[Root][Guide] How to Root SM-G900T, Any Firmware

Search This thread

MichaelFrei

May 17, 2017
You can download TWRP for the SM-G900T & T3 here:
https://dl.twrp.me/klte/

I'm currently using the 2.8.7.0 version, which works well for me.
https://dl.twrp.me/klte/twrp-2.8.7.0-klte.img.tar.html

Rob

Hey Rob, I tried your input.

Capture.PNG

After Flashing, I get this,

FullSizeRender.jpg

I guess, I should add that I did run this process from the VM, but will try again from the actual machine once it is done restoring, and see what happens. Regardless, thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

Last edited:

rlichtefeld

Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Hey Rob, I tried your input.

View attachment 4154126

After Flashing, I get this,

View attachment 4154127

I guess, I should add that I did run this process from the VM, but will try again from the actual machine once it is done restoring, and see what happens. Regardless, thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

Have you OEM Unlocked your phone?

Under Settings, go to General > Developer Options and make sure OEM Unlock is checked.

Then, try to flash TWRP.

Rob

MichaelFrei

May 17, 2017
Have you OEM Unlocked your phone?

Under Settings, go to General > Developer Options and make sure OEM Unlock is checked.

Then, try to flash TWRP.

Rob

I enabled the Dev mode but I do not have that option.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I enabled the Dev mode but I do not have that option.

Hey Rob, thanks a million. I tried it again outside the VM, and it worked. I also used a different cable. Not sure what made the difference. Anyhow thank you so much!

Used Odin 3.9 and the File you pointed out. Then navigated to the file ("SU") and it worked.

Juggernaut2015

May 21, 2017
hi! I followed steps, tried with twrp-3.0.2-2-klte.img.tar, twrp-3.1.0-1-klte.img.tar and twrp-2.8.7.0-klte.img.tar but reaches "recovery.img" and that's all. I have same baseband G900TUVS1GQA2 than someone who could do it (prepperr at #113, page 12), also G900T. Any idea, please? Very thanks! Greetings from Argentina

slacktheplanet

Sep 28, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Moto G Power
hi! I followed steps, tried with twrp-3.0.2-2-klte.img.tar, twrp-3.1.0-1-klte.img.tar and twrp-2.8.7.0-klte.img.tar but reaches "recovery.img" and that's all. I have same baseband G900TUVS1GQA2 than someone who could do it (prepperr at #113, page 12), also G900T. Any idea, please? Very thanks! Greetings from Argentina

Odin can be picky. Have you tried different cables and USB ports? Are you using the original cable that came with the device and are you running Odin as administrator?

Juggernaut2015

May 21, 2017
problem solved

Odin can be picky. Have you tried different cables and USB ports? Are you using the original cable that came with the device and are you running Odin as administrator?
Very thanks! Finally I could download CF-root from chainfire after updating bandbase. It seems that the problem was this. Now, freezing all T-Mobile applications, useless here. And I'll see what else

JJEEGG2211

Dec 31, 2013
Makati
I just wanted to give a big thank you to all you guys! :D
I was able to root my
SM-G900T,
baseband G900TUVU1GQC2

Although, I needed to factory reset my phone. Probably because it needed to "refresh" all the stuff I tried before.

Thank you! :good: :D

Reactions: slacktheplanet

davidbstylin

Nov 8, 2016
Am I just that stupid or what

I am trying to root my s5. I am not a computer guy at all but I would like to think that at the minimum I can follow directions. it says to Odin and select the AP button then select the twrp file. Well I would like to know if anyone ever really tries anything they post before posting it. The twrp file is a img file but Odin wants an ap file. It does not work. I will say i am sorry in advance if it is so simple and I am that dumb. If not can anyone actually explain how I can root my phone. Thank you

equitube

Feb 27, 2014
OnaHill
Awesome Job!
Very easy root. (Chainfire is awesome) Very well explained (you are awesome). This is one tutorial I will steer students towards in the future. Keep it up.

