FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

T-mo version has FM radio active and working

951 posts
Thanks Meter: 274

By pete4k, Senior Member on 23rd April 2017, 05:04 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
FYI for those who care, despite what most reviews I read said, my T-mo S8 FM radio works fine: just download next radio from Google, plug in headphones for antenna and you all set.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pete4k For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pete4k Ad-Free

23rd April 2017, 05:29 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 31

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4k

FYI for those who care, despite what most reviews I read said, my T-mo S8 FM radio works fine: just download next radio from Google, plug in headphones for antenna and you all set.

Hey Thanks for that find! What a pleasant surprise to find that a FM radio tuner is included in my Galaxy S8! I just installed that "next radio" app and receiving all my local FM radio stations here in NYC area using the AKG supplied earphone cord plugged in as the antenna. The tuner even seems to be really sensitive picking up the signals really well.
What a nice bonus to have built into this T-Mobile S8 phone. I would suspect that all the other S8 variants have the radio built in also...?
The Following User Says Thank You to Infobits For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Infobits Ad-Free
23rd April 2017, 05:34 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
AT&T here and works like a charm.
The Following User Says Thank You to mkalbarc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mkalbarc Ad-Free
23rd April 2017, 05:37 PM |#4  
Flag Cosmos
Thanks Meter: 2,026

More
Most excellent! Kudos
23rd April 2017, 06:00 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
If its in a tmobile phone isnt it in all of them?? seems really really odd if samsung made a phone specifically just for tmobile with different hardware in it
23rd April 2017, 07:38 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 111

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokuk

If its in a tmobile phone isnt it in all of them?? seems really really odd if samsung made a phone specifically just for tmobile with different hardware in it

Yes they all have but some carriers lock the the chip(fm receiver)
23rd April 2017, 07:43 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini002

Yes they all have but some carriers lock the the chip(fm receiver)

great, so if i have sim free then i have fm radio!! didnt even know it had one, didnt see it in any of the specs!!

I can't see next radio on the play store though. i googled it on my pc and play store said it was not compatible with any of my devices, and refused to install. im using S8+ sim free G955F! I guess exynos doesn't have the fm receiver
23rd April 2017, 08:26 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
I saw at least one review where it said no FM radio. Now, as far as I know all Qualcom Snapdragons have radio build in, but often they're disabled. I do not know if Exynos have it? Being on 9/11 in Manhattan and during znd after Hurricane Sandy on Long Island, having FM radio in your phone could be more than just convenience, especially that I do not have battery operated radio anymore except in a car and now in the phone.
23rd April 2017, 08:49 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Verizon here. FM radio is working
The Following User Says Thank You to androidbuff123 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift androidbuff123 Ad-Free
4th May 2017, 10:19 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Anyway to get this working with bluetooth headset ?
5th May 2017, 01:48 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
You need wired headset to act as antenna. You could get old headphones, cut them off and try using shorter wire alone as antenna, but I do not know if you can reroute sound from headphones to speakers or BT. I used to have old phone that had a switch in menu, where sound could bypass headphones and go to speaker or BT even with headphones plugged in, but don't think S8 has this capability and it would have to be hacked somehow.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)