Hello all, I have been driving myself mad all night trying to root my friends phone because it's close to unusable today. I figured I give him root to help with battery and memory.
All the root methods listed in this forum technically will work but only with a custom ROM which will very likely require a custom kernel and bootloader.
Today I save your time and sanity with the latest and greatest in root technology. MAGISK.
Stock G900T ROM (For if you mess up)
Official Magisk Thread - Grab the zip
I ran into some weird behavior during this so be sure to read carefully and follow everything word for word.
- Put magisk zip on an sd card or internal storage of the phone
- Ensure drivers are installed. Open Odin and put device in Download mode. (Hold power, volume down and home until you arrive at the download mode screen), Plugin the phone and make sure you see "added"
- If you don't see the added dialogue install the proper drivers for the phone.
- If you see added, you can move on.
2. Flash TWRP:
- In the options tab make sure only F. Reset time is checked.
- Select the box AP and navigate to the TWRP tar.md5 file, the UI will stop responding for a minute while it calculates and checks the md5 hash to authenticate it.
- Then hit start, wait until the box says PASS. If you forgot to uncheck reboot, quickly put the device into recovery mode. (Holding power, volume up and the home button)
- If the phone is still in download mode just put it in recovery mode, and allow TWRP to modify.
3. Flash Magisk
- Don't worry here, Magisk is systemless and if something goes wrong there are no consequences. Go to install and navigate to magisk zip file.
- Swipe to flash it.
4. Check. Make sure root works. Use a root check app like the one by JRummyapps.
- grab a couple apps that require root and test them, make sure magisk can give root perms.
- There's a possibility that Magisk's app wasn't installed correctly. You can extract the zip to get the APK file from inside and install it manually.
- If magisk manager is installed, and you can't seem to get the superuser perms, install SuperSU, and install the supersu binary via TWRP/CWM
- You can now choose which super user you want.
- Uninstall Magisk by going to the app and hitting install, count to 5 then reboot.
- Go back to SuperSU and install the binary again via TWRP.
- You should now have root.
- Uninstall SuperSU my removing the app.
- Test a root needing app if it doesn't work, reboot to recovery and reflash magisk, then reboot to android, and test again, you should have root.