(one tiny thing, in the tutorial, after Odin indicated success, you next say to reboot into recovery. Some may not know to disconnect from PC first, think it failed, and restart (though it only rewrites stock) anyway, got ROMs to flash, test and write,

Cheers
Equi

njrootp

Nov 6, 2017
el Paso
Question on version of firmware effected

Hi I have the Samsung galaxy s5 note. First will this method work with note 5? My phone is currently locked with t mobile. Beyond rooting, will this method unlock my phone so I can change carriers and modify the current firmware (boot loader etc)? Any help appreciated.

njrootp

Nov 6, 2017
el Paso
Will this method work on Samsung galaxy s5 note (sm920t)

Question on version of firmware effected
Hi I have the Samsung galaxy s5 note (sm920t) . First will this method work with note 5 (sm920t)? My phone is currently locked with t mobile. Beyond rooting, will this method unlock my phone so I can change carriers and modify the current firmware (boot loader etc)? Any help appreciated.

lothian

Apr 24, 2014
Same problem here. I followed the Preparation and each "Step" instruction as written in the lead post by thisisapoorusernamechoice but I'd get a "FAIL" within Odin. The fix for me was to enable "OEM Unlock" as suggested by rlichtefeld --thanks, btw, rlichtefeld for posting that.

Hey, thisisapoorusernamechoice... update the "Preparation" section of your instructions! Folks shouldn't have to parse thru the thread to find this important tidbit you neglect to include in your original post.

mgp53

Same problem here. I followed the Preparation and each "Step" instruction as written in the lead post by thisisapoorusernamechoice but I'd get a "FAIL" within Odin. The fix for me was to enable "OEM Unlock" as suggested by rlichtefeld --thanks, btw, rlichtefeld for posting that.

Hey, thisisapoorusernamechoice... update the "Preparation" section of your instructions! Folks shouldn't have to parse thru the thread to find this important tidbit you neglect to include in your original post.

Gee, I spent WEEKS absorbing all the steps to root my first phone. There was no "guide" offered by a user. There are many variants in the phones and the process. To scold a user for not covering every possible issue, and walking you through the process seems kind of lame, IMHO.
BTW, I didn't have to enable OEM unlock to root 3 different T-Mobile SM-G900T handsets.

Sent from my SM-G900T

Does this still work SM-G900T Base band: G900TUVU1GQC2 Android 6.0.1

I used this as a guide, but as I run Linux and not Windows, I had to use Heimdall instead of Odin.

[UPDATE] I retried this using the directed version, only rebooting without wipe, etc. I had to use Heimdall, not Odin, but aside from --no-reboot and --resume, it works fine. I downloaded and used the version of TWRP that was recommended in OP, flashed that via Heimdall, no problem. Rebooted to recovery, no problem. Flashed SuperSU as linked in OP, no problem. Rebooted normal. No SuperSU app in the drawer, no su found in adb shell. No dice.
[/UPDATE]

I now have a ROMmed. BUT NOT ROOTED (that I can tell), Galaxy S5.

It may be because of the ROM I chose: Resurrection Remix Oreo.

I only just now noticed I used the latest TWRP (3.2.1-0), not the version listed in the text (3.0.2-2). I don't think it should matter, but maybe it does.

I rebooted the phone to Download mode.

I ran "heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.2.1-0-klte.img --no-reboot" (because I read somewhere that recovery had to be flashed twice on many phones before it stayed). I then had to power cycle the phone (for some reason Heimdall doesn't handle the "--resume" flag after using "--no-reboot" very well) and I did it again.

I then booted recovery, saw TWRP installed, and navigated to the SU update. Flashed it.

I then flashed the ROM I chose. Or maybe I flashed the ROM first and then SU? I forget.

Wipe dalvik, reboot...

Wait thirty-plus minutes, still cycling bootanimation.

Pull battery, reflash both, cycles bootanimation.

