FORUMS

View Poll Results: Is This easy and working for you.

Easy and working

3 Vote(s)
60.00%
Easy but not working

1 Vote(s)
20.00%
Working but not Easy

1 Vote(s)
20.00%
Neither Easy nor Working

0 Vote(s)
0%

[Guide][Tutorial] Root TWRP LG G5 using Autorecowvery[H830 & V20A only][Noobfriendly]

413 posts
Thanks Meter: 343

Post Reply Email Thread
This is guide to root and install twrp on lg g5 T-Mobile using recowvery method.
Read 4th post before proceeding
This method is to root & install TWRP on only T-Mobile LG G5 running Nougat 20a software. If your phone isn't on 20a then first downgrade/upgrade to 20a software.
Before asking a question, first, see FAQ in 3rd post. In that way you can save a lot of time.

For Video Guide refer to 5th Post

You need to disable antivirus before extracting files. Because we are using DirtyCow vulnerability here. Which is technically a virus (It's not dangerous for pc but for exploiting android to get root access). If you can't disable AV then don't proceed because process will not work

Download:
1: Recowvery (2nd post)
2: Minimal adb (2nd post)
3: TWRP
A: H830 | For H850 (Refer to this Post and read carefully)
[Download TWRP 3.0.2 as 3.1.0 is having some little issues with flashing with autorecowvery] Always download latest TWRP available for your device to avoid most issues.
(rename it to recovery.img)

Recovery Rename

Procedure:
Drivers should be installed. Also install minimal ADB and fastboot.

1: Make sure to unlock bootloader. Backup internal data because it will be erased.
A: First enable developer options and toggle “Enable OEM unlock” to ON. Also enable “USB Debugging”.
B: Run Minimal ADB and Fastboot. Enter Command

Code:
adb devices
Devices

C: You will see permission dialogue on phone. Tick “Always allow” and ok.
D: Now enter.

Code:
adb reboot bootloader
E: Now phone be in fastboot mode. Enter

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
F: This will wipe all data on internal storage. Now Enter

Code:
fastboot reboot
G: Now OS will get booted. Bootloader will be unlocked but phone should be in factory reset condition. So again enable “USB Debugging”.

THEN

2: Connect phone with pc in MTP mode and copy recovery.img to phone’s internal storage (Make sure to select MTP as always to avoid problem during procedure). Extract recowvery software. (If it causes permission problems extract it to USB device and perform process from there)

Copy Recovery

Like this

3: Run “EasyRecowvery.cmd”. Press “5” -->Enter then press “7” -->Enter to disable integrity check. Then enter “0” to go back. Skip it if you are using Recowvery G5 modified.

Recovwery Run

Like it

4: Now press “2” and wait until it says warning. Press “y” -->Enter. (It won't say warning in Recowvery G5 modified)

Option 2

Op 2

opt 3

5: It will do rest process. After Flashing TWRP it will flash “no-opt-encrypt” (This is most important to save twrp from being removed by OS)

encrypt

6: Phone will boot into TWRP. Here on phone it will ask for decrypt code. Cancel it. Swipe to allow modification.

7: On pc press any key, the flashing process on phone will automatically get started. Then it will reboot into OS.

8: To flash supersu, select option 3 from recowvery windows and phone will boot into twrp. Same as step 5-6 it will automatically flash supersu.
Now Your rooted and have twrp install.

Note: For removing Encryption.
To flash a custom rom and remove encryption in twrp, you need to once format data in twrp else you won’t be able to wipe and install any custom rom in your phone.

Remove encrypt
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
28th March 2017, 07:45 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Attachments
Recowvery G5 modified is fully working, so you can try it.
I'm still keeping easyrecowvery 1.3 in this thread as a backup plan.

Read Read Read Before using This
Test Version --> Ricksy-Recowvery | Mirror
(Ricksy Recowvery is streamlined, checks free version of EasyRecowvery. It has no unlock checks, no model verification so use it only if you're fully sured about what you're doing. It includes but isn't limited to unlocked bootloader, USB Debugging Enabled, Being on V20a firmware, LG Drivers installed, PC allowed as Trusted in USB Debugging as always)
Remember to copy latest TWRP to root of internal storage as recovery.img before proceeding.

