D851 Marshmallow root and install fulmics 5.1(5.2,5.3)

Search This thread

Semi Fahid

Jun 4, 2016
Hello everyone.
I am newbie here.
I own t-mobiles lg g3 and updraded to marshmallow as the ota updates became available. But due to certain reasons, i wanted to install custom rom. The primary hurdle was rooting the device. Through trial and error method i have now successfully installed the fulmics 5.3.
I want to share my experience in this regard.

Device : d851 ( t-mobile lg g3)
Software veesion : 6.0 official marshmallow.

Root :-
Through mobile's browser, google for kingsroot. Download and install. ( donot reboot as this is temporary root, one the cell is rebooted the device will regain its previous status).
download twrp.image for d851 and save in sd card.
Now download flashify from play store and open the app. It will give three options. Select the first option ( browse image file or some thing like this) and select the twrp file you have recently downloaded. The flash will b completed in few seconds.
Congratulations, you have installed twrp.
Download a copy of custom rom ( fulmics 5.1 recommended) and save in sd card.
Now reboot the device in recovery mood ( either by turning off the cell, and then pressing simultaneously volume down+ power button, as the lg logo appears, release the power key and again press it. You will see two options, select the YES twice.
In recovery mode, first select wipe, advance wipe, system and then slide to wipe. Once done, go back and install the custom rom. After the successful installation, dont select the reboot option. Instead go back and again select wipe, factory reset.
congratulations, rom has been installed.
But you will observe sim card is not read by device. This is because cell was not properly rooted. To tackle this problem, download the modem file for D851 and flash it.
Enjoy the new custom rom.
Thanx.
Sorry for poor presentation and, offcourse, my weak english.

Semi Fahid

Jun 4, 2016
If i may ask you, where can we get the modem and which one do you recommend? I have tried this and always i get the imei, baseband and number unknown

Enviado desde mi LG-D851 mediante Tapatalk

google for this
downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G3/D851/stock_partitions/30D/LG-D85130D-Flashable.Modem.zip

btxpress1

Jun 13, 2016
Sure could have saved a lot of time if I had found this first.

I did install TWRP using a kingroot temporary root, got lost in a boot loop installing Fulmics 5.1 lost my data connection and imei information and finally downgraded back to stock Marshmallow feeling blessed to have restored my data connection. Had just finished transferring the flashable modem zip over to the SD card with an idea that I would try to move the mountain once more when I stumbled across your post which is priceless with the wealth of solutions to the problems I've had to overcome with the install. Flashify was the route to go. Lost TWRP on last flash and was just about to go through my torturous route of installing Fulmics 5.1 from scratch (root/adb/twrp/rom/bootable modem/etc.. Instead in the time it took to sign up so I could thank you for the easiest directions to this LG G3 D851 nightmare, I'm up an running on Fulmics 5.1 with full data connection. Your method eliminated a lot of the problems introduced by going the other route. Also you highlighted the main things. The factory reset is crucial and with the tricky temp root of Kingroot, it's easy to get stuck. Same with SuperSU flash/WRP and the modem flash. This should be a sticky on most sites related to LG G3 because it is the simplest way to go.

mrjoeyloke

Aug 29, 2009
Jesus christ! Is this the only way to root my t-mobile D851? Seems like this is a dangerous way to live! Lol. But Really...

sriram1232000

Jul 23, 2016
I am a newbie and do not have much experience with rooting or installing flash. But I followed your instruction and installed the fulmics.. I am struggling to flash the modem file. Can you please provide step by step instruction to do that pls. I am using flashify app

But you will observe sim card is not read by device. This is because cell was not properly rooted. To tackle this problem, download the modem file for D851 and flash it.

mpces

Feb 12, 2013
boise
I am no expert either, but I believe you need to flash it in TWRP. Boot in to TWRP recovery and flash the modem zip. TWRP recovery-> Install-> modem zip-> reboot when finished

magnafides

Aug 21, 2010
KingoRoot just seems shady to me, I wouldn't touch it personally. Here's what I did (just yesterday), from Stock MM Unrooted:
  1. Downgrade back to original factory stock image: http://www.androidexplained.com/downgrade-lg-g3/
  2. Root (used PurpleDrake "manual" method as auto script didn't work): http://lgg3root.com/lg-g3-root/how-to-root-lg-g3/
  3. Once rooted, install SuperSU & TWRP Manager from Play Store
  4. From TWRP Manager install latest version of TWRP
  5. Boot into TRWP and do a factory reset/clear cache; flash ROM (Blisspop for me, but same general steps should apply for any ROM) and Gapps from TWRP; factory reset/clear cache again for good measure

Edit: Data works with 20B modem.

Last edited:
Reactions: lalomol05 and mpces

ehtisham ali

Jul 12, 2015
How to prevent apps from being unistalled in stock rom? In other roms u can lock the package installer .
In stock simply u just hold and drag the app to unistall button . installation of an app can be locked but unistallation cant be locked . is there anyone to solve the issue . sorry for bad english :(

Shady282

Oct 1, 2013
i flashed another kernel and it is not that good... is it possible to find the kernel and just flash it ? without reflashing the rom?

behappy

Mar 28, 2010
i flashed another kernel and it is not that good... is it possible to find the kernel and just flash it ? without reflashing the rom?
You should be able to get the stock kernel back by "dirty flashing":
-boot into recovery (twrp)
-flash ROM *without* wiping anything.

Not to lecture, but this can all be prevented by following this simply advice:
-ALWAYS take a backup before flashing anything/customizing this or that.
-ALWAYS double and triple check that the ROM/Kernel/Whatever you're flashing is for your SPECIFIC MODEL and CARRIER.

Happy modding :D

steventrannn

May 10, 2012
Hello everyone.
I am newbie here.
I own t-mobiles lg g3 and updraded to marshmallow as the ota updates became available. But due to certain reasons, i wanted to install custom rom. The primary hurdle was rooting the device. Through trial and error method i have now successfully installed the fulmics 5.3.

Through mobile's browser, google for kingsroot. Download and install. ( donot reboot as this is temporary root, one the cell is rebooted the device will regain its previous status).
Now download flashify from play store and open the app. It will give three options. Select the first option ( browse image file or some thing like this) and select the twrp file you have recently downloaded. The flash will b completed in few seconds.
Now reboot the device in recovery mood ( either by turning off the cell, and then pressing simultaneously volume down+ power button, as the lg logo appears, release the power key and again press it. You will see two options, select the YES twice.
In recovery mode, first select wipe, advance wipe, system and then slide to wipe. Once done, go back and install the custom rom. After the successful installation, dont select the reboot option. Instead go back and again select wipe, factory reset.
Thanx.

I did this but got stuck on the LG logo boot screen. What am I doing wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone.
    I am newbie here.

Thanx.
    KingoRoot just seems shady to me, I wouldn't touch it personally. Here's what I did (just yesterday), from Stock MM Unrooted:
    1. Downgrade back to original factory stock image: http://www.androidexplained.com/downgrade-lg-g3/
    2. Root (used PurpleDrake "manual" method as auto script didn't work): http://lgg3root.com/lg-g3-root/how-to-root-lg-g3/
    3. Once rooted, install SuperSU & TWRP Manager from Play Store
    4. From TWRP Manager install latest version of TWRP
    5. Boot into TRWP and do a factory reset/clear cache; flash ROM (Blisspop for me, but same general steps should apply for any ROM) and Gapps from TWRP; factory reset/clear cache again for good measure

Edit: Data works with 20B modem.
    Man! Thanks for this! I have been looking everywhere for a way to do this and you are all the help I needed! Thank you!!!:D