Pull battery, reflash ROM, boots in a couple minutes. Okay, so SU no go?

Could be the ROM, could be I used the wrong recovery, could be the fact I'm on the GQC2 bootloader. But I don't have root. I checked developer options and selected root access for ADB only (made no difference) and ensured android debugging is enabled (shouldn't make a difference on device itself, just on ADB over USB), I also enabled the local terminal, and any time I try "su" on terminal or in ADB, it says "su: not found".

Clearly I did something wrong, or the bootloader stops it. HTH.

Last edited:
Reactions: davfchap5542

slacktheplanet

Sep 28, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Moto G Power
I used this as a guide, but as I run Linux and not Windows, I had to use Heimdall instead of Odin.

[UPDATE] I retried this using the directed version, only rebooting without wipe, etc. I had to use Heimdall, not Odin, but aside from --no-reboot and --resume, it works fine. I downloaded and used the version of TWRP that was recommended in OP, flashed that via Heimdall, no problem. Rebooted to recovery, no problem. Flashed SuperSU as linked in OP, no problem. Rebooted normal. No SuperSU app in the drawer, no su found in adb shell. No dice.
[/UPDATE]

I now have a ROMmed. BUT NOT ROOTED (that I can tell), Galaxy S5.

It may be because of the ROM I chose: Resurrection Remix Oreo.

I only just now noticed I used the latest TWRP (3.2.1-0), not the version listed in the text (3.0.2-2). I don't think it should matter, but maybe it does.

I rebooted the phone to Download mode.

I ran "heimdall flash --RECOVERY twrp-3.2.1-0-klte.img --no-reboot" (because I read somewhere that recovery had to be flashed twice on many phones before it stayed). I then had to power cycle the phone (for some reason Heimdall doesn't handle the "--resume" flag after using "--no-reboot" very well) and I did it again.

I then booted recovery, saw TWRP installed, and navigated to the SU update. Flashed it.

I then flashed the ROM I chose. Or maybe I flashed the ROM first and then SU? I forget.

Wipe dalvik, reboot...

Wait thirty-plus minutes, still cycling bootanimation.

Pull battery, reflash both, cycles bootanimation.

Pull battery, reflash ROM, boots in a couple minutes. Okay, so SU no go?

Could be the ROM, could be I used the wrong recovery, could be the fact I'm on the GQC2 bootloader. But I don't have root. I checked developer options and selected root access for ADB only (made no difference) and ensured android debugging is enabled (shouldn't make a difference on device itself, just on ADB over USB), I also enabled the local terminal, and any time I try "su" on terminal or in ADB, it says "su: not found".

Clearly I did something wrong, or the bootloader stops it. HTH.

I'm using Resurrection Remix on my G900T and have root. I used Magisk. Used ADB to push it after installation of ROM and has worked every time I've done it (I do clean install every ROM update). I recommend you give it a try.

Reactions: cj chitwood
I eventually found a ROM that works. Had to search to find a nougat version of resurrection remix, but it has root when I need it and bugs are few (and not necessarily in the ROM but in the apps I've loaded afterward). I don't see SuperSU nor Magisk on here, though, so I assume (without going back to check) that it's cooked into the ROM.

It's getting difficult to find ROMs as popular ones go away in favor of newer device support. RR Nougat isn't my ideal, but it's nice. After following dead links for a few days I was fortunate to find an archive somewhere with Nougat RR so I stuck with that and gave up on any further searches. I tried Oreo but I don't remember if I didn't like it or if it was somehow broken on my phone (or wouldn't boot).

Reactions: slacktheplanet

slacktheplanet

Sep 28, 2015
Baltimore, MD
Moto G Power
I eventually found a ROM that works. Had to search to find a nougat version of resurrection remix, but it has root when I need it and bugs are few (and not necessarily in the ROM but in the apps I've loaded afterward). I don't see SuperSU nor Magisk on here, though, so I assume (without going back to check) that it's cooked into the ROM.

