alternatives like PayPal but what about Android Pay? Will we still be able to use that as an alternative, after root?
27th August 2015, 06:06 AM |#4  
-viperboy-'s Avatar
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag PA
Thanks Meter: 13,044
 
Donate to Me
More
I dug around the Korean Samsung pay apk that's floating around and I found where it's doing that check, it's just a matter of disabling it and seeing it it works. Also, the string says something to the effect of "this application won't work on rooted devices for security, please unroot your device to use Samsung pay". Notice it says unroot. We'll see what the reality is when we get our hands on the final US apk.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -viperboy- For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift -viperboy- Ad-Free
27th August 2015, 10:49 AM |#5  
Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
This is my only concern at this point. While I don't know for sure how much if at all I'll be using Samsung Pay, I don't want to root and trip Knox quite yet so I can at least try it when it's released.
The Following User Says Thank You to kelmino For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kelmino Ad-Free
27th August 2015, 11:43 AM |#6  
egren58's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 900
 
More
You guys are exactly in my situation. I want root but i think samsung pay might be a nice feature.. speacially sonce it works anywhere eith a card reader, not just tap and go.. only if they swipe only. Some how samsung pay still works... thats awesome

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to egren58 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift egren58 Ad-Free
27th August 2015, 06:48 PM |#7  
Quote:
Originally Posted by egren58

You guys are exactly in my situation. I want root but i think samsung pay might be a nice feature.. speacially sonce it works anywhere eith a card reader, not just tap and go.. only if they swipe only. Some how samsung pay still works... thats awesome

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

It has a magnet that emukayes your cards magnetic strip
27th August 2015, 07:04 PM |#8  
egren58's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 900
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nique0201

It has a magnet that emukayes your cards magnetic strip

All i know is thats awsome

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
28th August 2015, 09:19 AM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
What about if we used root cloak and or Xprivacy on xposed to hide detection of root or somthing? Maybe somone needs to create an app like root cloak that his the detection of it checking if you tripped Knox? Also why is everyone so worried about Samsung Pay Google Wallet allows you to use the app on rooted debices and it does the NFC paying and they send you a physical debit card. You can even send money to people through the app too.

Does Samsung Pay have some extra cool feature that Google Wallet Doesn't? I'm just asking cause I haven't looked into Samsung Pay. In my opinion if a pay system app can't be used on r root I'm not sure if I trust the app because they might think it will be hacked but they need to make it secure on all aspects.
28th August 2015, 12:42 PM |#10  
goobyjr9's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
I've been accepted into Samsung Pay beta testing and unfortunately since I've tripped knox this is what happens. I have the apk files for both the app and framework.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-28-04-26-56-1.png
Views:	8428
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	3454435  
The Following User Says Thank You to goobyjr9 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift goobyjr9 Ad-Free
28th August 2015, 02:41 PM |#11  
travisw0204's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,103
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbyillusion

What about if we used root cloak and or Xprivacy on xposed to hide detection of root or somthing? Maybe somone needs to create an app like root cloak that his the detection of it checking if you tripped Knox? Also why is everyone so worried about Samsung Pay Google Wallet allows you to use the app on rooted debices and it does the NFC paying and they send you a physical debit card. You can even send money to people through the app too.

Does Samsung Pay have some extra cool feature that Google Wallet Doesn't? I'm just asking cause I haven't looked into Samsung Pay. In my opinion if a pay system app can't be used on r root I'm not sure if I trust the app because they might think it will be hacked but they need to make it secure on all aspects.

I agree 1,000%. Google Wallet is accepted at a lot of places and works well while rooted. If I have to part with Samsung Pay to 1) Turn the camera shutter sound off on my phone via Root Explorer...2) Disable a bunch of Samsung bloat I don't use...3) Have the ability to back up my apps and data as well as restore them...4)Customize my phone using XPosed and Wanam on a deodexed stock rom...etc, then it's not even a close trade off. I'm going with root 3 times out of 4.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes