FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[ROOT/KERNEL] Root Method for FOG6 / 5.1.1

3,917 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,761

By ShinySide, Recognized Developer on 13th August 2015, 07:21 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

DO NOT USE ON FOF6 FIRMWARE. WILL "BREAK" YOUR CAMERA. CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE VERSION.

Root method for FOG6 / 5.1.1 for the G900t THIS WILL TRIP KNOX. If you don't want to trip knox don't use this. If you do use it and whine you tripped knox because you didn't read ,we will all point and laugh at you.

Named it TrapKernel because well its not my normal HispAsian Kernel and I listened to a crap ton of Trap Music while doing it.

Thanks to @g.lewarne and his root method with his Unibase and Unikernel for the s6 , we finally have root after I ported it over to us. So be sure to thank him for his work.

What's included:
Auto installation of root and busy box
SuperSu.apk
A stock build prop with secure storage set to false so wifi passwords and etc aren't forgotten after reboots.
Kernel set to permissive
Otherwise stock

So here's the deal. Stupid simple.

1. Download the kernel
2. Flash in recovery (if twrp asks if you want to install su say NO)
3. Reboot and profit.

If you need more detailed help go HERE

Download

TrapKernel G6 [TWRP ZIP]

TrapKernel G6 [ODIN TAR]

Do NOT mirror this link. That means you "Android Geeks".

Special thanks to:
@g.lewarne for the obvious reason of being awesome and his root method for the s6. I suggest donating to him here
@ashraf sharif for testing
@Chainfire for SuperSU

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to ShinySide For This Useful Post: [ View ]

13th August 2015, 07:21 PM |#2  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag IHB

Donate to Me
More
also mine
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShinySide For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2015, 07:58 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
This is wonderful. Thank you, sir.

EDIT: Works perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to z28james For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift z28james Ad-Free
13th August 2015, 08:38 PM |#4  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 100

More
i just flashed it and somehow it broke the fingerprint scanner. nvm after a reboot, it is working now.
13th August 2015, 08:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Awesome... thanks man!
13th August 2015, 10:01 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Thanks! Working good. This. Is the 5.1.1 we should have gotten.
13th August 2015, 11:00 PM |#7  
Flag Area 51(◕_◕)
Thanks Meter: 6,876

Donate to Me
More
So when I come BAck I have everything.... is this new update faster the older one. was so buggy like 4-5 random restarts and freezes
13th August 2015, 11:06 PM |#8  
Flag Tampa
Thanks Meter: 1,582

Donate to Me
More
I tripped Knox thanks bro ahaha!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to slickrick54 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift slickrick54 Ad-Free
14th August 2015, 01:18 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 43

More
edited. My questions seemed too dumb
14th August 2015, 01:29 AM |#10  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Great news about Trap Kernel root method for FOG6/5.1.1.

Background: I got a rooted TMobile GS5 4.4.2 last year and lately I had problems with storage from contact list file cache filling-up, over heating phone/cpu. Shortage of storage was fixed by clearing contacts app cache but still it prompted me to upgrade to 5.1.1 Lollipop, rooted earlier this week (see details below), but the camera app is broken. Glad that ShinySide was able to provide a Root method which won't break the camera app.

Just reviewed the detailed help links and took note about not letting TWRP install SU - note that I had let TWRP install SU with HispAsian kernel. I am using Android Unified toolkit PRO (with Odin3 v3.09), which was used to install TWRP 2.7.1.0 (latest available there). Before installing this new Trap Kernel when I get a chance:
Is it recommended to first update my current TWRP 2.7.1.0 to a newer version?
Is tripping Knox really an issue for phones if they are past 1 year since purchase (i.e. 1 yr manufacturer warranty expired)?

Thank you for clarifying,

Current system (rooted but broken camera app):
Baseboard: G900TUVU1FOG6
Kernel ver: 3.4.0_HispAsian_Kernel ShinySide #1 Thu Aug 6 23:52:39 2015
Build #: LMY47X.G900TUVU1FOG6
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0
14th August 2015, 03:59 AM |#11  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag IHB

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpluigi

Great news about Trap Kernel root method for FOG6/5.1.1.

Background: I got a rooted TMobile GS5 4.4.2 last year and lately I had problems with storage from contact list file cache filling-up, over heating phone/cpu. Shortage of storage was fixed by clearing contacts app cache but still it prompted me to upgrade to 5.1.1 Lollipop, rooted earlier this week (see details below), but the camera app is broken. Glad that ShinySide was able to provide a Root method which won't break the camera app.

Just reviewed the detailed help links and took note about not letting TWRP install SU - note that I had let TWRP install SU with HispAsian kernel. I am using Android Unified toolkit PRO (with Odin3 v3.09), which was used to install TWRP 2.7.1.0 (latest available there). Before installing this new Trap Kernel when I get a chance:
Is it recommended to first update my current TWRP 2.7.1.0 to a newer version?
Is tripping Knox really an issue for phones if they are past 1 year since purchase (i.e. 1 yr manufacturer warranty expired)?

Thank you for clarifying,

Current system (rooted but broken camera app):
Baseboard: G900TUVU1FOG6
Kernel ver: 3.4.0_HispAsian_Kernel ShinySide #1 Thu Aug 6 23:52:39 2015
Build #: LMY47X.G900TUVU1FOG6
Recovery: TWRP 2.7.1.0

Flash which ever version. I always use the latest

You've already tripped Knox considering you have HispAsian kernel installed.

Install this kernel camera will work

An updated hispasian will be posted soon. It's already up to date plus some as the F6 version, I was just waiting for Kernel Auditor to accept a pull request so we're officially supported by its kernel download feature so I can push updates thru the app and can flash it via the app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShinySide For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)