Copy-Recowvery-Just-like
Old Test

There is also Addition of Recowvery G5 modified 2.0 Test version as well (This script has some additional features)
(I have also turned off most security checks, so you should have an more easy rooting experience. However, this increase risk of bricking device if you do not read things properly). If you can provide your experience of using this script please share your knowledge.

Download Test version either from here or here or through attachments
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
28th March 2017, 07:46 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
FAQ
  • Recowvery tool is causing permission errors when I run it through computer's internal HDD storage. What shall I do?
Ans: There are possibly 2 workarounds for that.
A: Extract the zip to external USB storage and Run the tool.
B: Change the name of folder, in which recowvery tool is, to "1" and copy to root of storage e.g. "Computer:\D:\1".
  • Can I re-lock my bootloader after rooting and TWRP flashing?
Ans: No, as recovery partition modified now, this will brick your device.
  • Can I use V20C or later on my phone after rooting and flashing TWRP?
And: You can't take OTA after rooting as this might create a brick but fortunately @autoprime created TWRP flashable zips of firmwares e.g 20c,20f,20i and he might create newer builds too. Anyways here's the Auto Prime's thread, Go to "LG G5 Files" link and download file as per your variant and choice.
  • I bricked my phone after following this guide and now I can access only download mode, what shall I do now?
  • I'm on other version than 20a, What shall I do?
Ans: Really? It seems like you're kidding because this guide can never harm your device, It can either do it's work or not but there is no way for it to brick a device (Unless you don't read carefully).
Ans: You can take your phone back to v20a by using the following guide.
Anyways
You can always bring your phone back to life by following this Back to Life thread.
  • How to remove encryption in TWRP? or I'm unable to access my phone's internal storage from TWRP, What shall I do?
Ans: So for this process.
a: Boot into twrp.
(you can boot to TWRP by any app or by vol- and power button combination or from option “5” --> “5” in recowvery toolkit (command window).
b: In TWRP, cancel code Windows, Swipe to allow modification then
Click -->Wipe-->Format Data-->type “yes”-->enter.

You need to do this only once. After that you can flash roms and zips unlimited times.
  • Will this root method work on 20c/d/e/f or others?
Well, it shouldn't. Because I tried this on 20c and it never worked, so I believe it will not work on any software other than 20a because LG removed that exploit to root after 20a. But you can try your luck and tell me if you succeed.
  • a: Thanks a lot i have one lg g5 h830 and i have some fear to lose the unlocking and i want to modify the phone.
    b: Same i have anyone please answer it will i lost the UNLOCKING (Modified by shopkeeper) if i FLASH another ROM?
What are you people trying to ask here?
Bootloader Unlock:
Bootloader can be locked and unlocked anytime you can to do so just by typing commands in fastboot mode. In T-Mobile G5 the fastboot mode do not accept flash command that's why we can only lock and unlock bootloader.
TWRP:
As commands are limited in fastboot mode of T-Mobile G5, we are unable to flash twrp through fastboot mode. So, for this process we rely vulnerability found in G5 firmware. The only currently found method for doing so is by using dirtycow exploit to flash TWRP on H830. Only V20a contains this vulnerability to do so.
Summary:
So to flash TWRP and enjoy freedom of using custom rom (Which I suppose you refer as Unlock to) you need to be on V20a. Which can be flashed easily through LGUP with Uppercut or use my LG FlashTool method (Link in FAQ section). When on V20a firmware simply use this or your preferred method for flashing TWRP.
If you want to go back to stock, simply flash any stock KDZ and lock bootloader. If you want to get TWRP again, simply unlock bootloader and flash V20a kdz (or flash V20a kdz and unlock bootloader) then instal TWRP by using the process.

Important:
Currently our stock firmwares are running Anti-Rollback (ARB 01), LG can increment this whenever they want, whenever LG increase ARB to 02 or upper then you won't be able to get back to ARB 01 firmwares (e.g V20a ) again. Which means you can unlock bootloader but won't be able to flash TWRP as dirtycow is patched after 20a. So you will lose the ability to flash TWRP which means unlocked bootloader is useless unless someone finds another method of flashing TWRP.