It's getting difficult to find ROMs as popular ones go away in favor of newer device support. RR Nougat isn't my ideal, but it's nice. After following dead links for a few days I was fortunate to find an archive somewhere with Nougat RR so I stuck with that and gave up on any further searches. I tried Oreo but I don't remember if I didn't like it or if it was somehow broken on my phone (or wouldn't boot).

I've got the Oreo version of RR working on my S5 (G900T) with no issues if you want to give it another go. TWRP version shouldn't matter. Just flash the ROM and some Gapps and reboot. I separately downloaded Magisk to root it and it worked great. I'm using Magisk 16.4 Beta.

Reactions: cj chitwood

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BACKGROUND: OK this question gets asked every day, by members of varying skill levels, so this is intended to be a one stop guide on how to root, no matter what firmware version you're running. Yes this will trip Knox, no that will have no effect on your phone whatsoever, and there are ways to reset the Knox counter. If worst comes to worst and you need to bring your phone in for warranty and they give you any sort of lip for the Knox counter, tell them Kies broke your phone and they da** well better fix it (worked for me with multiple Samsung devices).

That said, this will root the SM-G900T (T-Mobile Galaxy S5) no matter what version of android you're running. Make sure you read this entire post and understand everything before trying anything.

PREPARATION: Disclaimer out of the way, now for the fun stuff. First, preparation, you need to download the following files to your PC: Odin 3.11.1 (this is Odin, it flashes stuff to Samsung android phones); twrp-3.0.2-2-klte.img.tar (this is the custom recovery we're going to use). Extract the Odin zip file to your PC's Desktop. Download the file named UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.79-20161211114519.zip somewhere to your phone's internal storage or external SD, doesn't really matter which. Now in your phone's settings, go to About device, scroll down to Build number. Repeatedly tap Build number until your phone tells you Developer options have been turned on. Go back and enter developer options, enable USB debugging and hit OK. At this point you'll want to connect your phone to your PC with USB, just to make sure it actually connects (it should). If not, you can download the USB drivers from here (scroll down to Downloads section), but most likely this won't be necessary. OK prep work done, now we get to actually get started on rooting our phone. Make sure your phone has at least 50% battery, this is always a smart safety step.

STEPS:
    1. Power off the phone. Boot into download mode (hold vol-, home, and power all at once in that order), then hit vol+ to continue
    2. Run Odin (double click the Odin3 v3.11.1.exe file). Click the Options tab, disable the "Auto-Reboot" option and double check that "Re-Partition" option is disabled (it should be by default), this is critical to success
    3. Connect phone via USB. Hit AP button in Odin, select the twrp-3.0.2-2-klte.img.tar
    4. Flash (click start). When it's done, the progress bar will be full and Odin should say "PASS!"
    5. Hold vol+, home, and power (all at once, in that order) to boot into recovery. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE REBOOTING NORMALLY!. TWRP might ask if you want to let it modify your system or keep it read only. I would highly recommend you let it modify your system, you might be OK keeping it read only, but I cannot guarantee that. You will be fine letting it modify your system, that I can guarantee.
    6. Hit the install option and navigate to the SuperSU zip file that is saved to your tablet. Select it and swipe to install.
    7. Reboot system (normal reboot). If TWRP should ask you, do not let it install supersu the way it wants to (do not swipe to install, just reboot).
    8. When android is booted, run the superSU app and go into settings, disable the Mount namespace separation option, and reboot immediately.

Please note the first boot might take a while. If after 10 minutes or so the phone has not rebooted, you should boot back into TWRP, install the supersu zip file again, and this time wipe cache and dalvik before rebooting. Otherwise the cache and dalvik wipe is not necessary. I will eventually post pictures to demonstrate all the steps in the 2nd post, and hopefully FAQs or whatever in the third post.