So, if you want to stay unlocked, then make sure to install TWRP as described above and flash latest TWRP flashable stock base zips or use other roms like Fulmics or AOSP based. It's very simple and easy .
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
28th March 2017, 07:46 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
First of All:
After Flashing let me know about your experience by answering the poll, this will help me in updating this post.
POLL is ended, so let me know about your experience with toolkit and thread readability in comments.
Disclaimer:
Before proceeding, remember I’m not responsible for anything bad happened to your device by following this or any of my guide. I’m just trying to help. So always do it on your own risk…
Don’t blame me or Any other developer.
All tools here are developed by different personalities. I’m just providing a guide on using these tool. Always say thanks to me and them. And If possible, donate them. They really deserve it.

Thanks be to:
@jcadduono For Recowvery tool
Source thread [V20 originated]
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
28th March 2017, 07:46 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Due to some issue YouTube video aren't being played directly on XDA. So, you need to watch it here (Maybe some resistance on XDA side because things are good on my blog)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5PdTW8QHcA&t

Video Tutorial:
<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="270" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/F5PdTW8QHcA" width="480"></iframe>

https://youtu.be/G_4ayiZbSkM<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: center;">
<iframe width="320" height="266" class="YOUTUBE-iframe-video" data-thumbnail-src="https://i.ytimg.com/vi/G_4ayiZbSkM/0.jpg" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G_4ayiZbSkM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>
<br />

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dksoni411 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dksoni411 Ad-Free
30th March 2017, 11:17 AM |#6  
Flag Delhi
Thanks Meter: 21

More
For which software version is this applicable?
30th March 2017, 05:39 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunking

For which software version is this applicable?

Nougat v20a only as the thread title says.
1st April 2017, 10:04 AM |#8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Missouri
Thanks Meter: 2,095

Donate to Me
More
I had to extract to a USB device to get recowvery to work but it went smoothly from there, until I got to TWRP to flash the no verity zip. It hung on hit any key to continue, it didn't dawn on me till later I should have mounted USB storage (derp), but I already had the no verity zip and SuperSU on my external SD so I just flashed them manually, booted, and had root. Then I formatted data, lost root, and flashed SuperSU again to get it back. I later flashed @autoprime 20c zip with SuperSU and now I'm rooted with TWRP on 20c, tyvm for the tutorial
2nd April 2017, 04:20 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Missing

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char_G

I had to extract to a USB device to get recowvery to work but it went smoothly from there, until I got to TWRP to flash the no verity zip. It hung on hit any key to continue, it didn't dawn on me till later I should have mounted USB storage (derp), but I already had the no verity zip and SuperSU on my external SD so I just flashed them manually, booted, and had root. Then I formatted data, lost root, and flashed SuperSU again to get it back. I later flashed @autoprime 20c zip with SuperSU and now I'm rooted with TWRP on 20c, tyvm for the tutorial

First of all you welcome, 2nd thanks for writing about your experience.
I am not completely assured but to make recowvery work in internal hard drive you need to change the name of recowvery folder to "1". Next time whenever you root try this method and let me know wether it worked...
And as you mentioned about having difficulty in flashing no verity. I think this issue is happening only on TWRP 3.1.0, on TWRP 3.0.1 it works fine, i think .
3rd April 2017, 12:26 AM |#10  
Flag Steilacoom
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Does this method work with the latest update to 20f? Can I just try it without bricking my phone?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
3rd April 2017, 12:35 AM |#11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Missouri
Thanks Meter: 2,095

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dksoni411

First of all you welcome, 2nd thanks for writing about your experience.
I am not completely assured but to make recowvery work in internal hard drive you need to change the name of recowvery folder to "1". Next time whenevee you root try this method and let me know wether it worked...
And as you mentioned about having difficulty in flashing no verity. I think this issue is happening only on TWRP 3.1.0, on TWRP 3.0.1 it works fine, i think .

Thanks, I'll try that next time. I did use TWRP 3.0.1 though, but I'm thinking that without mounting USB storage, perhaps the verity zip couldn't be found to be flashed.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
lg g5 t-mobile root and twrp, root lg g5, t-mobile rooting

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)