If you want to hit the thanks button that would be awesome, but the real credit goes to chainfire for his amazing work with supersu and really just all things root in general; and Dees_Troy for doing an excellent job developing and maintaining TWRP custom recovery for our device. They're the real heroes, I just wrote up this guide
    Pictures to Demonstrate Steps

Sorry all the pictures are sideways. If you want, you can still view them by clicking the following link, file names begin with corresponding step numbers: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wgguior3q2c6638/AAAzas50Zd-Du7jNXI3HsZU2a?dl=0

Proof I have the SM-G900T, latest 5.1.1 firmware, unmodified:
    Prep%20-%20Phone%20Back.JPG
    Prep%20-%20Phone%20Info%20Again.JPG
    Prep%20-%20Stock%20Samsung%20Screen%2C%20no%20mods%20yet.JPG
    Step 1:
    01%20Boot%20into%20Download%20mode.JPG
    01.1%20What%20Download%20Mode%20actually%20looks%20like.JPG
    Step 2:
    02.1%20Odin%20first%20started%20up.png
    02.2%20Odin%20auto-reboot%20disabled.png
    Step 3:
    03%20Odin%20TWRP%20file%20selected.png
    Step 4:
    4%20Odin%20finished.png
    Step 5:
    05%20TWRP%20first%20step.JPG
    05.1%20TWRP%20homescreen.JPG
    Step 6:
    06%20TWRP%20after%20I%20pressed%20install.JPG
    06.1%20TWRP%20navigated%20to%20supersu%20zip.JPG
    06.3%20Selected%20supersu%20zip%20file%20about%20to%20install.JPG
    06.4%20Installing%20supersu%20zip%20file.JPG
    06.6%20Done%20installing.JPG
    Step 7:
    07%20I%20hit%20reboot%2C%20do%20NOT%20swipe%20to%20install%20here%2C%20just%20reboot.JPG
    Step 8:
    08%20Booted%20back%20up%2C%20there%27s%20supersu%20app.JPG
    08.1%20Open%20supersu%20app%2C%20go%20to%20settings.JPG
    08.2%20Disable%20Mount%20namespace%20separation%20then%20IMMEDIATELY%20REBOOT.JPG
    Proof We're Now Rooted:
    DONE%20-%20After%20rebooting%2C%20I%20ran%20root%20checker.JPG
    DONE%20-%20Rootchecker%20says%20success.JPG
    FAQ's

Does this method work with the new marshmallow (6.0.1) firmware?
    Yes. I have done it myself, it works

So I'm rooted now what?
    Once you're rooted, you can use certain apps you would be unable to use not rooted. A few I would definitely recommend checking out: AdAway (an adblocker), Viper4Android (significantly, noticeably improve your audio quality by tweaking the settings in this app), Titanium Backup (not only backup and restore app settings, but freeze/uninstall unwanted system apps, aka bloatware), and a root-enabled file explorer such as Root Browser or ES File Explorer (with the root option enabled) is recommended. If you plan to install Viper4Android, before doing so please first flash this file in TWRP and then reboot, edit the following lines in the file /system/build.prop, and reboot again once the edits are made:
    Code:
    lpa.decode=true to lpa.decode=false 
    tunnel.decode=true to tunnel.decode=false
    lpa.use-stagefright=true to lpa.use-stagefright=false

Where can I find custom ROMs for this phone?
    Touchwiz (Samsung's version of Android similar to the one that comes stock with the phone) based ROMs can be found in the T-Mobile Galaxy S5 Android Development Section. AOSP (Google's original version of Android) based ROMs, such as CyanogenMod, AOKP, Mokee, Bliss, AICP, Resurrection-Remix, etc. can be found in the S5 Unified Development Section. I must warn you i can give a lot more information on the aosp based ROMs since that is my personal preference in overall Android experience, as a result my knowledge of touchwiz based development is much shakier. To each their own, and we ought to cherish android's ability to give us such a powerful freedom of choice and fight for this continued ability for our control of our personal devices against current trends of locking everything down too tight to allow for true development based innovation. Remember, when getting ROMs from this section, this phone's development name is klte (as opposed to kltevzw, kltespr, klteusc, etc.)

More info to come
    Reserved, FAQ's or something
    It works is cm stable

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:32 PM ----------

BACKGROUND: OK this question gets asked every day, by members of varying skill levels, so this is intended to be a one stop guide on how to root, no matter what firmware version you're running. Yes this will trip Knox, no that will have no effect on your phone whatsoever, and there are ways to reset the Knox counter. If worst comes to worst and you need to bring your phone in for warranty and they give you any sort of lip for the Knox counter, tell them Kies broke your phone and they da** well better fix it (worked for me with multiple Samsung devices).

That said, this will root the SM-G900T (T-Mobile Galaxy S5) no matter what version of android you're running. Make sure you read this entire post and understand everything before trying anything.

PREPARATION: Disclaimer out of the way, now for the fun stuff. First, preparation, you need to download the following files to your PC: Odin 3.10.7 (this is Odin, it flashes stuff to Samsung android phones); twrp-3.0.2-1-klte.img.tar (this is the custom recovery we're going to use). Extract the Odin zip file to your PC's Desktop. Download the file named BETA-SuperSU-v2.71-20160331103524.zip somewhere to your phone's internal storage or external SD, doesn't really matter which. Now in your phone's settings, go to About device, scroll down to Build number. Repeatedly tap Build number until your phone tells you Developer options have been turned on. Go back and enter developer options, enable USB debugging and hit OK, also enable Allow mock locations a couple lines below it. At this point you'll want to connect your phone to your PC with USB, just to make sure it actually connects (it should). If not, you can download the USB drivers from here (scroll down to Downloads section), but most likely this won't be necessary. OK prep work done, now we get to actually get started on rooting our phone. Make sure your phone has at least 50% battery, this is always a smart safety step.

STEPS:
    1. Power off the phone. Boot into download mode (hold vol-, home, and power all at once in that order), then hit vol+ to continue
    2. Run Odin (double click the Odin3 v3.10.7.exe file). Click the Options tab, disable the "Auto-Reboot" option and double check that "Re-Partition" option is disabled (it should be by default), this is critical to success
    3. Connect phone via USB. Hit AP button in Odin, select the twrp-3.0.2-1-klte.img.tar
    4. Flash (click start). When it's done, the progress bar will be full and Odin should say "PASS!"
    5. Hold vol+, home, and power (all at once, in that order) to boot into recovery. THIS MUST BE DONE BEFORE REBOOTING NORMALLY!. TWRP might ask if you want to let it modify your system or keep it read only. I would highly recommend you let it modify your system, you might be OK keeping it read only, but I cannot guarantee that. You will be fine letting it modify your system, that I can guarantee.
    6. Hit the install option and navigate to the SuperSU zip file that is saved to your tablet. Select it and swipe to install.
    7. Reboot system (normal reboot). If TWRP should ask you, do not let it install supersu the way it wants to (do not swipe to install, just reboot).
    8. When android is booted, run the superSU app and go into settings, disable the Mount namespace separation option, and reboot immediately.

Please note the first boot might take a while. If after 10 minutes or so the phone has not rebooted, you should boot back into TWRP, install the supersu zip file again, and this time wipe cache and dalvik before rebooting. Otherwise the cache and dalvik wipe is not necessary. I will eventually post pictures to demonstrate all the steps in the 2nd post, and hopefully FAQs or whatever in the third post.
    @lox2013
    Cm 13 is instill thanks to u should get all the credit BC nobody else find out

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
    twrp-3.0.2-1-klte.img.tar 10.6M
    twrp-3.0.2-1-klte.img 10.6M
    do I need both of these or just the very top one. I downloaded both ? in the event they are bother needed. but what one will we be using here Sir or Ma'am.

You just need the twrp-3.0.2-1-klte.img.tar 10.6M